Turbo Shandy - Hoppin' Frog Brewery

Ohio, United States

Fruit / Vegetable Beer |  7.00% ABV

Availability: Summer

Beer added by: Beejay on 06-26-2010

to view all ratings, reviews and sorting options.
Ratings: 155 | Reviews: 51

4.75/5  rDev +38.5%

4.54/5  rDev +32.4%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

I let my buddy help me review this because he loves some good summer beers. He says he's pissed they don't distribute in our area. Says it's the best summer beer he's ever had. Taste is lemony and almost like a 7-up. Really easy to drink. I could see us drinking 3 or 4 bombers on a hot summer day. Makes us wish we lived in Cleveland. This is one good beer. Maybe it doesn't taste like beer, but who cares. The taste is great and at 7.2% we could throw a bunch back and be feeling real good.
I wish I had more to try from hoppin frog. Gonna snag some up next time I'm in the area!

4.5/5  rDev +31.2%

Not the best beer, but definitely the best Shandy! Unusually high ABV for a Shandy, but still has a great citrus taste & surprisingly smooth for 7%. Unless you absolutely refuse to drink a Shandy, give this beer a try. Perfectly refreshing for spring & summer.

4.45/5  rDev +29.7%

22oz bomber in a Sam Adam's glass.

A - Mountain Dew yellow. Absolutely no head. Constant stream of bubbles.

S - Sweet lemon, no hops to speak of. Candy sugars?

T - Candy like sweetness on the sides of the tongue, with a trailing bitterness down the back. Intense at first, but this fades and the sweetness becomes more predominant as you drink. Dry maltiness, maybe pilsner malt and white wheat?

M - Effervescent and dry. Tingling on the tongue. Leaves your mouth watering.

D - Excellent! I'd love to have had one of these on those 96 degree days we had in August. Sweet and tart with a wonderful dry finish. I think this beer gets a bad wrap because of the fruitiness, but for what it is aiming for it is exceptional.

4.42/5  rDev +28.9%

Serving Type - 22oz bottle

Appearance - Light golden yellow, much like a wheat ale. Light white fizzy head and minor lacing.

Smell - Citric lemon and orange soon as bottle is open. Some wheat and maybe a little wheat/malt mix with some added sugars and spices.

Taste - Very cirtic carbinated sweet sting of orange and lemon. Some added sugars really send this over the top. Mix of spices and a little yeastly feel. As with all hoppin frog brews, flavor heavy and strong. Theres a malt backbone thats hidden behind the fruits. Alcohol is none present, no way id think this was more then 4% until a mild warmth comes in at the end.

Mouthfeel - Very light and easy to drink. Tounge and palate get the orange and lemon with sugars and malts. Aftertaste is dry, sweet and spicy.

Overall - Once you get over the fact that this doesnt taste like a beer then you can enjoy it. Its what its says it is, a citrus ale. Its super easy to drink and really citric sweet. Nice beer for a change up, or perfect for a wine cooler or none beer female drinker. This is spot on for the style and worth a drink.

4.36/5  rDev +27.1%

Big bottle from Kruegel's Deli in Wilkes-Barre, PA. I'm a big fan of Hoppin' Frog and was eager to try their spin on a summer shandy. While I've enjoyed this style in the past (Leinie, Saranac, etc.) this was easily the best bottled shandy I've had. At about 7% abv, it was substantial yet very tasty. Mouthfeel was good...not too cloying and it was very refreshing. For the $7.99 price (relatively low for this brewery) I'd definitely purchase it again!

4.06/5  rDev +18.4%

Pours with no head over a cloudy yellow body. Plenty of carbonation at the onset.

Lots of lemonade and lime in the aromas, with some yeasty qualities in the back.

Tangy and sweet citrus flavors, like an lowly carbonated Fresca. Grassy hop quality, but mostly lemonade-quality coming thru ... as advertised. Pretty cool that they can give this ale such a shandy replication.

Mouthfeel is pretty juicy and light, with just a touch of carbonation. Hard to believe this has as much ABV as some doppelbocks.

I really enjoyed this one, as fruity beers go. Perfect alternative to the "malternatives".

4.01/5  rDev +16.9%

I know that this ranking will really stand out as abnormally high, but once you read through my evaluation, I hope you'll see that there is hope for this "style" of ale.

A: Poured from the bomber a cloudy, golden-ocher color which was quite cloudy. What little head there was, dissipated quickly. There was no lacing evident during my session.

S: The aroma was of fresh lemon, grapefruit and citrus peel.

T: Sour, sour, sour. I'm not talking the Flemish sour here, I'm talking citrus sour. No hop bite, no malt that I could discern, just fresh lemonade sour without sugar. At first, I though what the hell ... what's got in to Hoppin Frog. This is highly unusual for them to produce I don't adore let alone have a tough time drinking. Then I looked up "Shandy" and better understood what I was sharing with my friend. If by now, your still reading, then I'll pass along a serving suggestion that turns this beer from a somewhat unpleasurable experience to one of utter refreshment. SERVE OVER CRUSHED ICE! What a difference. Light, crisp and refreshing are key descriptors. Palate cleansing would be another. Just like a mid course sorbet to freshen ones palate for the next ale!

M: The high citrus undoubtedly knocks down the carbonation, but the addition of ice seems to help rectify this somewhat. Still, would liked to have had some more "liveliness on my tongue.

D: Without ice, not a chance. With ice, this becomes a very refreshing citrus flavored ale.

Thanks to blutt59 for sharing this bottle.

The beer pours a hazy yellow color with a white head. The beer smells exactly like lemonade. The taste is identical with a ton of sweet lemons and not too much else. Medium mouthfeel and medium carbonation. Not sure how this compares to other shandy's, but it tastes like lemonade. Since I like lemonade, it gets a good score.

to view all ratings, reviews and sorting options.
Turbo Shandy from Hoppin' Frog Brewery