Turbo Shandy - Hoppin' Frog Brewery

Hoppin' Frog Brewery visit their website
Ohio, United States

Fruit / Vegetable Beer |  7.00% ABV

Availability: Summer

(Beer added by: Beejay on 06-26-2010)
2.5/5  rDev -26.9%

dailyminefield, May 20, 2014
3.5/5  rDev +2.3%

09robejo, May 17, 2014

mykill84, May 13, 2014
4.55/5  rDev +33%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

I let my buddy help me review this because he loves some good summer beers. He says he's pissed they don't distribute in our area. Says it's the best summer beer he's ever had. Taste is lemony and almost like a 7-up. Really easy to drink. I could see us drinking 3 or 4 bombers on a hot summer day. Makes us wish we lived in Cleveland. This is one good beer. Maybe it doesn't taste like beer, but who cares. The taste is great and at 7.2% we could throw a bunch back and be feeling real good.
I wish I had more to try from hoppin frog. Gonna snag some up next time I'm in the area!

Cory_Brown, May 10, 2014

Spider889, Dec 01, 2013

BlakeAM, Nov 01, 2013
3.69/5  rDev +7.9%
look: 3 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

Pours light golden with almost no head. Smells like lemon ginger ale and I honestly don't need to describe the flavor any more than that. It is what it is Taste is just like the smell: zesty lemon peel, ginger ale, a bit of apricot. Effervescent and refreshing. Lots of hate for shandies out there, but this is really refreshing and a good beer for the style, and would be great on a boat on the lake in a hot summer. A real thirst quenching beer, though you would admittedly have to enjoy citrus.

BMMillsy, Oct 18, 2013

maximus_rebel, Oct 01, 2013

RinZo, Aug 24, 2013
2.95/5  rDev -13.7%

Eye: Cloudy lemon in color. Carbonation looks active but not much of a head forms when poured and retention is nonexistent. All I end up with is a ring of lace with some spotty looking "islands" of very thin, very very thin foam over the top of the beer. Better head would give this one a much more appealing appearance.

Nose: Lemony aroma supported by light malt tones. Wheat aroma as well. Very light lemonade or lemon-lime soda aroma as compared to other shandies. Smells much more beer forward comparatively speaking.

Tongue: Weird kinda lemon taste up front. Almost kinda like a Honey-lemon cough drop-Halls with some menthol in there too. I mean its almost akin to the flavor of one of those cough drops. It just doesn't sit quite right. The honey type of flavor mixed with the lemon shandy flavor is a bit cloying and overpowering. It just tastes too much like one of those cough drops. Not really doing it for me. Body is medium and it feels like a wheat beer on the palate. Carbonation is low, but for something that is cloying like this I think a little more spritz would help to kill the cloying syrupy lemon-honey vibe I'm getting from this.

Drinkability: Unfortunately this is one that I'll not be picking up again. On a hot day I love a shandy, but not one that makes me even thirstier by turning my saliva into thick syrup. Go for something lighter and less syrupy. This one almost reminds me of winter when I have a cold and get relief from cough drops, I don't want to be reminded of being sick....

becktone, Jul 15, 2013

jmw4437, Jul 14, 2013

dmitalski, Jul 08, 2013

IPAchris, Jul 05, 2013
3.43/5  rDev +0.3%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

I poured a fizzy, active finger of near white head over a yellow body. There are more bubbles coming up from the bottom of this beer than I usually see.

This beer smells of lemon candy. I also get pale malt and a light grass aroma.

It tastes lightly of lemon jolly ranchers, with subdued sweet-grass at the end.

Mouthfeel is light bodied. It is syrupy while still being light, if that makes any sense.

CFHMagnet, Jun 30, 2013