Turbo Shandy - Hoppin' Frog Brewery

Fruit / Vegetable Beer |  7.00% ABV

Availability: Summer

Beer added by: Beejay on 06-26-2010

4.54/5  rDev +33.5%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

I let my buddy help me review this because he loves some good summer beers. He says he's pissed they don't distribute in our area. Says it's the best summer beer he's ever had. Taste is lemony and almost like a 7-up. Really easy to drink. I could see us drinking 3 or 4 bombers on a hot summer day. Makes us wish we lived in Cleveland. This is one good beer. Maybe it doesn't taste like beer, but who cares. The taste is great and at 7.2% we could throw a bunch back and be feeling real good.
I wish I had more to try from hoppin frog. Gonna snag some up next time I'm in the area! (582 characters)

4.5/5  rDev +32.4%

Not the best beer, but definitely the best Shandy! Unusually high ABV for a Shandy, but still has a great citrus taste & surprisingly smooth for 7%. Unless you absolutely refuse to drink a Shandy, give this beer a try. Perfectly refreshing for spring & summer. (260 characters)

4.45/5  rDev +30.9%

22oz bomber in a Sam Adam's glass.

A - Mountain Dew yellow. Absolutely no head. Constant stream of bubbles.

S - Sweet lemon, no hops to speak of. Candy sugars?

T - Candy like sweetness on the sides of the tongue, with a trailing bitterness down the back. Intense at first, but this fades and the sweetness becomes more predominant as you drink. Dry maltiness, maybe pilsner malt and white wheat?

M - Effervescent and dry. Tingling on the tongue. Leaves your mouth watering.

D - Excellent! I'd love to have had one of these on those 96 degree days we had in August. Sweet and tart with a wonderful dry finish. I think this beer gets a bad wrap because of the fruitiness, but for what it is aiming for it is exceptional. (723 characters)

4.42/5  rDev +30%

Serving Type - 22oz bottle

Appearance - Light golden yellow, much like a wheat ale. Light white fizzy head and minor lacing.

Smell - Citric lemon and orange soon as bottle is open. Some wheat and maybe a little wheat/malt mix with some added sugars and spices.

Taste - Very cirtic carbinated sweet sting of orange and lemon. Some added sugars really send this over the top. Mix of spices and a little yeastly feel. As with all hoppin frog brews, flavor heavy and strong. Theres a malt backbone thats hidden behind the fruits. Alcohol is none present, no way id think this was more then 4% until a mild warmth comes in at the end.

Mouthfeel - Very light and easy to drink. Tounge and palate get the orange and lemon with sugars and malts. Aftertaste is dry, sweet and spicy.

Overall - Once you get over the fact that this doesnt taste like a beer then you can enjoy it. Its what its says it is, a citrus ale. Its super easy to drink and really citric sweet. Nice beer for a change up, or perfect for a wine cooler or none beer female drinker. This is spot on for the style and worth a drink. (1,096 characters)

4.36/5  rDev +28.2%

Big bottle from Kruegel's Deli in Wilkes-Barre, PA. I'm a big fan of Hoppin' Frog and was eager to try their spin on a summer shandy. While I've enjoyed this style in the past (Leinie, Saranac, etc.) this was easily the best bottled shandy I've had. At about 7% abv, it was substantial yet very tasty. Mouthfeel was good...not too cloying and it was very refreshing. For the $7.99 price (relatively low for this brewery) I'd definitely purchase it again! (454 characters)

4.06/5  rDev +19.4%

Pours with no head over a cloudy yellow body. Plenty of carbonation at the onset.

Lots of lemonade and lime in the aromas, with some yeasty qualities in the back.

Tangy and sweet citrus flavors, like an lowly carbonated Fresca. Grassy hop quality, but mostly lemonade-quality coming thru ... as advertised. Pretty cool that they can give this ale such a shandy replication.

Mouthfeel is pretty juicy and light, with just a touch of carbonation. Hard to believe this has as much ABV as some doppelbocks.

I really enjoyed this one, as fruity beers go. Perfect alternative to the "malternatives". (601 characters)

4.01/5  rDev +17.9%

I know that this ranking will really stand out as abnormally high, but once you read through my evaluation, I hope you'll see that there is hope for this "style" of ale.

A: Poured from the bomber a cloudy, golden-ocher color which was quite cloudy. What little head there was, dissipated quickly. There was no lacing evident during my session.

S: The aroma was of fresh lemon, grapefruit and citrus peel.

T: Sour, sour, sour. I'm not talking the Flemish sour here, I'm talking citrus sour. No hop bite, no malt that I could discern, just fresh lemonade sour without sugar. At first, I though what the hell ... what's got in to Hoppin Frog. This is highly unusual for them to produce I don't adore let alone have a tough time drinking. Then I looked up "Shandy" and better understood what I was sharing with my friend. If by now, your still reading, then I'll pass along a serving suggestion that turns this beer from a somewhat unpleasurable experience to one of utter refreshment. SERVE OVER CRUSHED ICE! What a difference. Light, crisp and refreshing are key descriptors. Palate cleansing would be another. Just like a mid course sorbet to freshen ones palate for the next ale!

M: The high citrus undoubtedly knocks down the carbonation, but the addition of ice seems to help rectify this somewhat. Still, would liked to have had some more "liveliness on my tongue.

D: Without ice, not a chance. With ice, this becomes a very refreshing citrus flavored ale. (1,464 characters)

Thanks to blutt59 for sharing this bottle.

The beer pours a hazy yellow color with a white head. The beer smells exactly like lemonade. The taste is identical with a ton of sweet lemons and not too much else. Medium mouthfeel and medium carbonation. Not sure how this compares to other shandy's, but it tastes like lemonade. Since I like lemonade, it gets a good score. (370 characters)

3.95/5  rDev +16.2%

Gotta bear the style in mind. Pours a hazy straw gold, very little lace and quickly fading head.
Smell is oranges with a slight wheat/caramel backbone. Interesting.
Taste is Orange Crush with a bit of malt instead of the overpowering sweetness. I'm seriously waiting for the caffeine buzz to kick in. That's really all there is to say about it. Much more like a soda than a beer. Light carbonation and a smooth mouthfeel make it drinkable on a very hot summer day. Not sure what else I'd do with it. (500 characters)

3.94/5  rDev +15.9%

A: Hazy pear in color, white head that dissipates very quickly.

S: A very bright beer. Citrus throughout. I can't help but thinking this smells like orange juice and sprite with a beer kicker. Very interesting indeed.

T: Very interesting indeed. The orange and sprite come through in the flavor a whole lot. Towards the end there is a little spice kick, perhaps clove like in flavor. There is just a hint of an almost belgian like flavor in the finish.

M: Clean, refreshing, and there is a certain sharpness in the citrus. Highly carbonated but it seems to work for the style.

D: Very drinkable, this could be dangerous.. You can taste a little booze, but not enough to send up warning flags. I think this beer could do some major damage on a hot day. Delicious, and perfect for the summer. (805 characters)

3.92/5  rDev +15.3%

22 oz bomber. I can't locate any date codes. Dig the label art, like all the Hoppin' Frogs..

Pours a hazed, lite, lemon-yellow. A fine, white head bubbles up if you pour heavily, but most of the time a small ring washes around the glass. Smell is a pleasant, citrus-fruit *bomb* - straight lemon & lime. Tastes good too, layers of balanced, not-too-sour lemon and a very mild malt underneath. Honestly, this tastes like Sprite (though not as carbonated). Smooth, flat, fruity feel. Finishes tart, the 7% ABV is hid splendidly. Refreshing indeed, and by *far* the most intense lemon-infused beer or shandy I've tried. Well done. (628 characters)

3.92/5  rDev +15.3%

This beer poured out as a light hazy yellow color. The head is a little fizzy and it vanishes pretty quickly. The smell is strong with citrusy lemons. It smells highly refreshing for the summer season. The taste is very lemony. The beer taste more like a lemonade than a beer. The mouthfeel is light and slightly carbonated. Overall this beer is a decent summer beer, I wouldn't drink more than one of these. Pretty sweet all around, worth drink on a really hot day. (466 characters)

3.89/5  rDev +14.4%

Cracked open at a summer cook out, figured the perfect situation. I see I am in the minority as I found this one to be VERY tasty.

A-Hazy golden straw yellow with a very thin white head that vanishes to nothing. Disappointing for the fact that it does not resemble beer.

S-Sweet and tangy lemon and lime zest with a touch of grassy hops and a bit of biscuit malt. Nothing over the top here but it nice.

T-Punch of lemon zest up front with an augmenting dash of lime in the back. Biscuit malt adds a balance of sweetness with a light touch of grassy hops and a subtle hint of honey.

M-Light bodied but not thin. Sharp, crisp and refreshing. This one comes off exactly like I would expect.

D-Come on people this is suppose to be a Shandy--which is a beer/lemonade mixed drink. This one has the lemon/lime zing up front with a light, sweet biscuit malt chaser. I could do without the 7% ABV though. Make this a 4-5% easy drinker and this one could be the ultimate summertime BBQ accompaniment! (997 characters)

3.84/5  rDev +12.9%

Pours a clear light golden color with a tiny white head and very low carbonation.

Scent of fresh lemon juice, sharp, light malts, and a touch of grassy/leafy hops. I'm finding a trend with Hoppin' Frog's seasonal beers (Frog's Hollow and Frosted Frog) that they smell like the season or holiday they represent. While I would prefer more hoppiness I still enjoy this scent.

Taste of juicy lemons, light bitter hops, and finishing with crisp bready malts. It has a nice flavor, but it is slightly lacking, I think this is because the lemon is a bit overbearing. Even with that complaint, I can still say that this is a good beer.

Mouthfeel is light bodied and clean, the carbonation is a little lacking, though. (712 characters)

3.8/5  rDev +11.8%

22 oz bottle poured into pilsner glass. Served this well chilled.

A) Cloudy yellow with a massive white foamy head. The head settled quickly to a soapy looking collar. Not much lacing.

S) The positive about the nose on this brew, is that it doesn't have that lemony household cleaner thing going on. The negative is the sweetness, not so much that it's too sweet, but it's kind of an artificial sweetener. The scent is fresh enough, and good for a bottled shandy.

T) A fine beer lemonade combo. Follows the nose pretty closely, but I bumped the score up a notch, because the taste seemed more natural to me, like fresh lemon juice and table sugar. This one is super refreshing. The 7% ABV is completely unnoticed, which makes this one dangerous. At the same time, a 7% ABV shandy, is quite contrary to the invention of the shandy in the first place.

M) A medium body, and not overly carbonated. It is a little bit syrupy. It could have actually been just a little lighter, but even so it delivered a refreshing lemon pick me up.

O) Really quite an enjoyable fruit/vegetable beer here. If you are looking to try a bottled shandy, I'd highly recommend this one. It went down great on a 100 degree summer day. (1,211 characters)

3.8/5  rDev +11.8%

No freshness dating.

A= Pours a hazy bright yellow color with a half finger of fizzy soda like head that falls at a decent rate to a ring around the glass. Not too much lacing.

S= The smell lemony like a shandy. I'm not sure if shandys are allowed on beeradvocate but for a shandy this doesn't smell bad. Big bright in your face lemonade aroma with a secondary wheat smell you can pick up pretty easily.

T= The taste is just like the smell lemonade and a wheat beer mixed together. The lemon character may be a little too sweet for my liking but not too over the top. The wheat flavor comes through in the end and finishes nicely. Nice bit of tartness to the lemonade but again just a little too sweet for me.

M= Nice bubbly carbonation keeps the tongue happy.

O= A decent shandy. It's a little overly sweet but the wheat character and the lemon are well done. Nice carbonation and a good sipper on a hot day like today. I'm happy a craft brewer decided to make a shandy and make it pretty well. Tone the sweetness down a bit and this would be a most excellent beverage. (1,075 characters)

3.79/5  rDev +11.5%

Poured from 22 oz bottle to pint glass. Traluscent yellow in color with tinges of lime green. Just a couple of bubbles of carbonation upon pour, then zero head, lacing, etc..

Smells of sour candy citrus and not much else. Maybe some light notes of yeasts.

The taste was a bit surprising. Lemon and lime citrus in flavor. A bit of sweetness on the palate, then sourness on the back end. I'm having trouble finding any "beer" in here. The 7% abv is very well hidden.

If you're looking for thirst quenching beer to pound on a hot day, look no further. This drinks like refreshing lemonade blended with 7up. Not really my style, but I think HF hit the intended target when creating this brew. Very unique. (707 characters)

3.76/5  rDev +10.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

This is a tough beer to review, as the whole style doesn't receive many accolades or respect. I'll compare it to beers of like style though, and go from there.

The smell is pretty strongly of lemon soda. If I were to open up a lemon soda, that's what I would expect to smell. I then do get a bit of weak, pale "beery" malt that does show this is an alcoholic beverage after all.

Pours a fizzy yellow in my cup with really no head to speak of. Kind of like a soda again.

The taste is quite sweet upfront. A sugary lemon soda for sure. Sweeter than most shandies that I've had. Perhaps how they cover up the high ABV?? Because it sure isn't very perceptible. It does taste good though. I like lemons and I do drink soda. A weak beer malt does peek through though. Which again does show this is an adult beverage. The base beer, if I had to guess, isn't much different than any macro. I bet that's by design. I also get a bit of grain.

Pretty drinkable but perhaps too sweet for more than one. (998 characters)

3.74/5  rDev +10%

22 ounce bottle, bottled in May, picked it up at the brewery. Pours slightly hazy bright golden amber color with a small foamy white head that reduces to nothing pretty quickly. A good amount of carbonation nucleation from the bottom of the glass as well. Huge aromas of lemon zest, orange zest, lime, and a bit of yeast breadiness. Interesting aromas to say the least, smells like fresca or something. Taste of huge lemon, lime, orange zest, and a bit of spiciness. Some tartness from the lemon and lime on the finish, with lingering citrus notes for a brief period of time. No bitterness noticed at all. Medium body and medium carbonation. No alcohol noticed other than a slight warming after the finish. Very easy to drink for 7% ABV. Overall, this is actually pretty damn good. I don’t think I have actually had a shandy before, but this is tasty stuff! (859 characters)

3.67/5  rDev +7.9%
look: 3 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

Pours light golden with almost no head. Smells like lemon ginger ale and I honestly don't need to describe the flavor any more than that. It is what it is Taste is just like the smell: zesty lemon peel, ginger ale, a bit of apricot. Effervescent and refreshing. Lots of hate for shandies out there, but this is really refreshing and a good beer for the style, and would be great on a boat on the lake in a hot summer. A real thirst quenching beer, though you would admittedly have to enjoy citrus. (497 characters)

3.65/5  rDev +7.4%

Turbo Shandy! Perfect choice after a hot July bike ride.
Heard about this earlier, and couldn't resist curiosity when I came upon this questionable beverage today.

Poured into a large tapered Spaten glass. Served cold. A fizzy swarm of bubbles rose to the surface, but couldn't generate much of a head at all. After a minute, all that's left is a wispy white skim. Some slow, ascending bubbles visible. Super clear pastel yellow.

Smells a little like hard lemonade/Sprite with lemon zest. Not too excited about it, as it seems sort of artificial.

Tastes like a 50/50 blend of lemonade and pilsner. There's the lingering taste of pilsner malt in the aftertaste, and sweet/tart lemon in the forefront. Flavor isn't as artificial as the smell, and it has some astringency that suggests natural ingredients. It's a simple mix, nothing overly sweet or lacking to me. It has the suggestion of "beer", mixed with lemonade like a traditional radler. The higher abv kick is hidden, which is the real attraction I guess. It's easily quaffed, and is very quenching without being sugary.

Yes this is a novelty, but I can think of many worse ones that don't have the utter sessionability that Turbo Shandy does. Far better than Steigl Radler and Summer Shandy. Good crossover potential for those who "don't like beer". (1,313 characters)

3.59/5  rDev +5.6%

Fruit and beer has a commingling history although many staunch beer aficionados frown upon the combinations today. Lemonade infused beers have fallen in and out of favor in Germany in radlers or the tropics as shandy, but they rarely exhibit the fortified strength of seven percent alcohol.

Hazy golden in color, the "dirty" yellow hue sheads its early carbonation and goes quickly still. Terse head character, carbonation, and no real lacing gives the beer a slightly dull appearance throughout.

Where it's kind of an ugly duckling to the eye, the nose is very perfumy with lemons, wheat, cookie dough, and powdered sugar. Light fruity-spicy interplay lies squarely on the lemons but is also timidly supported with orange zest, corriander, and peppery alcohol.

Sweet lemons are again the dominant flavor, and by a long shot. The sugar and fruit juice thwart the flimsy wheat malt, doughy yeast, or herbal hop character. The simplified palate that's all-about-lemon offers little complexity, balance, or interest to celebrate otherwise- but boy is it still tasty!

The sugary-sweet mouth feel coats the palate with soda-pop residually sweet tact and mild lemon acidity. The sweetness gives the blend an extended finish with zesty fruit closure with nary a suggestion of alcohol anywhere.

Comparisons to actual non-blended beers aren't quite fair as the fruit doesn't participate in the brewing or fermentation processes. Rather, as a blend of two beverages it's more of a cocktail of ale and lemonade. Although I find the blend very refreshing, absolutely tasty, and delightful, I like it for very different reasons than I like beer. (1,637 characters)

3.58/5  rDev +5.3%

Served chilled in a Duvel tulip

A - pours a hazy straw yellow with two fingers of pure white head. Good amount of lacing, a rim of retention

S - loads of lemonade up front, almost too sweet, followed by a bit of malt. no alcohol on the nose

T - mostly lemonade as in the nose, a fair malt backbone, bordering on the edge of too sweet

M - not too thin, good amount of carbonation, no alcohol to speak of, even at 7%abv

O - if the sweetness was toned down just a touch, this would be a phenomenal shandy. As it is, it is still a very refreshing drink for a hot summer afternoon. (581 characters)

3.47/5  rDev +2.1%

Live review. Purchased for $6.99 at Save On in Mentor, OH. Served at fridge temp into my Sam Adams glass.

The pour produces a cloudy apricot colored brew, with a tiny white head which disappears almost instantly. No lacing .. nothing being generated by the neucleation site at the bottom of my glass.

The nose is very light, fruity, citric and sweet in nature.

Taste is a refreshing mix of lemon zest, orange zest and perhaps the flavor of "Sprite". Perhaps a little apple tartness in the finish. No alcohol presence at all ... one could pound these down and get hammered without knowing what hit them. Mouthfeel is medium light and crisp. Carbonation is way too low, imho. Seems to be around 1.5 volumes, and I think it should be double that at least.

Drinkability is a home run. I don't think anyone would turn this down on a hot Summer afternoon .. or any other time for that matter. As I said before, at 7% abv (still can't believe it), this is dangerously drinkable. You could probably chug this like pop, and just want another.

I've always enjoyed Hoppin Frog brews. While this particular style isn't exactly my "cup of tea", I recognize it for what it is .. a thirst quenching Summer beer. It would have scored much higher in my book had it had some decent head, head retention, lacing and carbonation. That said, I'm still enjoying this very much. You definitely owe it to yourself to pick up one of these and decide on it for yourself.

Na Zdravje! (1,462 characters)

3.46/5  rDev +1.8%

pale golden amber.A good two inch plus head formed at the top almost immediately and had a decent, but not long retention to it. After the head faded it left behind about a quarter of an inch of fizzy, fuzzy lace

Very strong, almost pungent smell coming off of this one from the very beginning. The first whiff was ridiculously sweet with the smell of, what would you expect, citrus. yeasty smell and a touch of wheat or bread. unfiltered wheat defiantly came through as well, but I would consider this to be way more a fruit brew then a Hefe, it was just overpowering in its approach. There was some yeast and wheat flavors, way way out on the backend of it. Also the finish had somewhat of a lemon like touch to it, something a bit different to be sure and separate from the rest of the main flavor profile. Overall a very strong, pungent but yet light flavor. (864 characters)

Turbo Shandy from Hoppin' Frog Brewery