2. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Turbo Shandy - Hoppin' Frog Brewery

Turbo ShandyTurbo Shandy

Hoppin' Frog Brewery visit their website
Ohio, United States

Fruit / Vegetable Beer |  7.00% ABV

Availability: Summer

(Beer added by: Beejay on 06-26-2010)
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Reviewers
« first ‹ prev | 1-25 | 26-50  | next › last »
Ratings: 117 | Reviews: 49 | Show All Ratings:
adamette

Live review. Poured from the 22 oz. bomber that I bought at Save-On Tobacco & Beverage in Mentor, Ohio a few days ago for $6.99 into my Cooperstown Beverage Trail pint glass. No observed "best by" date but this was just released so I am sure that it is fine.

A Straw yellow, lemonade appearance with very little and short lived head with an initial effervensence of carbonation rising up and bursting at the surface. Not that impressive, even for the style since it looks like a soft drink. 2.0

S Smells a lot like that lemonade mixed with alka seltzer. I do not smell any alcohol, incidentally. I am not impressed with the smell of this beer, though. 2.0

T Well the taste springs right from the suggestion of the smell for me. It tastes like a mix of a strong (concentrated) lemonade, alka seltzer and Bartles & James cooler. I am really sorry but I do not like the taste of this beer. 2.0

M Really off putting. The effervesence noted in the smell and the active carbonation make the beer dance across your tongue but it reminds me too much of the alka seltzer and Bartles & James mentioned above. 2.0

D Good I guess on the hottest of days but then again I would really prefer a Country Time Lemonade over this. 2.0

Notes: A surprisingly dissapointing beer from a favorite local brewer who I really believe, outside of this particular beer, have created some excellent brews. I suppose I will simply have to purchase the other Hoppin Frog beers because this one I will likely avoid.

07-02-2010 03:05:46 | More by adamette
drabmuh

Maryland

2.23/5  rDev -34.8%

Bottle poured into a snifter, I like this brewery so I got it without looking at the reviews, oops. beer is yellow with a mild haze, lots of carbonation but no head, no lacing, no retention...odd.

Smell like Pledge, the furniture cleaning / polish pledge. This makes me read the label "Natural flavors added" and the sun is a lemon on the label. Oh god no.

This a Radler...so now my ignorance is showing. After a little bit (very little) internet research I realize that "Shandy" is the Italian term for the German term "Radler" which is a beer mixed with a soda, citrus soda. Ugh....this light, way super sweet, dominating lemon...what's that sink? You're thirsty? Here you go.

03-26-2012 02:39:59 | More by drabmuh
tedsox31

2.25/5  rDev -34.2%

Poured from a 22 oz. bomber into a pint glass. The color is a pale yellow with a thin head of foam, which quickly dissipates.

The aroma is somewhat of sweet malt, and then an overwhelming sense of lemon(ade).

The taste is weird. The lemonade is very present up front, with a little bit of grain mixed in as well. I think the weird thing about it is that the grain and the lemon taste do not seem to go well together.

The mouthfeel is effervescent and a bit thin. The lemon taste lingers on my tongue.

For me, this beer was not very drinkable. I found the lemon and grain taste to be slightly off-putting, and there wasn't enough else going on to keep my interest.

08-14-2010 19:17:19 | More by tedsox31
hosehead83

2.25/5  rDev -34.2%

Poured from a "bomber" bottle into a standard pint glass. Almost flourescent yellow in color, with a very thin "now you see it, now you don't" head of foam.
Aroma-Sunkist orange soft drink
Taste-Sunkist with some malt thrown in. Cloyingly sweet and just about undrinkable to my hop-head tastes, even on a 90 degree day. Maybe over ice or with a shot of rum. Not for everyone.
Especially me. I do enjoy other Hoppin' Frog brews however, just not this one.

06-06-2011 17:42:45 | More by hosehead83
RickS95

Indiana

2.25/5  rDev -34.2%

Looks pretty bad, even for a fruit beer. It's mostly straw gold with an ever so slight reddish orange mixed in. Think 5 parts gold to 1 part reddish orange. There is no head. Maybe a few bubbles early on, but they're gone in no time. It resembles a watered down orange Kook Aid.

The smell isn't much better. Has a slight lemon ginger scent, but that's it. Plus, it's almost an artificial smell.

Getting better, but still not good. Finally, at least I can taste some beer ingredients...a little malt. A lot of lemon citrus notes, some carbonation, a lot of sugar.

Believe it or not, it's got a heavy, thick syrupy feel to it. Some carbonation and sweetness, a lot of sweetness. Kind of a twang, but it's overpowered by the sweetness. Tartness in the finish.

Thank God it's a high ABV shandy or this would be worthless. It's simply not a good beer and it's difficult to drink. Too syrupy and lacks good flavors. Not something I'll ever have again.

07-30-2012 02:38:09 | More by RickS95
bluejacket74

2.3/5  rDev -32.7%

22 ounce bottle. Served in a nonic pint glass, the beer pours a hazy gold color with about a 1/4 inch white head that went away pretty quickly. No lacing whatsoever. The brew smells like lemon/limeade made with some kind of sugar substitute. It tastes the same way to me, mostly like some kind of lemonade with lime flavor and sugar substitute, maybe like a diet lemonade drink. It sure doesn't taste like good lemonade. After a while it just gets harder and harder to finish this bottle. Mouthfeel/body is light, and it has decent carbonation. Overall, I just don't care for this brew. I've had worse but I certainly won't buy this again, especially for $6.99 a bomber.

06-04-2011 23:26:30 | More by bluejacket74
jampics2

2.45/5  rDev -28.4%

Cracked a bunch of 22oz bottles of this at a tasting I had this weekend. Sounded like a refreshing choice, plus it's fun to pimp the home team to beer newbies :)

Straw colored fizzy beer. At least I think it's beer, it may not be.

Smell is lemonaide and some sweetness that smells like 50/50 soda or Squirt soda.

Taste is really, really bad. Not offensive, but just misses the boat completely. There was a 40oz malt beverage I used to drink in high school called "White Mountain". Apparently Fred and the frogs bought the rights and decided to name it Turbo Shandy. At least White Mountain was just $3.99 a 40oz. Lemon and sweet malt but there's an artificial character. Just an abomination of a "beer". Or, maybe it's not a beer after all.

Mouthfeel is light body and fizzy. OK, I guess. Overall, this was drinkable but not enjoyable. Some people loved it. I was not one of them. This was a total miss for me.

07-12-2010 13:41:15 | More by jampics2
LeRose

2.5/5  rDev -26.9%
look: 3 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.25 | overall: 2.5

22 ounce bottle, poured into pint glass. 2013 vintage, did not note the date.

Aroma was lemony but not overly fresh, some faint malt in the background. Nothing overly enticing here.

Appearance - slightly cloudy golden cooler, a few bubbles but no real head. Some small bubbles appeared throughout the consumption.

Taste - very sweet, some lemon up front, a little acidity, but mostly sweet. The malt character wasn't really present either.

Mouthfeel - cloying sweetness and definitely coating. Bordering on syrupy. To me, lacking in carbonation. A strange aftertaste that is not bitter or citrusy - almost an oily character.

For me, this was a weak offering from Hoppin' Frog. I look for this style to be refreshing and lively, but this one was overly sweet and dead heavy. It didn't have the lemonade brightness I was looking for and the brew behind the flavor lacked character.

06-10-2013 16:03:04 | More by LeRose
stakem

2.78/5  rDev -18.7%

Bomber split with the family during a cookout and poured into a cervoise. This brew appears a hazed color of lemonade but with a dark yellow to orange coloration. There is no head formation despite lots of fizz and rising bubbles of carbonation to the surface. A swirl does nothing for the appearance.

The smell of this brew is very fruity with hints of lemon zest and pulp. Tons of fruity sweet indications fill the nose. There is a minor fruity malt or alcohol inclusion through the middle but the lemon remains dominating. As it warms, a light amount of sulfur is evident which mixes with a smell that gets somewhat more like grain but that is stretching it.

The taste of this brew is like lemony candy. It is very sweet with some zest, rinds and pulp addition but without the expected bitterness associated with that arrangement of ingredients. Very candy-like across the board like lemon and a bit of limes and a touch of orange. Despite the brew warming up, it doesn't have any more depth of flavor beyond that which has already been described.

This is a medium bodied brew with a light to modest amount of carbonation. It is easy drinking initially but it goes downhill fast. This is just overly sweet candy alcohol with almost an oily feel to it. The stage was set perfectly for this brew to be enjoyed. Chilled down appropriately on a hot summer day along the pool, even shared with people who don't necessarily like beer that tastes like beer... Finishing a bomber of this by yourself would be a real task. 4 people had but 4 or 5 ounces and each one struggled to finish off their share. While initially it was an interesting citrus beverage, the drinkability here is among the worst I have had.

07-10-2011 22:27:24 | More by stakem
spitInTheOcean

2.78/5  rDev -18.7%

yellow. hazy. not much head retention. white head. very effervescent.

aroma is all lemon. no hops, unless if there are any they're very citrusy. no malt aroma. thin alcohol aroma.

initially sweet, but i dont think its malt sweet. then in the middle when the initial sweetness meets the citrus sourness it is a strange dissonant pairing. huge lemon flavor. sour finish. no hop flavor. there may be some hop bitterness which is what is clashing with the sourness. no malt flavor. cant really taste the alcohol, but you can feel its heat.

thin mouth feel. very effervescent. crisp. light. refreshing.

aroma is pretty one-dimensional. i picked this up because i love boris, and i have not like other shandies(leninkugels) but i was excited to see what they could do with this style. bitterness and sourness are notorious clashers. i think there is too much hop bitterness here. this beer is to the tongue what nails on chalkboard is the the ears.

04-01-2012 03:29:30 | More by spitInTheOcean
BrownNut

2.86/5  rDev -16.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.75

This was not good. It's not that it tasted bad, it's that it tasted wrong for a beer. It didn't taste like beer. It tasted like an artificially flavored children's soda pop, and a really overdone one at that. It was cloying and fake tasting. I gave it a couple tries but just couldn't motivate to keep on sipping. One sip and sniff was enough to know things weren't looking good. Another couple was enough to not want any more of it.

02-05-2013 17:22:00 | More by BrownNut
Florida9

2.93/5  rDev -14.3%

A: Hazed out dull lemon yellow. Absolutely no head, not even the slightest inference of a possible head. Just some extra fizzy effervescence while pouring the beer. No lacing.

S: Sweet lemon, like lemonade, but not quite as fresh or citrusy as actual lemonade. There is a metallic ting as well.

T: Slightly sweet light malt base. Artificial lemon flavor and the metallic aroma makes a presence in the flavor as well. Odd, metal aftertaste. There is a little yeast as well.

M: Thin and fizzy

D: Overall this is an easy drinker: Sweet, lemony, thin. I would say it is refreshing, but it really just isn't. From my standpoint, this one resembles a flavored malt beverage more than a beer.

08-18-2010 23:01:53 | More by Florida9
becktone

2.95/5  rDev -13.7%

Eye: Cloudy lemon in color. Carbonation looks active but not much of a head forms when poured and retention is nonexistent. All I end up with is a ring of lace with some spotty looking "islands" of very thin, very very thin foam over the top of the beer. Better head would give this one a much more appealing appearance.

Nose: Lemony aroma supported by light malt tones. Wheat aroma as well. Very light lemonade or lemon-lime soda aroma as compared to other shandies. Smells much more beer forward comparatively speaking.

Tongue: Weird kinda lemon taste up front. Almost kinda like a Honey-lemon cough drop-Halls with some menthol in there too. I mean its almost akin to the flavor of one of those cough drops. It just doesn't sit quite right. The honey type of flavor mixed with the lemon shandy flavor is a bit cloying and overpowering. It just tastes too much like one of those cough drops. Not really doing it for me. Body is medium and it feels like a wheat beer on the palate. Carbonation is low, but for something that is cloying like this I think a little more spritz would help to kill the cloying syrupy lemon-honey vibe I'm getting from this.

Drinkability: Unfortunately this is one that I'll not be picking up again. On a hot day I love a shandy, but not one that makes me even thirstier by turning my saliva into thick syrup. Go for something lighter and less syrupy. This one almost reminds me of winter when I have a cold and get relief from cough drops, I don't want to be reminded of being sick....

07-15-2013 22:47:01 | More by becktone
prototypic

2.98/5  rDev -12.9%

Turbo Shandy pours a light gold color. It's slightly hazy, and looks slightly copper or bronze when held to light. Carbonation looks to be very light. The bubbles disappear so quickly that no head ever develops. None. Zip. Nada. Disappointing. Lacing was likewise non-existent. Eh. Below average.

The nose is rather average. It's light and isn't very aromatic. Lemon seems to be the most prominent scent throughout. It's a little earthy and grainy. It smells sweet. The malt base is easily noted. It smells like mostly pale malt to me. Other than that, it's mostly on lemon blast. Alcohol is blended well and goes unnoticed for the most part. It's alright.

The flavor is very average. The sweet malt base is sturdy and perhaps a little too sweet. Citrus lemon is strong in the mix. It is reminiscent of lemonade. This particular 'shandy' is a little more beer-like due it the wealth of malt. It seems to take the edge off of the strong lemon flavor. Having said that, it still doesn't taste great. There are some ancillary earthy and grainy notes to round it out. Alcohol is a little noticeable, but is masked pretty well. Finishes sweet and lemony.

Turbo Shandy has a light body that leans medium. It feels smooth due to the lack of bubbles. But, the lack of bubbles is not a good thing. It needs more. Drinkability is very average, and that's probably a little generous. The combo of strong sweet and lemon grows tiresome quickly. A bomber's a little much to be honest.

Meh. Turbo Shandy is not Hoppin' Frog's greatest idea. If you're into 'shandy' beverages, then perhaps this might be your thing. It is more reminiscent of beer than the usual, but still isn't enough like beer for me. Too sweet, too much lemon, and not enough bubbles. Unless you're into all things shandy, skip it.

08-14-2010 02:33:30 | More by prototypic
WVbeergeek

From what I've heard about this beer Fred Karm asked his wife what type of beer would you like me to brew you. Supposedly she's not into all of his big beers that we on this site have come to love. Anyways I guess she requested make a beer that tastes like I'm drinkin' Country Time lemonade....so here we have Turbo Shandy from Hoppin' Frog. Appears a golden hazed apricot tone with a bright white fizzy head, forms fine speckled lacing that is pretty minimal. Aroma is blasting with citrus peel and lemon house cleaning product phenolics, even a bit medicinal natural flavoring additions which I guess he contacted the supplier of Country Time lemonade to procure these additions. I've had other bottled versions of this but this hides the alcohol and gives a strong lemon/lime soda pop sensation, very sweet with upfront with rounded citrus peel harshness and mild spice additions (maybe?). As close to candied alcoholic lemonade I've ever had, mouthfeel is spritzy with ample carbonation body is in the light to medium range. Drinkability, well it's summer and it's hot as hell, I guess I'll try a seven percent lemonade alcopop. Not real beer like but not as bad as a Mike's Hard Lemonade, not my go to beer. I don't apologize for trying this is was easy to consume and pretty tasty I suggest splitting the 22 with your lady.

06-28-2010 11:44:28 | More by WVbeergeek
iabeerbaron

Iowa

3.14/5  rDev -8.2%
look: 3 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

REVIEW

Style: Fruit beer, shandy

ABV: 7%

Purchased at: Woodman’s Market; Madison, WI.

Pour: Blonde pour with a medium white head.

Aroma: Lemon fruit scent, maybe some yeast notes as well.

Flavor: The sweet lemonade is there. I described it as very close to drinking a Squirt soda.

Ratebeer.com rating: 39/100

Beeradvocate.com rating: 79/100

Overall: C+

My recommendation: A hot day, this works well. The only drawback for me, not enough beer flavor and too sweet. A good 22 oz bottle to share with somebody.

04-29-2013 17:37:28 | More by iabeerbaron
ONUMello

3.18/5  rDev -7%

22oz bottle poured into a pint glass
A: Pours a pale hazy yellow with a one-finger head that settles very quickly. Quite a bit of carbonation.
S: Lots of lemon, a bit Sprite-like with sweet malt underneath.
T: Pretty much tastes like Sprite that's going flat. Sweet lemon-lime.
M: Light-bodied, lots of nice carbonation, just not much depth.
O: All things considered this does taste good and goes down way too easy, but I can buy a can of Sprite and drop in a shot of vodka for far less than $7/bottle.

05-15-2012 23:46:27 | More by ONUMello
biggred1

Indiana

3.2/5  rDev -6.4%

Hazed blonde with no real head, just a film on top. The aroma is big-time lemon and no beer smell at all. This must be an attempt at an artisan hard lemonade, it succeeds on that front and is pleasant enough to drink if you like lemonade. Full bodied for lemonade and sweet. Way better than Mike's lemonade but this is not really beer to me.

04-05-2011 23:34:48 | More by biggred1
beergod1

3.2/5  rDev -6.4%

Well....I had to make sure this wasn't a lemonade, because thats all I tasted, It was good lemonade, but I do prefer some Beer flavor with my Lemons. That being said.
It poured a cloudy yellow with minimal head. low carbonation. lemon on, in and around the nose. little bitterness before some strong citrus notes of lemon and a slight graininess, some lingering sweetness that isn’t overwhelming but doesn't work for me. It is still refreshing, but dammit, I want Beer. (7% abv...who would have thunk)

06-13-2011 00:34:25 | More by beergod1
Kegatron

3.23/5  rDev -5.6%
look: 2.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

22 oz bottle into a couple of pint glasses.

Pours a hazed gold, almost a straw color, with a very thin bright-white fizzy head. This rapidly dissipates, leaving back no real retention or lacing to speak of. The aroma smells like Sprite. No kidding. Lemon, lime, and sugars. Maybe just a smidge of some hop activity rounds out the edges. That's about it though.

The taste is basically the same. A lot of lemon, a splash of lime flavor, and a good bit of sugary malt sweetness. Low to no bitterness is present. The mouthfeel is medium bodied and while the overall feel has a heftiness to it in the mouth, the carbonation still keeps things lively in the mouth with a sharp and effervescent carbonation. That 7% is well hid, with that aforementioned heftiness of the body being the only tell-tale giveaway here.

I've never had a shandy before and I'm not quite sure if I'm quite behind the concept, but this overall wasn't too bad. I think what hurt it the most for me was the "turbo" part, as some more lightness to the body would have matched up with that crispness of the carbonation and helped deliver more of a refreshing feel. I must say that I did enjoy this much more than the Smashing Berry beers!

01-24-2011 17:54:29 | More by Kegatron
kwjd

Ontario (Canada)

3.3/5  rDev -3.5%

Pours a hazy yellow with some bubbly white head that dissipates quickly with no lace whatsoever. Smells like sweet lemon with a hint of beer almost. This does hide the 7% abv well. It really is a substitute for a vodka/wine cooler instead of what I typically think of a beer. One of the better shandy's I've had though.

09-28-2010 15:29:20 | More by kwjd
weonfire

3.33/5  rDev -2.6%
look: 2.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 2.75

Purchased from Hoppin' Frog brewery on the day they were bottling Turbo Shady. Poured about 2 hours later. Almost impossible to have any fresher.

A - Light golden, slightly hazy, zero head, zero lacing, constant carbonation rising.

S - Lemonade, sugar, lots of citrus, lightly barley, light malt

T - lemon, sweet red wine, wheat, lots of citrus, light malt

M - med body, froth level is low, descent amount of carbonation

O - Good summer drink. Yes, technically its a 'beer' but this is really sweet - almost too sweet. Frothiness isn't there. I wouldnt say its on the level of Mike's Hard Lemonade tho. If your not on a boat in the summer warmth- I might avoid this.

06-03-2013 23:04:01 | More by weonfire
Sammy

Ontario (Canada)

3.43/5  rDev +0.3%

Lemon coloured body, no head, active carbonation. Middling or less mouthfeel. Its a decent lemonade, the taste has some dish soapiness to it. Not too sweet, but some residual malts. Nothing special, but worth a glass for its drinkability.Neutral aroma.

09-27-2010 21:39:32 | More by Sammy
BuckeyeNation

Iowa

look: 2 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

"We are living in a world today where lemonade is made from artificial flavors and furniture polish is made from real lemons."

--Alfred E. Neuman

Haystack yellow with fuzzy lemon peel highlights and a 7UP-like crown that fizzed into the atmosphere inside of five seconds. No head and no lace results in an appearance that is nothing like beer. Wait, this is shandy. It still doesn't look good.

The aroma is a tough call because it's pleasantly lemony and I'm a lemonophile. Trouble is, it smells nothing like beer. Wait, this is shandy. It should still smell like beer, even if only a little.

Turbo Shandy is the best hard lemonade that I've ever had. Granted, this makes about three total. It has the right amount of sweetness, the right amount of lemon flavor, the right amount of pale maltiness, and the right ABV to deliver a solid flavor punch without crossing the line into 'shot of grain alcohol' nastiness.

On second thought, the smell score deserves to be above average, especially given the style. There really isn't much to say regarding the flavor profile. It's an incredibly simple combination of pale malts and lemon, with the proportions right where they should be.

The mouthfeel is light-medium and isn't as fizzy as expected. The bubbles are actually well done. The sugars give it a stickiness that lightly coats the mouth and tongue after each sip. Like lemonade, just not to the same extent.

Turbo Shandy is a pretty good summertime (non-beer) beverage, as long as you know what you're getting into. Again, this is what all hard lemonades should taste like. If this offering is the replacement for Smashin' Berry Ale and Smashin' Berry Dark, then it's a smashing success.

09-28-2010 11:18:26 | More by BuckeyeNation
CFHMagnet

3.43/5  rDev +0.3%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

I poured a fizzy, active finger of near white head over a yellow body. There are more bubbles coming up from the bottom of this beer than I usually see.

This beer smells of lemon candy. I also get pale malt and a light grass aroma.

It tastes lightly of lemon jolly ranchers, with subdued sweet-grass at the end.

Mouthfeel is light bodied. It is syrupy while still being light, if that makes any sense.

06-30-2013 02:53:39 | More by CFHMagnet