D.O.R.I.S. The Destroyer Double Imperial Stout - Hoppin' Frog Brewery

D.O.R.I.S. The Destroyer Double Imperial StoutD.O.R.I.S. The Destroyer Double Imperial Stout

Hoppin' Frog Brewery visit their website
Ohio, United States

Russian Imperial Stout |  10.50% ABV

Beer added by: MbpBugeye on 03-26-2010

Reviews by JosephLondon:
3.35/5  rDev -20.6%

I would like to start this review off noting last night I had The Abyss (a far superior beer). Further, I had the 2009 release that many are griping about. Beyond that, I would like to mention that this beer is above average. I think I am drinking it too early. There is some heat that I would like to mellow. I think with some age this beer will climb the ranks and will become very impressive. I would like to get anothe D.O.R.I.S. to age, but I really didn't expect the one I got.

I am happy. Today has been a great day and I wanted to finish the day with a great night cap. My score may reflect my overall disappointment, but I don't believe I was too harsh.

The appearance took me the most. When I first popped the cap, before the pour, I smelled the beer from the bottle. I didn't enjoy what I smelt. With optimism, I poured the beer and was awed. As the bubbles ascended to form a chocolate mousse crown mold, I was taken by the beauty this beer radiated while transforming to its climax. Then, as the crown receded, there was some lace left and dissipated to nothing but the thin, black oil in which it originated from.

The smell seems to be very one-sided. The smell is very strong, and I like that. However, there is not too much going on. Predominant in the nose is alcohol. After searching past the alcohol (and you have to search) there is coffee-burt coffee. After searching past the burt coffee, I detect maple syrup. Again, the syrup smells burnt. I can not dig another thing out of this beer except the breath of a coffee drinking drunk's breath after dining at the local waffle joint.

The taste is average, at best. I imagine frying a pancake in Godiva liqueur, burning it, pouring some molasses on top mixed with 151 and you have an edible D.O.R.I.S. I don't want to slam this beer-i am just being honest.

The mouthfeel has some carbonation and is smooth on the palate, at first. Right after the pleasure part of swallowing this beer, I am left with nothing but a thin coat to reminisce on what this beer could, and should have been.

The drink is decent considering the alcohol content. But it is the alcohol that destroys this beer, it is too strong to drink this soon. I wish I had held on to this beer and let it reach maturity. Right now it is a defiant toddler/preteen lost in its rebellion.

4.03/5  rDev -4.5%

22oz bottle at fridge temp poured into a snifter.

pours out an extremely dark black, burnt up motor oil. about one fingers worth of some super dark brown head, creamy, good retention, and leaves some nice lace. this is a seriously dark looking stout.

super roasted, burnt charred malts are what i pick up most in the aroma. a bit of booze and dark fruits as well. dark dark cocoa.

again, big roasted, burnt malts, as well as some toasted/ roasted grain flavor. burnt char flavors are all over this. some dark dark chocolate plays off all the roasted malt with hints at times of dark fruits. finishes with a bitter cocoa roast flavor and a spicey, booze finish.

creamy, silky smooth. big body, carbonation is right where you would want it for a beer like this.

a solid imperial stout. i enjoyed this more than boris for sure. if this seen extended time in a bourbon barrel i think it could really be magical.

4.5/5  rDev +6.6%

Pours ink black with a much deeper than mocha colored head,brown sugar and char with a but load of earthy hops with become resiny in the "burps".Well crafted and the alcohol is big but doesn't punch you in the face.

4.75/5  rDev +12.6%

4.15/5  rDev -1.7%

22oz bottle. Pours an opaque black with a medium creamy dark brown head that retains well and laces the glass.

The aroma is sweet lactic chocolate malts, roast, grains, black licorice and a little charred leather.

The flavor is sweet chocolate with a lot of roast, black licorice, and a big charred bitterness in the finish. The mouthfeel is pretty full and creamy.

Overall, a nice imperial stout. It's big, but not over the top. It's a little too much charry bitterness and black licorice for me. I think I liked the regular BORIS a bit better (both are better than the barrel aged IMO), but it would be fun to do a side by side.

4.53/5  rDev +7.3%

Nothing like another huge stout from the folks at Hoppin' Frog. Doris pours dark as night, like years old motor oil and just as viscous. Garnet hues on the fringes. No real head but a lasting collar and some spots of lace on the goblet.

Aroma features ripe red plums, chocolate covered cherries, pine hops, oatmeal, and a vinous note underneath.

Full body has a silky oatmeal creaminess and a subdued carbonation.

Taste is decadent. Creamy oatmeal, citrusy and earthy hops, cherries, red plums, figs, bittersweet chocolate, and just a hint of roasted coffee. Slight alcohol warmth. Finishes with a bitter roastiness.

The frog brewers know how to put together a big stout. Excellent production!

4.28/5  rDev +1.4%

Thanks to someone for sharing this at the May Freetail bottle release.

The beer pours a thick, motor oil looking black color with a small tan head. The aroma is full of roasted malt and chocolate, with a little bit of oats and alcohol mixed in. A very inviting aroma.

The flavor is similar. I get a lot of bitter roasted malt, as well as some bitter chocolate. There is also some intense coffee in the flavor which goes well with the other things that are going on. There is a creamy, oat quality to the flavor and mouthfeel that I also like.

Thick mouthfeel and low carbonation. A very nice beer.

4.25/5  rDev +0.7%

Thank you to misterhops for this.
Pours black as night. Small brown head. Nose is amazing. I can smell it from a couple feet away from the glass. Loads of chocolate and malt. Smells huge. Taste is very dark chocolate forward, followed by malts, nothing very extraordinary here, but very nicely flavored. Mouthfeel, believe it or not, I feel is too light. I thought this would be heavier, and thicker. It is easy to drink, and creamy. I wonder what it would be if Ohio didn't have that stupid ABV law. Not a trace of alcohol in this at all until I stand up. Overall, this is very very good. The flavor lingers in my mouth for a long long time. My tongue feels coated with the beer. I've wanted a bottle of this for a long time, and it did not disappoint.

4.58/5  rDev +8.5%

22oz bomber poured into a Duvel tulip.

Pours a very dark oily hick black with a really nce dark brown fluffy head. Nose is pretty boozy but also malty and rich with some light hops.

Taste is rich and sweet, sharp and sweet with some very light hoppiness. Mouthfeel is really rich and full very creamy and tasty. Boozier than Boris but still tasty.

4.35/5  rDev +3.1%

Bottle (2012)

Acquired via trade
Thanks, match1112!

Black throughout with a very small dark brown head; thick and substantial, but not quite menacing. This leaves small dots of stick down the glass.

Full, complete aroma of roasted malt, cocoa powder, and ground coffee beans. Nice.

The flavor shines, with rich roast, bitter chocolate, and espresso combining incredibly well. There's perhaps just the hint of a dark fruit character, and personally, I'm happy I don't detect any licorice/anise character. Rich, bold flavors; the lingering cocoa powder/bitter chocolate finish is very much appreciated.

Near full in body with low-moderate carbonation. No trace of alcohol. I wish it was a bit creamier, but I'm only nitpicking.

A delicious, complete, flavorful imperial stout.

4.21/5  rDev -0.2%