Frosted Frog Christmas Ale - Hoppin' Frog Brewery

good

Hoppin' Frog Brewery visit their website
Ohio, United States

Winter Warmer |  8.60% ABV

(Beer added by: paco1029384756 on 11-16-2009)
3.63/5  rDev -2.4%

A- Pours a slightly murky copper red color with a thin white head that sticks around for awhile.

S- An overwhelming whiff of allspice and cinnamon dominate the nose of this beer. It smells just like one of those old fashioned Christmas stores.

T- Huge waves of nutmeg, allspice, cinnamon, clove and caramel malt. Really sweet with virtually no hop presence. I was expecting a dessert beer exactly but I think thats what I got.

M- Medium/full bodied with low carbonation.

D- Holy smokes! This beer is about as Christmas as beers gets. I like it ok, but I couldn't even try to drink more than one of these.

3.68/5  rDev -1.1%

2009 Vintage.

Appearance - Pours a chocolate red into a generic tulip. About a half finger of tan head is achieved with a moderate pour that dissipates relatively fast, leaving slight lacing.

Smell - A blast of cinnamon and nutmeg are immediately noticeable. Other Christmas spices flow from the glass, which is eventually followed by just a hint of caramel and malt.

Taste - Wow, similar to the nose. HEAVY spices...more so than any other beer I have experienced to be perfectly honest. I will say, quite the perfect Christmas beer.

Mouthfeel - Medium bodied, lower carbonation.

Drinkability - For sure a one and done. Pretty intense with spices and a bit overdone to be honest.

3.25/5  rDev -12.6%

Poured into a standard shaker pint glass as 'cellar floor' temperature. I must admit to surprise and disappointment on the pour. The head seemed to come out as would a carbonated soft drink. The minimal head last less than 30 seconds, and I'm now looking at a glass that has no head or lace. Color is a beautiful hue of red, which offers some saving grace to the appearance. I've noted that others were able to raise some head with theirs, so perhaps I have a bad bottle? I got it right from the brewery a few months ago, so I know its fresh.

The nose is lightly spiced, mostly cinnamon with some malty sweetness mixed in. Again, this bottle is below the standard I expect from beers from this brewer.

The taste definitely offers a cinnamon kick, with nutmeg coming in second, and ginger hardly making a show. A caramel maltiness is next in line, with no hop presence at all. The alcohol is only noticable with the warming as you swallow. I get more bitterness from the spices than from hops, but that is expected for this style. Carbonation seems awfully low ... perhaps the reason I wasn't able to rouse any kind of head. With the low carbonation, the mouthfeel is medium+. Drinkability isn't huge, as the spiciness and rather flat carbonation seem to take the life out of this. I'll finish the bomber, but if I had another, I wouldn't open it .. I'd try to trade it.

I've had lots of Hoppin' Frog brews, and most of them are in the 'A' range ... which is why this beer is so puzzling to me. I guess its possible that I just got a bad bottle that had a poor cap seal, and it decarbed over the 3 months that I've had it. Nonetheless, this was a huge Christmas disappointment. I wouldn't necessarily base your judgement of this beer on this review, because this is definitely not typical of this brewery. If you get a chance to pick one up, do so, as this bottle has to be an anomaly.

Na Zdravje!

4.08/5  rDev +9.7%

Bottle with Oglmcdgl at the Hulmeville Inn. Cliff notes

Frosted frog comes into the glass looking bright brown hazy red with a nice firm cap of brown/tan foam that left small notches. Good retention. Frosty has a nose on it, this one is a pungent sonofabitch. Smell is christmas cheer with cinnamon, candi canes, ginger, nutmeg and just a bunch of spice. Frosted travels up the nostrils. Taste takes a step back from that. Nice amounts of cinnamon clash with the spices leaving a warming effect on the tounge, they dancin. Brown suga and some candy apple. Cant taste the booze under the mound of additions in this one. Feel is a bold medium with some staying power on the mouth. Sweet, spicy and not cloying or approaching it, very approachable. Not spritzy, very smooth and a coater on the tounge. I drank half a bottle and wanted more. A sipper or a gulper, you decide.

4.03/5  rDev +8.3%

A bottle split with onix1agr at the hulme.

A- two good fingers of off white head from hard pour that settles rather quickly to leave a bunch of cascading lace, a solid ring and a this skin on top. Hazy red orange brown in color.

S- wow that a lot of spice probably more then I've ever come across in any beer I've ever smelled. Cinnamon and not fake cinnamon the real shit that has a huge wintergreen character to it. Cloves, nutmeg, some dried orange peel. Toasted cinnamon raisin bread with brown sugar on top. I get a bit of winterberry shrubbery, I know it sounds crazy but if you've ever smell one you will know.

T- a good interplay between sweet and spice. The cinnamon and cloves are still there but to a lesser extent then in the nose. Brown sugar and caramel like sweetness with a good but of toasted bread and roasted malts. I'm kinda glad that its not as aggressive on flavor as it is on the nose.

M- just about medium in body maybe a tick fuller with a good mediumish carb that fits just right. The spices do a number on the palate with a slightly astringent quality. You can feel the spices.

D- this is one hell of a winter warmer. The spice is extremely bold in the nose but not as heavy in the taste. One I'm glad I tried and one ill try again with people on a special occasion when it fits the bill.

3.78/5  rDev +1.6%

Poured from a 22oz bottle into a pint glass. Pours a cloudy copper with minimal ivory-colored head.

Smells of ginger, cloves, cinnamon and allspice. Very spicy indeed!

Sweet and spicy, with a decent amount of malt. Cinnamon, ginger and clove dominate, with a fruity ending. Absolutely no bitter at all; rather a peppery finish.

Medium bodied, this has a nice mouthfeel.

Rather drinkable, I can't wait to try their barrel aged Christmas ale.

1.38/5  rDev -62.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1.5

From 22oz bomber

Bottom line: Way overspiced. Really. I mean way, way overspiced. I appreciate Hoppin' Frog pushing it to the limit here, but it literally reaches said limit and jumps the shark.

Cinnamon and spice and everything nice - but in steriodal proportions that made me extremely nauseous - this coming from a man with an iron stomach.

I can certainly say I tried, but this one hit the drain.

Avoid this EPIC FAILURE at all costs.

1.63/5  rDev -56.2%

22oz bottle recieved as an extra. Thanks!

A- Pours a medium amber/ruby with brownish tints. Medium off-white head.
S- Cinnamon, cinnamon, and some other spices. Way too overpowering.
T- Awful. A blatant assault of cinnamon and spices. Way too strong, no balance.
M- Medium body.
D- Negative. After my first sip I wish I could have taken it back.

Overall - This is an abysmal attempt at a beer. If you want your taste-buds to take a cinnamon beating, and the idea of liquid red-hots beer excites you, then give this a shot. Otherwise, try any other half-way decent winter warmer that isn't spices just for the sake of spices.

1.48/5  rDev -60.2%

Bottle picked up at Rick's in Alexandria. Thanks, Jon, for warning me. Unfortunately, Amyliz4 insisted that we buy and drink this. Even worse, she likes it. Served in a St. Bernardus goblet.

Pours a moderate brown color with a bit of a crimson hue. Single-finger head falls quite quickly without any lacing. A thin collar around the edges with a bit of a spiderweb cap on top. Nose is straight-up cinnamon. Cinnamon domination here. That'll open up your nostrils. Not offensive, just quite overpowering.

Then comes the taste. Are you kidding me? Half a jar of cinnamon into some lightly-sweetened water. Carbonate it up a bit and you've got Frosted Frog! Wow, this is not a good-tasting beer. I suppose aside from the cinnamon there's also a bit of light spruce character. Either way, this is just a cinnamon bomb and basically unpalatable. Son of a lady frog does this taste stay with me...I really can't get it out of my mouth. I don't even know if a shot of gin would work at this point. Mouthfeel? Spice. Cinnamon. Yuck. I'd drainpour the rest of this bottle if Amy didn't insist on drinking it all.

3.53/5  rDev -5.1%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Pours a hazy deep reddish to amber color with a small off white head. In the aroma, clove, licorice, anise, cinnamon, and ginger. In the taste, big dry cinnamon, then a mixture of spices, and ends with a dry clove taste. A cinnamon/ spice bite and a medium bodied mouthfeel, with a small dry cinnamon and clove aftertaste. Big spice, but nice. I bet this would age nicely, as well as, I would love to find the barrel aged version.

A- Body is a beautiful dark, transparent mahogany hue. Bubbles can be seen slowly rising to the top. Pours with a one finger or so eggshell head this slowly fades to a thin collar-and no lacing is left behind in the glass.

S- Nose is quite spicy-lots of nutmeg with a bit of cinnamon as well and hust a hint of ginger. A sublte maltiness and a hint of warm alcohol lie in the background.

T- Taste is similar to the nose. The hot ginger comes through a lot more in the flavor with nutmeg and cinnamon to compliment it. A mild chocolate and caramel background can be detected. The cinnamon and nutmeg come through a bit more for the finish as the ginger fades a bit and a slight alcohol astringency hits for the finish as well. Mainly nutmeg lingers with a soft warm alcohol blanket.

M- Low to medium carbonation and medium weight body that is slightly dry.

D- This is a good brew overall-and pretty much what I think of when I think "winter warmer" the spices dominate and there is a slight warmth. This reminds me of a spiced scotch ale. Very good overall.

4.22/5  rDev +13.4%

22oz bottle from Ale Yeah! in Decatur. Pours a dark orange with a somewhat short head. Redolant of spices in the nose. Nice cinammon, ginger, and lesser nutmeg aromas. Slightly sweet in the mouth, with bubblegum to start, followed by more spice- particularly ginger, with some cinnamon and nutmege in equal parts, and a finish that has more maltiness. Quite nice for the winter. Smooth, slightly sweet, and a bit nutty on the finish. I enjoyed this.

3.18/5  rDev -14.5%
look: 3 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

The beer was chilled and served in a pint glass.

Appearance: The body of the beer is ruby colored. The head was pale white with very little retention. No lacing marks my glass.

Smell: The aroma of the beer is mulled apple cider with nice spicy nutmeg, cinnamon, cardamon, ginger, brown sugar, and molasses.

Taste: Very sweet spicy apple pie hits my palate. The spiced flavor is as I expected from the aroma. The spices give a bit of bitterness to balance the brews sweetness. No alcohol is present in the flavor.

Mouthfeel / Drinkability: The body is medium. The carbonation is low and at times seems flat. The beer isnt a drain pour but not sure I would repeat this beer again. Given the choice between this beer or Anchor Steam Christmas I am rolling with Anchor Steam.

4.1/5  rDev +10.2%

Poured from a 22 oz bottle into a snifter.

A: Pours a clear ruby red with a disappearing beige head.
S: Heavy cinnamon and nutmeg.
T: More heavy spices: cinnamon, nutmeg, and certainly ginger, decent malt backbone.
M: Smooth, lightly carbonated, medium body.
D: Very heavy on the spices; if you like that, you'll like this beer, but it is an acquired taste.

3.65/5  rDev -1.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Poured a Bright Amber/Red with a medium beige head. Sweet malt and huge spice aroma that is mostly cinnamon with a sprinkle of ginger and Nutmeg. Flavor is an absolute spice bomb. Tastes like chewing on a stick of Big Red. Some ginger and light malty sweetness as well. I Started liking Spiced Beers this year, especially Pumpkin Ales, and have always wondered whether there was such a thing as too much. I DID like this beer, but it did cross that line. I wonder if the BA Frosted Frog would Settle down the "Spice" a little?

4.1/5  rDev +10.2%

Poured from (22 FL. OZ.) bottle label 9830407877

Poured a light brown w/ amber hues - very little head that was almost instantly gone - not unusual for a high abv% brew - minimal lacing - light carbonation.

Smell - fresh baked apple pie - fresh apples,cinnamon,nutmeg and ginger.

Taste - Warming spices, cinnamon ,nutmeg, fruits and toasty malts, nice finish for a strong brew, well balanced , maybe a bit to much cinnamon - all things considered a sweet tasty Christmas treat - it would make a great after Christmas dinner desert drink.

Drinkability was decent for a higher abv% brew, I will probably get another bottle or two .

( side note ) -as it warms it really gets complex and the different spices are more evident.

3.9/5  rDev +4.8%

pours amber ruby hazelnut wiith a 1/4 finger head that fades fast and left no lacing

smells like xmas!! -- a fresh wintery wonderland

taste is the liquid form of a cool candycane cinnamon nutmeg ginger bread man - by far the best tasting xmas beer

mouthfeel is flat and boring

drinkability - despite the great taste the mouthfeel kills it and 22oz was a lot to stomach

3.9/5  rDev +4.8%

A- Pours a pretty bright red color with a fairly thin off white head. Head has okay retention and leaves some spotty lacing too.

S- Quite a bit of spices here. Cinnamon ginger, and nutmeg are front and center. Not too much else here going on.

T- Pretty spicey beer here. Follows the nose well. Not too much else other thant the spice. A bit of a malt base in bready and caramel, but no hops at all.

M- Medium in body and carbonation.

D- Missed out on this one last year. I enjoyed this one and find it easy to drink. The price just like most of Hoppin Frog is what keeps me from coming back to this one often.

2.63/5  rDev -29.3%

22 ounce bottle. Served in a nonic pint glass, the beer pours a reddish/copper color with about a half inch off-white head. Head retention and lacing were both decent enough. Aroma is all sweet spices, with nutmeg, cinnamon and ginger all noticable. The taste is like the aroma, it's all spice. Unfortunately that's not a good thing because all the spice just didn't agree with me after a while. I think the ginger flavor in this brew was way too strong compared to the other spices. As the beer warmed up more, it seemed like the ginger just got stronger. Mouthfeel/body is light/medium, it seems a bit thin at times, and has moderate carbonation. Drinkability is below average, it certainly wasn't enjoyable to finish this bomber. I think if the spices had more balance in the flavor instead of being so heavy on the ginger, I would have liked this beer more.

3.78/5  rDev +1.6%

Bottle: Poured a light clear copper color ale with a small foamy head with OK retention and no lacing. Aroma of cinnamon and nutmeg is quite dominant and very enjoyable. Taste is also dominated by loads of cinnamon and nutmeg with lightly sweet malty backbone. Body is a bit light for style with average carbonation. I really enjoyed the spicing of this beer but the malt presence was a bit low for my own taste.

3.88/5  rDev +4.3%

I poured this one into a New Belgium snifter. It poured a dark, dark burnt amber with a light white head that sat atop the brew. The smell was fantastic. It was heavy on cinnamon, ginger, and especially nutmeg (just as stated on the bottle). It also smelled slightly sweet with no alcohol to be found. The taste wasn't quite as good as the smell but it was still pretty solid. I'd say it's kind of like a stronger brown ale with spices. The spices kind of overpower any traditional beer flavor. The mouthfeel was great. It was medium bodied and drank very, very smoothly. Overall I'd say it's pretty drinkable. It has good flavor and goes down smooth. I liked it.

4.35/5  rDev +16.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 3.5

served from a bomber into a chalice

A- Pours a dark reddish-amber hue, it had very little head and what it did have dissipated quickly

S- BAM! It hits you hard with the cinnamon upfront, and some ginger, nutmeg, and malt... It smells like a gingerbread cookie... also boozy especially when it warms and then maybe some citrus peel and some brown sugar

T- Lots of flavor... cinnamon, pretty boozy, and bready... again like a cinnamon/gingerbread cookie... a tiny bit of dark berries on the finish... the cinnamon sticks with you throughout(like their pumpkin ale)

M- More carbonated than I anticipated(a good thing)... creamy but also crip enough to keep me sipping

D- Wouldn't be able to drink too many of these because of the richness but then again you can NEVER complain about too much flavor right? It definitely does the name winter warmer justice

IMO this is easily the King of all maltier Christmas beers... just flavor-wise blows everything else out of the water and as soon its distribution increases I am sure it will catch on even more

4.2/5  rDev +12.9%

Reviewed on 8-15-10
Reviewed cold from a bottle to a glass

A - Poured one finger of foam, carbonation is present, brew is reddish in color

S - Lots of spices, cinnamon nutmeg and heavy on the ginger, brown sugar

T/M - Medium bodied but due to all the spiced flavor present, a little gritty taste but only because of all the spices

D - Very drinkable winter warmer, great holiday brew to have even in August, I would get this brew again but for sure share with others, at times the spices got a little over whelming. I do recommend this brew and I will get this again

2.8/5  rDev -24.7%

Ruby in the light, a dark amber otherwise, this beer was ultimately the color of maple syrup.

Smelled of nutmeg and ginger, but for the most part, it smelled of CINNAMON. Pure, raw, dry cinnamon.

The taste was much of the same. The cinnamon overpowered pretty much everything else. It was dry and almost powdery tasting. I like Christmas Ales, but this was was a let down because the spicing was waaayy too strong.

Drinkability was almost as low as it gets. We split our bomber amongst FOUR people and still it was nearly a chore to finish.

Overall an interesting brew, but it tasted like they were trying too hard. I don't foresee myself buying this anytime soon, that is, unless I can't find any GLBC or Thirsty Dog this holiday season....

3.88/5  rDev +4.3%

I enjoyed this change of pace. Not too sweet, the natural sweetness of cinammon is well blended by ginger's pungency, and some spice from nutmeg. Ginger is usually off-putting to me, with few exceptions. This was one. Too much for one to finish the bomber. The mouthfeel is easy, and it is not thick. The beer smelled winter warmer.May have enjoyed it more at a supper.

Frosted Frog Christmas Ale from Hoppin' Frog Brewery