BORIS Royale - Hoppin' Frog Brewery

to view more.
Ratings: 178 | Reviews: 67
Reviews by b3shine:
4.2/5  rDev +1%

Deuce to oversized tulip. Looks good - black with little to no bubbles. Smells good too. All the qualities of a barreled imperial stout, but subtler than bourbon. Tastes great. The (Crown) whiskey is definitely present, but it's smooth, not overpowering. Mouthfeel is good too. It could be a little less bitter (the hops combat the beer a little bit), but it goes down easy, especially for the abv. Overall, a delightful beer and a step up from regular barreled B.O.R.I.S.

Thanks to someone for sharing at bu11zeye's 10,000th rating tasting.

The beer pours a dark brown to black color with a brown head. The aroma has a lot of chocolate in it, as well as some roasted malt, bourbon and oak. The flavor is very similar. I get a lot of chocolate and whiskey notes, as well as some oak, vanilla and maple. You can really get the barrel-aged notes in the beer and they compliment the other components very nicely. Thick mouthfeel and medium carbonation. A very nice stout.

A big beer, yet very smooth. Canadian whiskey flavour in finish well integrated.ALso chocolate, coffee, coconut, some booze. From May 2011. A bit above average mouthfeel. Not a big head, opaque black appearance. Full roasted aroma. Very good drinkability and balance.Thanks Steve.

4.3/5  rDev +3.4%

Boris Royale pours a pitch black color. Looks onyx and ominous. No light cuts through at all. A very thin collection of dark mocha colored bubbles collects on the surface. They disappear quickly and leave a very thin, spotty lacing behind. Love the color!

The nose is impressive. It’s very malty. A mix of chocolate, caramel, and light roasted malts smell delicious. Roasted coffee is also noted. It’s a great complement to the malts. Whiskey is definitely noted, but doesn’t overwhelm the other scents. It seems to have a light to moderate presence. I like that. Light notes of dark fruit and molasses are noted on the tail. Alcohol is definitely there, but doesn’t seem too strong. Smell s good.

The flavor is even more impressive. The malt base alone is excellent. Bittersweet dark chocolate, caramel and subtle roasted notes provide a very sturdy, tasty backbone. Coffee is rather prominent in the mix and really adds an extra dimension to the flavor. As a coffee fan, I love it. Whiskey does have a light to moderate presence, though its effect is big. It drives the flavor up a notch all by itself. Whatever amount of time this was in barrels was just about perfect. There is a light, tangy dark fruit flavor and a touch of molasses on the tail. They’re light though. Alcohol is there, but isn’t warm or hot. Excellent!

The body is on the heavy side of medium. Carbonation is light and soft. It’s definitely nice and smooth. I wouldn’t mind just a tad more body. It’d be damn near perfect with just a bit more. This stuff goes down far too easy for a big stout in any event.

I’ve come to expect that every Hoppin’ Frog beer with some variation of the name “Boris” is going to be damn good. Boris Royale is definitely that. I’m not the biggest Crown Royal fan, but utilizing those barrels certainly worked out well in this instance. The whiskey flavor is an excellent complement to the stout flavors. If you can find a bottle, grab one. It’s pricey, but it’s well worth at least one purchase.

650 mL bottle poured into an Allagash chalice. No bottle date.

Appearance - Viscous black body. Inky with a decent khaki head. Settles to a few islands of bubbles and a collar of deep khaki foam.

Smell - The whiskey aroma reminds me of scotch, strangely. Tons of oatmeal. Deep chocolate aroma. No booze, impressively.

Taste - Whiskey is more prominent. Vanilla comes out. Not a lot of oak, but still it's a nice barrel component. Booze is more prevalent, too. Chocolate. Oatmeal is more subdued, but the viscosity is apparent.

Mouthfeel - Nice thickness, if the oatmeal is a little too overt. Nothing like the booze of regular BORIS. Just a little sweet in the finish.

Overall - Pretty nice without being really spectacular. Been a while since I've had regular BORIS, but I remember it being a pretty good stout. This is good without being really smoothed out.

4.32/5  rDev +3.8%

Poured from a 22 oz. bottle (no date) into a snifter glass.

A strong pour yields a 1 1/2-finger mocha-colored head that slowly recedes to a thick dusting and thick foam ring. The body is nearly perfect black with no traces of color when held to light. Thick lacing attempts to cling to the sides of the glass, but slowly falls from its own weight.

Dark, roasted malt aromas with notes of dark chocolate and burnt coffee beans. The nose is punctuated by the classic whiskey aroma that really sets this beer apart from other bourbon barrel aged stouts.

Dark malts, dark chocolate, and dark coffee. With a twist. A mellow whiskey flavor with a slight woodiness adds a whole new layer to this beer and compliments the flavors very well. The alcohol heat is far from excessive and can barely be noticed once this beer warms up a bit.

Full bodied with great carbonation, this beer has a decently creamy mouthfeel. The carbonation definitely helps to make this beer drinkable, but the heavy flavor and thick body keep it a sipper.

Unlike the regular Barrel Aged B.O.R.I.S., Royale does not need aging. This beer is most definitely ready to be enjoyed now. Of course, I would be interested to see how aging will change this beer, but it is great how it is now.

4.2/5  rDev +1%

Thanks to Creetoper for sharing this bottle.

A - Black with a thin layer of light brown head.

S - Toasted oak, whiskey and chocolate. Seems to be a good balance of the barrel and the base beer.

T - Toasted oak up front with nice sweet whiskey and vanilla undertones giving way to roast, chocolate fudge and caramel flavours from the base beer. Really good balance of the barrel qualities and the base beer.

M - Medium body. Creamy. Light carbonation.

4.17/5  rDev +0.2%

Pours charcoal black into the snifter glass with a nice mocha head.

Smell- the royal hits the nose first but isn't overwhelming. Bakers chocolate and alcohol follows.

Taste- following the nose really well nice whisky taste throughout the beer with good amounts of chocolate and some fig. A small whiskey/alcohol burn in the end but chocolate dominates the aftertaste.

Overall- I love Hoppin Frogs take on this whiskey barrel stout. Very enjoyable and nice to drink.

4.22/5  rDev +1.4%

Big thanks to my brother from another mother JM03!

I poured the fuck out of this. However, the barrel has stripped the robust BORIS head. Not that that's a bad thing. There's a bit of a filmy dark brown"thing" there, produced with due diligence.

Light woody, slight whiskey, chocolate and intense roasted notes.

Vanilla, light wood, oak, mild whiskey, roast, chocolate. Not hugely forward for the BORIS, but hard to not find this delicious.

Thick, chewy, full bodied and lingering.

While a nice dynamic to the BORIS, I'd be hard pressed to call it necessary. Again, it's still delicious!

4.76/5  rDev +14.4%

a: Jet black pour with a nice fluffy espresso head. About a quarter inch on a mild pour. wonderful and sticky...great lacing here. I actually noticed that this beer stained the glass after I was done drinking it. My glass actually looked brown. Incredible.

s: a kick of sweet caramel/maple with that booze that I love so much from my Canadian whiskey. Notes of cocoa in the back drop and the malty sweetness that I would associate with a big old steaming bowl of oatmeal. Nothing like a shot of whiskey on the side with my breakfast.

t: so much going on here. I had this beer at three separate temperatures. It was the booziest when cold, which I found odd...but loved that I could drink this warm and get little to no heat from it. Oats and barley with hints of sweetness from a maple like flavor. Coffee and cocoa seem to make an appearance, but the special guest is the smooth transition I get into what I wish I could confirm is Crown Royal. it is sweet and warming, but not in the least overpowering (at the warm temperature, it is perfect). I had high expectations on this one and it exceeded. To be fair, though, I could live on Crown. This leaves an incredible aftertaste as well that is of sweet maple and notes of whiskey.

m: thick as thick can be, but oh so silky smooth. This is like butter swirling on the tongue and it coats and hangs around for minutes. molasses in the mouth.

o: My goodness, this is a powerful brew. At the coldest temp, it is boozy enough to make you question the 9.5%. But when warm, you wonder how anyone could complain about the booziness. However, once you are done...don't stand up too fast because I'd wager the 9.5% was a typo. What a bang for your buck on this.

I recommend trying this at several temps...but the flavors really pop around room temp. This is something to be experienced, and a truly miraculous beer. If you like whiskey...grab it. If you love great beer...grab it.

Reviewing the BORIS Royale from Hoppin' Frog Brewery.
Score: 91

Unknown vintage bottle served in a plastic cup and enjoyed the night before Dark Lord Day (04/27/12). Review is from notes.

Appearance: Pours a deep brown, black coffee-like color. 4/5

Smell: Roasted chocolate, brown sugar, coconut, sweet chocolate and a little cherry. 4/5

Taste: Sweet milk chocolate, roast, and a light amount of oak. Cherry flavor on the midpalate. A little bit of whiskey flavor on the back half. Muted coconut throughout. 4/5

Mouthfeel: Medium-plus bodied, no carbonation. Creamy mouthfeel. Roasty, slightly sweet finish. 4/5

Overall: A solid beer, but easily my least favorite of all the BORIS variations. Ironically, this is the hardest to find of those variations. Stick with the BORIS and Barrel Aged BORIS.

Recommendation: Worth trying, but not worth going out of your way to seek this one out when BORIS is readily available year-round for $10.

Pairings: Chocolate ice cream.

Cost: $14.99 for a 22 oz (bomber) bottle.

4.6/5  rDev +10.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

huge thanks to derek for this one, seriously man thank you.

black as night with a huge cream colored head. Lace was so thick I could not see through the glass.

hint of chocolate, some coffee, maybe even some dark fruity smells hidden in there, nice overal aroma. with deep coffee notes starting to come through, black strap molasses and huge licorice and tobacco with touches of vanilla. Roasted, caramel sweetness, The alcohol can definatly be tasted and this is warm going down, yummy.

overall easily my favorite of the boris!

4.45/5  rDev +7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

22 oz bottle, 9.4% abv. Pitch black color. Great looking mocha head holds together pretty well for few minutes.

Roasty malt, and chocolate aroma. Some caramel, and vanilla as well. Nose finishes with some wood, and soft whiskey notes. Maybe a slight hint of dark fruit.

Very roasty up front, with some bittersweet dark chocolate. Soft hints of vanilla. A good amount of wood, and some great whiskey flavors. Finishes dry, with some tannins.

Medium body, approaching full. Lower carbonation. Some warmth from alcohol, but not overwhelming. I like the different dimension the whiskey barrel adds here. Very well done.

Thanks, Arbi.

Pours a dark chocolate brown with a thin collar; carbonation is minimal.

Nose is pretty nice, chocolatey and nutty, integrated whiskey aroma. Good sturdy malt character. Subtle licorice and roast. The roasted nut aroma is really enjoyable here.

Pleasant palate, heavy on the chocolate and caramel with moderate booziness. Sweet, but not cloying. Plenty of roastiness from the base beer, and a little yeasty fruitiness (cherry). The whiskey flavor does taste slightly cheap, but it works alright here. Body is full. Ends with sweet butterscotch and light roastiness. Solid stuff, I'd drink it again.

4.23/5  rDev +1.7%

Massive thanks to Goblinmunkey7 for acquiring this for my birthday. This has been a top want since the beer was announced. My_body_is_ready.jpg

10/13/12

Appearance: Pours black, perhaps even a bit heavier than other iterations of Boris - decent size brown head, fades to a decent ring and some spots of lacing

Smell: Burnt malts and a lovely undercurrent of Crown Royal - dark chocolate, baker's chocolate, with some burnt and roasty coffee - characteristic Crown Royal barrel woodiness and whiskey

Taste: What's this, Crown Royal in my stout? (What? SAY "WHAT" AGAIN) - Dark, roasty, and burnt chocolate malts - dark chocolate, chocolate chips, and burnt coffee - a moderate level of burnt bitterness -burnt brownies and some toffee - the Crown Royal is very obvious and works very well - lots of whiskey, woody, lightly smoky

Mouthfeel: On the light side of heavy, slick and oily, with a woody finish

Overall: Best served with Big Kahuna Burgers

This is what I wanted. I'm not entirely sure why, but I am a fan of Canadian whiskey. I've grown oddly tired of bourbon barrel aged stouts, and I love this novelty of Crown Royal barrels. This wins.

4.45/5  rDev +7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

Received in an person trade at the FFF 15th Party from Misterhops.

A: Wonderful, deep, dark brown. Mocha colored head.

S: Wonderful whiskey and chocolate notes.

T: Immediate taste of Crown Royal. The barrel aging did this one wonders. Then chocolate, toffee and coffee.

M: The whiskey makes this a little thin. The one detractor.

O: Easily the best BORIS! Love it.

4.33/5  rDev +4.1%

Poured from a 22oz bottle acquired at the release, poured into a snifter from another brewery (not sure why telling you which particular one, would make a difference)

A) Pours very dark, black, with a mocha head.

S) light whiskey hints, mild coffee

T) Dominated by wood and alcohol flavors.... The coffee, vanilla and sweet flavors from the standard B.O.R.I.S. are present, but the alcohol is still too hot to really let them shine.

M) Feels fairly viscous, more so than the appearance. The alcohol flavors that are ever present in the taste aren't there in the feel of this one, as in there is no real "burn"

O) In the spirit of full-disclosure, I love bourbon... particularly Blanton's, Booker's, Baker's, etc... and Maker's Mark is a quality stand-by for most bar atmospheres. I can't stomach Jack Daniel's, Jim Beam, or "blended Canadian Whiskeys" such as Seagram's Seven or Crown Royal.... with that said, The "light flavors" of Crown Royal ( that make me avoid it in pure form) make for a great beer. I prefer this over the standard Bourbon-Barrel Aged B.O.R.I.S. variation. Good stuff. My wife and I are questioning the accuracy of the 9.4% ABV after splitting one though!

Again, this was split with my wife, so I would be remiss to not provide her reaction in addition to my own. My wife took a sip, and her exact words were "This is a happy beer" I don't know what that means, as it is from my wife's personal critiquing criteria, but the anger she felt over the amount spent beer shopping that day was at least temporarily calmed.

3.55/5  rDev -14.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

Dark brown pour, small head.

Vanilla and caramel is dominant on the nose. Some chocolate malt aroma.

Prominent flavor of Crown Royal. Reminds me of my greater moments in college. Dates, figs, milk chocolate with an oaky finish. Creamy mouthfeel. The beer is pretty straightforward. Not as decadent as BA BORIS though but it's interesting.

4.43/5  rDev +6.5%

Obtained this at the release. If you check out their photos on fb, I'm THAT guy...the guy who showed up to a craft beer release wearing a blue miller lite hat. What can I say? It's an old comfortable hat that may represent a beer I no longer drink...but why spend my limited income on a new hat when I can spend it on good beer? :)

A. A heavy pour on this beautiful baby got me an inch of head that possesses the color and look of a vanilla cappuccino. The body is as black as pitch, and I detect no traces of light coming through when I hold it up to the light. The head fades slowly, but keeps the top frosted the whole beer through. A little bit of lacing is noted throughout enjoyment.

S. The first smell that I pick up is dark fruit soaked in booze. Digging deeper, I get the delicious scents of coffee, chocolate, roasted malt and a hint of wood for good measure.

T. The dark fruit and malt are up front on this one, and they travel over my tongue lovingly before giving way to whiskey and wood, though it must be noted that the whiskey isn't overpowering, in fact I find it delightfully well balanced. This segues into the coffee and chocolate flavors that give the beer a beautiful ending. A hint of burn sticks with you in the back of your throat, and gets a bit stronger throughout the beer, especially as it warms. This is mellowed by a woody, nutty and chocolatey coffee flavor that persists in your mouth and throat between sips. A strong, enjoyable beer that stays with you.

M. Heavy bodied, but smooth. The carbonation is perfect for helping this beer move along without really making itself a big factor in the mouthfeel. It coats your mouth but isn't sticky, and is honestly the perfect consistency that I could ask for in this style.

O. This has been sitting in my fridge since the release. I was attempting to wait until it had aged 6 months, but temptation got the better of me. This beer really shines to me as one that could make a serious mark in the style. Here's hoping the next release is bigger! Cheers!

4.2/5  rDev +1%

I brought this to a BA Boris tasting to see how it stacked up against the other batches.

A: Pours black with a small brown head, the head fades into a light ring around the glass. The body really clings like oil and leaves a good lace for this style.

S: Smells of chocolate(real fudgy), roasted grains, and light whiskey. This stuff is smelling sweet and well hopped. The whiskey isn't as in your face as the regular BA Boris. Smells smooth and well integrated.

T: This is really like brownie mix with all the chocolaty fudge going on, brownie mix and crown royal. It isn't much of a stretch to tell this is that purple bagged Canadian whiskey, nice and smooth, very nice. Cocoa, vanilla bean, caramel, oats, some dark fruit, and a nice nuttiness can all be found while quaffing this.

M: This has a heavier medium body with light carbonation. Nice and chewy.

O: I was worried about this being crazy boozy, it wasn't at all. I really prefer this to its regular bourbon aged counterpart(except when aged). Just solid, smooth, chocolaty stuff. Well done.

Big thanks to jale for picking this bottle up for me. Served in a SAVOR snifter along with the regular version and BA BORIS.

Pours a nice black color with a short mocha head and a few spots of lacing on the way down. The nose carries quite a bit of bourbon (Canadian whiskey, I suppose) as well as some oak and a fair amount of alcohol. Light vanilla there as well. The flavor is moderately boozy with a good whiskey presence along with some oak and tannin. Light vanilla as it warms. Medium to full body with a creamy texture and light carbonation. Overall, a very well done BA stout.

Thanks to TurdFurgison and spycow for making this happen.

A - Not quite black beer with some red on it, brown head that didn't stick around for long.

S - As Crown Royal is kind of a guilty pleasure of mine, I really enjoy this nose. Nice booze, whiskey and vanilla. Get some chocolate, little toffee, and some roast.

T - Taste is on par with the nose. I enjoy the way the distinctive Crown Royal comes through. It's dominating, but you still get some underlying big stout flavors.

M - Medium bodied with moderate carbonation.

O - Good beer, might appeal more to me than others, but I like where they went with it.

Bottle from goryshkewych, thanks man.
Pours a nice jet black with very little head. Not too carbonated at all, but looks great.
The nose is pretty empty. Almost nothing there at all. To be honest, I just get a bit of booze, and that is all.
Taste is nice and buttery. The whiskey is very mild, and well balanced, while the stout seems pretty basic. I am actually disappointed in this. The stout has nothing behind it. This took me an hour to drink as i kept letting it get warmer and warmer, hoping that it would turn into something more, or at least give me something other than just a light whiskey flavor. It didn't. This simply tasted like a mild watered down whiskey from start to finish for me. I love barrel aged beers, but this just didnt do it for me.

3.3/5  rDev -20.7%

Poured into a Darkness tulip on 8/20/11; shared by schwaeh

Really dark brown; close to black all the way around. Pours a thin head, hot chocolate brown; doesn't last long. Thin ring of retention.

Smells young, fresh and hot. Sweet whiskey and a lot of wood, the latter being more prominent that the former. Roasted coffee with chocolate notes worked in. Vanilla as it warms.

Tastes pretty hot, too. Whiskey is more appreciable than the oak, though. Thick swaths of sweet chocolate; tends to be more burnt than roasted. Faint vanilla. Finishes with a lingering heat and some residual burnt sugar flavors. Lots of deep chocolate.

Full body with a good bit of viscosity. Not overly carbonation, but enough to keep it moving and frisky. Tames over time, becoming smoother.

Overall impression - not bad, but really hot and rough around the edges.

4.25/5  rDev +2.2%

Thanks to Dan for sharing.

A: The beer pours almost black in color with an off-white head.

S: Definitely get some barrel notes on this one. Plenty of booze along with bourbon and vanilla, a touch of oak, too. Sweet caramel and molasses along with a touch of licorice and plenty of roasted malts.

T: Sweet caramel, toffee, and molasses to begin. A bit of brown sugar and licorice add to the sweetness, as do bourbon and vanilla. A light bitterness of roasted malts and a fair amount of oak.

M: Fairly full bodied with a medium carbonation.

O: Really quite nice. One of the best iterations of BORIS thus far.

to view more.