Join our email list →

D.O.R.I.S. The Destroyer Double Imperial Stout - Hoppin' Frog Brewery

D.O.R.I.S. The Destroyer Double Imperial StoutD.O.R.I.S. The Destroyer Double Imperial Stout

Hoppin' Frog Brewery
Ohio, United States | website

Russian Imperial Stout | 10.50% ABV

Beer added by: MbpBugeye on 03-26-2010

Reviews: 429 | Hads: 1,238
4.18/5  rDev -0.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 3.5

A slow trickle of a pour yielded a black as night brew, with a bit 3 finger puffy, chocolate marshmallow looking head! Looked like a glass of chocolate syrup, with some chocolate mousse on top! MMM

Aroma was nice, with hints of coffee, cocoa nibs, and a slightly bittersweet nose. There was surprisingly no booze on the nose at all.

Got the booze on the taste though, but it was not overpowering, and a little expected. Chocolate, coffee, bittersweet coffee, roasted, toasted malts and some burnt sugar.

One of the thickest brews I've had! Chewy, coating, full bodied. Cant ask for much more!

Easy to drink 1, but this thing is so big, any more than that would be daunting.

Overall, EXCELLENT and I look forward to hunting this down again!

4.05/5  rDev -3.6%

22oz bottel poured into my lost abbey stemware glass

A: Black , very thick. Looks like motor oil, Very small head , about 1 finger and with an appropriate amount of Carbonation.
Little bit lacing

S:i can smell The hops right away, but you also get the chocolate and malt on the nose.and also à strong Coffee smell

T: Bitter chocolate, and a lot of hop bitterness only to be counter punched with sweet malt flavors. This thing is really big and bold. The first glass was very bitter but as it began to warm up it began to loose a bit of the bite and made it much more drinkable.

M: Syrupy, thick. Very smooth

D: This is a very smooth drinking beer with a very minimal alcohol presence. a real sipper.

4.56/5  rDev +8.6%

Blind Bomber #10.
Beer reviewed entirely blind: no knowledge of Brewery, beer, or even style.
Served in a snifter.

Wow. Now here is something other than IPA for sure-- a deeep viscous black motor oil poured from the bottle. The deep brown head bubbled and seethed up to a healthy-looking finger worth of thick rocky magma-like froth with bubbles popping and exploding almost audibly. Huge thick sheets of lace are so ubiquitous that it is almost tough to make out the rings that are left, although there is barely a gap between that you can see-- that gap is like the micro-printing on US currency. (Second pour from the bomber yielded 3 fingers of head that cascaded and bubbled with such elegance that we are knocking appearance up a point to a full on 5).

Woah. The mouthfeel is outrageous in its creamy fullness. This monster is thick and hearty. I am already suspecting this is something special-- like an Imperial Stout brewed with something... Doesn't seem to be barrel-aged or anything...so it's tough to tell. But wow. This may very well be the thickest and creamiest beer I've ever come across. A smooth velvety feel reminds me a bit of an Oatmeal Stout-- but this is way too big to be an Oatmeal stout.

The flavor is about as stout-like as you can get, but never gets repetitive. The flavor starts with roasted dry barley, graham cracker, and some sweet malt too. The malts are ALMOST adding an element of smokiness, but not quite there. Bitter cocoa comes across towards the back end with a hint of alcohol on the finish. I mean just a hint. I imagine this beer is over the 10% mark, possibly closer to 13%. Big roasty flavor helps the finish stay dry. The nose adds some dark fruits too-- but hey don't come across in the taste too much.

Wow. I'm nearly done with this bottle. I am rocking this thing solo and I literally had to stop to check my email so that I would slow down drinking it. Whatever this is, it is damn good. I'll certainly be adding it to my wants!

A-5
S-4
T-4.5
M-5
D-5

Ripping open envelope-- Hoppin' Frog's D.O.R.I.S the Destroyer. It is an Oatmeal RIS! Wow... Really very good. We get HF here, but the price tag makes me hesitant to buy it for myself! This is one that I won't mind grabbing to share with some one! Thanks for throwing this one in here Mike! I might not have ever picked it up otherwise!

4.4/5  rDev +4.8%

Thanks to miketd for shipping me a bottle of this evidently one-off brew...no idea this was a one-and-done. Whoa, I smell rarity, whoo-hoo! Graded up a notch already.

Tick, tick...pours like a good RIS should, black, slight, simmering head. Smell is heady, intoxicating malts and hints of coffee.

D.O.R.I.S. elevates Hoppin' Frog's game. This is one dark, rich Russian Imperial Stout. The silhouette of the malts is Heidi Klum in a wife-beater, just gorgeous. Lava-thick malts roll down the slopes of my palate & drench everything in dark, sweet, roasted, chocolatey blasts. Just enough of a hop spin on the end to keep it from flipping into the abyss. Full & luxurious as a five-star hotel, just as an RIS ought to be.

Kingmaker. Excellent beer. I've been let down by a few RIS brews lately, even aged ones, but this is a standard-bearer. I vote for another round of D.O.R.I.S. brewing. Quickly.

3.73/5  rDev -11.2%

Poured from a bottle into a 22oz snifter.

A very dark brown, almost black brew with a quarter inch of large bubble tan head which quickly dissolves. Not much lacing present. Smells of toffee, oats and coffee. Has a dark chocolate and toffee taste at the start. But tastes more like a black coffee later. Alcohol is definitely present and it takes just a tad away from a better mouthfeel. For a stout, this beer is a little bit hoppy for what I like in a stout, which makes gives it more of a bitter taste than expected.

3.96/5  rDev -5.7%

a- Pours a pitch black with a minimal amount of head. With a very aggressive pour there was still very little head.
s- There is a strong roasted oats smell. Along with a very sweet malty aroma.
t- This is a very rich beer. A very heavy sweet taste with a hint of coffee towards the end of the drink. I had a drink of this a couple of months ago and it has aged extremely well.
m/d- Extremely full bodied. it is a very sweet enjoyable drink that sticks around in the mouth well after the drink. There is a very strong coffee taste for an imperial stout. I expected a little more sweeter beer, but roasted malt is on the menu for this one. A nice beer to cap off the night.

4.3/5  rDev +2.4%

A - Pours like motor oil, the most aggressive pour possible only gave a single finger of tan head which left a ton of lacing.

S - Coffee and malt aromas fill the nose, tons of both of those aromas.

T - Taste is excellent, tons of rich coffee and malt flavors fill the aroma, this is the definition of a malt bomb and has aged beautifully since being brewed.

M/D - Mouthfeel is rich, thick and smooth as butter. Even though this is a very heavy beer, it is so smooth it is no problem to get down. A textbook RIS.

4.23/5  rDev +0.7%

Poured from 22oz bottle. Review from notes...

A- Pours a pitch black motor oil black color. Two finger tna head shows great retention but falls to a cap on the beer. Chunky spotted lacing on the sides of the glass.

S- Nice roasted malts from the get go. Coffee and chocolate unite with a hint of soy sauce to it. Alcohol tingles the nose throughout. Burnt biscuit malts to this as well. Big aroma for a big beer I suppose.

T- Taste is pretty much the same as the nose. There is more dark fruit poking around in the taste though as I didn't pick it up in the aroma. Some brown sugar hints to a light sweetness from time to time as well.

M- Medium heavy mouthfeel. Carbonation was a little on the lower side. Silky smooth mouthfeel. Lots of roast left on the palate with warming alcohol on the aftertaste. Flavors were all arcoss the board and blended together very well. Medium drying on the palate from the alcohol.

D- This was a very drinkable beer. I sipped on it a lot and it lasted me about an hour and half. I've been very happy with what I've had from this company. Seek out this gem and like their other bottles this is a diamond in the rough.

4.43/5  rDev +5.5%

22 oz bottle, graciously received from my mystery DLD homeboy who I'm always drunk when I meet and share beers with.

Pours a super opaque black, no light gets through, huge and thick brown head forms and settles down to a thin ring around the glass, lots of chunky lace spots stick on the way down, solid retention.

Smell is great, very rich and intense, a touch of soy sauce, big alcohol, chocolate, toffee, lots of roast, big biscuit maltiness, brown sugar, molasses, some licorice, a bit of burnt wood, very nice.

Taste is great too, nice biscuity malt up front, toffee, chocolate, licorice, very hoppy, some floral and grapefruit, brown sugar, molasses, dark fruit, alcohol, lightly woody, very intense roasty bitterness.

Mouthfeel is medium bodied with low to medium carbonation, silky smooth and drinkable. A great RIS, one of the better I've had recently! Thanks whoever you are, I owe you next DLD.

4.35/5  rDev +3.6%

Got this one in trades with thetomG and jojomdma. Thanks gents!

From a bottle into a snifter

Note: Drunk the day after BORIS. Label suggests it's a bigger version of BORIS.

APPEARANCE: Pours black and relatively thick and vicious looking. Pour yields a cascading 1 finger, thicker looking dark mocha head that eventually fades to a splotchy wisp and ring. Jet black body and zero carbonation evident. A ring and splotchy wisp remains until the end leaving some dots of lacing that slowly slide down the glass after each sip. Basically the same as BORIS, but the head is a little thicker and more persistent.

SMELL: Roasted malts, smoke, dark baker's chocolate, and the oats are very apparent. Slight hints of caramel, tobacco, and coffee notes. A complex nose, but needs to be just a little bolder to really give it that edge. Same as BORIS.

TASTE: Same as BORIS, but a bit more booze on the swallow and a bolder and longer lasting aftertaste. Roasted and smoky malts, dark baker's chocolate and a good dose of oats again. Dark pure chocolate with a nice balance of bitter coffee, sweet caramel and booze on the finish. Oats are in there as well. The aftertaste is bold and very persistent. A little bigger and than BORIS, especially after the swallow. Really good stuff.

PALATE: Medium-full body, slightly lower end carbonation, and very creamy smooth on the palate, even slightly oily. Goes down smooth, very soft and easy, not bite at all, and finishes slightly mouth-coating. Very similar to BORIS, but even slightly more creamier and oily on the palate. Very nice indeed.

OVERALL: Shit is good. A slightly bigger and bolder version of BORIS is what they were after, and a slightly bigger and bolder version is what they've achieved. They say this right on the bottle, and they didn't lie. Lots of great bold flavors, and a bigger palate to support them. This is one worth seeking out for sure. Unfortunately it's relatively tough to come by. Thanks for hooking me up with bottles of this Tom and Joe.

4.03/5  rDev -4%

Doris the Destroyer comes out black as black can get color wise. The heading is not substantial, about a half a finger. The look is very creamy, and again, very black. From the nose I get dark chocolate, molasses, a hint of dark fruit, and some tobacco. The taste is along the same lines as the aroma, with some smoke. The chocolate gets more bitter here as well. The mouthfeel is big and chewy. This is one big ass Imperial Stout, though still manageable as far as the tastes and smells, nothing too extreme. Weighing in at 10.5% ABV, this is one to sip and savor. This might not be as good as Boris, but it is not far off. Putting the two side by side would be very interesting. Cheers

4.28/5  rDev +1.9%

A: Motor oil with a thin dark brown head and lots of stickyness.

S: choc, coffee, caramel, wood, roasted malts, and a boozy burn.

T: I first get a smokyness paired with choc,coffee, and caramel. Hints of vanilla, wood, and raisons on the end. Very nice.

M: great full body chewy Russian Imperial Stout.

D: Well not bad at all for what it is. Im really enjoying it. Great beer for a cold night. BUT I live in FL so w/e, Im drinking it anyways.

4.2/5  rDev 0%

I was just recently lamenting that I missed this even though I was likely on shelves at nearby stores earlier this year. Last weekend a buddy and I visited the brewery, and lo and behold they had about 8 bottles of D.O.R.I.S. for sale!

No freshness date, but I am assuming these are left over from their release earlier this year.

Pours THICK black, motor oil - used, and reused. Had to pour from about 6 to 8 inches up to get a small frothy head the color of black coffee with half a creamer in it. The head recedes. Awesome thick juicy legs with minimal lacing.

Smells great - dark fruits come forth first, then sweet fruit (hops), and followed by sweet chocolate and black malts. The malt is very subtle in the nose for how thick and heavy this beer is.

The taste is surprisingly mellow for the namesake and high abv. Still very hoppy - prickly on the tongue and bitter on the front of the palate. It gets sweet and fruity - unripe/bitter cherries and mild figs. The back of the palate gets another wave of hops as you swallow, and then finally, on the finish, all the malts come through. Coating the mouth, they are of bitter chocolate and blackened toast - bready and roasty. Coffee rounds it out.

Mouthfeel is extremely full bodied despite very little carbonation. Swish it around a little to expose the hop bitterness and you can chew each mouthful several times before wanting to swallow. Wonderful...

Drinkability suffers because I know this will be "too hoppy" or "too strong" etc for most people, but I find it on par with any other higher abv stout. I'll happily drink this bomber alone and wish I had bought a second one the whole time...

**Edit**
The day after drinking this I literally did feel destroyed. The beer definitely gained leverage over me quickly after my first glass.

4.35/5  rDev +3.6%

Me: I like Boris. I like Hoppin Frog and enjoy most of their lineup.
My buddy: I went to Ohio this weekend and picked up a bottle of Doris because I like the bottle.
Me: You know we don't get that in Indiana right?
My buddy: Nope, I just like the label. Do you want to try it?
Me: I ought to unfriend you, but after I drink the Doris.

A: Super dark with a tan head that left no lacing
S: Chocolate, coffee, earthiness from the hops
T: This is where it shines for me. I am a malt head and the rich roasted grain, leather, figs, and just a slight hint of vanilla all combine for a wonderful flavor profile.
M: Thick and luxurious like a RIS ought to be.
D: I don't care about the ABV, not that it is 88 degrees outside. I could drink this often.

Fred, when is this coming to Indiana?

4.02/5  rDev -4.3%

Pours one shade shy of black with zero head. Nose is extremely malty at first impression, revealing molasses and licorice once the initial malt blast subsides. Taste consistent with nose; however much sweeter than suggested. One thing of note was that a slightly metallic character appeared at the finish; however, it disappeared after the brew warmed a little. Mouthfeel was medium-bodied, silky smooth and had only the lightest touch of carbonation. A really great RIS. Maybe not quite as good as BA or regular B.O.R.I.S, but well worth a try. Might be interesting to see how the three differ side-by-side.

4.17/5  rDev -0.7%

Well, this is crazy. I was reviewing another Hoppin Frog beer, and a thought popped into my head: "Hey you crazy ticker, how many Hoppin Frog beers have you ticked?" So I went to the brewery's main Ratebeer page and took a gander. That's when I saw it: DORIS with no tick mark next to it. I almost had a seizure, as the narrator's voice from "Beertickers" echoed in my head: "First you drink it, then you tick it...then you tick it...tick it...tick it..." The horrors! I had tried DORIS not once, not twice, but THREE TIMES, yet there was nary a tick mark to show this. Once was at DLD when I was plastered out of my mind, once was thanks to Kevin, and the other time, I have no clue who brought the bottle - Bozo the Clown for all I know. Sometimes I get "tunnel vision" when I'm ticking and can't see anything but the beer and the glory. I believe it was Shakespeare who once said, "Alas, there is nothing so tragic in this world as an lost tick." I agree with this. Fortunately this tick hadn't been lost forever. I had review notes e-mailed to myself from awhile back.

This beer is black, believe it or not. A thick brown head adorns the glass, and lacing remains when the beer is imbibed. This looks like a big one, with legs like a thunder-thighed beast-woman.

A roasty and chocolatey aroma wafts from the glass. Smells as rich as Richie Rich (my similes are very creative, I know). This is a roasty beast, it is. Some charcoal and bitter coffee come through as well.

The flavor has a little more caramel malty sweetness than I expected, but not nearly too much sweetness to throw it off balance. The roasty char lends a great dryness to complement the sweetness, some dark fruits and chocolate are in there, and there are hops.

Thick and slick on the palate. Medium-low carbonation, as this style should have. Very satisfying.

Double Imperial Stout, huh? I don't quite buy that at only 10.5%, but it is a great brew. Comes in a level below the elite imperial stouts in my book. Being that this is my favorite style and this one probably scores better than 90% of other beers in the style, I hope to revisit this a fourth time, fifth time, and so on.

4.22/5  rDev +0.5%

finally got around for drinking this one, i decided to crack it open before soccer practice tonight, not mine ;0) consumed on 08/17/2010.

dark as night inky black pour with a nice little tan head of about two inches that fades down into a nice layer of about an inch or so that hangs around for the remainder of the session.

nice aroma, rich cooca and coffee dominate with a nice touch of bitter and roasted malts that take over the profile very nicely. smooth, effortless flavor then wraps itself over the palate. light hints of vanilla mix in with the dark chocolate and rich roasted malts. small touch of alcohol but this fades quickly as it warms and leaves you with a nice touch of sweet vanilla and brown sugar that really compliments the cocoa and lightly hopped finish quite nicely.

overall a really nicely done ris. could have had a little bit more on the feel and a little creamier of a feel, but the flavor was there for sure. i liked boris better, but thats me.

4.2/5  rDev 0%

Hoppin Frog fairly recently started distributing into Virginia, but Doris has not yet been seen on shelves so I took advantage of picking up a bottle in Philly.

A: Pours the standard jet-black with a head that needs a little coaxing to form. I poured quite assertively, but it rewarded me with only about a half finger of head - quite a rich brown. At least the retention was decent.

S: A semi-sweet chocolate aroma dominates the nose... some roasted malts are in there as well, but it's pretty one-sided, though that's not particularly a bad thing for this style or specific beer. Some hints of coffee can be detected with a few sniffs, but otherwise, it's all chocolate.

T: Like the aroma, chocolate is quite strong... in fact, I find similarities to Southern Tier Choklat even though (I don't think?) there is no chocolate brewed into this. Maybe not as intense as ST, but certainly there. As it warms and opens up, some hop notes also show up towards the finish of each sip. This is a very welcome addition, as they are not all that strong, but do provide some balance in a clean, leafy bitterness.

M + D: Big and heavy mouthfeel... carbonation is pretty minimal which suits it, even though I could maybe go for a little more. It doesn't seem to become sticky and heavy as it goes down, which is definitely a plus. Some can be akin to devouring an entire pan of brownies and suffering the stomach ache later. Alcohol warmth is certainly noted, though flavor is really not. A nice evening sipper, and a decent beer to finish the night with or follow up dinner with as a dessert.

4.5/5  rDev +7.1%

Viggo shared this one. thanks eric!

22oz bottle. sampled aug 10/2010.

pours opaque and inky black with a fine dark brown head. the head drops fairly fast and leaves a bit of very fine lace.

aroma is great. dark and milk chocolate. coffee and espresso. caramel and toffee. light alcohol. bit of pine and grapefruit. anise. biscuit and whole wheat bread. bit of roast.

taste is great. bit of alcohol. espresso. bittersweet and dark chocolate. bit of milk chocolate and coffee. dark toasted multi-grain bread and biscuit. caramel and a bit of toffee. pine and grapefruit. bit of other light citrus.

mouthfeel is great. medium-large body but not overly chewy or filling. medium carbonation level.

drinkability is great. excellent balance. great depth and complexity. nice hoppy dimension. good stuff!

4.35/5  rDev +3.6%

650ml bomber pulled out by viggo I believe - thanks man!

Pours a thick black brew with a finger of fudge cake on top. Superb.

Citrus hops make a bold statement in the nose along with a rich chocolate milk and fudge, a touch of roast. Bold and rich.

This beer is out to destroy - massive malt attack upon entry - loads of roastiness, espresso, fudge, baker's chocolate, some bold citrus hopping, biscuit, oats, licorice. Nice rich chocolate sweetness with a balancing dry finish which borders on astringent at times. Thick, chewy mouthfeel.

This is a massive rich brew that is well crafted, though it still feels a touch young. Still, this has to be one of the better Imperial Stouts out there, definitely in the American vein with all those hops. Love it.

4.42/5  rDev +5.2%

A: Poured from a bottle to a pint glass. Had a black color and a completely thick consistency. There was a thin, tan-colored, foamy head that quickly dissipated. Good lacing.

S: A nice, big aroma of chocolate, malt, and coffee - typical RIS.

T: Tasted of roasted malt and chocolate up front, with coffee, licorice and some dark fruit in the finish. Complex and tasty. Surprisingly, the alcohol content is never that much of an issue.

M: A good amount of carbonation with a slick finish. Full-bodied. Thick and chewy.

D: A well made, drinkable beer.

3.35/5  rDev -20.2%

A- An opaque black with a small dark brown head that becomes patchy with a ring around the glass.

S- Dark roasted malt accompanied by dark chocolate and hints of coffee. Slight bitterness chocolate notes pick up towards the middle of the beer and accompanies the smell towards the end as the roasted smell finishes out the beer.

T- The taste starts out much like the nose, a smooth chocolate complexion brings your taste buds to attention as the roasted malt and coffee taste develop towards the middle of the beer. A hot alcohol taste pushes aside much of the chocolate and roasted malt as a bitterness is the only other taste that continues into the aftertaste. Has a lot of potential, but this one still seems hot and should sit for a while. I'll probably pick another one up and put it away for awhile.

M- A great think and chewy mouthfeel, very smooth and refreshing and is definitely the highlight of the beer.

D- The hot alcohol taste makes this one a little difficult to put down. Something I hope would improve with some time as well.

4.05/5  rDev -3.6%

22oz bomber courtesy of alexsdad06 poured into a snifter.

Pours like motor oil out of the bottle with a small mocha head that leaves a thin collar and some drippy lacing.

The aroma is massively roasty with lots of black malts, cocoa powder, bakers chocolate and espresso. There is a hop presence but not enough to take away from the deeply roasted malt dominance.

More dark chocolate and charred black malts in the taste. The hops are a little more present and there is a bitterness in the finish that is half citrus hops and half bitter chocolate. There are some dark sweet fruits and licorice hiding behind the malts as well.

The mouthfeel is medium bodied and ultra smooth with the oatmeal adding to of the body. Dessert-like.

This beer is not fooling around - massively roasted with lots of malts, hops and sugary sweetness in the background. Definitely a sipper and probably not quite as good as BORIS for me.

3.01/5  rDev -28.3%

Couch surfin' with the irrepressible milwaukeeclassic

22 oz bottle decanted into two eager snifters. Deep dark chocolate colored pour with a mocha colored head that dissipates towards the edges.

Holy SWEET Jesus...Boozy, bit of dark chocolate, leafy hops, and did I mention the booziness? Nostrilical follicles are sufficiently fried.

Very hoppy, quite bitter and dry with some coffee mate, chocolate, and plastic. There is a strange chemical quality here that keeps this from being particularly enjoyable. I had higher hopes for this. I can sense the headache coming as this beer becomes a chore to finish.

4.1/5  rDev -2.4%

D.O.R.I.S. pours an onyx, pitch black color. Not an ounce of light penetrates through. Very impressive. It's topped with a very dark, mocha colored head that rises to just about two fingers. It's surprisingly slow to recede, and leaves a moderate amount of chocolate colored lace clinging to the glass. It's quite the looker, if I may say so.

The nose is quite good. Malts are in no short supply. A healthy dose of chocolate and roasted malts are noted. The chocolate variety smells mostly bittersweet and cocoa-ish. Roasted coffee is noted, but is more of secondary feature. Hops are also noted. I suspect they've trailed off to some degree since this bottle is 5 months old, but they're still present. Subtle notes of anise and molasses add nice depth. A nice whiff of alcohol finishes it off.

The flavor is pretty impressive. My first impression is that it's not quite as good as B.O.R.I.S., but it's not far off. A nice, bittersweet dark chocolate fudge flavor kicks it off. It is nice and roasty, and has a certain degree of a charred flavor. I like that. Dark espresso comes to mind. Hops are definitely in the mix. They're quite strong, and were presumably stronger a few months ago. I like hoppy stouts, and this one is certainly appealing. It is quite bitter, and dries out on the tail. Alcohol is perhaps a little too strong in the mix, and is a tad warming.

D.O.R.I.S. has a body that's on the lighter side of medium. Frankly, it's far too thin and is crying out for more body. Carbonation is light, and it is smooth. But, it needs more girth. Drinkability is good for such a big, hoppy stout. This bomber = no problem.

Hoppin' Frog certainly did a nice job with D.O.R.I.S. It's not as good B.O.R.I.S., but it is worthy of your attention. Ultimately, the body's too thin and it has just a tad too much of an alcohol flavor. It's still a nice stout, and is a nice addition to Hoppin' Frog's lineup. If only it were more available.

D.O.R.I.S. The Destroyer Double Imperial Stout from Hoppin' Frog Brewery