1. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

D.O.R.I.S. The Destroyer Double Imperial Stout - Hoppin' Frog Brewery

D.O.R.I.S. The Destroyer Double Imperial StoutD.O.R.I.S. The Destroyer Double Imperial Stout

Hoppin' Frog Brewery visit their website
Ohio, United States

Russian Imperial Stout |  10.50% ABV

(Beer added by: MbpBugeye on 03-26-2010)
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Reviewers
Ratings: 892 | Reviews: 382 | Show All Ratings:
imaguitargod

I must say this is probably the coolest beer label Hoppin' Frog has. It just screams, big, evil beer. This poured to a 1 finger head in my nonic glass. I gave it a little rough pour because I knew the carbonation was a little low on this beer. The color of the head was a deep brown color and it lasted for a bit before dissipating to a ring around my glass.

This beer tastes AMAZING. Dark, roasted malt sweetness right up front with a hint of chocolate. The oats are there and there are hints of B.O.R.I.S. giving the illusion that this really is his evil sister. Aggressive, but so tasty. One hell of a good beer and I can't find a single thing I would want to change about it.

~Jonathan Passow

03-27-2010 00:49:59 | More by imaguitargod
brewdlyhooked13

Appearance - a very thick motor oil pour. Glug, glug, glug. A creamy mocha head like melted ice cream slowly takes shape, with more bubbles making their slow journey up the glass. Some craggy lacing at the high water mark and some stray thin legs as well.

Aroma - heavily malted for sure. Big boozy grains, very roasty, alcohol esters, and a resiny pine interwoven through it all. Sets up with a fantastic roasty, boozy, nutty sniff.

Taste - of course, the flavors here are huge. Sweet, chewy malts, roasty and nutty. A touch of char but balanced so that the swallow doesn't go ashy or burnt. A steady alcohol warmth accompanies the delicious grain and bittersweet chocolate flavors on the swallow. The aftertaste and finish are tasty and last well. Top shelf.

Mouthfeel - thick, viscous, and oily smooth. Bespeaks the nature of the style.

Drinkability - it's been a while since I had a glass of heaven; tonight's bomber allowed for two. ;-)

04-26-2010 05:26:03 | More by brewdlyhooked13
DangerDawg

Pours like oil into my pint glass. Has a nearly one finger head that is darker than any I've ever seen, including the Abyss, Darklord, and the other heavyweights.

Smells like dark chocolate and coffee. Maybe a little molassas and licorice too, but the chocolate smell is really sticking out to me right now.

This beer tastes extrodinary. Tastes more like coffee than chocolate, but it's there. Also, a little vanilla. Alcohol is present, but pleasant.

The mouthfeel is exactly what it should be for a double stout. Some carbonation, but very creamy and thick.

This beer is great! I'd put it up against Abyss, Darklord, Speedway, Expedition or Breakfast stouts any day. It may be named DORIS, but it's a stud. Put this beer in a bourbon barrel for a year and it might be the greatest stout ever!

06-04-2011 01:01:57 | More by DangerDawg
SawDog505

New Hampshire

Poured into a 20 oz Duvel giant tulip, very aggressively. Pours a amazing black, no light penetration at all, with a 4 inch sticky dark mocha head, that settles into a film of bubbles, with some lacing. Smell dark chocolate and roasted strong coffee, wow! Taste just about blows you away with what your nose hinted too, you realize that this is a special stout. Mouthfeel is truly exceptional. Large, but not over the top. Great life for it's abv and not overly dry. Easy drinking, but you wonder if it is higher in abv even if alcohol taste isn't present. This is one of the best beers that has touched my lips, truly a gem.

12-01-2011 00:40:14 | More by SawDog505
scottyg354

A: Thick. Oil black. 4 finger thick milk chocolate brown head. No light showing through this bad boy.

S:Dankness and coffee. Some booze. Cocoa.

T:Dank, Pine and Chocolate. Coffee is present in the middle. This is the dankest stout I have ever had, it has hop notes similar to Pliny (of course mellower than an IPA) which kind of blows my mind. I am going to call this my Mary Jane stout thats how dank this tastes. Flavors are blended really well.

M: Thick, this is almost like an imperial milkshake. Sticky and smooth. Another characteristic of this beer that stands out against others.

O:Awesome, buy one (or 5) of these if they are availible in your area.

12-19-2011 03:25:05 | More by scottyg354
BurgeoningBrewhead

Poured bomber into 34oz mug. Darkest pour I have ever seen, jet black with a thick, dense dark brown head that doesn't go anywhere, leaving lots of lacing. Smells of chocolate, bourbon, sweet malt and coffee. Taste is bitter baking chocolate, some bourbon sweetness in the middle, and ending with a coffee bitter aftertaste that swing in way late, rounding out nicely. Insanely delicious, with one of the fullest mouthfeels I've had. This is definitely a "double oatmeal RIS". This is now one of my favorite stouts. Incredibly well-done!

05-01-2013 00:06:25 | More by BurgeoningBrewhead
Cyberkedi

Georgia

4.9/5  rDev +16.4%

Aroma is strong and smoky with tones of unsweet chocolate and quality coffee, along with more than a hint of anchovies. It pours - woo-wee, utterly black with a thick, dark tan, fine-bubbled head that hangs around - there's no way they could improve on that, Dixie Darlin'! Flavor is WOW! Semi-sweet chocolate, quality roast coffee, hints of molasses and miso, even a touch of hops and a smidgen of anchovies. Hey, I like anchovies. Texture is fizzy, oily and thick, leaving a nice heavy mocha finish. This one is just a shade or two off perfection - at least in my book. OK, I'm prejudiced in favor of stouts and porters, but that's just the way I iz.

03-20-2011 03:52:31 | More by Cyberkedi
connecticutpoet

Connecticut

4.88/5  rDev +15.9%

After recently having had both B.O.R.I.S. and barrel-aged B.O.R.I.S., I was eager to try this one. Three great RIS in one week from Hoppin' Frog! Yeah!

This beer was incredibly dark brown, nearly opaque. I could see clarity when I poured, so I must not have stirred up the yeast sediment. It produced a one-finger head in my pint glass, medium brown in color and made of fine foam. After it subsided, a ring remained that left lacing in my glass.

Aroma was of full rich dark malts, chocolate, and dark fruits. Some hops came through in the middle, and the roasted notes drifted in at the very end.

Taste was in-freaking-CREDIBLE! Initially very hoppy and bitter, which surprised the hell out of me. How did they hop it so much it could overcome the darkness? Then came in the dark earthy malts and roasted barley flavors, and hints of milk chocolate. Aftertaste was of roasted malt overlaid with hops. Wow. This is like they tried to blend the characteristics of an IPA with a RIS, and the balance they achieved was perfect.

Mouthfeel was full, rich, chewy, and silky smooth. Somewhat oily after the swallow, it left a presence in my mouth that carried the flavor on and on.

Drinkability is EXCELLENT. This is going down well, and it is improving as it warms. It will not be difficult finishing this bottle, and I know that I am going to see if there is any left at Julio's. I want another in my cellarso I can see what happens in a year or two.

06-25-2010 02:20:27 | More by connecticutpoet
JayS2629

Alabama

4.88/5  rDev +15.9%

Pours a deep, dark, motor oil black with a medium head that fades slowly. The head is dark mocha colored and very creamy. Leaves huge walls of thick lacing.

The aroma is complex with dominant espresso, mellow woody notes, pipe tobacco smoke, hints of vanilla and cinnamon, leather, and dark chocolate. Earthy elements and dark fruit with a nice finish of licorice.

The complexity follows the nose in the taste arena. Roasted malts, full, rich dark chocolate, creamy robust mocha, leather, oak, vanilla, plums and raisins. Licorice througout with hazelnut, and woody notes. Complex and multi-layered.

Super rich, creamy, thick and chewy.

Awesome, rich sipper.

08-21-2011 03:09:48 | More by JayS2629
Kranders

4.88/5  rDev +15.9%

Poured a super-thick, oily balck color with very minimal dark tan head. A pretty mild aroma, but it's full of burnt/dark sugars that give you the hint of richness. Absolutely smooth and delightful in taste. Hints of coffee/chocolate, but mostly heavy/dark sugars take over. Amazingly, the ABV is well hidden within the beer. The thick nature of the brew keeps on the tongue for a while. Excellent drink .

03-05-2012 02:46:25 | More by Kranders
BeerCon5

4.85/5  rDev +15.2%

Pours almost black in color with nearly a finger of coffee color head that doesn't last long, also a little oily on the glass.

The scent is very rich of flavor, chocolate is prominant along with roasted caramel malt, brown sugar is also present, along with a very boozy aroma.

The taste is again of chocolate and roasted malt, there is a strong alcohol presence, some dark sweet fruit, notes of earthy hops and some peppery spice.

Full bodied, thick, creamy and smooth, low carbonation.

This was an excellent RIS so much flavor and well balanced. I would definitely look for this again.

05-04-2012 14:41:32 | More by BeerCon5
JoEBoBpr

Missouri

4.85/5  rDev +15.2%

Poured into a tulip glass from a 22oz bomber.

Pours a gorgeous oily black color with a dark tan mocha colored head that is chocolatey looking and dense. It rises up to about half and inch. Slightly oily pour. Very nice looking brew.

Starts off with tons of delicious chocolaty goodness. Yummy oat grain notes with some tasty and roasty bread notes. Nice dark chocolate notes with some good milk chocolate sweetness. Mild caramel and molasses sweetness is present as well. There is some nice coffee notes with slight licorice and vanilla notes in the nose as well. Very delicious notes.

Wow. Taste wise this beer is amazing. Great balance of coffee roast notes with some nice chocolate and coca powder notes. Very delicious brew. Roasty, rich and full bodied. Delicious balance of toasty grain, roasted coffee, sweet coca and some nice dark coca bitterness. Amazing brew in my book. The mouthfeel is prefect. Creamy and silky with some nice micro bubbles that massage the tongue as the flavors coat the tongue with awesomeness. As the brew warms there are some nice vanilla spice notes and licorice that show up beneath the roasty notes. Awesome brew.

Very amazing brew! Im sad I haven't tried it sooner. Amazing roasted grain notes. Nice coffee that envelopes the whole experience. Nice cocoa sweetness with some slight dark cocoa bitterness. Overall. Extremely delicious and well balanced RIS.

10-02-2012 00:42:40 | More by JoEBoBpr
PeterParker

4.85/5  rDev +15.2%

Pours pitch black with a tiny dark brown head that almost instantly vanishes. No lacing.

Rich sweet coffee, chocolate, leathery, bit of dark fruit. Very sweet and smells so amazing.

MMM. Taste follows smell. Chocolatey coffeelike sweetness. So amazing.

Thick, slick, and full. Warming alcohol aftertaste. Almost no carbonation.

This is one of my favorite stouts ever. Possibly the best stout out there. At least as far as what's available to me. Simply amazing. Near perfect stout.

03-11-2014 02:34:13 | More by PeterParker
Cubatobaco

4.84/5  rDev +15%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

DORIS the Destroyer

A - Motor oil! I don't know what the SRM is for pitch black, but that's what it is! Served very cold, so not much head retention. Splotchy lacing that runs down the glass quickly.

S - Aromas of dark chocolate, hints of caramel, espresso, coffee grounds, and licorice. Nice stout nose!

T - I've never had a beer that taste so close the Oreos in my life! This is one of the best stouts I have ever tastes in my life. As a wine drinker as well, you seek balance for a display of perfection; this is what this stout represents. Flavors of brownie mix, fudge, and coffee grounds and ever present. What a beer!

M - This is a thick and frothy beer. Coats the palate well and makes for a great finish.

O - This is the second time I've had this, but my first full bomber. I am so impressed by this stout, it's amazing. With the proliferation of the craft beer market, and the stout style , this is a hard o e to compete with. I give this as close to a 5/5 as it can get...without actually given it one.

08-27-2013 01:38:18 | More by Cubatobaco
phiberoptik

4.83/5  rDev +14.7%

Wow... For as BIG of a beer as this, this goes down surprisingly well with little to no sting from the alcohol.

I shared this with a non-BA friend as he was kind enough to go out of his way to get it for me from a local store, and he said he couldnt imagine spending $12 on a bottle of beer (ha) but when he tried it he said it was worth every penny and compared it to a wine that should be sipped and enjoyed rather than drank like most beers.

It pours almost like hot motor oil that has been ran for 5,000 miles. Pitch black with a dark carmel layer of head. We drank this out of small rocks glasses so not much for a head to form.

The smell just hit me as roasted malts and dark chocolate.

As it warmed, it just got better and better. Coffee, dark chocolate, heavily roasted malt, and a hint of anise in the taste. Absolutely nothing about the taste of this beer held me back. Only the sheer quality and fact that I didnt want a buzz, held me back from drinking this faster.

I have a few bottles to keep on hand but I sure wish this was easier to get than it is. WOW!

04-13-2010 16:38:46 | More by phiberoptik
JustHarmless

4.83/5  rDev +14.7%

I drank this from a bomber bottle poured into my trusty chalice glass.

A- Jet black color, with a half finger cream colored head that quickly dissipated

A- Wonderful aroma of bittersweet chocolate, roasted malts, coffee, dark fruits and molasses

T- Follows the nose pretty closely, with chocolate and cocoa up front, some coffee, some dark fruits like plums, sweet molasses. I get just a slight bitterness on the back end

M- Deliciously creamy, full bodied mouthfeel with little to no carbonation. Beautifully balanced beer. No alcohol burn detected.

O- I highly recommend this beer. Wonderful from start to finish, truly enjoyable experience. Another great beer from Hoppin Frog

02-11-2012 16:02:34 | More by JustHarmless
beerhan

4.8/5  rDev +14%

I am reviewing this as I am drinking it for fear that I am going to have this 22oz bomber down in the next ten minutes. This beer is simply beautiful. It is nearly pitchblack with a cocoa head. It tastes like dark chocolate with a hint of coffee with a creamy aftertaste. I love imperial stouts and had no idea what to expect from a Double Oatmeal Russian Imperial Stout but needless to say this is excellent. Its sad that I have never tried anything from this brewery before yet they are only a couple hours away from me. That frog just had me doubting them. I have always heard good things about Boris but never got around to paying ten dollars for a bottle from a brewery I had never heard of but this is beauty at its finest.

06-04-2010 05:51:04 | More by beerhan
vicsju1991

4.8/5  rDev +14%

poured from bomber into pint glass
A - jet black with really dark mocha coloured head, impossible to see through
S - dark chocolate roasted malts, dark fruits, and bananas
T - delicious smoooth chocolatey, also tastes of bananas, a little fruityness, very chocolatey finish,
M - very smooth and easy to drink
O - very delicious veyr smooth, very filling beer, one of my new favourite stouts

04-09-2012 18:02:52 | More by vicsju1991
klewis

4.78/5  rDev +13.5%

A: Pours pitch black with a sticky, tan head.

S: Malty with aromas of molasses and mocha with a nutty character.

T: Huge flavor. Charred oak, anise, burnt chocolate. Well-balanced with some hops up front and a slight residual sweetness in the back. A very mild alcohol presence.

M: Thick, chewy, and sticky with light carbonation. One of the biggest feeling beers that I've had.

D: As advertised, this drinks like an amped up BORIS. Awesome.

04-06-2010 14:18:23 | More by klewis
Ryan011235

4.78/5  rDev +13.5%

Poured into a snifter on 5/18/10

Man, this is one dark beer. Even on the pour DORIS is one of the darkest, most dense browns I've seen in a beer; very close to black. Once in the glass I held it to the light; the result was similar to an eclipse. A very slow & determined pour managed to raise one finger of darker-hued milk chocolate foam. Interestingly enough, the foam takes its time receding to a thin skim & some bubbles. Spiderweb-like lacing so far. Decent retention considering. Lacing is almost nil in the long run; just up & vanishes. However, a good bit of lace holds on from the second pour.

Steeped in roasted malts & oatmeal, the nose is quite intense & impressive. Said oatmeal quickly imparts an air of gentility to an otherwise assertive malt bill. Notes of freshly ground coffee beans, espresso & high-cocoa-percentage dark chocolate. On the whole it smells dry & roasted; there doesn't seem to be a ton of sugars. Some alcohol is detectable in the nose.

The taste is all the more impressive. Bittersweet dark chocolate rushes in immediately & is of great dominance throughout. Dry, roasted coffee blends in at a seemingly perfect ratio, becoming most notable toward the finish. Plenty of oats offer something of a refined counterpoint to the roasted malt madness, though the oats are less pronounced than in the aroma. Hints of molasses emerge toward the mid-section. Thankfully this beer stops short of being overly sweet. Though not nearly the hoppiest of Russian Imperial Stouts, a bit of hop kick is had toward the finish - seems to be of the citric variety, though it's too integrated to be sure. Moderate burnt undertones also are manifest on the finish.

Very dense & viscous, DORIS is a formidable opponent. No doubt this is a weighty beer; so sticky & chewy. Carbonation is low & creamy with a full willingness to allow the flavor profile to be its most expressive. Roasted residuals of the above malty goodness linger on the finish, as does the aforementioned hop bitterness. Alcohol heat is appreciable, though it isn't too harsh.

Taking into account the magnitude of this beer, drinkability is awesome. It's a sipper for sure, but dang if it isn't worth every minute. My only critique, albeit a minor one, would be a tad more burnt flavors. That would be nit-picking, though. This beer lost no luster as I drank it; I actually found myself more intrigued by it with each passing sip. For me, this is in the top-tier of the style. If you see it, don't hesitate.

06-03-2010 00:44:56 | More by Ryan011235
stewart124

4.75/5  rDev +12.8%

Pours like oil. This has some reddish hues as it pours with a nice tan head.

Smells of huge roasted malts, coffee, vanilla and cinnamon.

Whoa! Silky smooth and full-bodied. This is a bomber! Plenty and I mean plenty of roasted malts. Biscuity goodness and melanoidin characters just round out the malt character. Then there are the hops! Bitterness to the extreme. Leaves plenty of hop resin and pine on the tongue.

The alcohol is present without taking away from the overall character. Aftertaste is full of roasted malts and pine resin from the hops. Delicious!

02-03-2011 01:30:45 | More by stewart124
someguyinohio

4.75/5  rDev +12.8%

Product from a Bomber - 22 oz.
First, I laughed out loud when I poured the viscous black oil beer with the leather brown foam... I thought… "are ya kidding me?" I mean you've got love a beer you can spread on toast!

My initial taste reaction was that this is "reduced" Great Divide YETI! It's like a YETI concentrate. And that's a good er... great thing! The other facet to this Imperial Stout is that they can pull of such a viscous pudding of a stout with such little carbonation. Rarely has this been done without it coming across as flat and limpid. This is that rare occasion where it just works.

The wonderful thick pudding mouth feel with that lingering, languid alcohol finish really compensates for the Porter style of low carbo. But no matter, there is plenty of richness, creamy caramel and toffee with a density of flavor that reminds of the “Black Cow” candy bar. So dark, so dense, so molasses, and then the release of the alcohol wisps at the end provide just the right balance.

This is a stout to be sipped with the remnants stowed in the back of the mouth and marinated, ruminated, and reflected on. Then it should be nominated for Reference (Double) Imperial Stout. I put the parenthesis in only because the bottle reads “Double” Imperial Stout, which unnecessarily complicates a simple decision. This is simply the BEST Imperial Stout I’ve ever had.

Remember, I started with this describing it as “reduced” YETI. That is a huge compliment, from me at least. Because I feel that the YETI stays within the confines of the traditional Imperial Stout, whereas Night Tripper and Dragons Milk do not. They are superb, but they color outside the lines. So saying this is a “reduced” YETI is a very simple way to describe a very complex, but utter deliciously true to the craft of an Imperial Stout. Bravo. But then further research is necessary… just to be sure…
cheers.

04-13-2012 17:11:35 | More by someguyinohio
beerthulhu

4.75/5  rDev +12.8%

A: Viscose crude oil pour exit from the bottle settles with a two finger marshmellow mild chocolate colored head that was fairly steady and long on the hold. The lacing sticks around with a thin film, full coating on the vessel. Hardly gets better then this visually overall and per style.

S: Oatmeal is distinct, a rich chocolate roast, freshly ground dark espressro beans lie underneath providing a good level of aromatic activity. A touch of burnt caramel, burnt marshmellow with some burnt wildflower hopping. Toasted burnt woodiness, nice gentle lingering aroma. Rich and smooth.

T: Flavor was rich with a sweetly dark burnt presence of chocolate roast, oats, and burnt marshmellow. Some creamer, roasted barley and alcohol hints. Smooth roasted bitterness is silky on the take. A touch of smoked burnt woodiness, smoldering campfire silty minerality, nutmeg alcohol, burnt wildflowers leaves with a very refined lingering smooth silty bitterness.

M: Medium body, softly carbonated, very smooth and silky texture on the tongue. No alcohol detection.

O: Overall a very smooth and silky dark roasted treat with a well concealed abv%. Very nice and easy drinkability, great complexity, transition of flavor from start to finish and a silty smooth bitterness. Keeps getting better and better to the bitter end.

06-28-2012 23:09:25 | More by beerthulhu
bert13tj

4.72/5  rDev +12.1%

Tastes sweet, great beer to start your day or evening with!!

A - Completely black pour, nice dark head that coats the glass and seems to last forever.

S - Roasted malts, chocolate malts, you can really taste the coffee, a hint of burnt wood & smoke, more hops than most stouts, very earthy.

T - Very complex, hints of chocolate, roasted malts. Almost to the point of chewy, probably the oats here. Nice little hints of hops. Great Taste

M - Very rich & creamy mouth feel. Oats add a chewy feel, and the finish is long and sticky.

D - Extremely drinkable, with 10.5%.

05-04-2010 20:18:28 | More by bert13tj
ISmith87

Arizona

4.71/5  rDev +11.9%
look: 4 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

A - 4 - Black beer, mocha head, nice lacing.
S - 4.75 – Great roasted coffee, espresso, chocolate, cream, vanilla, oak but it's not oak aged, smokey. Amazing smelling beer.
T – 4.75 – Alot is the same as the smell. More on the booze and bourbon flavors. Roasted coffee, espersso, chocolate, cream, vanilla, oak, smoke. Very similar to Expedition Stout.
M – 4.75 – Very thick, chocolate milkshake like beer. Alc present and appropriate. Aftertaste is roasted malts, chocolate, coffee, smoke. Very flavorful and complex beer.
O – 4.75 – Great beer. Very similar to Bell's Expedition stout. Less available and probably not as good of a deal though. Not worth the 18.99 price tag if you can get expedition instead.

12-16-2013 20:41:44 | More by ISmith87