D.O.R.I.S. The Destroyer Double Imperial Stout - Hoppin' Frog Brewery

D.O.R.I.S. The Destroyer Double Imperial StoutD.O.R.I.S. The Destroyer Double Imperial Stout

Hoppin' Frog Brewery visit their website
Ohio, United States

Russian Imperial Stout |  10.50% ABV

(Beer added by: MbpBugeye on 03-26-2010)
3.23/5  rDev -23.3%

A - black as oil. Short brown head.

S - potentially more dark chocolate scent than many chocolate stouts. Hop bitterness, some roasted malts and a touch of dried fruit.

T - lots of dark chocolate. Hops are in well represented in the mix. Mild malts and fruit.

M - solid coating, even coats the teeth. Tingles don't last but move around the mouth, even under the tongue. Alcohol burn in back of throat.

D - a little too much alcohol feel and you MUST be in the mood for chocolate.

3.85/5  rDev -8.6%

11/27/10

Thanks Stawn.

A: Pours black, with a small head, reminiscent of motor oil.

S: Powerful and rich is the dark chocolate. Molasses is prominent and accompanied by lesser notes of anise. A moderate roasted malt character is apparent. No evident alcohol for such a high ABV.

T: Moderate roast and a low earthy bitterness. Molasses, bitter dark chocolate, light astringency. Notes of baker's chocolate in the finish.

M: Full body, moderate carbonation. Huge mouthfeel, viscous creamy, and silky.

Overall: A nice RIS, though heavier on the molasses than I prefer. Still, I can appreciate its quality. Was nice to try this next to Boris.

4.08/5  rDev -3.1%

"It is occasionally possible to charge Hell with a bucket of water, but against stupidity the gods themselves struggle in vain."

--Doris Fleeson

Anthracite with nary a glimmer of lightening at the edges. Following a muted escape of CO2 on crown cracking, it took an increasingly elevated pour to produce a skinny two fingers of cafe au lait colored cream. Persistence is impressive, however, and finely stippled lace is much more extensive than expected.

The nose is RIS good, not RIS great. It's primarily black-roasted-chocolate malty (natch), with a shot of hops that doesn't seem to be a major player at this point. Hard to say how old this bottle is, but I'm pretty sure it hasn't yet reached its first birthday. Very good things are expected on the palate.

D.O.R.I.S. is at least as good as B.O.R.I.S... and isn't quite as delicious as barrel-aged B.O.R.I.S. This is boldly flavored beer, but it isn't as deep or as complex as the best of style. Hop bitterness is still considerable (70 IBUs to start), which keeps the beer from being overly sweet.

Black malt is front-and-center. There's also quite a bit of charred coffee beaniness and plenty of dark chocolate. Brown sugar, molasses, and dark fruit (sweet things, in other words) aren't really present. Alcohol masking is barely acceptable, but the bump in ABV over B.O.R.I.S. wasn't really needed.

Along with appearance (great looking lace is sticking like glue), mouthfeel is a highlight. It's more lush, plush and silky smooth than big and sticky-sappy, which is to its credit. Despite initial worries, the carbonation is right where it needs to be... on the low end.

Hoppin' Frog D.O.R.I.S. The Destroyer Double Imperial Stout is bigger than B.O.R.I.S. The Crusher Oatmeal Imperial Stout, but it isn't better. For my money, the bourbon barrel-aged version of the latter blows them both out of the water.

4.25/5  rDev +1%

From 11/25/10 notes. Did a side by side tasting of BORIS, BA BORIS, and DORIS with my brother and dad. Served from a 22 oz. bottle, 2010 vintage.

a - Pours a dark black color with two inches of tan head and light carbonation evident. Looks pretty good.

s - Smells of vanilla, hops, oatmeal, chocolate, roasted malts, and light coffee. Has less dark fruit on the smell than BORIS, but more hops and more of a vanilla/chocolate smell which I really enjoy.

t - Tastes of hops, bitter chocolate, coffee, roasted malts, and vanilla.

m - Smooth and creamy, full body and low carbonation. My brother and I both thought that DORIS felt like it had less alcohol than BORIS, I was really surprised how well the ABV was hidden.

d - I really loved this RIS. I thought it was on par with BORIS, and might even give it a slight edge, and I ranked it ahead of BA BORIS. Lots of hops and vanilla and chocolate in the smell and taste, and it felt great. Would love to have again.

Edit: I re-took notes on BORIS during the tasting and had rated it a 4.25 both times I reviewed it, and gave this a 4.20 so I guess BORIS wins, but I would love to have either again.

3.3/5  rDev -21.6%

Large capped bottle.

Poured into a snifter, it is pitch black, with minimal head, just about no lacing.
Aroma is this beer's best part, smoke, piney hops, chocolate, coffee, possibly some oats.
Body is not as full as I expected, and the minimal carbonation subtracts a bit more from the enjoyment.
Some notes of chocolate, some coffee, minimal oats, and a lot of hops and alcohol heat. It feels somewhere between a black IPA and an overhopped stout, with citric and piney notes that just do not blend very well, and then the alcohol heat keeps on coming. I was disappointed.

Amazing legs on this beer - clung to the glass like fine liquor. A touch syrupy, with gigantic roasted malt, redolent of coffee and bitter chocolate. Alchol is warming, leaning a bit toward hot. A very big RIS, and it might benefit from just a little age.

4.35/5  rDev +3.3%

Pours a jet black with a dark brown head. Excellent lacing when swirled, head that stuck to the glass barely moved. Smelled and tasted like a stout should with a smoothness that followed. That's one of things I liked about this beer is the smoothness. Had a nice burn on the end but not a burn that overpowered it, just right. This beer is a definite example of what a stout should be and it's beers like this that just make me glad stouts is my favorite style of beer. I wish I could get this where I live or this would be one of my go-to beers.

3.38/5  rDev -19.7%

Served in a glass mug.

Maybe someone can remix the classic Who song, huh? Nah, maybe not. Anyway, this thing pours a straight obsidian topped by a finger of burnt sienna foam. The nose comprises burnt rubber, fusels, roasted malts, coffee, and chocolate-covered raisins. The taste holds a surprising amount of hops, with some heavy pine, flower, and greens piercing the dark backdrop, which itself is composed of pretzels, dark chocolate, and light roasted malts. Honestly, the hoppiness really takes hold, and the stout-like qualities are overshadowed and buried. The body is a hefty medium, with a light moderate carbonation and a thick, chewy feel. Overall, I did not care all that much for this one. The hoppiness took away from what could've been a great stout and kept me from really wanting to finish my portion of the bottle.

3.55/5  rDev -15.7%

A - Poured pitch black, thick and viscous.

S - Roasted malts, a nice coffee profile, sweet brown sugar and a significant hop bitterness. Some noticeable alcohol on the nose.

T - Roasted malts, chocolate, sweet brown sugar and a significant hop bitterness and a noticeable alcohol taste. A nice stout for the ABV but the bitterness and alcohol taste are too much.

M - Medium body; not as thick and chewy as the pour indicated.

D - Hot and very bitter. Wouldn't have been able to drink this whole bottle myself. Glad I shared it.

3.63/5  rDev -13.8%

Served in a mug

Thanks to TMoney2591 for not breaking this one too.

This beer pours an absolutely gorgeous abyss with a cocoa brown head. The smell is really very harsh. The nostrils smell mostly rubbing alcohol, which makes it hard to detect the coffee and lemon citrus in the background. The taste is of heavily roasted dark chocolate, a bit of lemon citrus, oats and an everclear backer. The feel, in spite of the fuel grade alcohol is rather nice and smooth. This beer is drinkable and can be enjoyed, but the fumes coming off it are really a turn off.

4.1/5  rDev -2.6%

Bottled, poured into large snifter.

A: Black pour, medium brown, dense head. Terrific looking.

S: Bittersweet chocolate, coffee, black licorice.

T: Roasty malt, baker's chocolate, coffee, licorice, dark fruit, alcohol heat. Finish was dry with more alcohol heat and some hop bitterness.

M: The alcohol really comes through. Would mellow with age, I'm sure.

Overall, I enjoyed it, but it would probably be better with a couple of years in the cellar.

4.15/5  rDev -1.4%

I had a sample of this during the Epic stout tasting I helped host. from a 22oz bomber into a tumbler.

The appearance is black like used oil and opaque clarity with a medium brown head the slowly disintegrates. The head revives with a swirl of the glass. The amount that remains becomes a ring of tiny beads. The smell is very intense w/ grainy and fruity aroma and slight bitter cocoa influenced with a lot of citrus hop and mild alcohol. The feel is good with a lot of tongue coating maltiness and strong astringent quality with a moderate bitterness and subtle alcohol to go with the sweetness, rather dry in the finish.

This stout tastes like a huge oatmeal stout, tons of malt and bitter cocoa with a mild chocolate malt tinge and subtle hop citrus adding to the bitterness of the malt with a slight dark fruit and subtle toasted element. The drinkability is very good for the heft of the malt and abv contained in this big stout. The taste doesn't stop providing interesting notes of oatmeal and dark malt from first sip until the last with very high quality drinking and enjoyment experienced.

4.05/5  rDev -3.8%

A: Poured into my pint glass, this brew pours jet black with another dark head that tends to leave a lot better lacing then BORIS. Really, this is brew is up there with the absolute best looking stouts.

S: Hops are present in this version of DORIS, along with a hot alcohol tinge. Roasted malt, with a lot less chocolate and coffee than regular BORIS, or even BABORIS, proving again how difficult it is to brew these big stouts.

T: The flavor follow suit. The "D" in "DORIS" stands for Double the hops. Lots of hops. It's hard to tell behind the large amount of roasted malt, but there is a slight fruit like note to the hops. This stout is a little more roastier than BORIS, but again is lacking the coffee and chocolate notes.

MF: Mouthfeel is thinner than BORIS, and this brew is all around a bit rougher.

D: Along with the mouthfeel, drinkability has suffered here too. Really this brew is a little too hot right now.

Overall, DORIS is good without being great. I'll pull my other DORIS out of the cellar around 2015.

4.15/5  rDev -1.4%

Bottle shared by Lunch. Thanks Paul!

Served side by side with the first batch of Barrel-Aged B.O.R.I.S.

A: D.O.R.I.S. has a remarkably similar appearance to Barrel-Aged B.O.R.I.S. I'm not sure I would be able to tell them apart by appearance alone. The beer is black with a very minimal head that fades quickly, as if it's late for something.

S: The aroma is noticeably different from Barrel-Aged B.O.R.I.S. as obviously, D.O.R.I.S. is not barrel-aged. There is a heavy presence of roasted malt.

T: The taste is the best aspect of this beer. And as taste is obviously the most important quality, I found this beer to be very enjoyable. Again, the heavy roast taste really appealed to me. What it lacks in complexity, it makes up for in simple quality.

M: Decent feel, but I do wish the carbonation level was higher. This seems consistent with the various stouts I have had from Hoppin' Frog.

D: A solid beer. I'd definitely drink it again.

4.13/5  rDev -1.9%

Bottle shared by Lunch at a recent tasting, thanks Paul. Served side by side with BA Boris batch 1, thanks Matt. Beer is black to dark brown with a nice half finger head of small brown bubbles that doesn't bother to stick around to see how the beer tastes. Minimal lacing low carbonation. Looks fine.

Aroma is mostly sweet with some roast on the backend. Smells good.

Beer is medium to big in body with a nice lead off sweetness that finishes nicely into an ashy bitterness from the roasted grains. There is a minimal hint of alcohol on the front end of the palate and the finish is a little dry. I enjoyed this beer almost as much as BA BORIS, but I think I like the BORIS better.

4.33/5  rDev +2.9%

A-Pretty. Opaque, dark brown to black with a frothy brown head that quickly dissipates to a pool. No real lacing.

S-Roasted malt, some caramel and a hint of booze, maybe a whiff of booze.

T-Delicious. Roasty in the front with a sweet marshmallow and caramel taste taking over. Some licorice notes in the finish and a nice earthy bitterness and some booziness in the finish.

M-Surprisingly light on the palate for the richness of the beer. Moderate carbonation.

D-I am guessing that more than one of these is a bad idea but boy is this good.

HV

3.68/5  rDev -12.6%

very viscous dark brown that produces a small and very dark mocha colored head slowly recedes, and leaves minimal lacing.

a bit charred aroma of cocoa, mocha coffee, and some woody and earthy hops making their way into the mix.

slightly charred, again, in the flavor. dry cocoa powder, a bit of anisette, booze, coffee. pretty standard flavors here, nothing out of the ordinary for even a run-of-the-mill RIS.

not quite as thick as the pour would indicate, but still full bodied with plenty of prickly carbonation thats slightly too much for my tastes in the style.

drinks well. a bit boozy, and its a harsh booziness that, paired with the anisette, makes this not terribly pleasing going down.

overall, not worth the premium nor acclaim as far as my tastes are concerned. Saw it at a good deal and was hoping for something extraordinary. I think this is on par with, say, a Sam Adams Imperial Stout, which is cheaper for the four-pack than this is for one 22oz bottle.

4.2/5  rDev -0.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 3.5

A slow trickle of a pour yielded a black as night brew, with a bit 3 finger puffy, chocolate marshmallow looking head! Looked like a glass of chocolate syrup, with some chocolate mousse on top! MMM

Aroma was nice, with hints of coffee, cocoa nibs, and a slightly bittersweet nose. There was surprisingly no booze on the nose at all.

Got the booze on the taste though, but it was not overpowering, and a little expected. Chocolate, coffee, bittersweet coffee, roasted, toasted malts and some burnt sugar.

One of the thickest brews I've had! Chewy, coating, full bodied. Cant ask for much more!

Easy to drink 1, but this thing is so big, any more than that would be daunting.

Overall, EXCELLENT and I look forward to hunting this down again!

4.05/5  rDev -3.8%

22oz bottel poured into my lost abbey stemware glass

A: Black , very thick. Looks like motor oil, Very small head , about 1 finger and with an appropriate amount of Carbonation.
Little bit lacing

S:i can smell The hops right away, but you also get the chocolate and malt on the nose.and also à strong Coffee smell

T: Bitter chocolate, and a lot of hop bitterness only to be counter punched with sweet malt flavors. This thing is really big and bold. The first glass was very bitter but as it began to warm up it began to loose a bit of the bite and made it much more drinkable.

M: Syrupy, thick. Very smooth

D: This is a very smooth drinking beer with a very minimal alcohol presence. a real sipper.

4.58/5  rDev +8.8%

Blind Bomber #10.
Beer reviewed entirely blind: no knowledge of Brewery, beer, or even style.
Served in a snifter.

Wow. Now here is something other than IPA for sure-- a deeep viscous black motor oil poured from the bottle. The deep brown head bubbled and seethed up to a healthy-looking finger worth of thick rocky magma-like froth with bubbles popping and exploding almost audibly. Huge thick sheets of lace are so ubiquitous that it is almost tough to make out the rings that are left, although there is barely a gap between that you can see-- that gap is like the micro-printing on US currency. (Second pour from the bomber yielded 3 fingers of head that cascaded and bubbled with such elegance that we are knocking appearance up a point to a full on 5).

Woah. The mouthfeel is outrageous in its creamy fullness. This monster is thick and hearty. I am already suspecting this is something special-- like an Imperial Stout brewed with something... Doesn't seem to be barrel-aged or anything...so it's tough to tell. But wow. This may very well be the thickest and creamiest beer I've ever come across. A smooth velvety feel reminds me a bit of an Oatmeal Stout-- but this is way too big to be an Oatmeal stout.

The flavor is about as stout-like as you can get, but never gets repetitive. The flavor starts with roasted dry barley, graham cracker, and some sweet malt too. The malts are ALMOST adding an element of smokiness, but not quite there. Bitter cocoa comes across towards the back end with a hint of alcohol on the finish. I mean just a hint. I imagine this beer is over the 10% mark, possibly closer to 13%. Big roasty flavor helps the finish stay dry. The nose adds some dark fruits too-- but hey don't come across in the taste too much.

Wow. I'm nearly done with this bottle. I am rocking this thing solo and I literally had to stop to check my email so that I would slow down drinking it. Whatever this is, it is damn good. I'll certainly be adding it to my wants!

A-5
S-4
T-4.5
M-5
D-5

Ripping open envelope-- Hoppin' Frog's D.O.R.I.S the Destroyer. It is an Oatmeal RIS! Wow... Really very good. We get HF here, but the price tag makes me hesitant to buy it for myself! This is one that I won't mind grabbing to share with some one! Thanks for throwing this one in here Mike! I might not have ever picked it up otherwise!

4.43/5  rDev +5.2%

Thanks to miketd for shipping me a bottle of this evidently one-off brew...no idea this was a one-and-done. Whoa, I smell rarity, whoo-hoo! Graded up a notch already.

Tick, tick...pours like a good RIS should, black, slight, simmering head. Smell is heady, intoxicating malts and hints of coffee.

D.O.R.I.S. elevates Hoppin' Frog's game. This is one dark, rich Russian Imperial Stout. The silhouette of the malts is Heidi Klum in a wife-beater, just gorgeous. Lava-thick malts roll down the slopes of my palate & drench everything in dark, sweet, roasted, chocolatey blasts. Just enough of a hop spin on the end to keep it from flipping into the abyss. Full & luxurious as a five-star hotel, just as an RIS ought to be.

Kingmaker. Excellent beer. I've been let down by a few RIS brews lately, even aged ones, but this is a standard-bearer. I vote for another round of D.O.R.I.S. brewing. Quickly.

3.7/5  rDev -12.1%

Poured from a bottle into a 22oz snifter.

A very dark brown, almost black brew with a quarter inch of large bubble tan head which quickly dissolves. Not much lacing present. Smells of toffee, oats and coffee. Has a dark chocolate and toffee taste at the start. But tastes more like a black coffee later. Alcohol is definitely present and it takes just a tad away from a better mouthfeel. For a stout, this beer is a little bit hoppy for what I like in a stout, which makes gives it more of a bitter taste than expected.

3.98/5  rDev -5.5%

a- Pours a pitch black with a minimal amount of head. With a very aggressive pour there was still very little head.
s- There is a strong roasted oats smell. Along with a very sweet malty aroma.
t- This is a very rich beer. A very heavy sweet taste with a hint of coffee towards the end of the drink. I had a drink of this a couple of months ago and it has aged extremely well.
m/d- Extremely full bodied. it is a very sweet enjoyable drink that sticks around in the mouth well after the drink. There is a very strong coffee taste for an imperial stout. I expected a little more sweeter beer, but roasted malt is on the menu for this one. A nice beer to cap off the night.

4.33/5  rDev +2.9%

A - Pours like motor oil, the most aggressive pour possible only gave a single finger of tan head which left a ton of lacing.

S - Coffee and malt aromas fill the nose, tons of both of those aromas.

T - Taste is excellent, tons of rich coffee and malt flavors fill the aroma, this is the definition of a malt bomb and has aged beautifully since being brewed.

M/D - Mouthfeel is rich, thick and smooth as butter. Even though this is a very heavy beer, it is so smooth it is no problem to get down. A textbook RIS.

4.25/5  rDev +1%

Poured from 22oz bottle. Review from notes...

A- Pours a pitch black motor oil black color. Two finger tna head shows great retention but falls to a cap on the beer. Chunky spotted lacing on the sides of the glass.

S- Nice roasted malts from the get go. Coffee and chocolate unite with a hint of soy sauce to it. Alcohol tingles the nose throughout. Burnt biscuit malts to this as well. Big aroma for a big beer I suppose.

T- Taste is pretty much the same as the nose. There is more dark fruit poking around in the taste though as I didn't pick it up in the aroma. Some brown sugar hints to a light sweetness from time to time as well.

M- Medium heavy mouthfeel. Carbonation was a little on the lower side. Silky smooth mouthfeel. Lots of roast left on the palate with warming alcohol on the aftertaste. Flavors were all arcoss the board and blended together very well. Medium drying on the palate from the alcohol.

D- This was a very drinkable beer. I sipped on it a lot and it lasted me about an hour and half. I've been very happy with what I've had from this company. Seek out this gem and like their other bottles this is a diamond in the rough.

D.O.R.I.S. The Destroyer Double Imperial Stout from Hoppin' Frog Brewery