Barrel Aged Naked Evil - Hoppin' Frog Brewery

Ohio, United States

English Barleywine |  11.30% ABV

Batch 1 - White Cap
Batch 2 - Black Cap

(Beer added by: TMoney2591 on 09-04-2011)

2.03/5  rDev -52.3%

Been a "lurker" on this site for many years, never posted, but had to put this out there because this one isn't making sense. How does this beer rate Exceptional??

This beer is just so sweet, annoyingly cloying, and lacking of any barrel/bourbon characteristics that I just don't get where the high reviews are coming from.

I read the rules for posting, and I am supposed to post some positives. So here goes...a good afterdinner coridal beer, if you will. Small servings with a sweet desert would be very nice (the ladies will even like it, just don't tell them its a beer), age will do nothing but help this beer, will take care of "sweet tooth" fix, high ABV. Got me to post after years lurking on the site!!

I've got 5 more of these overpriced badboys in my cellar, hopefully, hopefully, after 2-3 years drinknig an entire beer will be a palatable experience. As it stands now, this one is tough to finish between two experienced drinkers with cellars of good beer. Half way through it, you just ask yourself "why am i doing this when we have all this other beer we could drink?".

As a barrel age barleywine drinker (my favorite style), i wouldn't take 10 of these for a King Henry, Abaucus/Sucaba, Kuhnhenns, Central Waters, etc... (all personal favorites, and sitting in my cellar). For the price, take your money elsewhere!

2.25/5  rDev -47.2%

So I pretty much confirmed my own stupidity by buying this beer. I told myself not to buy it last year because I know Hopping Frog beers are overpriced for the quality. After reading reviews and hearing the hype I wrestled with the $22 price tag before succumbing to my foolish nature. Ugh. Dark ruby red with absolutely no head, though it was not flat. Aroma of vanilla and whiskey, hint of fruit. The flavor was such a disgusting amount of sugar, cloying, no hints of whiskey, barrel, barleywine. This beer really sucks unless you like overpriced sugary pieces of shit. This is the absolute last bottle of Hopping Frog I will ever taste, pathetic.

2.45/5  rDev -42.5%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2 | overall: 2.5

A: poured with some head that quickly dissipated, copper color, slightly hazy
S: medium nose, rich malt and pronounced whisky barrel aging, perfumy with some heat
T: incredibly cloying and unbalanced, needs to age for quite some time and is probably not attenuated enough, very sweet and very rich (but not in a good way), whisky aging helps temper this somewhat
M: cloying, unbalanced, too sweet

2.5/5  rDev -41.3%

2.75/5  rDev -35.4%

3.08/5  rDev -27.7%

Saw this in my favorite bottle shop and couldn't stop myself from buying it despite the $25 price tag. I'm a big barleywine fan, and this is one I've desperately wanted to try for a while.

A: Nice hazelnut/orangish color. No head to speak of, even the small amount of fizz around the sides of the glass quickly dissipated.

S: Caramel, coconut, marshmallow and some dried fruit smell. Everything in the nose should've been a warning for how sweet this would be. Some alcohol as would be expected given the ABV.

T: Sickeningly sweet. Overwhelmingly sweet. I had planned on splitting this bottle two ways but after a few sips realized how unreasonable that would be. Felt nauseous from how sweet it was after 4-5 oz.

There is some complexity here. Coconut and butterscotch are apparent. It's just so hard to concentrate on subtleties of flavor when there's such a sweet smack in the head right off the bat.

M: Thick and syrupy. The edges of my glass were so sticky you'd think I was drinking maple syrup. The mouth feel is not good, but not absolutely terrible. Very small sips aren't entirely unpleasant.

O: This is a huge disappointment to me. I wanted to love this beer, and I certainly paid more money for it than I'm comfortable with. I think this could benefit from some more nuanced blending. There was literally no bitterness at all, and I thought that was a serious flaw. There are definitely much better BA Barleywines out there.

3.1/5  rDev -27.2%

Pours a fairly light amber color without much head. Smells like bourbon, vanilla, toffee, and a shitload of alcohol. Taste is far from nuanced or subtle. My mou is blasted with hot alcohol, way too much sugar, and some bourbon, vanilla and toffee. If King Henry represents the ultimate in big, yet smooth, refined and complex BA barleywines, I put this at the opposite end of the spectrum. Just a slap over the head with a bourbon-soaked plank of sugar cane. I also get a note of Dimetapp (or is it robitussIn?). Body is nice for the style - fairly thick and decent carbonation. Overall, I am disappointed by is beer. Super expensive for the quality. Not recommended for those who demand a lot from an expensive BA barleywine.

3.3/5  rDev -22.5%

Appearance: Clear red-hued caramel with some.light browns. No head. Tiny, miniscule white collar. No carbonation. Very still.

Smell: Caramel sweetness. Biscuity, breast, and sweet without being over the top. Mild hints of oak and vanilla smooth out the edges. Almost toffee sweetness in the back. Bread crust and sugary sweetness. Layers of cooked malts. Vaguely toasted. Caramel and English toffee. Some lingering spiciness.

Taste: Mellow whiskey sweetness. Some vanilla and oak. Layers of cooked malt sugars. English toffee, caramel, and raw.sugar, all minor. Some nice toasted elements. Sharp bite of alcohol. As the beer warms the sweetness kicks up. Bigger pushes of toffee and even some.brittle. Lots of cooked, overcooked malts. Layers of sweetness. Nice touch of bourbon on the back. Very much reminds me of candy.

Mouthfeel: No carbonation on a smooth medium body. Some pushes toward full but it never reaches it.

Overall: Frog? Frog? Frooogggg!

Naked Evil is a far better codename than Sweet Evil. The depth missing from the base is present in this version. Loaded with depth, but ultimately too sweet. Better.

3.38/5  rDev -20.7%
look: 3 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3.5

Chilled bottle into a glass. Courtesy of JeepCop. Thanks, Dale.

Split with the fiancee during my annual St. Paddy's Day tradition of getting shitfaced and watching The Boondock Saints.

A: Pours a clear, chestnut body with a light tan heady that dissipates quickly.

S: Toasted red apples, reminding me of cider. A touch of black pepper, banana, and toffee. Interesting. It's lightly buttery, along with whisky, vanilla, and oak.

T: This is heavily on the sweet side, and that spiced apple flavor I picked up in the nose is prominent on the initial taste. Must be something from the Belgian yeast. Nonetheless, there are more 'traditional' barleywine flavors of toffee and caramel. Some butter. Vanilla, whisky, and oak are quite strong in the finish, along with a lingering pepper bite.

M: This is sweet, with some sugar burn in the finish. I mistook it for acid reflux and took a Tums, which didn't help. Turns out it was the beer all along. On the plus side, it disguises the booze pretty well.

O: This is so sweet that my fiancee, who cherishes sweet beers, actually asked me to switch to a drier style for the evening. It's not a bad beer, but it was definitely a chore to split the bottle two ways. Score one for diabeetus. I didn't hate it, but I'm a little surprised to see so much chatter about it being tops for the style. In my book, it's not a contender.

EDIT: I had this again later at a tasting and appreciated it much, much more. I speculated that it might be bottle variation and received some agreement from others who had encountered different bottles. I'd probably give that one a 4.3.

3.49/5  rDev -18.1%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Not sure why everyone regards this one as highly as they do, nor why its considered an english barleywine. It says right on the label Belgian Style Barleywine style. Lets think outside the box and style guidlines and ponder what that would really mean.... imo a quadrupel. Especially given the description on the label...which despite it not being a Belgian brewery, I have a good feeling they are subtlely refering to LA Trappe when they speak of a Belgian style strong, maly beer, aged on oak.

Oddly enough, the night before having this beer, I had a bottle of LA Trappe Oak Aged...and I have to say aside from the vanilla presence from the bourbon barrel aging, this beer was pretty much a dead ringer for a clone of La TRappe Quad. Cloying, strong fruitiness, booze, dark fruits, spices, sugar, basically a smooth but big sugar bomb.

So my verdict on this one; happy to have had it, but its over rated and wrongly labelled. If you like your beers big and sweet, this ones for you.

Barrel Aged Naked Evil from Hoppin' Frog Brewery