D.O.R.I.S. The Destroyer Double Imperial Stout - Hoppin' Frog Brewery

D.O.R.I.S. The Destroyer Double Imperial StoutD.O.R.I.S. The Destroyer Double Imperial Stout

Hoppin' Frog Brewery visit their website
Ohio, United States

Russian Imperial Stout |  10.50% ABV

Beer added by: MbpBugeye on 03-26-2010

4.47/5  rDev +6.2%

2011 bottle poured into a regular pint glass on 10/08/2011.

A: Pours like 5W-20 but has a darker color. Thin head that disappears quickly.

S: Dark chocolate, roasted nuts, booze, slightly woody smell.

T: Strong chocolate flavor, dry roasted nuts which finishes dry.

M: Thick, thick, thick...did I mention it's thick? Low carbonation. This beer sticks to my tongue more than almost any other stout.

This is a great beer. I'm glad I have a few more bottles of this amazingness to have for years to come.

3.85/5  rDev -8.6%

A - Less than a finger's worth slightly fizzy intense dark brown colored head... Almost zero retention leaves in the slightest of splotch lacing and an ultra thin collar... A completely opaque obsidian black... Very still... Thick, viscous and a bit sludgy... A bit menacing all the way around...

S - Milk chocolate... Brownie mix... A touch of roasted malts... A hint of coffee... Just a faint whiff of booze... Wonderful balance...

T - Roasted malts... A bit of coffee... Very subtle sweetness... Light licorice... A bit boozy on the finish... Not as much complexity as I typically expect for the style...

M - On the lighter side of full bodied... Just the slightest bit of carbonation... Thick... Heavy... Viscous... Sludgy... An exceedingly dry finish...

D - Seems to me like a little something is missing from this one that holds it back from being truly great... Standard appearance and good flavor, but the nose is a bit underwhelming and the mouthfeel is a bit off... Not a bad stout by any means, but there are many better RIS to seek out...

3.56/5  rDev -15.4%

Pours a opaque black body with a thin, tannish brown head that thinly laces the glass. Looks just about like what I would imagine a double imperial stout would.

Very sweet and boozy smell. Hints of dark chocolate and coffee. A little bit piney and earthy as well.

Taste was a bit underwhelming at first, couldnt get past the chocolate and booze taste. After it warmed up a bit I could trace some hints of coffee, maybe espresso, roasted malts and a hoppy bitterness in the finish. Hops play a role in the bitter bite it leaves more so than the earthy taste that im getting from the taste. Pretty smooth but sure fills you up.

Mouthfeel is very creamy, not as chewy as I had imagined it would be just by the look of it.

Overall its a good RIS. Didnt wow me but its a lot better than some other stouts out there.

3.55/5  rDev -15.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

22oz bottle poured into a tulip

Pours a thick ink black with a tight, bubbly mocha cap. Little to no lacing or retention. Just a thin collar.

The nose is of rich roast dark chocolate malt, ethanol, pine needles, coffee grounds and a touch of vanilla. Nothing really grabs me and invites me to the party.

The flavor profile matches the nose. Coffee grounds, rich dark chocolate, ethanol, rolled oats, dark cherries, piney hops, and a touch of vanilla in the ethanol filled finish. There's nothing here that wows me, but it's definitely above average.

Full, rich body, smooth with a ton of heat.

I wasnt really blown away by this guy. I liked its little brother BORIS better. The flavors and aromas just came up imbalanced to me.

4.3/5  rDev +2.1%

Thank you to misterhops for this.
Pours black as night. Small brown head. Nose is amazing. I can smell it from a couple feet away from the glass. Loads of chocolate and malt. Smells huge. Taste is very dark chocolate forward, followed by malts, nothing very extraordinary here, but very nicely flavored. Mouthfeel, believe it or not, I feel is too light. I thought this would be heavier, and thicker. It is easy to drink, and creamy. I wonder what it would be if Ohio didn't have that stupid ABV law. Not a trace of alcohol in this at all until I stand up. Overall, this is very very good. The flavor lingers in my mouth for a long long time. My tongue feels coated with the beer. I've wanted a bottle of this for a long time, and it did not disappoint.

4.35/5  rDev +3.3%

22oz bottle into Portsmouth snifter. Received in a trade over a year ago.

A: Pours a thick pitch black with a finger of very dark coffee brown head that slowly faded into a fuzzy film.
S: I get deep notes of rich fudge brownies along with some roasted notes of dark malt. There is just maybe a hint of burnt toast as well.
T: Rich and creamy flavors of dark chocolate, fudge, and brownies with a bit of roast coming through in the finish. The aftertaste is again, very chocolaty, and there is maybe just a touch of smoke. I don’t get any coffee in this beer, but there might be a hint of dark fruit.
M: Thick bodied but not as thick as possible. The mouthfeel is rich and smooth though, and the carbonation is mellow and non-intrusive. There is zero trace of alcohol or alcohol burn. Lovely.
O: A wonderfully rich and chocolaty beer. I really enjoyed my bottle of this one and wouldn’t mind having another for the cellar.

4.08/5  rDev -3.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

22oz bomber procured from the Akron, Ohio brewery two weeks ago.
Black, the color of too long for the crank case oil, poured into snifter. Thin, dark brown ring of foam. Rare lacing.
Big wiff of alcohol, faint chocolate, roasted malt, maybe a hop.
Now this is where this big brew shines. Complex, full body, creamy, mostly chocolate, mild bitter hops well balanced by roasted malt. Mild coffee accent. Alcohol mixes well and does not blow me away, which is nice.
This is a fine imperial stout.

4.21/5  rDev 0%

A: Dark motor-oil black body with a dense brown head that leaves light lacing on the edge of the glass.

S: Not as rich as I was hoping, but a great aroma of bitter roasted chocolate malts, booze, earthy hops, and a hint of coffee and vanilla.

T: A thick and heavy bitter coffee and chocolate flavor. Booze does slightly become overpowering in the beginning, but the earthy hops balances it out. There's a slight caramel sweetness to it along with notes of vanilla. There is also a creaminess to it as well.

M: Full body; low carbonation; thick, heavy, yet creamy mouthfeel.

O: Love this beer. Although it's not the most amazing RIS I've ever had, it's definitely worth getting and it's extrememly easy to drink. If you see it, get it.

4.25/5  rDev +1%

Thanks to someone for sharing this at the May Freetail bottle release.

The beer pours a thick, motor oil looking black color with a small tan head. The aroma is full of roasted malt and chocolate, with a little bit of oats and alcohol mixed in. A very inviting aroma.

The flavor is similar. I get a lot of bitter roasted malt, as well as some bitter chocolate. There is also some intense coffee in the flavor which goes well with the other things that are going on. There is a creamy, oat quality to the flavor and mouthfeel that I also like.

Thick mouthfeel and low carbonation. A very nice beer.

3.93/5  rDev -6.7%

22 ounce bottle - $13.99 at Hop City in Atlanta, Georgia.

Appearance: Pours a viscous-looking, black body with a churning, equally viscous-looking, deep brown head. Take me away from all this, Hoppin' Frog. Take me away to Expensive Bomber Country.

Smell: Heavily roasty scent, quite heady, with rather robust notes of tar, char, and chocolate-flavored creosote stirred up with dark coffee.

Taste: Fully roasted maltiness that settles on the tongue, then pushes the roastiness up another notch heading towards an oat-and-malt-based tar for road repair. Italian roast coffee concentrate dosed with some black strap molasses. Near 100% cocoa bar. Some scorched dark fruit skins. As it warms, some citrus begins to leak out. Roasty, earthen quality with plenty of imparted bitterness. Some heat, some roasted malt astringency in the finish.

Mouthfeel: Near-full body. Medium carbonation. Plush, creamy body.

Overall: A bit roastier, a bit more bitter, a bit heavier, and a bit more alcohol. I'm sure it cost a bit more, too. Which, at first, sounded like a good idea, but, deep down, I think I would've been happier with just the BORIS. Maybe I'm just getting old.

4.03/5  rDev -4.3%

Poured from a 650ml bomber into a pint glass. Thick pour. No dating info. Color was pretty much pitch black. it had an average sized dark brown head that quickly settled into a good collar. Not much lacing and none sticking but that's not surprising considering the ABV on it. Overall a good appearance for a RIS.

The aroma was booze heavy so this one must have been pretty fresh when I got it as it's sat for a bit but is still hot. Past the alcohol is some hops, dark roast malt, coffee, vanilla and chocolate. Good but would be great if the alcohol was tamed a bit. The taste follows the aroma. Starts off with some booze and then the roast malt and coffee kick-in with the vanilla starting at the end. Good taste but the alcohol drowns it out a bit. Mouthfeel is full and creamy.

Overall, a good RIS but I prefer B.O.R.I.S. (top 3 RIS for me). Maybe I'd have a different opinion with some age on it. It sucks that they don't date their bottles. I rolled the dice that it already had some age on it but it didn't. Not available here in TX - got from Ummagum in a shipment. Rotation - would like to try an known aged one. [O;O]

4.2/5  rDev -0.2%

Bomber poured into pint glasses

This pours deep black and the viscosity of this is seen during the pour. A quick dissolving tan head leaves quickly. Smells is bursting of alcohol, chocolate, coffee and roasted malts. Some sweetness as well. This has a huge flavor profile. Lots of malts as well as chocolate and coffee. The taste leaves a coating on the palate. Mouthfeel is full bodied and thick. Overall this is a really complex and good tasting. The thickness is almost too much but very glad I picked this one up. It will age forever.

4.85/5  rDev +15.2%

Pours a deep, dark, motor oil black with a medium head that fades slowly. The head is dark mocha colored and very creamy. Leaves huge walls of thick lacing.

The aroma is complex with dominant espresso, mellow woody notes, pipe tobacco smoke, hints of vanilla and cinnamon, leather, and dark chocolate. Earthy elements and dark fruit with a nice finish of licorice.

The complexity follows the nose in the taste arena. Roasted malts, full, rich dark chocolate, creamy robust mocha, leather, oak, vanilla, plums and raisins. Licorice througout with hazelnut, and woody notes. Complex and multi-layered.

Super rich, creamy, thick and chewy.

Awesome, rich sipper.

22 oz. Bomber:

A: Black as night, light mocha/brown head. Not too carbonated, but that is typical for the style. Light lacing. Looks good for the style.

S: Licorice on the nose; light chocolate/vanilla notes. Really typical of the style. This almost smells like Raskolnikov or Transylvania to me... it's slightly creamy yet fairly intense and full. Also a little bit of coffee in the scent.

T: Taste is nice for the style. Heavy licorice and dark chocolate with light coffee flavors; similar to the smell but stronger. Nice beer, but not exceptional.

O: Solid, but not spectacular

3.9/5  rDev -7.4%

A - Standard black, very dark mocha head leaves to ring.

S - Deep malt and chocolate.

T - Same as smell. Like Willy Wonka drink. So much chocolate. Im Augustus Gloop :)

M - Carb a little low, a little on the sweet side.

D - A fine offering from this brewery.

4.48/5  rDev +6.4%

Serving type: Bomber poured into a Guinness pint glass

D.O.R.I.S. the Destroyer infuckingdeed! What a GREAT stout! Found this at the Devon Whole Foods, and wiped 'em out of all they had. Boy am I glad I did. This is an instant favorite. Poured aggressively at room temperature into my trusty Guinness pint glass. This could easily be shared by many, but fuck everyone else, this one's mine. This pouted blackhole black. This fucker was perfectly opaque. The head was the darkest I've ever seen. I got a good 4" of head at the top of the pint glass so I could get the best aromatics possible. This screams dessert beer. However, I've put down dessert long before dinner was done on many occasions. This will only ensure that trend continues. This is smooth as silk. The mouthfeel is a bit thin for a stout, but I like that, especially since this one has a decent alcohol presence. I could sip or pound this. Very versatile. Strangely, I have a bottle of B.O.R.I.S, but I went this route first. I'm waiting for my Barrel Aged B.O.R.I.S. to arrive so I can line all three up for a comparison. This is a must have for any stout fanatic. I found these for about $9 a bottle. I've heard talk about this being high priced, and I might be in the minority, but I disagree. I find a lot of value in this one. Cheers, mofo's.

4.66/5  rDev +10.7%

DORIS came out the bottle looking so black so as to be alien - even crude oil isn't this thick or inky. The beer is so dark that even its head is the colour of coffee! And what an impressively built specimen that is, not only for its deep brown tone but more so even its size - it inflates like a blow-up mattress and could probably comfortably sleep two.

Smelling this thing is a snapshot of a Saturday morning in Havana - strong cigars and even stronger coffee fill the air with a smooth, mellow, earthy perfume and a cedar-like spice. Smoky barbecue is not far behind. It would be Castro's favourite beer. Time slows down in the midst of this essence; a slow, appreciative pace comes requisite with these flavours.

It's been too long since I last had BORIS to make much of a meaningful comparison between the two (is one even necessary?), but DORIS seems the more potent. While there's too much decadent bittersweet flavour for any alcohol to be detected, you're reminded with each sip that what you're drinking is special... and strong stuff. Again, slow pace is requisite.

DORIS drinks like a cigar dipped in espresso, then coated with chocolate and left out to dry in a hot, island sun. It has a worn leather mouthfeel and cocoa-like bitterness as well as a striking resemblance to the strong, black espresso served in Italian cafes. As I pour the second half into my glass, I know that I am experiencing the best there is of imperial stouts.

Some beers are said to be good 'cigar beers', well DORIS actually tastes like a fine Cuban cigar: cedar spiciness, dark honey, whole cocoa nibs, roasted hazelnut, Italian espresso, vanilla, earthy leather and a gentle tobacco-like note. And, like a fine cigar (which I must confess I know next to nothing about), it is dry and gently spicy, with a round, heady smoke.

I have been very conscious about my waistline lately and for that reason was extremely hesitant about committing to such a strong, rich beer, despite my craving for one on this humid summer afternoon. But for every one of those flavours listed above, I feel a little extra cushioning in the mid-section (or a little extra jogging) is a fair price to pay for such delight.

4.32/5  rDev +2.6%

22 oz, no date on bottle.

Pours jet black like oil, very dark brown head, but it fades fast. Strong aroma of sweet and roast malts, but the hop aroma is actually even stronger.
Tastes is complex and multi layered. Bitter chocolate, roast coffee, sweetness from the oats, and earthy hops. Mouthfeel is thick, with just enough carbonation.

Overall, good, but not worth the hefty price tag.

4.47/5  rDev +6.2%

I loved B.O.R.I.S. so I had to arrange for a trade for this one. Thanks TMoney2591!

While it came glugging out of the bottle I could easily envision the plug being removed from the oil pan of my old '65 Mercury Comet, with the old, blackened oil running up my arm because it is impossible to get your arm out of the way in time. I have purposely avoided referring to old or using motor oil in my reviews of stouts as I feel it is overused and not always appropriately. Just because it's dark doesn't give it the same look as this beer and others that deserve the comparison. The head? Dark mocha, only about 1/2" thick and not long-lived...hence the rating of only 4. Imp stouts should have massive heads that resist being dispelled.

The smell has every imp stout earmark, but does so in a big way. Roasted grains are very evident...not just a "roasty smell", you can really get the sense of the roasted grains in pre-brew form. Chocolate and coffee are here, of course...neither can resist a party thrown by stout makers and there is also a sense of dark fruits...figs is what I get. the taste follows along with the smell but the roasts really dominate and the chocolate almost disappears. The alcohol makes it's first showing in the upper back of the mouth and gives a nice warming feeling to a brew that is rife with grittiness. This beer is thick and viscous and, although you do get the alcohol, it does not seem like 10.5%

Hopping Frog continues to impress with their mastery of all things stoutish. I would for them to really explore the boundaries of this style and wow us with versions of stouts never dreamt of. If anyone can do it, these blokes can.

4.32/5  rDev +2.6%

Poured from a bottle into a nonic pint glass. Bottle is very fresh.

A: A thick engine oil jet black color that is thick as molasses. A one finger brown/reddish head sits atop with no glass lacing to speak of.

S: Wow, very, very dark roasted malts with tons of dark chocolate, coffee, earthy hops and alcohol. Lots going on.

T: Heavy roasted malt flavors dominate early with lots of dark bittersweet chocolate. I get some burnt coffee flavors, licorice, molasses and some slightly woody notes. The sweetness comes in only to be crushed by the massive earthy woody hops that turn very bitter on the finish. This is one very intensely flavored beer, wow. Finish remains bitter with a decent alcohol kick. Intense.

M: Full, coating, bitter, alcohol, just lots going on here.

O: Take B.O.R.I.S and crank it up 3 notches and you get D.O.R.I.S. this beer is insanely intense, but it a great way. One bomber is about all you can handle at once, but boy is it a fun ride.

Overall a great beer, maybe almost too great as you can only handle the intense flavors for so long before you palate is totally fatigued. Still, what a beer. Hoppin Frog makes some great stuff, I just wish they were a bit more reasonable price wise.

4.12/5  rDev -2.1%

Thanks to Kelly88 for sending me this one!

Pours an opaque black with a 1 inch dark chocolate milk colored head that fades to an oily cap. Random small spots of lace form around the glass on the drink down. Smell is of sweet dark chocolate, slight coffee, and some cinnamon. I really like the aromas coming off this beer. Taste is of bittersweet chocolate, roasted coffee beans, and alcohol. There is a roasty bitterness that lingers on the palate after each sip. This beer has a low level of carbonation with a thick and creamy mouthfeel. Overall, this is a good RIS that I think is about on par with B.O.R.I.S. I am glad I got to try this one.

4.15/5  rDev -1.4%

Poured into a tulip glass from a bottle. It's motor oil black with just a little more liquidity to it. A fast pour creates a pinky finger of dark brown with a reddish tint of head, but quickly fades. The aroma is immediate and strong - roasted chocolate and coffee smells and tastes, slightly sweet but more bitter chocolate at the tail end of the sip. hides the 10% ABV very well, and is very tasty.

4.5/5  rDev +6.9%

Poured a black color with a large frothy brown head that lasted with excellent lacing. Moderate to heavy toasted chocolate, caramel and alcohol aroma. Heavy bittersweet toasted black malt flavor with a heavy bittersweet and small alcohol bite finish of long duration. Full body with a smooth texture and flat carbonation. This is a standout beer.

4.2/5  rDev -0.2%

22oz bottle poured into a snifter. Poured at cellar temp.

A: Black, black, black, black, black. Yes very black. Pour came with a dark brown, chocolate looking head -about one fingers worth of it. Left a fair about of lacing down the glass.

S: Sweet chocolate paired with roasted coffee, vanilla bean and molassas. Small amounts of licorice are present as well a almost strange, but sorta good at the same time hop character.

T: Three words: Over the Top. But in a good way, in a way that I like. First sip blast you with chocolate and roasted coffee followed by a lingering vanilla and molassas flavor. Pretty intersting combo. Alcohol and licorice hang in the back.

M: Very thick, chocolate milk shake thick. Also very warming with the high ABV. Decent carbonation present.

O: My favorite out of the B.O.R.I.S, BA B.O.R.I.S, D.O.R.I.S group. I love the over the top characteristics. It makes it fun to drink and experience. A beer that I need to come back to very, very soon!

4.23/5  rDev +0.5%

A - Black as night. Huge 3 inch chocolate brown brown head on the pour that recedes fairly quickly. A beauty on the look.

S - Has a big mocha and chocolate smell. Black licorice.

T - Woo wee. Dark chocolate and mocha like the smell. Oatmeal comes in to play but not as pronounced as I thought it would be. Just a bit of sweetness. Finishes with a great warming that runs straight down your throat. The warmer this gets the better it is. Let it sit.

M - Velvety mouthfeel. Just a nice chewy stout.

D - I could slow drink this all night. The ABV is high so you cant have too many but damn this is a good one.

D.O.R.I.S. The Destroyer Double Imperial Stout from Hoppin' Frog Brewery