D.O.R.I.S. The Destroyer Double Imperial Stout - Hoppin' Frog Brewery

D.O.R.I.S. The Destroyer Double Imperial StoutD.O.R.I.S. The Destroyer Double Imperial Stout

Hoppin' Frog Brewery visit their website
Ohio, United States

Russian Imperial Stout |  10.50% ABV

Beer added by: MbpBugeye on 03-26-2010

Reviews: 421 | Hads: 1,216
1.17/5  rDev -72.1%

/* Its black, real black, with a small brown head

S- in a word not good. the overwhelming smell is of raisins. it is _so_ sweet with what i think are slight hints of chocolate and coffee but the syrupy-sweet raisin/port aroma burn my nose too much to really get a good smell.

T- oh boy. raisins everywhere! just about everything i dislike in an alcoholic drink. i can feel the hangover with every sip of this syrupy sweet beer. it is jagermiester minus the anise flavor.

M- syrupy. coating the mouth and tongue and belly

O-I've been drinking beer for a long time and taking notes on what I drink. There is literally no beer that I've tasted that I want to drink less than this beer. Perhaps it's because I don't ike port? does everyone else that reviewed this like port? Honestly, I'm just confused as to the high ratings. I like Imperial Stouts, but not this one.

2.36/5  rDev -43.8%

650 mL bottle poured into a snifter. Reviewed from notes.

Appearance - Inky pitch black. Nice mocha head. Reduces to faint wisps, but stains the glass.

Smell - Lots of black patent malt. Deep chocolate. Boozy.

Taste - Immediate booze and chocolate. Then it has this intense peppery flavor that is quite bad. Very bitter. Harsh and metallic.

Mouthfeel - Harsh alcohol. Oxidized, I think, but there's no age information on the bottle. Medium heavy.

Overall - No idea what is causing that terrible flavor, but it makes it undrinkable. They way I'd imagine rust would taste.

2.92/5  rDev -30.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3 | feel: 1.75 | overall: 2.75

22 fl oz brown glass bottle with appealing if simple label art and unbranded gold pressure cap acquired at Lukas Liquor and served into an EKU 28 stem-snifter glass in me parents' gaff in high altitude Castle Rock CO. 10.5% ABV confirmed. 118 OG. 70 IBU. I don't recall exactly when this was picked up, but it's at least 6 months old and no more than 14.

Served chilled - after a period of rest following its removal from the fridge - and allowed to warm over the course of consumption. Side-poured with standard vigor as no carbonation issues are anticipated.

A: No bubble show forms as it's poured.

Pours a half finger wide head of gorgeous rich tan colour with shiny red hues. Nice thickness and creaminess. Retention is subpar - about 40 seconds, though the floater ring it resolves to remains for maybe a minute longer. Luscious thick even lacing coats the sides of the glass. Nice soft complexion. Smooth consistency.

Body colour is, predictably, an opaque solid jet black. No floating yeast particles are visible. No light can penetrate this beer.

Overall, it's an appealing appearance for an imperial stout and I'm really looking forward to trying it. Not unique or special. No egregious flaws. The head colour is wonderful; I just wish it would stick around longer.

Sm: Luscious lush cream. Dark malts. Milk chocolate. Chocolate malts. Lightly earthy. Any roasted barley is so buried it's imperceptible. It's a biteen timid, and is surprisingly light in terms of its strength. Oatmeal is about as strong here as oatmeal in a beer gets - which admittedly isn't much. Seems silky and velvety just based on the aroma - as unlikely as that may seem.

Not boozy or hot. Clean; no yeast character is detectable. I find no coffee.

A pleasing, sweet aroma. I'm looking forward to trying it.

T/Mf: Elegant, silky, velvety, slick, smooth, and wet.

But it's also has this atrocious earthy bitterness, evoking ash and spent coffee. There're even some grainy sedimentary notes lurking beneath the surface.

Dark malts and chocolate malts comprise the bulk of the foundation. It's nicely creamy. Hopping is strong for the style; I pick up some hop bitterness as well as faint traces of floral hop character - which have faded with age to unfavorable effect.

Well-carbonated. Subpar presence on the palate. Decent thickness and body. A filling beer. Luckily, it's never too syrupy. But unfortunately, it's quite astringent, rough, harsh, and even vinous. Ugh. It drags on the palate. The texture is a real disappointment. Even the smoothing oats can't save it.

Not oily or gushed.

It's certainly on the sweeter end.

Balance is mediocre. Build isn't particularly cohesive, and is far from gestalt. Average duration and intensity of flavour. Below average depth of flavour. It's got plenty of complexity, but can't manage its many notes in a pleasing approachable way. Lacks subtlety, intricacy, and nuance. It's very bold and assertive, but attacks and ravages the palate without any consideration for delicacy or fragility.

Dr: An overly-aggressive imperial stout with far too much hopping (both in terms of personal preference and just for the balance of the beer). I'm really disappointed. I wouldn't buy this again or recommend it to friends. Ultimately, it's just too damn bitter and earthy. The mouthfeel is a disaster. It's difficult to drink as a result. I'll have to revisit it fresh to see if age was its undoing.

Bomber poured into an oversized snifter. An inky looking body with a modest bubbly head and even more modest lacing.

Nose is full of rich roasted malts and chocolate chips. Something vaguely remiscent of blueberry pie in the background. Just a hint of booze in the nose, but the flavor is quite strong. It somewhat distracts from the berry and cherry, and definitely distracts from the roasted malts. Not as viscous as it appears, but fairly smooth.

Overall impression: The booziness is pretty unfortunate, as this seems very close to being a nice beer. I suspect some cellar time would treat it kindly; if I run into another one, I'll tuck it away for a couple of years to see what happens.

3.01/5  rDev -28.3%

Couch surfin' with the irrepressible milwaukeeclassic

22 oz bottle decanted into two eager snifters. Deep dark chocolate colored pour with a mocha colored head that dissipates towards the edges.

Holy SWEET Jesus...Boozy, bit of dark chocolate, leafy hops, and did I mention the booziness? Nostrilical follicles are sufficiently fried.

Very hoppy, quite bitter and dry with some coffee mate, chocolate, and plastic. There is a strange chemical quality here that keeps this from being particularly enjoyable. I had higher hopes for this. I can sense the headache coming as this beer becomes a chore to finish.

3.12/5  rDev -25.7%

Get heavy notes of fish and an almost sardine aftertaste which mostly ruins a good nose. The flavor is good on the front end with heavy smoke. The initial poor the head has a reddish tone which I found strange. Not worth the price tag and a little disappointing from an otherwise top notch brewery.

3.12/5  rDev -25.7%

I picked up this bottle for $10.99 in Columbus, and I'm trying it immediately to guage whether to purchase any more tomorrow (just released today). The beer is very dark, opaque brown with a thick tan foam, about 1-finger dissipating to 1/2-finger.

The aroma is rich but a little odd at first. There's something like a burnt corn-husk component to it, light but present along with the roasted malts and faint ethanol. After tasting the beer I suspect the smell is somehow related to the hops, as I get some mild similarities with overhopped stouts (Darkness, Night Stalker). The main flavors are roasted malts and ethanol, with hops bitterness in the background and some lasting cornhusk/floral mixtures in the aftertaste.

The body is fairly thick and creamy, and the carbonation is somewhat light. Viscous stuff, with loads of flavor.

Overall I'm a little disappointed. I can't get enough of BA B.O.R.I.S., and I hoped Hoppin Frog would approach that level of greatness with D.O.R.I.S., albeit at a lower price point. It seems to me, however, that the beer is just B.O.R.I.S. with the malt and hops bills ramped up, leaving a beer with odd hops presence and too much alcohol in the flavor. Oh well...

3.14/5  rDev -25.2%
look: 2.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3.5

Cellar temp into Chimay goblet.

Pours with a very faint deep-brown head over a jet black body. No lacing.

Aromas of licorice root, dark chocolate, and lots of black strap molasses.

Flavors are nice, but average, and dare I say a little sloppy for a great RIS. Lots of hop bitterness, molasses, a touch of roasted malt sweetness, cigar, and thick coffee-liquer. Bitterness stands out in the finish.

Mouthfeel is thick & slick, but also biting. I'm assuming the hops have taken over my palate, and caused this caustic sensation. Ok for a RIS, but not among the top 50%.

Drinkability is not bad, but not exceptional.

Flavors are nice - I really enjoyed this beer overall (so hate to give it this score), but when you score it against the others in the style category, it's a little short of top-notch.

In all fairness, I will buy two more and cellar each for 2-3 years to compare and update my review if it mellows nicely.

3.15/5  rDev -25%

Bottle shared by Nanoslug, approximately 2 years old. Thanks!

A: Pours a pitch black body with a short-lived mocha colored head.

S: Dark chocolate, fudgy brownies, coffee, roasted grain, and a touch of citrus and stale hop.

T: Baker's chocolate, roasted grain, a small flavor of coffee and citrus hops. This was probably pretty hoppy fresh, but that has clearly faded out with age, and some stale-hop flavor is starting to creep in.

M: Medium-plus bodied, with low-ish carbonation that makes for a velvety experience overall. Well hidden booze, but perhaps the age has tempered it (I've never had this fresh).

O: We opened this after a BORIS of similar age, and we all agreed that the BORIS was much better. All of BORIS was consumed, whereas half of DORIS was still left. Not a bad beer, but she is outclassed by her younger brother.

3.26/5  rDev -22.4%

A - black as oil. Short brown head.

S - potentially more dark chocolate scent than many chocolate stouts. Hop bitterness, some roasted malts and a touch of dried fruit.

T - lots of dark chocolate. Hops are in well represented in the mix. Mild malts and fruit.

M - solid coating, even coats the teeth. Tingles don't last but move around the mouth, even under the tongue. Alcohol burn in back of throat.

D - a little too much alcohol feel and you MUST be in the mood for chocolate.

Large capped bottle.

Poured into a snifter, it is pitch black, with minimal head, just about no lacing.
Aroma is this beer's best part, smoke, piney hops, chocolate, coffee, possibly some oats.
Body is not as full as I expected, and the minimal carbonation subtracts a bit more from the enjoyment.
Some notes of chocolate, some coffee, minimal oats, and a lot of hops and alcohol heat. It feels somewhere between a black IPA and an overhopped stout, with citric and piney notes that just do not blend very well, and then the alcohol heat keeps on coming. I was disappointed.

3.34/5  rDev -20.5%

I would like to start this review off noting last night I had The Abyss (a far superior beer). Further, I had the 2009 release that many are griping about. Beyond that, I would like to mention that this beer is above average. I think I am drinking it too early. There is some heat that I would like to mellow. I think with some age this beer will climb the ranks and will become very impressive. I would like to get anothe D.O.R.I.S. to age, but I really didn't expect the one I got.

I am happy. Today has been a great day and I wanted to finish the day with a great night cap. My score may reflect my overall disappointment, but I don't believe I was too harsh.

The appearance took me the most. When I first popped the cap, before the pour, I smelled the beer from the bottle. I didn't enjoy what I smelt. With optimism, I poured the beer and was awed. As the bubbles ascended to form a chocolate mousse crown mold, I was taken by the beauty this beer radiated while transforming to its climax. Then, as the crown receded, there was some lace left and dissipated to nothing but the thin, black oil in which it originated from.

The smell seems to be very one-sided. The smell is very strong, and I like that. However, there is not too much going on. Predominant in the nose is alcohol. After searching past the alcohol (and you have to search) there is coffee-burt coffee. After searching past the burt coffee, I detect maple syrup. Again, the syrup smells burnt. I can not dig another thing out of this beer except the breath of a coffee drinking drunk's breath after dining at the local waffle joint.

The taste is average, at best. I imagine frying a pancake in Godiva liqueur, burning it, pouring some molasses on top mixed with 151 and you have an edible D.O.R.I.S. I don't want to slam this beer-i am just being honest.

The mouthfeel has some carbonation and is smooth on the palate, at first. Right after the pleasure part of swallowing this beer, I am left with nothing but a thin coat to reminisce on what this beer could, and should have been.

The drink is decent considering the alcohol content. But it is the alcohol that destroys this beer, it is too strong to drink this soon. I wish I had held on to this beer and let it reach maturity. Right now it is a defiant toddler/preteen lost in its rebellion.

22oz bottle into a tulip

A: Pours black as empty space with a nice very dark brown head that fades to a ring and leaves some lacing on the glass. Seriously mean looking stout!

S: The nose starts with dark chocolate and a bit of citrus from the hops. That's about all I get out of the aroma here besides the booze.

T: The taste is equally disappointing with mainly bakers chocolate and citrus hops. The booze is also noticeable here and not in a good way.

M: The feel is excellent though. On the fuller side of medium with a great amount of creamy carbonation.

O: I had this at a tasting a year ago and thought it was tasty. Having this bottle I may have to change my mind on that one. I like the look and the feel but the most important aspects are average at best.

3.35/5  rDev -20.2%

Aroma - Mostly roasted malts but a decent amount of hops as well.

Appearance - Completely dark brown with a thin dark brown head, not much carbonation.

Taste - Lots of roasted malts but plenty of hops as well along with a surprising amount of alcohol burn. Kind of a disjointed beer where it doesn't taste like anything is working together. The two biggest flaws are the hops and alcohol.

Notes - Age should smooth this beer out and so I put a bomber in my cellar to see if I'm right.

3.35/5  rDev -20.2%

A- An opaque black with a small dark brown head that becomes patchy with a ring around the glass.

S- Dark roasted malt accompanied by dark chocolate and hints of coffee. Slight bitterness chocolate notes pick up towards the middle of the beer and accompanies the smell towards the end as the roasted smell finishes out the beer.

T- The taste starts out much like the nose, a smooth chocolate complexion brings your taste buds to attention as the roasted malt and coffee taste develop towards the middle of the beer. A hot alcohol taste pushes aside much of the chocolate and roasted malt as a bitterness is the only other taste that continues into the aftertaste. Has a lot of potential, but this one still seems hot and should sit for a while. I'll probably pick another one up and put it away for awhile.

M- A great think and chewy mouthfeel, very smooth and refreshing and is definitely the highlight of the beer.

D- The hot alcohol taste makes this one a little difficult to put down. Something I hope would improve with some time as well.

3.35/5  rDev -20.2%

Thanks for Draught2012 for bringing this to our impromptu tasting last night.

This was our night cap beer last night and I'd have to say it was the proper choice. Touch to turn to anything else after this viscous black thing.

There is a head the forms for a moment and immediately vanishes. No lacing. The beer is visually thick and virtually black. NO light getting through here.

Chocolate syrup in the aroma. Some sweetness

What's interesting s that this is initially sweet with again the chocolate syrup taste. Then the sweetness fades and you are left with ash and charcoal. I don't think this works nicely with the big hop bitterness that is also in the finish. Obviously dark roasted malts meld all the way through. I think it would be nicer if the sweetness was more consistent.
I get a moment of brown sugar while drinking this.

Thick with the slightest possible carbonation.

I'd be interested to see how this develops with age. Not among my favorite R.I.S.'s

Still thankful to have tried it.

3.38/5  rDev -19.5%

A: The pour is nearly black with a dense tan head on it. Quite a nice looking beer.

S: The nose is full of char and burnt malts, coffee, and lots of roast. Not as much in terms of the chocolate notes that I tend to pick up with BORIS.

T: This is one roasty RIS. Lots of coffee, roasted malts, and a fair amount of char. Quite bitter for the style, but not necessarily in a hoppy way. More of in the burnt your chicken on the grill sort of way.

M: The body is quite substantial, which is no surprise. And the carbonation is minimal.

D: This was pretty disappointing, actually. I really enjoy BORIS so I was looking forward to trying this beer, but I have to say I was let down.

3.41/5  rDev -18.8%

Served in a glass mug.

Maybe someone can remix the classic Who song, huh? Nah, maybe not. Anyway, this thing pours a straight obsidian topped by a finger of burnt sienna foam. The nose comprises burnt rubber, fusels, roasted malts, coffee, and chocolate-covered raisins. The taste holds a surprising amount of hops, with some heavy pine, flower, and greens piercing the dark backdrop, which itself is composed of pretzels, dark chocolate, and light roasted malts. Honestly, the hoppiness really takes hold, and the stout-like qualities are overshadowed and buried. The body is a hefty medium, with a light moderate carbonation and a thick, chewy feel. Overall, I did not care all that much for this one. The hoppiness took away from what could've been a great stout and kept me from really wanting to finish my portion of the bottle.

3.43/5  rDev -18.3%

Pours a vicious midnight black with a dark brown head.

The aroma is roasted malts, marshmallow, dusty cocoa, stale coffee, cigarette butts, and some alcohol heat.

The flavor is loaded with roasted malts and cigarette butts. Seriously, I feel like I'm chewing on an ashtray. I love some nice roastiness in my stouts (à la Expedition), but this is ridiculous! Definitely too much....although there is some nice dark fruit sweetness and chocolate underneath that helps save it from being bad.

The body is medium to full and carbonation is at good levels.

Overall, I like the direction that Hoppin' Frog took with this one...I think they are on the right track. If that cigarette flavor could get toned down a bit I may even call this one "great," but I can't just ignore such a huge flaw.

3.46/5  rDev -17.6%

Poured from a 22 oz bottle into an oversized snifter. Pours an inpenatrable black, with a thin dark brown soapy head.

Heavy alcohol coffee smell, with hints of chocolate. Some solvent as well, this is way strong in aroma.

Intense in flavor, with dark chocolate, bitter coffee, and alcohol. Hop bitternes appears midway through the sip. As it warms, more chocolate notes appear.

Full bodied, as you'd expect from this fork'n'knife beer.

Decent brew, but there are better examples of the style in my opinion.

3.5/5  rDev -16.7%

bomber into a snifter. opens with a weak sign. review #550.

A: pours the pitches of blacks. havent had too many beers that are this dark. head is brown and minimal. lacing is thick. the head size might have something to do with the the lack of pop of the cap.

S: coffee, booze, roast, sweet unfermented sugars. hoppy, but definitely more malt on this nose.

T: big time flavors here. boozy and slightly autolyzed. starts roasty and sweet. the sugars linger throughout and stick into the finish. the roast doest dry out but stays a bit sweeter.

M: super silky and pretty flat. unfortunate. full bodied. duh.

D: this is a big time boozy brew but not totally unrestrained. gets smoother as the sips progress. however, i would suggest giving this some more time in the bottle. also, since having both i would have to say im more of a fan of DORIS little brother, BORIS.

3.51/5  rDev -16.4%

Pours dark black with a mocha colored head with good retention and spotty lacing. The aroma has a lot of dark roasted malt, along with cocoa, and dark chocolate.

The taste has dark roasted malt, cocoa, dark chocolate, and alcohol. The taste is somewhat sweet, with a good amount of bitterness from the dark roasted malt. The alcohol is noticeable, and I would like this beer better if it was well disguised.

Full bodied and chewy with below average carbonation. There is a good amount of alcohol heat in the aftertaste. Overall a good beer, but not as good as B.O.R.I.S. the Crusher, due to the alcohol heat, and too much dark roasted malt for my liking.

3.53/5  rDev -16%

Appearance: Pours black, heavy and syrupy. Head is dark khaki, creamy, and drops to a tiny collar in short order. Very still and heavy.

Smell: Intense, fudgy sweetness. Massive malts. Sweet, chocolate malts, cake, fudge, deep roasted malts, and did I mention chocolate. Fresh espresso. So sweet and roasty. Reminds me of chocolate cake. Leather and plum. Raisins. Deep fruit. Burnt, over roasted malts. Faintly smoky.

Taste: Intensely roasted. Acrid smoky edge. Slightly burnt. Leather, plum and cherry. Huge sweetness. Chocolate cake and brownies. Fudge, loads of fudge. Chocolate, dark, milk, nibs, and malts. It's all there. Old coffee grinds. Bitter roasty chocolate. Treacle. Oats on the back. Rough around the edges. So much malt aggression.

Mouthfeel: Full and syrupy. No carbonation. Slightly dry in an acrid way.

Overall: This beer is absurd.

So much malt, so much everything. It was a struggle to drink half the bottle and I felt like crap afterward. So very heavy and sweet and decadent. Sits heavy. Split with a bunch of friends. Dessert beer for a week.

3.53/5  rDev -16%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Appearance: Opaque black pour with a small tan head

Smell: Heavy hops, roasted malts, chocolate, dark fruits, booze

Taste: Roast, smoke, coffee, toffee, chocolate, hops. Seems very ho-hum, nothing to distinguish it from others.

Mouthfeel: Full bodied and heavy

Overall: Average RIS

3.55/5  rDev -15.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

22oz bottle poured into a tulip

Pours a thick ink black with a tight, bubbly mocha cap. Little to no lacing or retention. Just a thin collar.

The nose is of rich roast dark chocolate malt, ethanol, pine needles, coffee grounds and a touch of vanilla. Nothing really grabs me and invites me to the party.

The flavor profile matches the nose. Coffee grounds, rich dark chocolate, ethanol, rolled oats, dark cherries, piney hops, and a touch of vanilla in the ethanol filled finish. There's nothing here that wows me, but it's definitely above average.

Full, rich body, smooth with a ton of heat.

I wasnt really blown away by this guy. I liked its little brother BORIS better. The flavors and aromas just came up imbalanced to me.

D.O.R.I.S. The Destroyer Double Imperial Stout from Hoppin' Frog Brewery