D.O.R.I.S. The Destroyer Double Imperial Stout - Hoppin' Frog Brewery

D.O.R.I.S. The Destroyer Double Imperial StoutD.O.R.I.S. The Destroyer Double Imperial Stout

Hoppin' Frog Brewery visit their website
Ohio, United States

Russian Imperial Stout |  10.50% ABV

Beer added by: MbpBugeye on 03-26-2010

Reviews: 408 | Hads: 1,177
3.35/5  rDev -19.9%

A- An opaque black with a small dark brown head that becomes patchy with a ring around the glass.

S- Dark roasted malt accompanied by dark chocolate and hints of coffee. Slight bitterness chocolate notes pick up towards the middle of the beer and accompanies the smell towards the end as the roasted smell finishes out the beer.

T- The taste starts out much like the nose, a smooth chocolate complexion brings your taste buds to attention as the roasted malt and coffee taste develop towards the middle of the beer. A hot alcohol taste pushes aside much of the chocolate and roasted malt as a bitterness is the only other taste that continues into the aftertaste. Has a lot of potential, but this one still seems hot and should sit for a while. I'll probably pick another one up and put it away for awhile.

M- A great think and chewy mouthfeel, very smooth and refreshing and is definitely the highlight of the beer.

D- The hot alcohol taste makes this one a little difficult to put down. Something I hope would improve with some time as well. (1,049 characters)

4.05/5  rDev -3.1%

22oz bomber courtesy of alexsdad06 poured into a snifter.

Pours like motor oil out of the bottle with a small mocha head that leaves a thin collar and some drippy lacing.

The aroma is massively roasty with lots of black malts, cocoa powder, bakers chocolate and espresso. There is a hop presence but not enough to take away from the deeply roasted malt dominance.

More dark chocolate and charred black malts in the taste. The hops are a little more present and there is a bitterness in the finish that is half citrus hops and half bitter chocolate. There are some dark sweet fruits and licorice hiding behind the malts as well.

The mouthfeel is medium bodied and ultra smooth with the oatmeal adding to of the body. Dessert-like.

This beer is not fooling around - massively roasted with lots of malts, hops and sugary sweetness in the background. Definitely a sipper and probably not quite as good as BORIS for me. (919 characters)

3.01/5  rDev -28%

Couch surfin' with the irrepressible milwaukeeclassic

22 oz bottle decanted into two eager snifters. Deep dark chocolate colored pour with a mocha colored head that dissipates towards the edges.

Holy SWEET Jesus...Boozy, bit of dark chocolate, leafy hops, and did I mention the booziness? Nostrilical follicles are sufficiently fried.

Very hoppy, quite bitter and dry with some coffee mate, chocolate, and plastic. There is a strange chemical quality here that keeps this from being particularly enjoyable. I had higher hopes for this. I can sense the headache coming as this beer becomes a chore to finish. (610 characters)

4.1/5  rDev -1.9%

D.O.R.I.S. pours an onyx, pitch black color. Not an ounce of light penetrates through. Very impressive. It's topped with a very dark, mocha colored head that rises to just about two fingers. It's surprisingly slow to recede, and leaves a moderate amount of chocolate colored lace clinging to the glass. It's quite the looker, if I may say so.

The nose is quite good. Malts are in no short supply. A healthy dose of chocolate and roasted malts are noted. The chocolate variety smells mostly bittersweet and cocoa-ish. Roasted coffee is noted, but is more of secondary feature. Hops are also noted. I suspect they've trailed off to some degree since this bottle is 5 months old, but they're still present. Subtle notes of anise and molasses add nice depth. A nice whiff of alcohol finishes it off.

The flavor is pretty impressive. My first impression is that it's not quite as good as B.O.R.I.S., but it's not far off. A nice, bittersweet dark chocolate fudge flavor kicks it off. It is nice and roasty, and has a certain degree of a charred flavor. I like that. Dark espresso comes to mind. Hops are definitely in the mix. They're quite strong, and were presumably stronger a few months ago. I like hoppy stouts, and this one is certainly appealing. It is quite bitter, and dries out on the tail. Alcohol is perhaps a little too strong in the mix, and is a tad warming.

D.O.R.I.S. has a body that's on the lighter side of medium. Frankly, it's far too thin and is crying out for more body. Carbonation is light, and it is smooth. But, it needs more girth. Drinkability is good for such a big, hoppy stout. This bomber = no problem.

Hoppin' Frog certainly did a nice job with D.O.R.I.S. It's not as good B.O.R.I.S., but it is worthy of your attention. Ultimately, the body's too thin and it has just a tad too much of an alcohol flavor. It's still a nice stout, and is a nice addition to Hoppin' Frog's lineup. If only it were more available. (1,947 characters)

4.08/5  rDev -2.4%

Thanks to ridglens for this one!

This beer had a nice thick, and dark pour, with a creamy head to it. The head had a slightly orange tint to it.

The smell was great for an oatmeal stout. Had chocolate, cocoa, and great oatmeal smells with maybe a little coffee and smoky hidden in there too.

The taste was just as good, very oatmeal taste with a solid lingering aftertaste. Had flavors of coffee at the end too. A really good stout, I just wish I had picked up some of my own when I had the chance. (502 characters)

4.12/5  rDev -1.4%

Pours a nearly opaque black with dense but thin reddish brown head. Pungent from a foot away: dark roast, burnt notes, fig and plum, big earthy hops, a little smokiness ala smoked breakfast meats. Taste: syrupy dark chocolate, plum, a little anise, earthy and citric hopping. Sweet finish with almost syrupy feel but ultimately the hop bitterness and a little powdery roast cuts through as the lasting impression. Good but not better than BORIS as I remember it... definitely not worth the inflated price with this one. (519 characters)

4.08/5  rDev -2.4%

This is a pretty tasty brew here, and my first from Hoppin' Frog. I can't really compare this to BORIS, though I know that I inevitably will if I ever get around to trying BORIS. Pours a very dark black with a faint rim of translucent ruby highlights. Smallish tan head, recedes quickly. Pretty sweet on the nose, some chocolate, dark maltiness, toasted rye bread, but pretty subdued.

Taste is pretty good, not as sweet as some of the other big RIS's out there, big roasted malts, akin to burnt rye toast. A bit of hops at the back of the palate and on the finish, balancing out any overbearing sweetness. A pretty nice stout, not flashy, not difficult to drink. Feel is creamy, well-carbonated, but could use a bit more body to it. Almost no alcohol detected in it, an easy and interesting drink. (798 characters)

3.38/5  rDev -19.1%

A: The pour is nearly black with a dense tan head on it. Quite a nice looking beer.

S: The nose is full of char and burnt malts, coffee, and lots of roast. Not as much in terms of the chocolate notes that I tend to pick up with BORIS.

T: This is one roasty RIS. Lots of coffee, roasted malts, and a fair amount of char. Quite bitter for the style, but not necessarily in a hoppy way. More of in the burnt your chicken on the grill sort of way.

M: The body is quite substantial, which is no surprise. And the carbonation is minimal.

D: This was pretty disappointing, actually. I really enjoy BORIS so I was looking forward to trying this beer, but I have to say I was let down. (680 characters)

4.02/5  rDev -3.8%

Poured into a Lost Abbey tulip.

Pours pitch black, one of the blackest beers I've ever seen. Dark brown head that dies down quickly to hardly even a ring of head around the glass. No lacing left behind.

Smells of tootsie rolls, dark chocolate, a bit of dark fruit.

Tastes of dark chocolate, oats, tootsie roll, a bit of plumb and raisin. Some smokiness.

Thick and full bodied. Well carbonated with some smoothness and a nice bite.

The abv is well hidden, but I found regular BORIS much more enjoyable. (506 characters)

4.3/5  rDev +2.9%

Thanks goes out to GoGriz for this brew.

Poured into a chalice a nice black color, nice carbonation, nice little thick fizzy tan head, with some oil slicks left behind. The nose is malty, with lots of chocolate/toffee, slight hop note, roastyness. The taste is sweet, malty, with a ton of chocolate/toffee, a nice roast note, slight hops. Full/Medium body, the ABV is kinda upfront with this one. Very Drinkable, a very nice/tasty brew, highly recommended. (457 characters)

4.23/5  rDev +1.2%

Bottled in 2010

Purchased @ Julio's Liquors, Westborough, Mass.

Price - $13.99/bomber

Hoppin Frog does it again! Come on guy's brewed once :( Lets get this one on the regular menu. She's making a strong run at Breakfast Stout.

Appearance: Wow, this looks damn good. Deep brown head that disappears quick leaving just a ring around the glass. Pitch black brew, I mean black as night. Swirl it around the glass and it sticks like motor oil. My only complaint is I wish the deep brown head would stick around a little longer.

Smell: Boozy with deep roasted malt and coffee beans.

Taste: Black licorice, chocolate and espresso flavors. Not as sweet as B.O.R.I.S this one has hops and alcohol. Terrific balance.

Mouthfeel: Thick and heavy. Very little carbonation. Alcohol warmth Ends with a dry finish.

Drinkability: Yeah, I like it! Not too sweet and has a hop finish that sticks around the taste buds for awhile. I was fortunate enough to have picked up a few of these and will age one or two for a Fall campfire. (1,022 characters)

4.22/5  rDev +1%

Picked up a bottle in Hickory NC, hooray beer!

PourS ink black with a sliver of caramel flavored head. Great viscosity, some lacing, zero head retention

S: Vanilla & dark fruit, opens up more as this warms

T: Licorice, dark choclate, much dryness, dark fruit & sour mash, herbal hops, carob up front. Dark fruit & leafy hops as this warms, rich dark chocolate & booze. Dryness & oakyness, vanilla, a touch of caramel in the finish

MF: Chewy, low carbonation, richer with each sip & warming as well

Drinks great for the style & ABV, not as good as BA Boris, but nice. Having said that, at the price they were selling in NC $20 a bomber, I can do much better closer to home ( Oak aged Yeti, Schafly IMP Stout or BLVD ImpStout for instance ) & for cheaper (757 characters)

3.34/5  rDev -20.1%

I would like to start this review off noting last night I had The Abyss (a far superior beer). Further, I had the 2009 release that many are griping about. Beyond that, I would like to mention that this beer is above average. I think I am drinking it too early. There is some heat that I would like to mellow. I think with some age this beer will climb the ranks and will become very impressive. I would like to get anothe D.O.R.I.S. to age, but I really didn't expect the one I got.

I am happy. Today has been a great day and I wanted to finish the day with a great night cap. My score may reflect my overall disappointment, but I don't believe I was too harsh.

The appearance took me the most. When I first popped the cap, before the pour, I smelled the beer from the bottle. I didn't enjoy what I smelt. With optimism, I poured the beer and was awed. As the bubbles ascended to form a chocolate mousse crown mold, I was taken by the beauty this beer radiated while transforming to its climax. Then, as the crown receded, there was some lace left and dissipated to nothing but the thin, black oil in which it originated from.

The smell seems to be very one-sided. The smell is very strong, and I like that. However, there is not too much going on. Predominant in the nose is alcohol. After searching past the alcohol (and you have to search) there is coffee-burt coffee. After searching past the burt coffee, I detect maple syrup. Again, the syrup smells burnt. I can not dig another thing out of this beer except the breath of a coffee drinking drunk's breath after dining at the local waffle joint.

The taste is average, at best. I imagine frying a pancake in Godiva liqueur, burning it, pouring some molasses on top mixed with 151 and you have an edible D.O.R.I.S. I don't want to slam this beer-i am just being honest.

The mouthfeel has some carbonation and is smooth on the palate, at first. Right after the pleasure part of swallowing this beer, I am left with nothing but a thin coat to reminisce on what this beer could, and should have been.

The drink is decent considering the alcohol content. But it is the alcohol that destroys this beer, it is too strong to drink this soon. I wish I had held on to this beer and let it reach maturity. Right now it is a defiant toddler/preteen lost in its rebellion. (2,321 characters)

4.4/5  rDev +5.3%

A. Dark, swallowing all light. Head builds on pour to about 1/4", quickly dissipating to a fine skimming.
S. Dark dry chocolate aromas are quickly followed by rich roasted undertones of exquisite coffee. Alcohol present on the nose. (serving @ ~55 degrees)
T. Amazing, expected to be smacked with booze. alcohol only providing the necessary drying effects with such a malty sweet dessert. Rich, creamy also ice cream like. Definitely a superb example of a RIS. Liking this one a lot.
M. Not sure I would fix anything. Alcohol is well hidden. A really well made brew.
D. Not something i would crush, put a treasure to share! A new favorite! Highly Recommended (658 characters)

4.5/5  rDev +7.7%

Pours a oil black in color with a chocolate head, thumb sized. Falls to ring with some spotty lace.

Aroma is rich chocolate, roasted malts with fruit notes plums mainly. Citrus hop notes and hints of peat round it out.

Taste is rich thick roasted malts, chocolate moves to coffee mingled with peat, fruits and a good dose of hops. Flavor is rich dark and fruity from dark fruits and fruity citrus notes. Some warming alcohol notes are noted but blend well.

Mouthfeel is rich and full like the flavor, good level of carbonation.

Drinkability is very good rich and full of flavor. Probably a hair less drinkable then the regular BORIS but very nice brew. (656 characters)

4.28/5  rDev +2.4%

Poured this into a tulip. Pour looks great. Pours solid black with about half an inch of great looking mocha colored head. The head didn't last long but some really nice lacing on this. Big nose full of roasted malts, rich chocolate and bitter espresso. Good earthy smell but I get a bit more alcohol in the nose than I would like, it's not overly offensive, but it is absolutely there. Big earthy flavors followed by a nice finnish of bitter cocoa and espresso. I get a little alcohol flavor but not enough to really put me off. The mouthfeel is nice and silky. Thank you oatmeal! Good carbonation and the relatively light body makes this real easy to drink. Minimal heat from the high abv is also a huge bonus. (712 characters)

4.52/5  rDev +8.1%

Nothing like another huge stout from the folks at Hoppin' Frog. Doris pours dark as night, like years old motor oil and just as viscous. Garnet hues on the fringes. No real head but a lasting collar and some spots of lace on the goblet.

Aroma features ripe red plums, chocolate covered cherries, pine hops, oatmeal, and a vinous note underneath.

Full body has a silky oatmeal creaminess and a subdued carbonation.

Taste is decadent. Creamy oatmeal, citrusy and earthy hops, cherries, red plums, figs, bittersweet chocolate, and just a hint of roasted coffee. Slight alcohol warmth. Finishes with a bitter roastiness.

The frog brewers know how to put together a big stout. Excellent production! (697 characters)

4.25/5  rDev +1.7%

22 Oz. Bottle poured into a pint glass.

A:Black as the darkest night. Barely a spectrum of light penetrates this receptical. Cinnamon brown head pours a half digit thick and quickly fades into a micro bubble ring around the rim of the glass.

S:Sweetness of oats. Chocolate. Roasted coffee. Damp earth. Burnt husk. Soft sherry whaffer.

T:Strong earthy hops with a surprising bitterness dominate the front end of this brew and are immediatley followed by a rich chocolate and roasted coffee flavor. Soft caramel malt presence. Ghost smoke. The sweetness of sugared oats transition into a soft sherry like finish.

M:Thick and creamy. Sticky and slightly warm.

D:Incredibly drinkable for a RIS. Proper aging might make this elixir something special! (750 characters)

4.85/5  rDev +16%

After recently having had both B.O.R.I.S. and barrel-aged B.O.R.I.S., I was eager to try this one. Three great RIS in one week from Hoppin' Frog! Yeah!

This beer was incredibly dark brown, nearly opaque. I could see clarity when I poured, so I must not have stirred up the yeast sediment. It produced a one-finger head in my pint glass, medium brown in color and made of fine foam. After it subsided, a ring remained that left lacing in my glass.

Aroma was of full rich dark malts, chocolate, and dark fruits. Some hops came through in the middle, and the roasted notes drifted in at the very end.

Taste was in-freaking-CREDIBLE! Initially very hoppy and bitter, which surprised the hell out of me. How did they hop it so much it could overcome the darkness? Then came in the dark earthy malts and roasted barley flavors, and hints of milk chocolate. Aftertaste was of roasted malt overlaid with hops. Wow. This is like they tried to blend the characteristics of an IPA with a RIS, and the balance they achieved was perfect.

Mouthfeel was full, rich, chewy, and silky smooth. Somewhat oily after the swallow, it left a presence in my mouth that carried the flavor on and on.

Drinkability is EXCELLENT. This is going down well, and it is improving as it warms. It will not be difficult finishing this bottle, and I know that I am going to see if there is any left at Julio's. I want another in my cellarso I can see what happens in a year or two. (1,451 characters)

4.1/5  rDev -1.9%

Makes B.O.R.I.S. look like a pansy (no disrespect intended to B.O.R.I.S.)!
A= don't think it can get much darker that this
S= rich, roasty, earthy, some fruity notes
T= a whole lot going on here, robust, resiny, earthy, hints of smoke & slight fruity sweetness
M= thick, rich, silky, smooth, clings to the pallate
D= crushed a bomber & that was more than enough. Big & heavy but so very, very good! (398 characters)

3.92/5  rDev -6.2%

I think Socekim12 traded this to me at DLD...

A- Pours and inky, jet black with a thin layer of dark brown head. Head retention is near non-existent as is the lacing. I can't take much off the score for that though. I never really expect these higher ABV brews to have much retention or lacing.

S- Deep tones of dark fruits, chocolate, some char in there as well. Hops come into play as well. Pretty well balanced smell for an RIS.

T- Lots of chocolate and dark fruits up front. Has a touch of bitterness from the hops. Slightly smoky flavor to it also. Very complex but can become a bit cloying.

M- Super thick with very little carbonation. This was one of the most viscous brews I've ever poured into a glass.

D- The sweetness gets to me after a while. This is still a fine brew and well worth seeking out. (813 characters)

4.57/5  rDev +9.3%

Huge thanks to RocPorterFanatic for busting this out at Flossmoor Station's pre DLD party on 4/23/10. Review from notes.

A - Poured a very dark cocoa brown with deep cherry brown hues. Tan head with decent lacing that retained as a thin cap. 4.0

S - Hazelnut, blackberries, figs, and amaretto. Wow this is very different but very good. Light floral hoppiness too. 4.5

T - Deep, dark, roasty, hint of ash, dark fruits, figs, pepper, dude this is insane. Ends with a nice hop bite. What's nice is that the flavors are discernible and not muddled at all. 5.0

M - Thick and intense, nicely smooth carbonation. 4.5

D - Bit of heat in the finish but a very excellent beer indeed. 4.0 (682 characters)

4.52/5  rDev +8.1%

Received this brew from Gibby not so long ago and have been waiting to enjoy this one. I absolutely LOVE B.O.R.I.S and can't wait to try this. Drank from my Surly Darkness snifter.

Appearance- Pours a dark blackish brown with a nice half finger creamy dark brown head that settles quickly. Not much of a cap is left but a thin collar remains along with a bit of random spotty lacing.
Smell- Lots of raw grainy smells that I'm assuming is from the oatmeal. It's earthy and beautiful and smells like freshly milled two-row. Plenty roasted as well with a dark coffee nose and earthy cocoa. Maybe a bit of a citrus kick but I don't think the hops play a huge factor in the nose. It's malty and rich and roasted.
Taste- Whoa there are really hops in this beer! I get a big bitter hoppy kick right from the start that mixes with the alcohol for sort of a boozy fruitiness. Dark fruits galore with some prune and raisin characteristics. Once your mouth acclimates the oatmeal comes through with a sort of toasted grainy maltiness along with plenty of rich dark coffee. Of course some chocolate comes through but really is an afterthought. The finish is rich and dark and nice and warm.
Mouthfeel- Thick and rich with a velvety smooth feel and nice light carbonation that is remarkably assertive considering the feel.
Drinkability- REALLY dug the shit out of this one. It's so raw and grainy at times with a big oatmeal presence and a nice fruity American hop profile. As much as I love B.O.R.I.S I'd take this over it any day. It's just bigger and bolder and really really tasty. Thanks much Jeff!! (1,592 characters)

3.86/5  rDev -7.7%

A-pours a thick viscous jet black liquid with a dark tan colored head that is thick and creamy.

S-the nose has hints of tobacco, tons of anise, light burnt bitter coffee, notes of toffee and caramel. the back adds just a hint of malty sweetness in the form of dark fruits.

T-more of a roasted malt profile in the taste, tobacco in the front with anise behind. notes of cherries and plums in the back with a light herbal hop presence and slight bitterness.

M-syrupy medium body, smooth like velvet, creamy with low carbonation and a slick finish.

D-not heavey and able to be drinkin. has a decent balance between the roasted malts and the malty sweetness, not fantastic but pretty well done. (694 characters)

4.3/5  rDev +2.9%

22oz bottle -> 8oz sampler glas
no date

Pours black with a darker than dark dense head that settles to a solid film of dishwater suds. Not unexpectedly, no lace.

Nose: Cocoa initially, followed by some dark fruits, plum foremost

Slick oily mouthfeel followed by dry alocohol dryness. Sweet cocoa coffee with toasted burn flavors and alcohol warmness. No hiding the booze here, but who cares? It double Boris and its not shy about letting you know. Nice chocolate bitterness lingers and ask for another sip.

Boozy and in your face! This one would work good with a brownie and a sunrise! (592 characters)

D.O.R.I.S. The Destroyer Double Imperial Stout from Hoppin' Frog Brewery