Hop Dam Triple IPA - Hoppin' Frog Brewery

Hop Dam Triple IPAHop Dam Triple IPA

Hoppin' Frog Brewery visit their website
Ohio, United States

(Beer added by: imaguitargod on 02-14-2010)

4.75/5  rDev +20.6%

3.63/5  rDev -7.9%

A: This poured a cloudy gold with a little white head and some sediment.
S: It smelled like bitter grapefruit and citrus zest, with some pine and copper hops and a little bready malt.
T: It tasted like oranges and copper and grapefruit, with some sugary sweet candied apricot and bready malt. It had a somewhat clean, lasting aftertaste with cloying sweetness and bitter resin, and some alcohol warming.
M: It was fairly thick with moderate carbonation. Decent body.
D: This was a decent brew, but not top tier. The scent was a bit subdued, the taste was not delicious, and the body wasn't great. The alcohol was noticeable too, and the finish was pretty rough, so it must be sipped. More like an American barleywine than an IPA. I think I drank this when it was a few months old, and apparently this beer really fades quickly. What a shame. Really not a bad brew, but not near as good as I hoped.

3.53/5  rDev -10.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

I was excited to try this out as IPAs and double IPAs are dominating my beer purchases over the past few years. Never having tried a triple IPA I wasn't quite sure what to expect. I also enjoy the pumpkin ale from this brewer. The appearance of this beer is very intriguing with a murky dark orange appearance, with a healthy contingent of particulate matter and with exceptional sticky lace of an off white color. The aroma is less Pliny like and more Wonder bread than I would have expected. The taste is notable for alcohol, the aforementioned bread, pepper, and some hop bitterness coming through. The mouthfeel is resiny as you might have expected with triple hopping. This ain't bud light. Overall I enjoyed this beer and I would love to try this on draft sometime.

4.75/5  rDev +20.6%

3.1/5  rDev -21.3%

Thanks to Ataraxia for this extra. Hop Dam pours a completely opaque color that lies somewhere between light-copper and swampy-brown. Murky to the core and obviously unfiltered, the off-white cap retains well for a brew with higher alcohol content and leaves an extremely generous amount of fat and sticky lacing along the sides of the glass. Even once the beer is gone, some white lace remains near the top.

I stick my face into the glass and my nose is hit immediately with a bunch of sweet malts. I find this problem (although I don't know if it should be considered a "problem" per se) often with "Triple" IPAs or IPAs that are "over the edge"... the malt bill must be large enough to stand up to the crazy overload of hops, and in turn, the beer becomes more of a sweet malty concoction rather than a hop-heavy bitter bruiser. The initial whiff of Hop Dam seems to be leading me down this road.

There are definitely some sticky citrus aromas, along with a light pungency of pine and floral hops, but there's no mistaking the huge malt backbone in this one. Lots of caramel, toffee, and butterscotch aromas that actually outplay the hops by quite a bit. Very sweet and almost candy-like to the nostrils. It doesn't smell bad, but I don't know if I wan't my IPAs to smell like this exactly.

As expected, the first sip induces a great amount of bread, toasted caramel, and super huge toffee flavors into my palate. The beer is quite heavy; sticky and thick and borderline chewy, which plays even more into the hands of the heavy malt bill. Hops are sadly secondary, but they do eventually surface once the initial malt-shock mellows out and subsides. They have a lightly citric, but mostly earthy character.

The bitterness provided by the hops barely puts a dent in the sweetness from the malt. I wouldn't go so far as to call Hop Dam "cloying", but I certainly don't want my IPA to be this sweet. Once the taste of the earthy, dirty, mildly-citric hops fades, the aftertaste is left with the leftover malt flavors. The palate finishes with big-time caramel and toffee that coats your taste buds to the (not-so-bitter) end. A little more lively carbonation would have help the thick, sticky mouth feel on this one.

It's not like this beer was offensive or tough to put down, but it doesn't really qualify as much of an IPA to me, let alone a "triple" IPA. I don't care how many hops actually went into the brew kettle - when a beer contains this much malt sweetness coming through in the final flavor profile, you are out of IPA territory. In my opinion, just a "meh" beer on almost every front - nothing exciting happening here, especially not for IPA lovers.

Hop Dam Triple IPA from Hoppin' Frog Brewery