Turbo Shandy - Hoppin' Frog Brewery

to view more.
Ratings: 157 | Reviews: 52
Reviews by Siggy125:
3.79/5  rDev +10.2%

Poured from 22 oz bottle to pint glass. Traluscent yellow in color with tinges of lime green. Just a couple of bubbles of carbonation upon pour, then zero head, lacing, etc..

Smells of sour candy citrus and not much else. Maybe some light notes of yeasts.

The taste was a bit surprising. Lemon and lime citrus in flavor. A bit of sweetness on the palate, then sourness on the back end. I'm having trouble finding any "beer" in here. The 7% abv is very well hidden.

If you're looking for thirst quenching beer to pound on a hot day, look no further. This drinks like refreshing lemonade blended with 7up. Not really my style, but I think HF hit the intended target when creating this brew. Very unique.

Thanks to blutt59 for sharing this bottle.

The beer pours a hazy yellow color with a white head. The beer smells exactly like lemonade. The taste is identical with a ton of sweet lemons and not too much else. Medium mouthfeel and medium carbonation. Not sure how this compares to other shandy's, but it tastes like lemonade. Since I like lemonade, it gets a good score.

3.07/5  rDev -10.8%

From what I've heard about this beer Fred Karm asked his wife what type of beer would you like me to brew you. Supposedly she's not into all of his big beers that we on this site have come to love. Anyways I guess she requested make a beer that tastes like I'm drinkin' Country Time lemonade....so here we have Turbo Shandy from Hoppin' Frog. Appears a golden hazed apricot tone with a bright white fizzy head, forms fine speckled lacing that is pretty minimal. Aroma is blasting with citrus peel and lemon house cleaning product phenolics, even a bit medicinal natural flavoring additions which I guess he contacted the supplier of Country Time lemonade to procure these additions. I've had other bottled versions of this but this hides the alcohol and gives a strong lemon/lime soda pop sensation, very sweet with upfront with rounded citrus peel harshness and mild spice additions (maybe?). As close to candied alcoholic lemonade I've ever had, mouthfeel is spritzy with ample carbonation body is in the light to medium range. Drinkability, well it's summer and it's hot as hell, I guess I'll try a seven percent lemonade alcopop. Not real beer like but not as bad as a Mike's Hard Lemonade, not my go to beer. I don't apologize for trying this is was easy to consume and pretty tasty I suggest splitting the 22 with your lady.

3.33/5  rDev -3.2%
look: 2.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 2.75

Purchased from Hoppin' Frog brewery on the day they were bottling Turbo Shady. Poured about 2 hours later. Almost impossible to have any fresher.

A - Light golden, slightly hazy, zero head, zero lacing, constant carbonation rising.

S - Lemonade, sugar, lots of citrus, lightly barley, light malt

T - lemon, sweet red wine, wheat, lots of citrus, light malt

M - med body, froth level is low, descent amount of carbonation

O - Good summer drink. Yes, technically its a 'beer' but this is really sweet - almost too sweet. Frothiness isn't there. I wouldnt say its on the level of Mike's Hard Lemonade tho. If your not on a boat in the summer warmth- I might avoid this.

3.42/5  rDev -0.6%

Lemon coloured body, no head, active carbonation. Middling or less mouthfeel. Its a decent lemonade, the taste has some dish soapiness to it. Not too sweet, but some residual malts. Nothing special, but worth a glass for its drinkability.Neutral aroma.

2.22/5  rDev -35.5%

Looks pretty bad, even for a fruit beer. It's mostly straw gold with an ever so slight reddish orange mixed in. Think 5 parts gold to 1 part reddish orange. There is no head. Maybe a few bubbles early on, but they're gone in no time. It resembles a watered down orange Kook Aid.

The smell isn't much better. Has a slight lemon ginger scent, but that's it. Plus, it's almost an artificial smell.

Getting better, but still not good. Finally, at least I can taste some beer ingredients...a little malt. A lot of lemon citrus notes, some carbonation, a lot of sugar.

Believe it or not, it's got a heavy, thick syrupy feel to it. Some carbonation and sweetness, a lot of sweetness. Kind of a twang, but it's overpowered by the sweetness. Tartness in the finish.

Thank God it's a high ABV shandy or this would be worthless. It's simply not a good beer and it's difficult to drink. Too syrupy and lacks good flavors. Not something I'll ever have again.

2.97/5  rDev -13.7%

Turbo Shandy pours a light gold color. It's slightly hazy, and looks slightly copper or bronze when held to light. Carbonation looks to be very light. The bubbles disappear so quickly that no head ever develops. None. Zip. Nada. Disappointing. Lacing was likewise non-existent. Eh. Below average.

The nose is rather average. It's light and isn't very aromatic. Lemon seems to be the most prominent scent throughout. It's a little earthy and grainy. It smells sweet. The malt base is easily noted. It smells like mostly pale malt to me. Other than that, it's mostly on lemon blast. Alcohol is blended well and goes unnoticed for the most part. It's alright.

The flavor is very average. The sweet malt base is sturdy and perhaps a little too sweet. Citrus lemon is strong in the mix. It is reminiscent of lemonade. This particular 'shandy' is a little more beer-like due it the wealth of malt. It seems to take the edge off of the strong lemon flavor. Having said that, it still doesn't taste great. There are some ancillary earthy and grainy notes to round it out. Alcohol is a little noticeable, but is masked pretty well. Finishes sweet and lemony.

Turbo Shandy has a light body that leans medium. It feels smooth due to the lack of bubbles. But, the lack of bubbles is not a good thing. It needs more. Drinkability is very average, and that's probably a little generous. The combo of strong sweet and lemon grows tiresome quickly. A bomber's a little much to be honest.

Meh. Turbo Shandy is not Hoppin' Frog's greatest idea. If you're into 'shandy' beverages, then perhaps this might be your thing. It is more reminiscent of beer than the usual, but still isn't enough like beer for me. Too sweet, too much lemon, and not enough bubbles. Unless you're into all things shandy, skip it.

3.24/5  rDev -5.8%
look: 2.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

22 oz bottle into a couple of pint glasses.

Pours a hazed gold, almost a straw color, with a very thin bright-white fizzy head. This rapidly dissipates, leaving back no real retention or lacing to speak of. The aroma smells like Sprite. No kidding. Lemon, lime, and sugars. Maybe just a smidge of some hop activity rounds out the edges. That's about it though.

The taste is basically the same. A lot of lemon, a splash of lime flavor, and a good bit of sugary malt sweetness. Low to no bitterness is present. The mouthfeel is medium bodied and while the overall feel has a heftiness to it in the mouth, the carbonation still keeps things lively in the mouth with a sharp and effervescent carbonation. That 7% is well hid, with that aforementioned heftiness of the body being the only tell-tale giveaway here.

I've never had a shandy before and I'm not quite sure if I'm quite behind the concept, but this overall wasn't too bad. I think what hurt it the most for me was the "turbo" part, as some more lightness to the body would have matched up with that crispness of the carbonation and helped deliver more of a refreshing feel. I must say that I did enjoy this much more than the Smashing Berry beers!

3.65/5  rDev +6.1%

Turbo Shandy! Perfect choice after a hot July bike ride.
Heard about this earlier, and couldn't resist curiosity when I came upon this questionable beverage today.

Poured into a large tapered Spaten glass. Served cold. A fizzy swarm of bubbles rose to the surface, but couldn't generate much of a head at all. After a minute, all that's left is a wispy white skim. Some slow, ascending bubbles visible. Super clear pastel yellow.

Smells a little like hard lemonade/Sprite with lemon zest. Not too excited about it, as it seems sort of artificial.

Tastes like a 50/50 blend of lemonade and pilsner. There's the lingering taste of pilsner malt in the aftertaste, and sweet/tart lemon in the forefront. Flavor isn't as artificial as the smell, and it has some astringency that suggests natural ingredients. It's a simple mix, nothing overly sweet or lacking to me. It has the suggestion of "beer", mixed with lemonade like a traditional radler. The higher abv kick is hidden, which is the real attraction I guess. It's easily quaffed, and is very quenching without being sugary.

Yes this is a novelty, but I can think of many worse ones that don't have the utter sessionability that Turbo Shandy does. Far better than Steigl Radler and Summer Shandy. Good crossover potential for those who "don't like beer".

2.32/5  rDev -32.6%

22 ounce bottle. Served in a nonic pint glass, the beer pours a hazy gold color with about a 1/4 inch white head that went away pretty quickly. No lacing whatsoever. The brew smells like lemon/limeade made with some kind of sugar substitute. It tastes the same way to me, mostly like some kind of lemonade with lime flavor and sugar substitute, maybe like a diet lemonade drink. It sure doesn't taste like good lemonade. After a while it just gets harder and harder to finish this bottle. Mouthfeel/body is light, and it has decent carbonation. Overall, I just don't care for this brew. I've had worse but I certainly won't buy this again, especially for $6.99 a bomber.

3.94/5  rDev +14.5%

A: Hazy pear in color, white head that dissipates very quickly.

S: A very bright beer. Citrus throughout. I can't help but thinking this smells like orange juice and sprite with a beer kicker. Very interesting indeed.

T: Very interesting indeed. The orange and sprite come through in the flavor a whole lot. Towards the end there is a little spice kick, perhaps clove like in flavor. There is just a hint of an almost belgian like flavor in the finish.

M: Clean, refreshing, and there is a certain sharpness in the citrus. Highly carbonated but it seems to work for the style.

D: Very drinkable, this could be dangerous.. You can taste a little booze, but not enough to send up warning flags. I think this beer could do some major damage on a hot day. Delicious, and perfect for the summer.

3.46/5  rDev +0.6%

pale golden amber.A good two inch plus head formed at the top almost immediately and had a decent, but not long retention to it. After the head faded it left behind about a quarter of an inch of fizzy, fuzzy lace

Very strong, almost pungent smell coming off of this one from the very beginning. The first whiff was ridiculously sweet with the smell of, what would you expect, citrus. yeasty smell and a touch of wheat or bread. unfiltered wheat defiantly came through as well, but I would consider this to be way more a fruit brew then a Hefe, it was just overpowering in its approach. There was some yeast and wheat flavors, way way out on the backend of it. Also the finish had somewhat of a lemon like touch to it, something a bit different to be sure and separate from the rest of the main flavor profile. Overall a very strong, pungent but yet light flavor.

3.22/5  rDev -6.4%

Hazed blonde with no real head, just a film on top. The aroma is big-time lemon and no beer smell at all. This must be an attempt at an artisan hard lemonade, it succeeds on that front and is pleasant enough to drink if you like lemonade. Full bodied for lemonade and sweet. Way better than Mike's lemonade but this is not really beer to me.

2.51/5  rDev -27%
look: 3 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.25 | overall: 2.5

22 ounce bottle, poured into pint glass. 2013 vintage, did not note the date.

Aroma was lemony but not overly fresh, some faint malt in the background. Nothing overly enticing here.

Appearance - slightly cloudy golden cooler, a few bubbles but no real head. Some small bubbles appeared throughout the consumption.

Taste - very sweet, some lemon up front, a little acidity, but mostly sweet. The malt character wasn't really present either.

Mouthfeel - cloying sweetness and definitely coating. Bordering on syrupy. To me, lacking in carbonation. A strange aftertaste that is not bitter or citrusy - almost an oily character.

For me, this was a weak offering from Hoppin' Frog. I look for this style to be refreshing and lively, but this one was overly sweet and dead heavy. It didn't have the lemonade brightness I was looking for and the brew behind the flavor lacked character.

3.44/5  rDev 0%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

I poured a fizzy, active finger of near white head over a yellow body. There are more bubbles coming up from the bottom of this beer than I usually see.

This beer smells of lemon candy. I also get pale malt and a light grass aroma.

It tastes lightly of lemon jolly ranchers, with subdued sweet-grass at the end.

Mouthfeel is light bodied. It is syrupy while still being light, if that makes any sense.

4.54/5  rDev +32%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

I let my buddy help me review this because he loves some good summer beers. He says he's pissed they don't distribute in our area. Says it's the best summer beer he's ever had. Taste is lemony and almost like a 7-up. Really easy to drink. I could see us drinking 3 or 4 bombers on a hot summer day. Makes us wish we lived in Cleveland. This is one good beer. Maybe it doesn't taste like beer, but who cares. The taste is great and at 7.2% we could throw a bunch back and be feeling real good.
I wish I had more to try from hoppin frog. Gonna snag some up next time I'm in the area!

3.76/5  rDev +9.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

This is a tough beer to review, as the whole style doesn't receive many accolades or respect. I'll compare it to beers of like style though, and go from there.

The smell is pretty strongly of lemon soda. If I were to open up a lemon soda, that's what I would expect to smell. I then do get a bit of weak, pale "beery" malt that does show this is an alcoholic beverage after all.

Pours a fizzy yellow in my cup with really no head to speak of. Kind of like a soda again.

The taste is quite sweet upfront. A sugary lemon soda for sure. Sweeter than most shandies that I've had. Perhaps how they cover up the high ABV?? Because it sure isn't very perceptible. It does taste good though. I like lemons and I do drink soda. A weak beer malt does peek through though. Which again does show this is an adult beverage. The base beer, if I had to guess, isn't much different than any macro. I bet that's by design. I also get a bit of grain.

Pretty drinkable but perhaps too sweet for more than one.

2.87/5  rDev -16.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.75

This was not good. It's not that it tasted bad, it's that it tasted wrong for a beer. It didn't taste like beer. It tasted like an artificially flavored children's soda pop, and a really overdone one at that. It was cloying and fake tasting. I gave it a couple tries but just couldn't motivate to keep on sipping. One sip and sniff was enough to know things weren't looking good. Another couple was enough to not want any more of it.

3.89/5  rDev +13.1%

Cracked open at a summer cook out, figured the perfect situation. I see I am in the minority as I found this one to be VERY tasty.

A-Hazy golden straw yellow with a very thin white head that vanishes to nothing. Disappointing for the fact that it does not resemble beer.

S-Sweet and tangy lemon and lime zest with a touch of grassy hops and a bit of biscuit malt. Nothing over the top here but it nice.

T-Punch of lemon zest up front with an augmenting dash of lime in the back. Biscuit malt adds a balance of sweetness with a light touch of grassy hops and a subtle hint of honey.

M-Light bodied but not thin. Sharp, crisp and refreshing. This one comes off exactly like I would expect.

D-Come on people this is suppose to be a Shandy--which is a beer/lemonade mixed drink. This one has the lemon/lime zing up front with a light, sweet biscuit malt chaser. I could do without the 7% ABV though. Make this a 4-5% easy drinker and this one could be the ultimate summertime BBQ accompaniment!

3.59/5  rDev +4.4%

Fruit and beer has a commingling history although many staunch beer aficionados frown upon the combinations today. Lemonade infused beers have fallen in and out of favor in Germany in radlers or the tropics as shandy, but they rarely exhibit the fortified strength of seven percent alcohol.

Hazy golden in color, the "dirty" yellow hue sheads its early carbonation and goes quickly still. Terse head character, carbonation, and no real lacing gives the beer a slightly dull appearance throughout.

Where it's kind of an ugly duckling to the eye, the nose is very perfumy with lemons, wheat, cookie dough, and powdered sugar. Light fruity-spicy interplay lies squarely on the lemons but is also timidly supported with orange zest, corriander, and peppery alcohol.

Sweet lemons are again the dominant flavor, and by a long shot. The sugar and fruit juice thwart the flimsy wheat malt, doughy yeast, or herbal hop character. The simplified palate that's all-about-lemon offers little complexity, balance, or interest to celebrate otherwise- but boy is it still tasty!

The sugary-sweet mouth feel coats the palate with soda-pop residually sweet tact and mild lemon acidity. The sweetness gives the blend an extended finish with zesty fruit closure with nary a suggestion of alcohol anywhere.

Comparisons to actual non-blended beers aren't quite fair as the fruit doesn't participate in the brewing or fermentation processes. Rather, as a blend of two beverages it's more of a cocktail of ale and lemonade. Although I find the blend very refreshing, absolutely tasty, and delightful, I like it for very different reasons than I like beer.

3.74/5  rDev +8.7%

22 ounce bottle, bottled in May, picked it up at the brewery. Pours slightly hazy bright golden amber color with a small foamy white head that reduces to nothing pretty quickly. A good amount of carbonation nucleation from the bottom of the glass as well. Huge aromas of lemon zest, orange zest, lime, and a bit of yeast breadiness. Interesting aromas to say the least, smells like fresca or something. Taste of huge lemon, lime, orange zest, and a bit of spiciness. Some tartness from the lemon and lime on the finish, with lingering citrus notes for a brief period of time. No bitterness noticed at all. Medium body and medium carbonation. No alcohol noticed other than a slight warming after the finish. Very easy to drink for 7% ABV. Overall, this is actually pretty damn good. I don’t think I have actually had a shandy before, but this is tasty stuff!

3.3/5  rDev -4.1%

This was ok much better with ice. I did like it but it is not a beer. It tasted like vodka lemonade and soda.

2.77/5  rDev -19.5%

Bomber split with the family during a cookout and poured into a cervoise. This brew appears a hazed color of lemonade but with a dark yellow to orange coloration. There is no head formation despite lots of fizz and rising bubbles of carbonation to the surface. A swirl does nothing for the appearance.

The smell of this brew is very fruity with hints of lemon zest and pulp. Tons of fruity sweet indications fill the nose. There is a minor fruity malt or alcohol inclusion through the middle but the lemon remains dominating. As it warms, a light amount of sulfur is evident which mixes with a smell that gets somewhat more like grain but that is stretching it.

The taste of this brew is like lemony candy. It is very sweet with some zest, rinds and pulp addition but without the expected bitterness associated with that arrangement of ingredients. Very candy-like across the board like lemon and a bit of limes and a touch of orange. Despite the brew warming up, it doesn't have any more depth of flavor beyond that which has already been described.

This is a medium bodied brew with a light to modest amount of carbonation. It is easy drinking initially but it goes downhill fast. This is just overly sweet candy alcohol with almost an oily feel to it. The stage was set perfectly for this brew to be enjoyed. Chilled down appropriately on a hot summer day along the pool, even shared with people who don't necessarily like beer that tastes like beer... Finishing a bomber of this by yourself would be a real task. 4 people had but 4 or 5 ounces and each one struggled to finish off their share. While initially it was an interesting citrus beverage, the drinkability here is among the worst I have had.

3.2/5  rDev -7%

22oz bottle poured into a pint glass
A: Pours a pale hazy yellow with a one-finger head that settles very quickly. Quite a bit of carbonation.
S: Lots of lemon, a bit Sprite-like with sweet malt underneath.
T: Pretty much tastes like Sprite that's going flat. Sweet lemon-lime.
M: Light-bodied, lots of nice carbonation, just not much depth.
O: All things considered this does taste good and goes down way too easy, but I can buy a can of Sprite and drop in a shot of vodka for far less than $7/bottle.

3.12/5  rDev -9.3%
look: 3 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

REVIEW

Style: Fruit beer, shandy

ABV: 7%

Purchased at: Woodman’s Market; Madison, WI.

Pour: Blonde pour with a medium white head.

Aroma: Lemon fruit scent, maybe some yeast notes as well.

Flavor: The sweet lemonade is there. I described it as very close to drinking a Squirt soda.

Ratebeer.com rating: 39/100

Beeradvocate.com rating: 79/100

Overall: C+

My recommendation: A hot day, this works well. The only drawback for me, not enough beer flavor and too sweet. A good 22 oz bottle to share with somebody.

to view more.