D.O.R.I.S. The Destroyer Double Imperial Stout - Hoppin' Frog Brewery

D.O.R.I.S. The Destroyer Double Imperial StoutD.O.R.I.S. The Destroyer Double Imperial Stout

Hoppin' Frog Brewery visit their website
Ohio, United States

Russian Imperial Stout |  10.50% ABV

(Beer added by: MbpBugeye on 03-26-2010)

1.15/5  rDev -72.7%

/* Its black, real black, with a small brown head

S- in a word not good. the overwhelming smell is of raisins. it is _so_ sweet with what i think are slight hints of chocolate and coffee but the syrupy-sweet raisin/port aroma burn my nose too much to really get a good smell.

T- oh boy. raisins everywhere! just about everything i dislike in an alcoholic drink. i can feel the hangover with every sip of this syrupy sweet beer. it is jagermiester minus the anise flavor.

M- syrupy. coating the mouth and tongue and belly

O-I've been drinking beer for a long time and taking notes on what I drink. There is literally no beer that I've tasted that I want to drink less than this beer. Perhaps it's because I don't ike port? does everyone else that reviewed this like port? Honestly, I'm just confused as to the high ratings. I like Imperial Stouts, but not this one.

2.28/5  rDev -45.8%

650 mL bottle poured into a snifter. Reviewed from notes.

Appearance - Inky pitch black. Nice mocha head. Reduces to faint wisps, but stains the glass.

Smell - Lots of black patent malt. Deep chocolate. Boozy.

Taste - Immediate booze and chocolate. Then it has this intense peppery flavor that is quite bad. Very bitter. Harsh and metallic.

Mouthfeel - Harsh alcohol. Oxidized, I think, but there's no age information on the bottle. Medium heavy.

Overall - No idea what is causing that terrible flavor, but it makes it undrinkable. They way I'd imagine rust would taste.

2.5/5  rDev -40.6%

2.75/5  rDev -34.7%

2.89/5  rDev -31.4%

2.9/5  rDev -31.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3 | feel: 1.75 | overall: 2.75

22 fl oz brown glass bottle with appealing if simple label art and unbranded gold pressure cap acquired at Lukas Liquor and served into an EKU 28 stem-snifter glass in me parents' gaff in high altitude Castle Rock CO. 10.5% ABV confirmed. 118 OG. 70 IBU. I don't recall exactly when this was picked up, but it's at least 6 months old and no more than 14.

Served chilled - after a period of rest following its removal from the fridge - and allowed to warm over the course of consumption. Side-poured with standard vigor as no carbonation issues are anticipated.

A: No bubble show forms as it's poured.

Pours a half finger wide head of gorgeous rich tan colour with shiny red hues. Nice thickness and creaminess. Retention is subpar - about 40 seconds, though the floater ring it resolves to remains for maybe a minute longer. Luscious thick even lacing coats the sides of the glass. Nice soft complexion. Smooth consistency.

Body colour is, predictably, an opaque solid jet black. No floating yeast particles are visible. No light can penetrate this beer.

Overall, it's an appealing appearance for an imperial stout and I'm really looking forward to trying it. Not unique or special. No egregious flaws. The head colour is wonderful; I just wish it would stick around longer.

Sm: Luscious lush cream. Dark malts. Milk chocolate. Chocolate malts. Lightly earthy. Any roasted barley is so buried it's imperceptible. It's a biteen timid, and is surprisingly light in terms of its strength. Oatmeal is about as strong here as oatmeal in a beer gets - which admittedly isn't much. Seems silky and velvety just based on the aroma - as unlikely as that may seem.

Not boozy or hot. Clean; no yeast character is detectable. I find no coffee.

A pleasing, sweet aroma. I'm looking forward to trying it.

T/Mf: Elegant, silky, velvety, slick, smooth, and wet.

But it's also has this atrocious earthy bitterness, evoking ash and spent coffee. There're even some grainy sedimentary notes lurking beneath the surface.

Dark malts and chocolate malts comprise the bulk of the foundation. It's nicely creamy. Hopping is strong for the style; I pick up some hop bitterness as well as faint traces of floral hop character - which have faded with age to unfavorable effect.

Well-carbonated. Subpar presence on the palate. Decent thickness and body. A filling beer. Luckily, it's never too syrupy. But unfortunately, it's quite astringent, rough, harsh, and even vinous. Ugh. It drags on the palate. The texture is a real disappointment. Even the smoothing oats can't save it.

Not oily or gushed.

It's certainly on the sweeter end.

Balance is mediocre. Build isn't particularly cohesive, and is far from gestalt. Average duration and intensity of flavour. Below average depth of flavour. It's got plenty of complexity, but can't manage its many notes in a pleasing approachable way. Lacks subtlety, intricacy, and nuance. It's very bold and assertive, but attacks and ravages the palate without any consideration for delicacy or fragility.

Dr: An overly-aggressive imperial stout with far too much hopping (both in terms of personal preference and just for the balance of the beer). I'm really disappointed. I wouldn't buy this again or recommend it to friends. Ultimately, it's just too damn bitter and earthy. The mouthfeel is a disaster. It's difficult to drink as a result. I'll have to revisit it fresh to see if age was its undoing.

C

Bomber poured into an oversized snifter. An inky looking body with a modest bubbly head and even more modest lacing.

Nose is full of rich roasted malts and chocolate chips. Something vaguely remiscent of blueberry pie in the background. Just a hint of booze in the nose, but the flavor is quite strong. It somewhat distracts from the berry and cherry, and definitely distracts from the roasted malts. Not as viscous as it appears, but fairly smooth.

Overall impression: The booziness is pretty unfortunate, as this seems very close to being a nice beer. I suspect some cellar time would treat it kindly; if I run into another one, I'll tuck it away for a couple of years to see what happens.

Couch surfin' with the irrepressible milwaukeeclassic

22 oz bottle decanted into two eager snifters. Deep dark chocolate colored pour with a mocha colored head that dissipates towards the edges.

Holy SWEET Jesus...Boozy, bit of dark chocolate, leafy hops, and did I mention the booziness? Nostrilical follicles are sufficiently fried.

Very hoppy, quite bitter and dry with some coffee mate, chocolate, and plastic. There is a strange chemical quality here that keeps this from being particularly enjoyable. I had higher hopes for this. I can sense the headache coming as this beer becomes a chore to finish.

Unremarkable. Thick and heavy, but lacks any intensity of flavor.

3.1/5  rDev -26.4%

Get heavy notes of fish and an almost sardine aftertaste which mostly ruins a good nose. The flavor is good on the front end with heavy smoke. The initial poor the head has a reddish tone which I found strange. Not worth the price tag and a little disappointing from an otherwise top notch brewery.

3.13/5  rDev -25.7%
look: 2.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3.5

Cellar temp into Chimay goblet.

Pours with a very faint deep-brown head over a jet black body. No lacing.

Aromas of licorice root, dark chocolate, and lots of black strap molasses.

Flavors are nice, but average, and dare I say a little sloppy for a great RIS. Lots of hop bitterness, molasses, a touch of roasted malt sweetness, cigar, and thick coffee-liquer. Bitterness stands out in the finish.

Mouthfeel is thick & slick, but also biting. I'm assuming the hops have taken over my palate, and caused this caustic sensation. Ok for a RIS, but not among the top 50%.

Drinkability is not bad, but not exceptional.

Flavors are nice - I really enjoyed this beer overall (so hate to give it this score), but when you score it against the others in the style category, it's a little short of top-notch.

In all fairness, I will buy two more and cellar each for 2-3 years to compare and update my review if it mellows nicely.

3.13/5  rDev -25.7%

I picked up this bottle for $10.99 in Columbus, and I'm trying it immediately to guage whether to purchase any more tomorrow (just released today). The beer is very dark, opaque brown with a thick tan foam, about 1-finger dissipating to 1/2-finger.

The aroma is rich but a little odd at first. There's something like a burnt corn-husk component to it, light but present along with the roasted malts and faint ethanol. After tasting the beer I suspect the smell is somehow related to the hops, as I get some mild similarities with overhopped stouts (Darkness, Night Stalker). The main flavors are roasted malts and ethanol, with hops bitterness in the background and some lasting cornhusk/floral mixtures in the aftertaste.

The body is fairly thick and creamy, and the carbonation is somewhat light. Viscous stuff, with loads of flavor.

Overall I'm a little disappointed. I can't get enough of BA B.O.R.I.S., and I hoped Hoppin Frog would approach that level of greatness with D.O.R.I.S., albeit at a lower price point. It seems to me, however, that the beer is just B.O.R.I.S. with the malt and hops bills ramped up, leaving a beer with odd hops presence and too much alcohol in the flavor. Oh well...

3.15/5  rDev -25.2%

Bottle shared by Nanoslug, approximately 2 years old. Thanks!

A: Pours a pitch black body with a short-lived mocha colored head.

S: Dark chocolate, fudgy brownies, coffee, roasted grain, and a touch of citrus and stale hop.

T: Baker's chocolate, roasted grain, a small flavor of coffee and citrus hops. This was probably pretty hoppy fresh, but that has clearly faded out with age, and some stale-hop flavor is starting to creep in.

M: Medium-plus bodied, with low-ish carbonation that makes for a velvety experience overall. Well hidden booze, but perhaps the age has tempered it (I've never had this fresh).

O: We opened this after a BORIS of similar age, and we all agreed that the BORIS was much better. All of BORIS was consumed, whereas half of DORIS was still left. Not a bad beer, but she is outclassed by her younger brother.

3.23/5  rDev -23.3%

A - black as oil. Short brown head.

S - potentially more dark chocolate scent than many chocolate stouts. Hop bitterness, some roasted malts and a touch of dried fruit.

T - lots of dark chocolate. Hops are in well represented in the mix. Mild malts and fruit.

M - solid coating, even coats the teeth. Tingles don't last but move around the mouth, even under the tongue. Alcohol burn in back of throat.

D - a little too much alcohol feel and you MUST be in the mood for chocolate.

3.24/5  rDev -23%