Hello, is it beer you're looking for?

D.O.R.I.S. The Destroyer Double Imperial Stout - Hoppin' Frog Brewery

D.O.R.I.S. The Destroyer Double Imperial StoutD.O.R.I.S. The Destroyer Double Imperial Stout

Hoppin' Frog Brewery visit their website
Ohio, United States

Russian Imperial Stout |  10.50% ABV

Beer added by: MbpBugeye on 03-26-2010

Reviews: 417 | Hads: 1,206

Poured bomber into 34oz mug. Darkest pour I have ever seen, jet black with a thick, dense dark brown head that doesn't go anywhere, leaving lots of lacing. Smells of chocolate, bourbon, sweet malt and coffee. Taste is bitter baking chocolate, some bourbon sweetness in the middle, and ending with a coffee bitter aftertaste that swing in way late, rounding out nicely. Insanely delicious, with one of the fullest mouthfeels I've had. This is definitely a "double oatmeal RIS". This is now one of my favorite stouts. Incredibly well-done!

Pours like oil into my pint glass. Has a nearly one finger head that is darker than any I've ever seen, including the Abyss, Darklord, and the other heavyweights.

Smells like dark chocolate and coffee. Maybe a little molassas and licorice too, but the chocolate smell is really sticking out to me right now.

This beer tastes extrodinary. Tastes more like coffee than chocolate, but it's there. Also, a little vanilla. Alcohol is present, but pleasant.

The mouthfeel is exactly what it should be for a double stout. Some carbonation, but very creamy and thick.

This beer is great! I'd put it up against Abyss, Darklord, Speedway, Expedition or Breakfast stouts any day. It may be named DORIS, but it's a stud. Put this beer in a bourbon barrel for a year and it might be the greatest stout ever!

I must say this is probably the coolest beer label Hoppin' Frog has. It just screams, big, evil beer. This poured to a 1 finger head in my nonic glass. I gave it a little rough pour because I knew the carbonation was a little low on this beer. The color of the head was a deep brown color and it lasted for a bit before dissipating to a ring around my glass.

This beer tastes AMAZING. Dark, roasted malt sweetness right up front with a hint of chocolate. The oats are there and there are hints of B.O.R.I.S. giving the illusion that this really is his evil sister. Aggressive, but so tasty. One hell of a good beer and I can't find a single thing I would want to change about it.

~Jonathan Passow

Appearance - a very thick motor oil pour. Glug, glug, glug. A creamy mocha head like melted ice cream slowly takes shape, with more bubbles making their slow journey up the glass. Some craggy lacing at the high water mark and some stray thin legs as well.

Aroma - heavily malted for sure. Big boozy grains, very roasty, alcohol esters, and a resiny pine interwoven through it all. Sets up with a fantastic roasty, boozy, nutty sniff.

Taste - of course, the flavors here are huge. Sweet, chewy malts, roasty and nutty. A touch of char but balanced so that the swallow doesn't go ashy or burnt. A steady alcohol warmth accompanies the delicious grain and bittersweet chocolate flavors on the swallow. The aftertaste and finish are tasty and last well. Top shelf.

Mouthfeel - thick, viscous, and oily smooth. Bespeaks the nature of the style.

Drinkability - it's been a while since I had a glass of heaven; tonight's bomber allowed for two. ;-)

A: Thick. Oil black. 4 finger thick milk chocolate brown head. No light showing through this bad boy.

S:Dankness and coffee. Some booze. Cocoa.

T:Dank, Pine and Chocolate. Coffee is present in the middle. This is the dankest stout I have ever had, it has hop notes similar to Pliny (of course mellower than an IPA) which kind of blows my mind. I am going to call this my Mary Jane stout thats how dank this tastes. Flavors are blended really well.

M: Thick, this is almost like an imperial milkshake. Sticky and smooth. Another characteristic of this beer that stands out against others.

O:Awesome, buy one (or 5) of these if they are availible in your area.

Poured into a 20 oz Duvel giant tulip, very aggressively. Pours a amazing black, no light penetration at all, with a 4 inch sticky dark mocha head, that settles into a film of bubbles, with some lacing. Smell dark chocolate and roasted strong coffee, wow! Taste just about blows you away with what your nose hinted too, you realize that this is a special stout. Mouthfeel is truly exceptional. Large, but not over the top. Great life for it's abv and not overly dry. Easy drinking, but you wonder if it is higher in abv even if alcohol taste isn't present. This is one of the best beers that has touched my lips, truly a gem.

4.93/5  rDev +17.7%

22 oz bottle poured into imperial pint

A: dark you are not getting light through this hardly any any head but it was chocolate colored so you knew this beer is going to be amazing

S: dark roasted smells chocolate a little oak lots of chocolate

T: it's deep roast, nice coffee tones, chocolate, beautiful just charred malts

M: it's so viscous and thick you have to chew this beer and it just crushes your mouth and coats everything

O: Beautiful from stem to stern the taste and smell are amazing the mouth is luscious Hoppin frog does one thing superbly and almost no one can touch it's a stout. you may cringe at the price but your mouth will thank you.

4.88/5  rDev +16.5%

Aroma is strong and smoky with tones of unsweet chocolate and quality coffee, along with more than a hint of anchovies. It pours - woo-wee, utterly black with a thick, dark tan, fine-bubbled head that hangs around - there's no way they could improve on that, Dixie Darlin'! Flavor is WOW! Semi-sweet chocolate, quality roast coffee, hints of molasses and miso, even a touch of hops and a smidgen of anchovies. Hey, I like anchovies. Texture is fizzy, oily and thick, leaving a nice heavy mocha finish. This one is just a shade or two off perfection - at least in my book. OK, I'm prejudiced in favor of stouts and porters, but that's just the way I iz.

4.85/5  rDev +15.8%

Pours a deep, dark, motor oil black with a medium head that fades slowly. The head is dark mocha colored and very creamy. Leaves huge walls of thick lacing.

The aroma is complex with dominant espresso, mellow woody notes, pipe tobacco smoke, hints of vanilla and cinnamon, leather, and dark chocolate. Earthy elements and dark fruit with a nice finish of licorice.

The complexity follows the nose in the taste arena. Roasted malts, full, rich dark chocolate, creamy robust mocha, leather, oak, vanilla, plums and raisins. Licorice througout with hazelnut, and woody notes. Complex and multi-layered.

Super rich, creamy, thick and chewy.

Awesome, rich sipper.

4.85/5  rDev +15.8%

After recently having had both B.O.R.I.S. and barrel-aged B.O.R.I.S., I was eager to try this one. Three great RIS in one week from Hoppin' Frog! Yeah!

This beer was incredibly dark brown, nearly opaque. I could see clarity when I poured, so I must not have stirred up the yeast sediment. It produced a one-finger head in my pint glass, medium brown in color and made of fine foam. After it subsided, a ring remained that left lacing in my glass.

Aroma was of full rich dark malts, chocolate, and dark fruits. Some hops came through in the middle, and the roasted notes drifted in at the very end.

Taste was in-freaking-CREDIBLE! Initially very hoppy and bitter, which surprised the hell out of me. How did they hop it so much it could overcome the darkness? Then came in the dark earthy malts and roasted barley flavors, and hints of milk chocolate. Aftertaste was of roasted malt overlaid with hops. Wow. This is like they tried to blend the characteristics of an IPA with a RIS, and the balance they achieved was perfect.

Mouthfeel was full, rich, chewy, and silky smooth. Somewhat oily after the swallow, it left a presence in my mouth that carried the flavor on and on.

Drinkability is EXCELLENT. This is going down well, and it is improving as it warms. It will not be difficult finishing this bottle, and I know that I am going to see if there is any left at Julio's. I want another in my cellarso I can see what happens in a year or two.

4.85/5  rDev +15.8%

Poured a super-thick, oily balck color with very minimal dark tan head. A pretty mild aroma, but it's full of burnt/dark sugars that give you the hint of richness. Absolutely smooth and delightful in taste. Hints of coffee/chocolate, but mostly heavy/dark sugars take over. Amazingly, the ABV is well hidden within the beer. The thick nature of the brew keeps on the tongue for a while. Excellent drink .

4.84/5  rDev +15.5%

Pours pitch black with a tiny dark brown head that almost instantly vanishes. No lacing.

Rich sweet coffee, chocolate, leathery, bit of dark fruit. Very sweet and smells so amazing.

MMM. Taste follows smell. Chocolatey coffeelike sweetness. So amazing.

Thick, slick, and full. Warming alcohol aftertaste. Almost no carbonation.

This is one of my favorite stouts ever. Possibly the best stout out there. At least as far as what's available to me. Simply amazing. Near perfect stout.

4.84/5  rDev +15.5%

Pours almost black in color with nearly a finger of coffee color head that doesn't last long, also a little oily on the glass.

The scent is very rich of flavor, chocolate is prominant along with roasted caramel malt, brown sugar is also present, along with a very boozy aroma.

The taste is again of chocolate and roasted malt, there is a strong alcohol presence, some dark sweet fruit, notes of earthy hops and some peppery spice.

Full bodied, thick, creamy and smooth, low carbonation.

This was an excellent RIS so much flavor and well balanced. I would definitely look for this again.

4.83/5  rDev +15.3%

Poured into a tulip glass from a 22oz bomber.

Pours a gorgeous oily black color with a dark tan mocha colored head that is chocolatey looking and dense. It rises up to about half and inch. Slightly oily pour. Very nice looking brew.

Starts off with tons of delicious chocolaty goodness. Yummy oat grain notes with some tasty and roasty bread notes. Nice dark chocolate notes with some good milk chocolate sweetness. Mild caramel and molasses sweetness is present as well. There is some nice coffee notes with slight licorice and vanilla notes in the nose as well. Very delicious notes.

Wow. Taste wise this beer is amazing. Great balance of coffee roast notes with some nice chocolate and coca powder notes. Very delicious brew. Roasty, rich and full bodied. Delicious balance of toasty grain, roasted coffee, sweet coca and some nice dark coca bitterness. Amazing brew in my book. The mouthfeel is prefect. Creamy and silky with some nice micro bubbles that massage the tongue as the flavors coat the tongue with awesomeness. As the brew warms there are some nice vanilla spice notes and licorice that show up beneath the roasty notes. Awesome brew.

Very amazing brew! Im sad I haven't tried it sooner. Amazing roasted grain notes. Nice coffee that envelopes the whole experience. Nice cocoa sweetness with some slight dark cocoa bitterness. Overall. Extremely delicious and well balanced RIS.

4.82/5  rDev +15%

I drank this from a bomber bottle poured into my trusty chalice glass.

A- Jet black color, with a half finger cream colored head that quickly dissipated

A- Wonderful aroma of bittersweet chocolate, roasted malts, coffee, dark fruits and molasses

T- Follows the nose pretty closely, with chocolate and cocoa up front, some coffee, some dark fruits like plums, sweet molasses. I get just a slight bitterness on the back end

M- Deliciously creamy, full bodied mouthfeel with little to no carbonation. Beautifully balanced beer. No alcohol burn detected.

O- I highly recommend this beer. Wonderful from start to finish, truly enjoyable experience. Another great beer from Hoppin Frog

4.8/5  rDev +14.6%

Wow... For as BIG of a beer as this, this goes down surprisingly well with little to no sting from the alcohol.

I shared this with a non-BA friend as he was kind enough to go out of his way to get it for me from a local store, and he said he couldnt imagine spending $12 on a bottle of beer (ha) but when he tried it he said it was worth every penny and compared it to a wine that should be sipped and enjoyed rather than drank like most beers.

It pours almost like hot motor oil that has been ran for 5,000 miles. Pitch black with a dark carmel layer of head. We drank this out of small rocks glasses so not much for a head to form.

The smell just hit me as roasted malts and dark chocolate.

As it warmed, it just got better and better. Coffee, dark chocolate, heavily roasted malt, and a hint of anise in the taste. Absolutely nothing about the taste of this beer held me back. Only the sheer quality and fact that I didnt want a buzz, held me back from drinking this faster.

I have a few bottles to keep on hand but I sure wish this was easier to get than it is. WOW!

4.78/5  rDev +14.1%

poured from bomber into pint glass
A - jet black with really dark mocha coloured head, impossible to see through
S - dark chocolate roasted malts, dark fruits, and bananas
T - delicious smoooth chocolatey, also tastes of bananas, a little fruityness, very chocolatey finish,
M - very smooth and easy to drink
O - very delicious veyr smooth, very filling beer, one of my new favourite stouts

4.78/5  rDev +14.1%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.75

I've been passing up the Hoppin' Frog Stouts for the better part of 2 years and now I decided to take a swing at one.

A - Intense black color with a ton of viscosity that almost doesn't want to pour out of the bottle at 50 degrees. The thick fluid yields a perfect .25" fine, dark brown head. Really a serious looking beer.

S - Initially the big, bitter roasted character sits high. Under that there is the malt, caramel, raisin, and chocolate that you would expect. More of a robust character but complex.

T - The taste is full with the sweet malt hitting the tongue first and followed by caramel, coffee, dark chocolate, and moving toward raisin. You can tell that there are oats with that signature "oatmeal stout" flavor in the middle also. The back half of the taste is strong and bitter from both the hops and the dark roasted malt. Some alcohol on the finish going with the bitter roast. The finish is thick but since the sweetness of the RIS is balanced by the roast it is pleasant.

M - High mouth-feel with lower carbonation. Thick beer but does have enough CO2 and is mostly balanced with the front being sweet and the back being bitter. If you like a more balanced approach to the typically sweet RIS this is going to be a big hit for you.

Overall, this is a very delicious beer. Great flavor that as I said is balance well. It isn't the most flavor, most complex, or best hitting beer but it does everything well and it really shows. I really enjoyed this thick and balanced beer but it probably won't be my go-to since I do prefer the sweeter imperial stouts.

Glass- 20oz craft beer glass

4.76/5  rDev +13.6%

I am reviewing this as I am drinking it for fear that I am going to have this 22oz bomber down in the next ten minutes. This beer is simply beautiful. It is nearly pitchblack with a cocoa head. It tastes like dark chocolate with a hint of coffee with a creamy aftertaste. I love imperial stouts and had no idea what to expect from a Double Oatmeal Russian Imperial Stout but needless to say this is excellent. Its sad that I have never tried anything from this brewery before yet they are only a couple hours away from me. That frog just had me doubting them. I have always heard good things about Boris but never got around to paying ten dollars for a bottle from a brewery I had never heard of but this is beauty at its finest.

4.75/5  rDev +13.4%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

I am drinkling a 2012 vintage in January 2015. Very fruity and pruney nose, pitch black with a dark tan head, very rich, pruney, sherry, port, roast over a biscuit flavor that really works here. There are wet papery cardboard flavors there but the rich dark malt flavors, the fruit, the dried fruit and prune balance this oxidized flavor out and it all works. This is very rich, very creamy, slightly below average carbonation, some chocolate and coffee especially in the after tastes. Big and bold.

4.75/5  rDev +13.4%

Tastes sweet, great beer to start your day or evening with!!

A - Completely black pour, nice dark head that coats the glass and seems to last forever.

S - Roasted malts, chocolate malts, you can really taste the coffee, a hint of burnt wood & smoke, more hops than most stouts, very earthy.

T - Very complex, hints of chocolate, roasted malts. Almost to the point of chewy, probably the oats here. Nice little hints of hops. Great Taste

M - Very rich & creamy mouth feel. Oats add a chewy feel, and the finish is long and sticky.

D - Extremely drinkable, with 10.5%.

Poured into a snifter on 5/18/10

Man, this is one dark beer. Even on the pour DORIS is one of the darkest, most dense browns I've seen in a beer; very close to black. Once in the glass I held it to the light; the result was similar to an eclipse. A very slow & determined pour managed to raise one finger of darker-hued milk chocolate foam. Interestingly enough, the foam takes its time receding to a thin skim & some bubbles. Spiderweb-like lacing so far. Decent retention considering. Lacing is almost nil in the long run; just up & vanishes. However, a good bit of lace holds on from the second pour.

Steeped in roasted malts & oatmeal, the nose is quite intense & impressive. Said oatmeal quickly imparts an air of gentility to an otherwise assertive malt bill. Notes of freshly ground coffee beans, espresso & high-cocoa-percentage dark chocolate. On the whole it smells dry & roasted; there doesn't seem to be a ton of sugars. Some alcohol is detectable in the nose.

The taste is all the more impressive. Bittersweet dark chocolate rushes in immediately & is of great dominance throughout. Dry, roasted coffee blends in at a seemingly perfect ratio, becoming most notable toward the finish. Plenty of oats offer something of a refined counterpoint to the roasted malt madness, though the oats are less pronounced than in the aroma. Hints of molasses emerge toward the mid-section. Thankfully this beer stops short of being overly sweet. Though not nearly the hoppiest of Russian Imperial Stouts, a bit of hop kick is had toward the finish - seems to be of the citric variety, though it's too integrated to be sure. Moderate burnt undertones also are manifest on the finish.

Very dense & viscous, DORIS is a formidable opponent. No doubt this is a weighty beer; so sticky & chewy. Carbonation is low & creamy with a full willingness to allow the flavor profile to be its most expressive. Roasted residuals of the above malty goodness linger on the finish, as does the aforementioned hop bitterness. Alcohol heat is appreciable, though it isn't too harsh.

Taking into account the magnitude of this beer, drinkability is awesome. It's a sipper for sure, but dang if it isn't worth every minute. My only critique, albeit a minor one, would be a tad more burnt flavors. That would be nit-picking, though. This beer lost no luster as I drank it; I actually found myself more intrigued by it with each passing sip. For me, this is in the top-tier of the style. If you see it, don't hesitate.

4.75/5  rDev +13.4%

A: Pours pitch black with a sticky, tan head.

S: Malty with aromas of molasses and mocha with a nutty character.

T: Huge flavor. Charred oak, anise, burnt chocolate. Well-balanced with some hops up front and a slight residual sweetness in the back. A very mild alcohol presence.

M: Thick, chewy, and sticky with light carbonation. One of the biggest feeling beers that I've had.

D: As advertised, this drinks like an amped up BORIS. Awesome.

4.74/5  rDev +13.1%
look: 4.75 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.75

Look: Jet black. Pours with a 1 finger head, dark caramel/reddish in color. The head fades quickly, leaving a foaming ring around the edge.

Smell: Chocolates, cherry, dessert. Just very sweet. Hints of brown sugar.

Taste: Much inline with the smell. It has a very wooden finish, as if it was oak aged. Maybe a bit hoppy as well, which I wasn't expecting.

Feel: This is absolutely amazing. Very full bodied. Very creamy and thick.

Overall: This is a great brew, however, I will say, I prefer Boris over Doris. I had Boris first and wanted to give Doris a try. While it's good, I feel as if they tried to make it better than Boris, and in my opinion, wasn't successful. Still a great beer.

4.73/5  rDev +12.9%

A: Viscose crude oil pour exit from the bottle settles with a two finger marshmellow mild chocolate colored head that was fairly steady and long on the hold. The lacing sticks around with a thin film, full coating on the vessel. Hardly gets better then this visually overall and per style.

S: Oatmeal is distinct, a rich chocolate roast, freshly ground dark espressro beans lie underneath providing a good level of aromatic activity. A touch of burnt caramel, burnt marshmellow with some burnt wildflower hopping. Toasted burnt woodiness, nice gentle lingering aroma. Rich and smooth.

T: Flavor was rich with a sweetly dark burnt presence of chocolate roast, oats, and burnt marshmellow. Some creamer, roasted barley and alcohol hints. Smooth roasted bitterness is silky on the take. A touch of smoked burnt woodiness, smoldering campfire silty minerality, nutmeg alcohol, burnt wildflowers leaves with a very refined lingering smooth silty bitterness.

M: Medium body, softly carbonated, very smooth and silky texture on the tongue. No alcohol detection.

O: Overall a very smooth and silky dark roasted treat with a well concealed abv%. Very nice and easy drinkability, great complexity, transition of flavor from start to finish and a silty smooth bitterness. Keeps getting better and better to the bitter end.

D.O.R.I.S. The Destroyer Double Imperial Stout from Hoppin' Frog Brewery