BORIS Royale - Hoppin' Frog Brewery

BORIS RoyaleBORIS Royale

Hoppin' Frog Brewery visit their website
Ohio, United States

Russian Imperial Stout |  9.40% ABV

(Beer added by: jampics2 on 05-26-2011)
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Raters

01-09-2012 12:16:40 | More by ObeMaltKinobee
Huhzubendah

District of Columbia

4.5/5  rDev +8.2%

Bottle shared by Thorpe429. Thanks Mike!

Served alongside B.O.R.I.S. & Barrel-Aged B.O.R.I.S.

All three variants had remarkably similar appearances: deep, dark black with a thin beige cap, and fairly low carbonation.

The aroma brings a more potent whiskey scent than the Barrel-Aged B.O.R.I.S., with a similar roasted malt profile.

Terrific flavor. I am a huge fan of this beer, as well as the other two variants. In addition to the whiskey and barrel flavors, notes of oak, vanilla, and chocolate blend beautifully into the beer.

The feel is creamy and smooth, with subtle heat in the finish to tie it all together.

Great beer. Recommended.

sbricker

12-26-2011 02:04:45 | More by sbricker
Bierguy5

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

22 oz bottle, 9.4% abv. Pitch black color. Great looking mocha head holds together pretty well for few minutes.

Roasty malt, and chocolate aroma. Some caramel, and vanilla as well. Nose finishes with some wood, and soft whiskey notes. Maybe a slight hint of dark fruit.

Very roasty up front, with some bittersweet dark chocolate. Soft hints of vanilla. A good amount of wood, and some great whiskey flavors. Finishes dry, with some tannins.

Medium body, approaching full. Lower carbonation. Some warmth from alcohol, but not overwhelming. I like the different dimension the whiskey barrel adds here. Very well done.

01-06-2012 00:05:35 | More by Bierguy5
camil1mj

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

Received in an person trade at the FFF 15th Party from Misterhops.

A: Wonderful, deep, dark brown. Mocha colored head.

S: Wonderful whiskey and chocolate notes.

T: Immediate taste of Crown Royal. The barrel aging did this one wonders. Then chocolate, toffee and coffee.

M: The whiskey makes this a little thin. The one detractor.

O: Easily the best BORIS! Love it.

11-19-2011 15:00:45 | More by camil1mj
CFHMagnet

4.45/5  rDev +7%

Obtained this at the release. If you check out their photos on fb, I'm THAT guy...the guy who showed up to a craft beer release wearing a blue miller lite hat. What can I say? It's an old comfortable hat that may represent a beer I no longer drink...but why spend my limited income on a new hat when I can spend it on good beer? :)

A. A heavy pour on this beautiful baby got me an inch of head that possesses the color and look of a vanilla cappuccino. The body is as black as pitch, and I detect no traces of light coming through when I hold it up to the light. The head fades slowly, but keeps the top frosted the whole beer through. A little bit of lacing is noted throughout enjoyment.

S. The first smell that I pick up is dark fruit soaked in booze. Digging deeper, I get the delicious scents of coffee, chocolate, roasted malt and a hint of wood for good measure.

T. The dark fruit and malt are up front on this one, and they travel over my tongue lovingly before giving way to whiskey and wood, though it must be noted that the whiskey isn't overpowering, in fact I find it delightfully well balanced. This segues into the coffee and chocolate flavors that give the beer a beautiful ending. A hint of burn sticks with you in the back of your throat, and gets a bit stronger throughout the beer, especially as it warms. This is mellowed by a woody, nutty and chocolatey coffee flavor that persists in your mouth and throat between sips. A strong, enjoyable beer that stays with you.

M. Heavy bodied, but smooth. The carbonation is perfect for helping this beer move along without really making itself a big factor in the mouthfeel. It coats your mouth but isn't sticky, and is honestly the perfect consistency that I could ask for in this style.

O. This has been sitting in my fridge since the release. I was attempting to wait until it had aged 6 months, but temptation got the better of me. This beer really shines to me as one that could make a serious mark in the style. Here's hoping the next release is bigger! Cheers!

08-10-2011 16:38:40 | More by CFHMagnet
superspak

4.43/5  rDev +6.5%

22 ounce bottle into snifter, no bottle date but I got this on the first release back in May of this year. Pours thick black color with a small dark tan head with good retention that reduces to a thin cap that lasts. Small bits of lacing clinging to the glass as well. Aromas of big vanilla, caramel, toffee, dark chocolate, roasted malt, and whiskey. Great aromas here with good balance and strength. Not as bourbon forward as the normal BA BORIS. Taste of big dark chocolate, caramel, toffee, roasted malt, vanilla, oak, and whiskey. Fair amount of bitterness on the finish; with lingering notes of chocolate, caramel, vanilla, whiskey, and oak on the finish for a while. Low-moderate carbonation and full bodied; with a very creamy and slick mouthfeel. Alcohol is fairly well hidden with only a large warming present after the finish. Alcohol definitely cleans the palate in this case and makes this not cloying at all with the lush body. Great drinkability but it is still a sipper. Overall this is a fantastic barrel aged imperial stout. Great balance of flavor, highly enjoyable, and a lush mouthfeel that has me wanting another sip.

12-08-2011 03:56:07 | More by superspak
MbpBugeye

4.4/5  rDev +5.8%

Hoppin' Frog Brewery's Barrel-Aged Bodacious Oatmeal Russian Imperial Stout Royale, or BORIS Royale for us nerds, or just Royale for us with no life. This is an introduction to a beer that, by now, needs no further introduction. Aged in Crown Royal barrels with obnoxiously overdone Pulp Fiction references added.

Purchased on my behalf by Proxy889. Poured into a Jackie O's snifter, just to keep it Ohio.

Appearance
Boris always pours velveteen. His foam always rises slowly to a dense cap. A few rings of lace are always left, clinging to the side of your favorite snifter. His blackened body is always as welcoming as it is foreboding. It seems Boris retains his class, even when speaking with a northern accent, eh?

Aroma
I've never known a Canadian who could sweet talk me like Boris's cousin. Candied stanzas of cordial cherries waft forth, like an aphrodisiac. Things only get hotter as the beer gets warmer. Long draws of whiskey worn oak soften an alcoholic blow. Indeed a whiskey-forward aroma, but quite the dessert of a presentation.

Taste
Having been wined by an admittedly corny, denim-clad Boris, I'm ready to be dined. Generous with the alcohol, Boris is lookin' for some action tonight. The sweetness of the aroma leads in nicely to the flavor, however. We skip right to the final course, coffee with cherry-chocolate torte. A rich black forest mousse builds a platform, hoisting maraschino cherries to taste buds. Things end with an after dinner cocktail, based on a stiff whiskey.

Mouthfeel
Uhh, I think the date analogies should end before I get to the category titled "Mouthfeel", for everyone's sake. And I can't handle anymore "that's what she said" BMs than I already get, so let's bring this review to a happy ending, before I make a mess of things. I mean I don't want to open anything I can't handle. And let's face it, I've already made this thing too long already. Soooo...
The mouthfeel remains very Hoppin' Frog. Big, buff, studly and stout. A mouthfeel as silken as the flavor and aroma, and maybe even more so. Carbonation is low, and I can even say fleeting. I'm nearing the end of my first glass and its at about nil. So as tempted you might be to swirl up this amazing aroma, tread lightly, lest you wind up with an under carbonated second half. The finish is fertile, supple and nowhere near dry, allowing for the creamy feel to linger as long as the boozy, chocolate laden aftertaste.

Overall
I don't know why, but I had low expectations for this beer. I guess, despite being proven wrong many times, that I think aging a beer in a different barrel won't yield interesting results. Well this will be the last time I reside in that opinion. This one is stunningly unique and miles apart from Boris and his cousin from Kentucky. Whooda thunk, the canook is the most resolved of the family tree.

Seek this out! I'm not just saying that because I'm and Ohioan, I don't have any for trade and I'm sad.

06-03-2011 04:25:21 | More by MbpBugeye
InebriatedJoker

4.4/5  rDev +5.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

They call it "Royale with wood"

Poured from bottle into pint goblet -No best by date visible -*( picked up today at release pretty sure it's fresh)

A: Poured as black as Jules hair from Pulp Fiction - one finger head that dissipated into a thin tan lacing,good carbonation.

S:Deep roasted malts with slight whiskey,chocolate hints.

T: Dark bitter coffee with deep roasted malts, bakers chocolate, hints of molasses,slight warming whiskey hints,some wood chip taste as well.

O: Overall this one hit the spot -The whiskey hints were present but by no means overpowering,very smooth and mellow -The coffee and chocolates were well blended and balanced , very well made RIS - easy to drink.

Side note -I love the Pulp Fiction twist they put on the lable the frog with Jules hair and mustache and the beer discription is classic.

Fortunate is he,who in the name of brewing and good beer,shepherds the weak through the valley of macrobrews. For he is truly his brothers keeper,and the finder of lost taste buds.
AND I WILL STRIKE DOWN UPON THEE WITH GREAT VENGENCE AND FURIOUS ANGER THOSE WHO ATTEPT TO POISON AND DESTROY MY BEER. AND YOU WILL KNOW MY NAME IS B.O.R.I.S WHEN I LAY MY FLAVORS UPON YOU.

05-27-2011 00:12:29 | More by InebriatedJoker
prototypic

4.33/5  rDev +4.1%

Boris Royale pours a pitch black color. Looks onyx and ominous. No light cuts through at all. A very thin collection of dark mocha colored bubbles collects on the surface. They disappear quickly and leave a very thin, spotty lacing behind. Love the color!

The nose is impressive. It’s very malty. A mix of chocolate, caramel, and light roasted malts smell delicious. Roasted coffee is also noted. It’s a great complement to the malts. Whiskey is definitely noted, but doesn’t overwhelm the other scents. It seems to have a light to moderate presence. I like that. Light notes of dark fruit and molasses are noted on the tail. Alcohol is definitely there, but doesn’t seem too strong. Smell s good.

The flavor is even more impressive. The malt base alone is excellent. Bittersweet dark chocolate, caramel and subtle roasted notes provide a very sturdy, tasty backbone. Coffee is rather prominent in the mix and really adds an extra dimension to the flavor. As a coffee fan, I love it. Whiskey does have a light to moderate presence, though its effect is big. It drives the flavor up a notch all by itself. Whatever amount of time this was in barrels was just about perfect. There is a light, tangy dark fruit flavor and a touch of molasses on the tail. They’re light though. Alcohol is there, but isn’t warm or hot. Excellent!

The body is on the heavy side of medium. Carbonation is light and soft. It’s definitely nice and smooth. I wouldn’t mind just a tad more body. It’d be damn near perfect with just a bit more. This stuff goes down far too easy for a big stout in any event.

I’ve come to expect that every Hoppin’ Frog beer with some variation of the name “Boris” is going to be damn good. Boris Royale is definitely that. I’m not the biggest Crown Royal fan, but utilizing those barrels certainly worked out well in this instance. The whiskey flavor is an excellent complement to the stout flavors. If you can find a bottle, grab one. It’s pricey, but it’s well worth at least one purchase.

12-31-2011 03:39:02 | More by prototypic
output01x

4.33/5  rDev +4.1%

Poured from a 22 oz. bottle (no date) into a snifter glass.

A strong pour yields a 1 1/2-finger mocha-colored head that slowly recedes to a thick dusting and thick foam ring. The body is nearly perfect black with no traces of color when held to light. Thick lacing attempts to cling to the sides of the glass, but slowly falls from its own weight.

Dark, roasted malt aromas with notes of dark chocolate and burnt coffee beans. The nose is punctuated by the classic whiskey aroma that really sets this beer apart from other bourbon barrel aged stouts.

Dark malts, dark chocolate, and dark coffee. With a twist. A mellow whiskey flavor with a slight woodiness adds a whole new layer to this beer and compliments the flavors very well. The alcohol heat is far from excessive and can barely be noticed once this beer warms up a bit.

Full bodied with great carbonation, this beer has a decently creamy mouthfeel. The carbonation definitely helps to make this beer drinkable, but the heavy flavor and thick body keep it a sipper.

Unlike the regular Barrel Aged B.O.R.I.S., Royale does not need aging. This beer is most definitely ready to be enjoyed now. Of course, I would be interested to see how aging will change this beer, but it is great how it is now.

05-31-2011 06:56:20 | More by output01x
seeswo

4.33/5  rDev +4.1%

Bottle generously shared by levifunk (thanks Levi!)

Pours very dark brown with a small amount of off-white head. Looks about right. Smell is nice and forward with the spirits from the North. Whiskey, oak, roast and chocolate come through. It smells very similar to BA BORIS, but maybe a bit more interesting. The taste is very smooth whiskey, chocolate, oak, roasted malts. Very easy drinking. Comes together really nice even right now. A touch boozy, but it comes off in this beer like that is actually what you want. Not harsh by any means. Medium body, medium carbonation. This beer was enjoyed two weeks after having a full batch 1 - batch 5 BA BORIS vertical. Overall, I think this was the best of the BA BORIS bunch. We may have made a Cuvee that would exceed this beer, but that took a lot of blending across batches to achieve. This seems to have a smoothness to it that the newer batches of BA BORIS don't have, and in the older ones that do have it, there is something else off about it (batch 1, way to oaky, batch 2, totally different recipe - too malty, etc.). Definite winner.

06-13-2011 13:48:38 | More by seeswo
nrbw23

4.33/5  rDev +4.1%

A- Pours a pitch black color with a nice dense brown head. Head has pretty solid retention and leaves some nice layered lacing.

S- I'm picking up darker fruits, quite a bit of booze, wood, and vanilla. Seems like a normal Boris with quite a big kick.

T- Taste is really good. Tons of whiskey action here, with vanilla, dark fruits, coffee and a solid booze to it.

M- Full in body and low carbonation.

O- I'm pretty impressed with this one and this is my favorite of all the Boris brews by far.

07-13-2011 10:56:00 | More by nrbw23
Jparkanzky

4.3/5  rDev +3.4%

Poured from a 22oz bottle acquired at the release, poured into a snifter from another brewery (not sure why telling you which particular one, would make a difference)

A) Pours very dark, black, with a mocha head.

S) light whiskey hints, mild coffee

T) Dominated by wood and alcohol flavors.... The coffee, vanilla and sweet flavors from the standard B.O.R.I.S. are present, but the alcohol is still too hot to really let them shine.

M) Feels fairly viscous, more so than the appearance. The alcohol flavors that are ever present in the taste aren't there in the feel of this one, as in there is no real "burn"

O) In the spirit of full-disclosure, I love bourbon... particularly Blanton's, Booker's, Baker's, etc... and Maker's Mark is a quality stand-by for most bar atmospheres. I can't stomach Jack Daniel's, Jim Beam, or "blended Canadian Whiskeys" such as Seagram's Seven or Crown Royal.... with that said, The "light flavors" of Crown Royal ( that make me avoid it in pure form) make for a great beer. I prefer this over the standard Bourbon-Barrel Aged B.O.R.I.S. variation. Good stuff. My wife and I are questioning the accuracy of the 9.4% ABV after splitting one though!

Again, this was split with my wife, so I would be remiss to not provide her reaction in addition to my own. My wife took a sip, and her exact words were "This is a happy beer" I don't know what that means, as it is from my wife's personal critiquing criteria, but the anger she felt over the amount spent beer shopping that day was at least temporarily calmed.

05-27-2011 02:21:11 | More by Jparkanzky