Barrel Aged Naked Evil - Hoppin' Frog Brewery

Batch 1 - White Cap
Batch 2 - Black Cap
Ratings: 604 | Reviews: 161
2.03/5  rDev -52.3%

Been a "lurker" on this site for many years, never posted, but had to put this out there because this one isn't making sense. How does this beer rate Exceptional??

This beer is just so sweet, annoyingly cloying, and lacking of any barrel/bourbon characteristics that I just don't get where the high reviews are coming from.

I read the rules for posting, and I am supposed to post some positives. So here goes...a good afterdinner coridal beer, if you will. Small servings with a sweet desert would be very nice (the ladies will even like it, just don't tell them its a beer), age will do nothing but help this beer, will take care of "sweet tooth" fix, high ABV. Got me to post after years lurking on the site!!

I've got 5 more of these overpriced badboys in my cellar, hopefully, hopefully, after 2-3 years drinknig an entire beer will be a palatable experience. As it stands now, this one is tough to finish between two experienced drinkers with cellars of good beer. Half way through it, you just ask yourself "why am i doing this when we have all this other beer we could drink?".

As a barrel age barleywine drinker (my favorite style), i wouldn't take 10 of these for a King Henry, Abaucus/Sucaba, Kuhnhenns, Central Waters, etc... (all personal favorites, and sitting in my cellar). For the price, take your money elsewhere!

2.32/5  rDev -45.5%

So I pretty much confirmed my own stupidity by buying this beer. I told myself not to buy it last year because I know Hopping Frog beers are overpriced for the quality. After reading reviews and hearing the hype I wrestled with the $22 price tag before succumbing to my foolish nature. Ugh. Dark ruby red with absolutely no head, though it was not flat. Aroma of vanilla and whiskey, hint of fruit. The flavor was such a disgusting amount of sugar, cloying, no hints of whiskey, barrel, barleywine. This beer really sucks unless you like overpriced sugary pieces of shit. This is the absolute last bottle of Hopping Frog I will ever taste, pathetic.

2.45/5  rDev -42.5%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2 | overall: 2.5

A: poured with some head that quickly dissipated, copper color, slightly hazy
S: medium nose, rich malt and pronounced whisky barrel aging, perfumy with some heat
T: incredibly cloying and unbalanced, needs to age for quite some time and is probably not attenuated enough, very sweet and very rich (but not in a good way), whisky aging helps temper this somewhat
M: cloying, unbalanced, too sweet

3.1/5  rDev -27.2%

Pours a fairly light amber color without much head. Smells like bourbon, vanilla, toffee, and a shitload of alcohol. Taste is far from nuanced or subtle. My mou is blasted with hot alcohol, way too much sugar, and some bourbon, vanilla and toffee. If King Henry represents the ultimate in big, yet smooth, refined and complex BA barleywines, I put this at the opposite end of the spectrum. Just a slap over the head with a bourbon-soaked plank of sugar cane. I also get a note of Dimetapp (or is it robitussIn?). Body is nice for the style - fairly thick and decent carbonation. Overall, I am disappointed by is beer. Super expensive for the quality. Not recommended for those who demand a lot from an expensive BA barleywine.

3.16/5  rDev -25.8%

Saw this in my favorite bottle shop and couldn't stop myself from buying it despite the $25 price tag. I'm a big barleywine fan, and this is one I've desperately wanted to try for a while.

A: Nice hazelnut/orangish color. No head to speak of, even the small amount of fizz around the sides of the glass quickly dissipated.

S: Caramel, coconut, marshmallow and some dried fruit smell. Everything in the nose should've been a warning for how sweet this would be. Some alcohol as would be expected given the ABV.

T: Sickeningly sweet. Overwhelmingly sweet. I had planned on splitting this bottle two ways but after a few sips realized how unreasonable that would be. Felt nauseous from how sweet it was after 4-5 oz.

There is some complexity here. Coconut and butterscotch are apparent. It's just so hard to concentrate on subtleties of flavor when there's such a sweet smack in the head right off the bat.

M: Thick and syrupy. The edges of my glass were so sticky you'd think I was drinking maple syrup. The mouth feel is not good, but not absolutely terrible. Very small sips aren't entirely unpleasant.

O: This is a huge disappointment to me. I wanted to love this beer, and I certainly paid more money for it than I'm comfortable with. I think this could benefit from some more nuanced blending. There was literally no bitterness at all, and I thought that was a serious flaw. There are definitely much better BA Barleywines out there.

3.33/5  rDev -21.8%

Appearance: Clear red-hued caramel with some.light browns. No head. Tiny, miniscule white collar. No carbonation. Very still.

Smell: Caramel sweetness. Biscuity, breast, and sweet without being over the top. Mild hints of oak and vanilla smooth out the edges. Almost toffee sweetness in the back. Bread crust and sugary sweetness. Layers of cooked malts. Vaguely toasted. Caramel and English toffee. Some lingering spiciness.

Taste: Mellow whiskey sweetness. Some vanilla and oak. Layers of cooked malt sugars. English toffee, caramel, and raw.sugar, all minor. Some nice toasted elements. Sharp bite of alcohol. As the beer warms the sweetness kicks up. Bigger pushes of toffee and even some.brittle. Lots of cooked, overcooked malts. Layers of sweetness. Nice touch of bourbon on the back. Very much reminds me of candy.

Mouthfeel: No carbonation on a smooth medium body. Some pushes toward full but it never reaches it.

Overall: Frog? Frog? Frooogggg!

Naked Evil is a far better codename than Sweet Evil. The depth missing from the base is present in this version. Loaded with depth, but ultimately too sweet. Better.

3.37/5  rDev -20.9%
look: 3 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3.5

Chilled bottle into a glass. Courtesy of JeepCop. Thanks, Dale.

Split with the fiancee during my annual St. Paddy's Day tradition of getting shitfaced and watching The Boondock Saints.

A: Pours a clear, chestnut body with a light tan heady that dissipates quickly.

S: Toasted red apples, reminding me of cider. A touch of black pepper, banana, and toffee. Interesting. It's lightly buttery, along with whisky, vanilla, and oak.

T: This is heavily on the sweet side, and that spiced apple flavor I picked up in the nose is prominent on the initial taste. Must be something from the Belgian yeast. Nonetheless, there are more 'traditional' barleywine flavors of toffee and caramel. Some butter. Vanilla, whisky, and oak are quite strong in the finish, along with a lingering pepper bite.

M: This is sweet, with some sugar burn in the finish. I mistook it for acid reflux and took a Tums, which didn't help. Turns out it was the beer all along. On the plus side, it disguises the booze pretty well.

O: This is so sweet that my fiancee, who cherishes sweet beers, actually asked me to switch to a drier style for the evening. It's not a bad beer, but it was definitely a chore to split the bottle two ways. Score one for diabeetus. I didn't hate it, but I'm a little surprised to see so much chatter about it being tops for the style. In my book, it's not a contender.

EDIT: I had this again later at a tasting and appreciated it much, much more. I speculated that it might be bottle variation and received some agreement from others who had encountered different bottles. I'd probably give that one a 4.3.

3.49/5  rDev -18.1%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Not sure why everyone regards this one as highly as they do, nor why its considered an english barleywine. It says right on the label Belgian Style Barleywine style. Lets think outside the box and style guidlines and ponder what that would really mean.... imo a quadrupel. Especially given the description on the label...which despite it not being a Belgian brewery, I have a good feeling they are subtlely refering to LA Trappe when they speak of a Belgian style strong, maly beer, aged on oak.

Oddly enough, the night before having this beer, I had a bottle of LA Trappe Oak Aged...and I have to say aside from the vanilla presence from the bourbon barrel aging, this beer was pretty much a dead ringer for a clone of La TRappe Quad. Cloying, strong fruitiness, booze, dark fruits, spices, sugar, basically a smooth but big sugar bomb.

So my verdict on this one; happy to have had it, but its over rated and wrongly labelled. If you like your beers big and sweet, this ones for you.

3.53/5  rDev -17.1%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Thanks to Paul for the bottle. Opened this at a blind barrel aged barleywine tasting. It ranked somewhere in the middle.

Appearance: Clear tawny with medium-light carbonation. The head dissipates quickly.

Smell: Incredibly sweet, with a strong Belgian yeast character. The yeast profile isn't dominant against the bourbon barrel and the toasty, grainy malt bill, but it's plainly noticeable, lending some bubblegum and spice. Barrel contributes a rich caramel and maple syrup backbone, and the foundation doesn't seem to be lacking sweetness either. There's a bit of oxidation in the form of dark fruit, which works very nicely against the richness of the malt and barrel. It smells good, but I don't love what the Belgian yeast adds to this style.

Taste & mouthfeel: Syrupy sweet. Maple syrup, brown sugar and bubblegum. Normally I hate any trace of bubblegum in beer, but it's subtle and inoffensive here. A decent amount of oak and brown malt, dark fruit, grape and plum. Borderline too sweet - this has a sugary, boozy burn going down. I feel like this has the same level of residual sugar as many of The Bruery's 18%+ ABV beers, only this isn't nearly as strong or full-bodied. It's not a thin beer, but it could use more heft for the level of sweetness.

Overall: Good, but not great. Too sweet, and I'm not thrilled by the yeast profile. It's still a pleasure to drink and ranks as one of the best beers I've had from this brewery.

3.53/5  rDev -17.1%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

bottle

A: brownish orange body with a small film of tan bubbles

S: very sweet smelling vanilla, caramel, toffee, whiskey,

T: Follows the nose. extremely sweet, some vanilla-a touch of oak. alcohol..some heat..but the overall sweetness made it difficult for some of the flavors to shine through

M: Sticky medium body. a tad thin,

O: I thought it was pretty good at first, but by 4 or 5 ozs the sweetness took over and thats all I could get out of it..by the end I wasn't enjoying it so much...almost cloying sweet..def. not worth the price tag. this beer isn't remotely close to the top barlywines like abacus and MoaS..IMO

3.54/5  rDev -16.9%

Sampled at a tasting this past weekend courtesy of BTPete I believe.

Pours a thick orange/copper color with almost no head. It doesn't leave any lacing down the glass.

Aromas are quite sweet and sugary. Initially reminds me of FunFetti Vanilla Icing. There's light bourbon and sweet pale/biscuity maltiness that diminate. As it warms I get some lesser brown sugar maltiness and Belgian yeast notes highlighted by caramelized bananas.

The teaste begin really sweet; highlighted by caramelized maltiness mixed with sweet candy sugar, sugar cookies, vanilla and light toffee. Light breadiness and fruity/banana yeast flavors in the background but this is a cloyingly sweet beast that is rough on the palate for me.

The mouthfeel is medium-full bodied with low carbonation. Finish is slick, sweet and syrupy.

Overall this was a miss for me and I cannot understand the high ratings on BA right now. I can appreciate how a fresh Barleywine like this has little to no alcohol but it's just a sweet, cloying mess in my opinion. Definitely not worth the

3.56/5  rDev -16.4%

A: pour a brownish orange with ruby tints, almost no head formation, no lacing, minimal carbonation.

S: a sweet mess. I get huge, banana bread notes with some bourbon and vanilla. Not really much going on other than previously mentioned.

T: big ass sweet toffee and bourbon dominate the palate. Secondary notes include a caramel/maple, slight burnt sugar, vanilla, Belgian yeast, some banana bread notes, alcohol and again I get some bubble gum. Quite complex, but don’t find the brew all that balanced. But still enjoyable.

M: very full bodied, leaves a burnt sugar film along the front of the teeth… its like syrup

O: this is a decent brew but there is simply no comparison to some of the more hyped up barleywines like KH, Sucaba and DDBA. I find this more more along the lines of Avery Samael’s (big brew, very sweet). A bomber is a massive amount to put down, so I definitely recommend sharing this one. If you like big sweet beers, then this one will be enjoyable, I personally wish that sweetness was turned down a notch. But as the brew warms, it definitely gets more enjoyable as more flavors start to make their presence known.

3.57/5  rDev -16.2%

Batch 2 bottle enjoyed on 8/18/12, served in a Hoppin Frog tulip.

Pour: Clear amber with a small off white head. No lacing, but this beer has serious legs.

Smell: Bourbon, caramel, raisons, fig newtons.

Taste: Chewy fig newtons (im not even kidding). Boozy caramel sweetness. Some raisons. Really, really sweet, erring on the side of too sweet even. Better as it warmed.

Mouthfeel: Pretty easy going down. Super sticky. Not much alcohol presence, but definitely a little. Sweetness is painfully cloying.

Overall: I liked this, but was a little disappointed. For the price, and the taste, I will always prefer Sucaba. This was just WAY too sweet for me.

3.58/5  rDev -16%

2012 vintage poured into tulip glass
Belgian-style Barley Wine-style aged in whiskey barrels
Thanks to BuckeyeDave for the trade.

Appearance: Naked Evil poured a beautiful crimson orange color with a half finger size off white head. It is a fairly clear beer with some small bubbles rising up to the surface. The color very appealing on this one.

Smell: The smells I pick up on this one are caramel, some vanilla, and toffee. This is a sweet smelling beer for sure. I also get the oak smell from the barrels and some spiceness from the whisky and yeast. Maybe some dark fruits on the tail end.

Taste: Wow I'm getting a lot of apples and booze on the initial taste. It is very sweet to the point of possibly overly sweet. I for sure get the yeast characteristics and the whiskey influence in the taste. I taste some of the caramel/toffee but it is so far hidden behind the apple taste it is hard to pick up on. I also do get some alcohol but it is not hot at all and I would say the 11.3% is well integrated in this beer.

Mouthfeel: I have to say I do enjoy the feel on this. It is medium-heavy with little to no carbonation. It is somewhat sticky with no burn at all.

Overall: I will say this did not impress me as much as I thought it would. It is a very good example of the style but not the best I have had. I enjoy the whiskey influence and the yeast addition. These add another dimension to this beer that saves it for me because without these I would not have enjoyed this as much

3.6/5  rDev -15.5%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

Making this review more for me moving forward. Perhaps I should have let it age another year (2012 vintage). Smelled delicious, spot on barley wine. Didn't get the belgian aspect at all. Ultimately, thick and sickly sweet. Ok sipper, but too much / too sweet throughout. Had no noticeable barrel-aged characteristics, the sweetness was overpowering. Looked beautiful though.

3.65/5  rDev -14.3%

Consumed 11/10/12

Cheers to Goblinmukey7 for sharing this beer

Appearance: Deep copper, a red orange in the light - Small, off-white head - fades quickly to a minimal cap, small ring, leaves some streaks of lacing

Smell: Rich malts, yet also light and sweet - chewy caramel and tons of toffee - sweet and lightly sugary, yet not as absurdly sweet as Hoppin' Frog's Sweet Evil - some fruits, fruity esters from the yeast - wood and whiskey barrels - some booze in the background

Taste: Sweet, boozy, yet almost balanced - malt extract, caramel malts, caramelized sugar, molasses, and lots of toffee - light fruits, light bananas and apples - lots of yeasty esters - whiskey and wood - sweet, reminiscent of a raw sugar packet, but not in a gross way

Mouthfeel: Borderline full body, somewhat slick and sticky, minimal carbonation, but it works

Overall: Naked times are good times

For an English Barleywine, this is good. On the sweet side, but it's dramatically more pleasant than Sweet Evil. It's a good sipper, but it's arguable whether it's worth the intense price point.

3.67/5  rDev -13.8%

Had this one twice. Once during a tasting fest and the other last night. Both times I was underwhelmed. It's a very good beer but seems chaotic and not put together too well. It has all of the usuals; caramel, toffee, sweet malt, vanilla and some woodiness. I think it was oxidation that seemed to throw everything into disarray. Boozy, too. A hot sum bitch.

I'm thinking I got into a bad batch, or perhaps storage. Like I said, it has all of the good stuff. There's something missing and I think it's the flow between flavors. Hmmm

3.7/5  rDev -13.1%

Thanks to Treebs for this one...poured into Bell's tulip.

A - Pours a copper color, small white head, thin collar, some bubbles here and there on top.

S - Caramel, oak, burnt sugars, smooth booze. Very sweet and rich and the alcohol is very well-hidden...almost nonexistent.

T - Really really sweet...too sweet for me. Caramel, smooth booze, burnt sugars, slight yeast notes. I like my Barleywine's sweet, but this was a bit over-the-top for me.

M - Medium, good carbonation, creamy sweet finish.

O - While the nose was really nice, I just couldn't enjoy the high level of sweetness in this beer. Like I previously mentioned, I do like my BW's on the sweeter side (less hoppy), but this was too much. Not bad, but I'd rather have something else.

3.74/5  rDev -12.2%

650 mL bottle poured into a snifter.

Appearance - Pours with no head. No bubbles at all. Nearly flat looking. Very clear amber body.

Smell - Wow, apples. Loaded with apple. Whiskey and some caramel in the back, but it's so fruity. Interesting, but not what I expected.

Taste - It takes a while to really come into a decent flavor. As it warms, it tastes much better. Otherwise, it's just apples and booze. The caramel becomes more prominent, but it's not a terribly exciting flavor.

Mouthfeel - Medium-heavy body. Low carbonation. A little syrupy, especially as it warms. It gets sticky sweet. Too sweet.

Overall - I don't expect most of the flavors this one delivers. Super appley. I see why they call it a Belgian-style barleywine, but the Belgian characteristics remove some of the depth of flavor that I seek in a whiskey barrel beer. It doesn't deliver flavors that are that appealing, but it's still good.

3.74/5  rDev -12.2%

22oz bottle from an unlisted source who I can’t remember. I still owe you thanks. (JMRSN, maybe?)

A: Violet brown. No head. Semi-sticky legs.

N: Coconut and white chocolate. Oak character with caramel. Has a very rounded flavor profile.

T: Bubble gum, caramel, white chocolate, and coconut. The oak barrel is subdued, but it is present. The Belgian yeast lends a very sweet candi sugar profile. This does become cloying after a spell.

M: Medium, likely from the yeast. Not bad. Good job on hiding the alcohol.

O: A worthy beer, but, like Imagine from Block 15, it is very much unbalanced. If you like confections, this is your frog.

3.75/5  rDev -12%

This one is a brown color that shows some red when the light shines through its body. It doesn't form much of a head, but does hold up a layer of lightly tanned foam that leaves some thin bubbling behind.
Lots of sweetness comes off the nose, and it's a big malt bomb. There's just a ton of dark fruits (raisin, plum, fig) and brown sugar leading to some rich blackstrap. That's not to say there isn't any hops presence, as some dryer leaf balances it well. The aroma is this beer's best aspect.
The main problem with the flavor in this otherwise excellent beer is that it can't avoid cloying. It's just too sweet and rich without much to cut it, though hops do try. It even gives off something like sugary bubble gum in the middle and ends with some thick fruitcake.
The body alternates confusingly but very interestingly between thick, rich and viscous and thinner, alcohol running in and out on the tongue so it's hard to keep track of. It adds a bit of sting as well, though not harshly. I remains semi-sweet and doesn't run too sweet because of the hoppier elements, mostly, keeping some dryness in it.

3.75/5  rDev -12%

A: Poured a chestnutt color with good carbonation leaving a dirty white cap and some lacing

S: Booze, candy sugar, bourbon, vanilla and caramelized sugars are the standouts

T: First thing I notice is a big sweet, stickiness with candy sugar, booze, caramelized sugars with bourbon, vanilla. Medium way I spy a sherry and cherry taste with hints at dark fruits and bubblegum

M: Sticky sweet, thinner than I expected, boozy, low carbonation and heavy but thin. Lots of sweetness on this leaves me wanting to check my blood sugar. Syrupy, gooey and a bit bitter

O: A pretty good take. Not impressed as the ratings are a a bit inflated. Definitely not the trade demand it drives.

3.76/5  rDev -11.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

A huge thanks to my buddy Aw Yeh for bringing this and splitting it with me. Reviewing from notes from early January. Forgot to put this up for awhile.

Appearance -A thickened, murky amber-orange color with a bit of a purplish hue as well. Very nice bubbly lacing. A very intoxicating/medicinal/mysterious appearance.

Smell – Smells strongly of a traditional barleywine - full of beets, sugar, and natural sweetness.

Taste – An insanely sweet candy taste. Plum and burning hops overtake the undertone of beets. A sweetened alcohol with an oaky-wood background.

Mouthfeel – Sweet, sweet, sweet. Barleywines are not my favorite category, but this one is surely more delicious and palatable than many of its competitors.

3.76/5  rDev -11.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

Batch 2

Pours a dark golden amber color with mahogany edges and a half finger off-white head that immediately settles into a thin, lasting ring. Sporadic spotty lacin left behind.

Sweet, slightly boozy aroma with very subtle barrel notes, leathery malt, candy sugar and dark fruit esters. I was expecting more barrel in the nose but is very faint with minimal oak and spicy whiskey character. Smells more like a regular barleywine/Belgian strong dark ale hybrid with leather and caramel malt sweetness along with toffee, plum, raisin and fig. As it warms, the slickness starts to show but I'm still having trouble picking up the oak and whiskey.

Medium bodied with a blast of sweet booze that lingers over the vinous fruits and sweet and leathery malt back bone into a dry, slightly spicy finish. The barrel presence is much stronger than the nose suggests with subtle toasted oak, vanilla, coconut and spicy whiskey booziness. For all of the alcohol flavor up front, it's actually not all that hot with lots of sweetness and a complex malt backbone balancing things out. It could actually use some more whiskey flavor and heat to counter all of the sweetness. Slightly leathery but the caramel malt, toffee and vinous dark fruit notes overpower almost everything that would suggest barleywine. Slight bubblegum character with hints of grape, raisin, date and plum. Pretty tasty with a well masked ABV but it's intensely sweet and lacking in balance. Also could use more of a spirit/barrel presence for my liking.

3.77/5  rDev -11.5%

Thanks to Treebs for the share. I kept missing out on this one.

A - Copper color beer with an off-white head that didn't leave much on the sides.

S - It smells very, very sweet, like a lot of caramel sweetness. Some vanilla, whiskey, and bourbon. Smells pretty inviting.

T - This is a real sipper, as it's almost cloyingly sweet. I enjoy the caramel, honey, vanilla and whiskey, but have to go slow with this one. Would have liked a little bit more toasty malt or something to break it up. Still solid though.

M - Syrupy, smooth, decent carbonation, kind of heavy.

O - Good beer, too sweet for my liking, but the flavors are good. Would drink again.

Barrel Aged Naked Evil from Hoppin' Frog Brewery