Hop Dam Triple IPA - Hoppin' Frog Brewery

Hop Dam Triple IPAHop Dam Triple IPA

Hoppin' Frog Brewery visit their website
Ohio, United States

(Beer added by: imaguitargod on 02-14-2010)
2.15/5  rDev -45.4%

On a perpetual IPA kick-and haven't tried any of Hoppin Frogs IPAs- so I picked this one up at VE.

A- Body is a nice hazy dark copper/amber hue. Pours with a minimal head which soon fades to a thick collar and leaves lacing all the way down the glass.

S- The nose is very earthy. Earthy and herbal hops abound everywhere. A hint of spicy hops is in there too. Lots of alcohol astringency and a grainy malt backbone.

T- Herbal, grassy and spicy hops upfront. A hint of citrus in the background. The finish turns a little as the greeness of the herbal hops really comes out and a nail polish like alcohol astringency comes through as well as a grainy bitterness. Left to linger is a trace of herbal hops, and a big hop and alcohol bitterness.

M- Low to medium carbonation, and a slightly oily hop body-medium weight. Actually the body is done quite well and is the highlight of the beer. I wish more IPAs had a similar mouthfeel.

O- Esentially I wasted $18 on a disgusting mess. As I drink more I am really not liking it anymore although the mouthfeel is growing on me. Worth a try- if sharing with a million people.

PittBeerGirl, Oct 01, 2011
2.26/5  rDev -42.6%

On tap at Hops and Pie. Dark orange, minimal head. Overwhelming aroma of paws an cheese, sort of foot like, Summit hops? Flavor was more Parmesan, extremely bitter and very unpleasant to say the least. I feel sorry for anyone who dropped $18 on this, it sucks.

ArrogantB, Mar 04, 2014
2.3/5  rDev -41.6%

Poured a bright orange with lots and lots and lots and lots and lots and lots and lots and lots of sediment. Easily the chunkiest beer I have ever seen. A light soap ring of a head.

Doesn't really smell all that hoppy for a TRIPEL IPA, a light medicinal quality with a bit of mineral.

The flavor is a big grassy bitter mess, mild toasted malts sort of sneak through, but its bitter herbal and grassy hops. It seems to be missing most of the tasty hop flavors and just full of bitterness and old lawn clippings with some alcohol sweetness.

The mouthfeel is thick and chewy, literally chewy.

This beer is an absolut train wreck of a giant IPA, will avoid in the future.

bashiba, Aug 16, 2011
2.5/5  rDev -36.5%
look: 3 | smell: 2.25 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.5

Review from Feb 2012

Poured from a 22 I got from the brewery earlier this year. Should be fresh.

A: Pours a golden, almost amber color with a dense white head. Head slowly fade to just a ring around the exterior and leaves no lacing behind.

S: My first thought as I poured this one was overwhelmingly of fresh wet grassy aromas. As I smell the beer more I get some bubblegum and perhaps a bit of citrus and onion.

T: Taste is not as bitter as I was expecting from this "triple ipa". Flavors are hoppy and the oniony smell is translating into the flavor, which I don't care for. Mid sip grassy flavors are present along with a sweetness from the grain. As the beer warms I can taste more citrus/grapefruit flavors, but the onion taste dominates.

M: Great medium full body with a good amount of carbonation. This beer does not leave much bitterness behind. I've had IPAs that tasted more bitter than this.

O: While this was a well crafted beer with little to no off flavors I was expecting more. As noted above I've had single IPAs that taste more bitter than this and leave a more bitter aftertaste (ex: huma lupa licious). Also, whatever kind of hop gives that onion flavor (summit?) is disgusting. This reminds me of Gubna in that aspect, and I don't enjoy that beer either.

spartanfan, Aug 08, 2013
2.55/5  rDev -35.3%

Pours dark bronze with a ton of floating sediment. Head is slight and soapy, leaving a thin sheen.

Aroma is caramel and toffee with a mild musty hop quality reminiscent of nugget hop, or wet hay.

Taste is more of the musty, nuggety hop funk from the nose, but much more pronounced, along with an intense piney quality that somehow doesn't match up. Very dry and woody with a touch of nut. The caramel and toffee also make an appearance, but are understated in the flavor. Finishes with tobacco and an odd musty funk.

Mouthfeel is medium-full. Quite thick.

Overall a very unusual flavor. Musty and funky, with massive piney and floral undertones. Not what I was expecting.

Blakaeris, Aug 16, 2011
2.58/5  rDev -34.5%

Poured from a bomber into a tulip glass.

A: Hazy, light amber color with lopsided off-white foam residue. Scant lacing remains on the glass and suspended sediment is heavy to the point of being distracting.

S: Light caramel and a trace of herbaceous and piney hops make for a smell that is unremarkable, considering the style, yet inoffensive. No alcohol is detected.

T: Begins off-dry, with early artificial pine hop aromatics, muted butterscotch, and husky crystal malt that is backed by mild acidity. Flavors turn earthy in the middle, intensely English in the qualities presented by the hops, but a bit reckless. Columbus hop flavors become aggressive in the finish--very bitter with medicinal overtones that are not helped either by some late booziness that is present.

M: Medium viscosity, while it is astringent on the palate it stops short of disaster, with low carbonation.

D/O: Another kitchen-sink DIPA that embraces a more-must-be-better philosophy but comes across as muddled at best. Lingering astringent bitterness wrecks the palate, but no payoff is provided.

beagle75, Aug 16, 2011
2.7/5  rDev -31.5%

Chilled bomber into a glass.

No bottle date. I'm assuming it's fresh.

A: Pours a clear straw/gold body with substantial off-white head. Retention isn't great, and neither is the lacing.

S: Solventy! Leafy, tea-like hops with pine and some citrus.

T: Not as solventy as the nose. Actually not a bad flavor. Dominated by leafy, tea-like hops with pine needles and a touch of grapefruit rind. My issue is that it's really harsh, astringent, and bitter. Not a lot of hop flavor but there is a lot of hop bitterness.

M: Full-bodied, heavy, with low carb.

D: It's not awful... But again, it's harsh, astringent, and very bitter. Not particularly enjoyable, and it's not something I would recommend as anything more than a middling benchmark of the style.

Arbitrator, Aug 18, 2010
2.78/5  rDev -29.4%

Appears a bright copper amber when poured into my Allagash chalice, off white khaki off white head forms thick after a vigorous pour. I can tell the body is a bi viscous after the pour and carbonation has a hard time keeping up with the loads of malt and hops pushed into this beer. Fine even speckled patterns of lacing with each sip form on the sides of my glass.

Aroma has a strong assaulting onslaught of hops going on including fresh cut green onions and strong aromatic citrus peels. This reminds me a lot of Green Flash DIPA, a bit of pungent Mary Jane and tropical fruit tones blend in as well. Alcohol comes through amongst the wave of hops, malts do back up the hops but this one has potential to burn nostril hairs.

Flavor has an abusive level of hop bitterness and flavor. Raw herbaceous hops collide with booze to provide quite the unbalanced beast, which is what your going for with a Triple IPA. Hop pellets loads hit the palate with Grapefruit rinds, pine, and more green onion. It almost numbs the palate, so much that the balance between the malts and hops is completely abolished even in the hoppiest brews around I love for there to be some harmony rolling between the barrage of hop bitterness/flavors with the malts and alcohol. This one hits me with the booze and hop abrasiveness, and that pretty much sticks around. My palate is shot for further drinking and savoring of any other brews for the evening. Really not an enjoyable experience going on here.

Mouthfeel, this brew numbs the palate with hop bitterness and alcohol burn, it doesn't hide the 10% abv at all this is a booze bomb. Between those two abrasive qualities it doesn't make for a pleasant experience, carbonation I have no complaints with but the alcohol burn in my nares and on my breath doesn't do it for me. There are plenty of DIPAs out there that have the same alcohol without the abrasive fusel quality.

Drinkability overall is pretty poor too damn extreme for it's own good, throwing loads of hops and malts doesn't always equate to good beer. I love most of this small brewer's efforts but this one most definitely strikes out with me, at a beerfest a couple years back I drank silk porter ran through a tower of coffee beans and it was mindblowingly drinkable and flavorful at the same time.

WVbeergeek, Apr 15, 2010
2.83/5  rDev -28.2%

Thanks to CaptCleveland for sending me a box overflowing with Hoppin' Frog, including this big bellower as an extra. Opened with a 1917 German cavalry sword & tossed into two glasses.

Pours a solid orange that could qualify as toxic sludge; it looks coiled to strike. Nose of dirty, earthy pineapple, punctuated with bitterness. Huh.

Hop Dam Triple IPA should have dialed back the malts & let the hops shine through; this wanders into muddied barleywine territory. Big sweet malts greet the palate with a crushing handshake, along with caramel, slight oxidation (never a fan), before the hops show their faces. But they're faces obscured by malts. Good bittering, but whatever flavors the triple hopping imparted are subsumed in a flow of malting. Light on carbonation & heavy in the tummy, really kicks the drinkability in the sac; my wife ended up finishing my half of the bomber.

I'm not sure, but I think this is too malty. Did I mention that? It is. Too many breweres triple or double everything & end with a malt bomb, & this is that. Not bad, but just a fingernail above mediocre.

maximum12, Nov 06, 2011
2.98/5  rDev -24.4%

It pours a hazy gold with large chunks of yeast in it. I poured gently into two glass without a full stop and left a half inch in the bottle, but the second glass still got yeast.

The smell is a nondescript hoppiness, the taste is similar with a strong bitter astringency.

This is just not an impressive beer, and I am skeptical that it is a triple IPA. The hop profile is just uninteresting and not particularly intense. Seems more like an average standard DIPA to me.

With the recent price gouging trend, I am incorporating value into my reviews. For the price, this should be one of best beers in the world. It as far from it. Go buy 4 bottles of Lagunitas Hop Stoopid instead (or 2.5 bottles of Pizza Port Hop 15, a 6-pack of Hop Slam, etc.)

Tbone, Mar 19, 2010

Lanstrum, May 11, 2013

ODYSEYY, Sep 20, 2013

ejimhof, Mar 23, 2013

mater, Nov 14, 2011

jenray, Nov 25, 2011

pest, Nov 23, 2011

Rau71, Jun 18, 2012

First $18.00 bucks for a pint bottle, holy shit.

Poured into a glass from an ice cold bottle. Darker in color almost amber in color. Nice carbonation, poured aggressively it produced a 2 finger head. I do smell citrus and hints of pine.

The mouth feel is medium not overly thick but not thin. Nice carbonation.

I immediately get the bitter notes with a hint of citrus, I does have an aftertaste with some lasting bitterness. I am also getting a slight oiliness with the mouth feel.

Its good but the price and the aggressive bitter aftertaste would not bring me back to this one.

bleedsblu, Aug 26, 2014

MathNut, Jul 14, 2012
3.1/5  rDev -21.3%

Thanks to Ataraxia for this extra. Hop Dam pours a completely opaque color that lies somewhere between light-copper and swampy-brown. Murky to the core and obviously unfiltered, the off-white cap retains well for a brew with higher alcohol content and leaves an extremely generous amount of fat and sticky lacing along the sides of the glass. Even once the beer is gone, some white lace remains near the top.

I stick my face into the glass and my nose is hit immediately with a bunch of sweet malts. I find this problem (although I don't know if it should be considered a "problem" per se) often with "Triple" IPAs or IPAs that are "over the edge"... the malt bill must be large enough to stand up to the crazy overload of hops, and in turn, the beer becomes more of a sweet malty concoction rather than a hop-heavy bitter bruiser. The initial whiff of Hop Dam seems to be leading me down this road.

There are definitely some sticky citrus aromas, along with a light pungency of pine and floral hops, but there's no mistaking the huge malt backbone in this one. Lots of caramel, toffee, and butterscotch aromas that actually outplay the hops by quite a bit. Very sweet and almost candy-like to the nostrils. It doesn't smell bad, but I don't know if I wan't my IPAs to smell like this exactly.

As expected, the first sip induces a great amount of bread, toasted caramel, and super huge toffee flavors into my palate. The beer is quite heavy; sticky and thick and borderline chewy, which plays even more into the hands of the heavy malt bill. Hops are sadly secondary, but they do eventually surface once the initial malt-shock mellows out and subsides. They have a lightly citric, but mostly earthy character.

The bitterness provided by the hops barely puts a dent in the sweetness from the malt. I wouldn't go so far as to call Hop Dam "cloying", but I certainly don't want my IPA to be this sweet. Once the taste of the earthy, dirty, mildly-citric hops fades, the aftertaste is left with the leftover malt flavors. The palate finishes with big-time caramel and toffee that coats your taste buds to the (not-so-bitter) end. A little more lively carbonation would have help the thick, sticky mouth feel on this one.

It's not like this beer was offensive or tough to put down, but it doesn't really qualify as much of an IPA to me, let alone a "triple" IPA. I don't care how many hops actually went into the brew kettle - when a beer contains this much malt sweetness coming through in the final flavor profile, you are out of IPA territory. In my opinion, just a "meh" beer on almost every front - nothing exciting happening here, especially not for IPA lovers.

tectactoe, May 06, 2013
3.18/5  rDev -19.3%

Pours a dark caramel with a thin white head.

Dense hops on the nose. I think it might be too intense to process.

Extremely hoppy. Some boozy flavors, but the hop oils takeover. Its hard to appreciate much of the complexity. Pine cones, tons of pine cones. Very astringent on the finish.

Sticky, oily, full body.

I thought Mean Manalishi was too much of a good thing and this has 50% more hops than that. Overboard.

BradLikesBrew, Jun 21, 2011
3.18/5  rDev -19.3%

picked up this kermit brew in a recent Ohio trip. Was excited to try it.

A - Poured into a pint glass (the first pour) was a nice dark orange almost amber color with a 1/2" white froth. The last pour brought out sediment that hung around the liquid like strawberry seeds in a smoothie.

S - Nice fresh pine hop smell with some malts in there too. not much fruit in there at all.

T - Slightly bitter pine with a dry flat aftertaste. Was a bit unimpressed here. At first the pine hops hit pretty good but the finish was just...lacking.

M - Bitter, mildly carbonated and slightly flat.

O - Not one for me.

brstls4drmrs, Dec 09, 2011
3.23/5  rDev -18%

750ml bottle thanks to G311.

Pours cloudy amber in color with a small off-white head that fades.

Aroma is sweet and malty with iced tea and citrusy, herbal, and resinous hops.

The flavor is a like a hard iced tea mixed with an imperial IPA. Sweet caramel malt with loads of grapefruit, resin, and herbal hop notes.

Full-bodied and syrupy with fairly low carbonation.

A little disappointing overall. I wouldn't say it's below average for the style, but I wouldn't say it's much above average either. Not so easy to drink.

nickd717, Aug 18, 2010