BORIS Royale - Hoppin' Frog Brewery

BORIS RoyaleBORIS Royale

Hoppin' Frog Brewery visit their website
Ohio, United States

Russian Imperial Stout |  9.40% ABV

(Beer added by: jampics2 on 05-26-2011)
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Raters

durwood64

11-16-2011 14:16:01 | More by durwood64
Preismj

4.8/5  rDev +15.4%

a: Jet black pour with a nice fluffy espresso head. About a quarter inch on a mild pour. wonderful and sticky...great lacing here. I actually noticed that this beer stained the glass after I was done drinking it. My glass actually looked brown. Incredible.

s: a kick of sweet caramel/maple with that booze that I love so much from my Canadian whiskey. Notes of cocoa in the back drop and the malty sweetness that I would associate with a big old steaming bowl of oatmeal. Nothing like a shot of whiskey on the side with my breakfast.

t: so much going on here. I had this beer at three separate temperatures. It was the booziest when cold, which I found odd...but loved that I could drink this warm and get little to no heat from it. Oats and barley with hints of sweetness from a maple like flavor. Coffee and cocoa seem to make an appearance, but the special guest is the smooth transition I get into what I wish I could confirm is Crown Royal. it is sweet and warming, but not in the least overpowering (at the warm temperature, it is perfect). I had high expectations on this one and it exceeded. To be fair, though, I could live on Crown. This leaves an incredible aftertaste as well that is of sweet maple and notes of whiskey.

m: thick as thick can be, but oh so silky smooth. This is like butter swirling on the tongue and it coats and hangs around for minutes. molasses in the mouth.

o: My goodness, this is a powerful brew. At the coldest temp, it is boozy enough to make you question the 9.5%. But when warm, you wonder how anyone could complain about the booziness. However, once you are done...don't stand up too fast because I'd wager the 9.5% was a typo. What a bang for your buck on this.

I recommend trying this at several temps...but the flavors really pop around room temp. This is something to be experienced, and a truly miraculous beer. If you like whiskey...grab it. If you love great beer...grab it.

06-06-2011 03:14:28 | More by Preismj
Corburk

4.75/5  rDev +14.2%

01-24-2014 01:36:47 | More by Corburk
Dan3279

4.72/5  rDev +13.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Mind if I have some of your tasty beverage to wash this down with?

I was really excited about this beer the second I heard about this and was very lucky to get a few bottles through a friend who got them at the release.

I gently poured the 22oz bottle into a pint glass to find a body that was black as night with a slight chocolate brown colored head.

The aroma is welcoming and strong. You get a big hit of sweetness with chocolate, and roasted malts with hints of whiskey, coffee and vanilla.

The taste was exceptional (almost as good as a $5 shake). You get all of the flavors of the traditional BORIS but the whiskey is a great touch. The thing that I loved about this beer was that to me the the flavors were so mellow and blended together perfectly. For being a fresh barrel aged beer it didn't have the same "hotness" that others do that haven't been aged. To me it tastes like this beer had been aged for a few years.

The mouthfeel was great, for a heavy beer it was enjoyable to drink. As the beer warmed up the flavors really came out and the beer just got better and better.

Overall this is a great beer and a pure joy to drink. I took my time sipping the beer and really enjoyed it. I really hope that they produce more of this beer in the future I would love to get my hands on a few more bottles.

06-05-2011 22:22:46 | More by Dan3279
adamette

4.68/5  rDev +12.5%

Live Review. Poured from the 22 oz. bomber that I bought at World Wines & LIquor a few weeks ago into a clean, clear pint glass. I recall the price being $12.99 but it might have been as high as $14.99. No observed “best by” date but a silver sticker with “Cleveland Beer Week Special Release” printed on it indicates that it is probably about a month old. That means that it likely has about another 5 years (or more) on it.

A Actually dark brown (!) head over an absolutely oil black body that refuses to allow any light through. I have to give this look high marks. I simply love it! 4.5

S Well, some of the darkest roast malt with whiskey notes. I expected that but I have always appreciated B.O.R.I.S.’s soft, rounded edges to the smell, taste and it looks like I will not be disappointed here. 4.5

T Simply love the taste of the dark roast malt, whiskey caramel notes and again, the smoothness that is not common in this style. This is a great, great beer that I cannot think of how I would improve it. 5.0

M Smooth as could be expected for such a big beer with the elevated ABV %. Really, it slips past your mouth so easily. I cannot think of how I might improve the feel and maintain the taste. 5.0

D/O Drinkability is where the beer suffers a bit since it is so huge, such elevated ABV but it really was soooo easy to drink, believe me! Overall this is a world class beer in my opinion. 4.0

Notes: I am proud to assign an A+ to this beer. Recommended to anyone reading this review!

11-22-2011 02:41:29 | More by adamette
FosterJM

4.63/5  rDev +11.3%

800th Review on BA
Bottle to Snifter
22oz
2011 Release

HUGE thank you to GuruDel for grabbing a bottle in trade for me!!! Such a Crown fan had to have one of these

App- An extremely dark brown, almost to an inky black color. Even if it was brown, it was void of color or accent coloration. A very fast receding one finger head with out a lot of lace or cling. As it fell, left an outer ring of bubbles with a bit of whispy notes on top.

Smell- When you first stick your nose in the glass you are greeted with a big stout and a lot going on. Hard to find the little nuances but some are there. It of course had the whisky, the chocolate and some roast. Decerable I think was a little of the oatmeal.

Taste- A beautiful mix of a perfect balance of chocolate, roast and whiskey. When you first take a sip it has that biting whiskey and oak note that makes you do that whiskey face like when you were 17 and stole a bottle from your dad. On the backend it greets you with subtle dark chocolate and a little roasted malt note. I have to say this sat in my cellar at 55 for a few months and I think it certainly helped this to mellow out.

Mouth- A medium/full body with a medium/low carbonation feel. The residual flavors are not many, whiskey and roast. Very nice lasting flavors.

Drink- A great treatment to a very well done base beer from OH. This was tempered and smooth at points and biting at others. The whiskey oak barrels worked wonders for me and I was very happy to have a beer like this around for #800. Again, I can't thank GuruDel enough for this one. If you have the chance grab a bottle in trade. You won't be sorry.

09-05-2011 19:15:09 | More by FosterJM
mikesgroove

South Carolina

4.6/5  rDev +10.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

huge thanks to derek for this one, seriously man thank you.

black as night with a huge cream colored head. Lace was so thick I could not see through the glass.

hint of chocolate, some coffee, maybe even some dark fruity smells hidden in there, nice overal aroma. with deep coffee notes starting to come through, black strap molasses and huge licorice and tobacco with touches of vanilla. Roasted, caramel sweetness, The alcohol can definatly be tasted and this is warm going down, yummy.

overall easily my favorite of the boris!

07-22-2011 01:55:40 | More by mikesgroove
stakem

4.55/5  rDev +9.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.5

Big thanks to jaymesbawned for picking this up for me.

Before I even open the bottle, I'm loving this beer. The label and notation on the side is priceless. Shared with Slatetank and wishuwerebeer, poured into a DFH snifter. This brew is black, a fine ring of lighter brown clarity is seen through the edge when the brew is held to the light. A finger of rich, creamy tan head appears and slowly fades to a ring that holds around the edge of the glass. Some spotty lacework clings to the glass.

The smell of this brew is cocoa sweetness somewhat reminescent of brownie batter. Rich in chocolate with hints of sweet vanilla and coconut that is lightly toasted with an increasing amount of wooden scents. Some tangy whiskey elements come through the back imparting a bit of a fruit scent. As the brew warms, the alcohol presence gets increasingly more bold to the point of being fusel.

The taste is infused with whiskey to spirit spiked alcohol burn. Rich cocoa batter mixes with a woodsy element and some fruity alcohol esters. There is a contrasting herbal hop element which faintly makes it's presence known. Plenty of rich chocolate character mixes with the alcohol on multiple levels to create a deep layering of enjoyable flavors. The aftertaste leans more on the oak aspect than through the body with a lingering taste left in the mouth that isnt quite roasted yet delicious in a chocolate caramel or toffee sort of way.

This is a full bodied brew that is chewy and creamy. Very smooth feel despite it's modest level of carbonation. The alcohol is bold yet well integrated in flavor. If you are sensitive to alcohol burn in a beer, I'd suggest serving this one a little cooler so the alcohol doesn't come out quite as quick. Color me impressed with this beer. It packs a punch seemingly harder than 10% but I loved it. I'm a sucker for a well made barrel aged stout, this one is fantastic. With a base like Boris, I'm pretty sure Hoppin Frog could age this beer in used gym socks and it would still be awesome. I wish I had more of this.

06-15-2011 14:18:56 | More by stakem
Slatetank

4.55/5  rDev +9.4%

I am very appreciative to stakem via jaymesbawned for the chance to try this at Stakem's during a recent collaborative brew session at his house. The beer was poured into two DFH Signature glasses chilled from the bomber.

This is one viscous looking brew -very rich and black with an opacity not many can rival with thick quickly condensing medium brown cap with a tiny bead. The head condenses to a ring, but revives when swirled and the lace clings in a spotty sort of random way. The smell is heavenly! it is not just dark cocoa and vanilla, no it is more than that: deep layers of chocolate truffles and sweet caramel cream with the vanilla refusing to relax yet adding to the complexity with a nice deep odor of whiskey to augment the malt smell yet not completely overtake it. The light wood and alcohol scents round the aroma out nicely and aid the mild floral notes in the vanilla quality of the barrel scent. I think the feel is the only area I was impressed by but not knocked out with since it is full yet the alcohol does creep up slightly and a good amount of malt, yet the whiskey creates a lasting alcohol impression even though the bitterness of the hops delivers a nice complexity and balance. I enjoyed the way the body shields the complete force of the alcohol and the drying effect is not as much as it could be. This is not a cloying overly sweet beer even though it has a big malt presence.

This Stout is excellent in so many ways. The initial cocoa and malt flavors with deep vanilla and caramel elements are a great entry point which is just enough window for the barrel flavors to emerge alongside them and spread out with a serious smooth vanilla flavor that washes and seems interwoven with the stout base. A silky element that is whiskey flavored at times and at others some spice elements dominate. The dark maltiness of the brew adds a light bitter component that never really subsides, but yet compliments the hop flavor well and delivers a very cocoa-like quality that gives a sufficent support to the vanilla tinges from the barrel. I love how the flavors are so intense yet don't seem disjointed at all, they work well together as the canadian whiskey becomes a little more prominent in the taste near cellar temperature. I was so pleased I had to savor this one for a while -possibly the best version of Boris I have had yet, just a plethora of stout and whiskey barrel flavors to get lost in.

06-13-2011 16:24:08 | More by Slatetank