Barrel Aged Naked Evil - Hoppin' Frog Brewery

Beer added by: TMoney2591 on 09-04-2011

Batch 1 - White Cap
Batch 2 - Black Cap
4.5/5  rDev +6.6%

A- Short light tan head on a murky amber beer. Above average head retention, some lacing.

S- Definitely Belgian yeast aroma, "smell reminiscent of a Quad."

T-Fruity, hot from the whiskey -bals but smooth. Complex spiciness. Vanilla notes galore. Well intrigrated alcohol.

M- Full mouthfeel, medium carbonation.

D/O- Having the the same night as MoaS...this is right up there with it because of its uniqueness. If your a fan of Belgians, barrels, and barleywines then this is the beer for you. Thanks a ton 4DAloveofSTOUT!

Serving Type - 22oz bottle

Appearance - Brownish ruby tan, 1/4 white creamy head, some decent lacing.

Smell - Barley, Lots of fruits, some oak, malts, spices, carmal, some vanilla, more bourbon/whiskey aroma. And also hasa distint alcohol smell.

Taste - Well this is something special. Lots of oaked bourbon and carmal nail you at first sip. Lots of sweet fruits like apple, plum, fig and grapes. You can tell this is a big beer, plenty of alcohol warmth in each drink, but theres a load of flavors to balance it out some. The yeast give it the tradmark belgian flavor we all come to know.

Mouthfeel - Alot going on, this will wreck mouth with all the goodness mentioned. The whiskey coats everything in sight, the fruits add sweetness to the tounge, and palette is left sweetened, bittered, and ready for more. Aftertaste is bourbon, yeast, and alcohol warmth.

Overall - Really special. Tons of flavor, fun to drink, espically if you like aged in whiskey barrel beers. This is a big beer, meant to be enjoy on occassion, and with a fan of the style. Fantasic, hope i can find another bottle to age.

look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

A - pours a caramel color without much of a head

S - the nose consists of stick caramel malts, vanilla, and bourbon all mixed together nicely

T - Loads of caramel malts up front. Up next is a nice pop of vanilla from the barrel aged treatment. Whiskey rounds out the palate with more vanilla and some charred oak. These flavors are all very well integrated into the beer and form a really nice tasting beer.

M - full bodied, a little sticky and somewhat dry on the finish

D - awesome barleywine here. The whiskey is really well integrated into the profile and makes for a very enjoyable brew. Recommended if you can get your hands one some, one of the better barleywines I have ever tried.

3.53/5  rDev -16.4%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

A: brownish orange body with a small film of tan bubbles

S: very sweet smelling vanilla, caramel, toffee, whiskey,

T: Follows the nose. extremely sweet, some vanilla-a touch of oak. alcohol..some heat..but the overall sweetness made it difficult for some of the flavors to shine through

M: Sticky medium body. a tad thin,

O: I thought it was pretty good at first, but by 4 or 5 ozs the sweetness took over and thats all I could get out of the end I wasn't enjoying it so much...almost cloying sweet..def. not worth the price tag. this beer isn't remotely close to the top barlywines like abacus and MoaS..IMO

4.33/5  rDev +2.6%

My Glencairn tasting glass was a perfect fit for this job. I pulled the cap off this heavy ale and was greeted with a slight wisp of carbonation gasses. On the pour I went slowly and was left with a thin creamy head. When I hold my glass up to the light there is an array of deep brown and ruby-plum like colors that are pristine and clear. On the viscosity check I gave a generous swirl and noticed a healthy amount of legs sliding down my glass walls ever so slowly.

Wow, this is a huge punch in the face from the bourbon barrel. Initially all I can get is a huge amount of booze and oak from the barrel but as I let this warm up a little bit a load of caramel soaked raisins and burnt brown sugar are pushing through. I am having a hard time trying to pull out any Belgian notes but hey, the barrel is strong on the nose in this one. In the back end some fig flavors are rounding it out and even a slight pipe tobacco aroma.

I have to admit this is one of the most interesting variations I have ever had for the style, but I like it! Right off the start there is a huge kick from the bourbon but it is so much more complex than that. Vanilla, plums, figs, and bready malt is huge in the base. Smooth and warming on the palate and is reminding me of banana foster with some toasted marshmallow. I can see how some people might find this to be a little too sweet for their palate but this is right up my alley on this cold night. In the finish, a hint of bubblegum is poking through which is definitely a component of that Belgian yeast.

Overall this was one killer barley wine! The only thing I’m a little upset about is that this was my only bottle. This is a true sipping ale, and I must admit I’m glad that I lit a fire right before I started this one because they seem to go hand in hand on a cold snowy night like tonight. If you come across this one or have the opportunity to trade for it by all means go for it, because not only is it a limited release, it is fantastic for the style. Well until next time.

3.97/5  rDev -5.9%

A - Poured out a clear, golden copper color with a one-finger, white head of foam. It left sudsy trails of lace on the glass.

S - It smelled of whiskey and sweet caramel.

T - Strong whiskey flavor with sweet caramel and toffee presence. Subtle hop bitterness.

M - It was smooth yet sticky. A full bodied ale with a strong alcohol warmth.

O - This is a very good barrel aged barleywine. A nice rare find from Hoppin' Frog.

4.42/5  rDev +4.7%

Poured from 22oz bomber into snifter

Appearance: Very clear amber with practically no head. Expected for the abv on this monster.

Nose: Lots of caramel notes that meld nicely with the light bourbon aromas. Really looking forward to the taste on this...

Taste: Again, loads of caramel and butterscotch, light bourbon flavors which I really appreciate as they're not overbearing. The abv is present but does not distract from the brew. A wonderful caramel/bourbon/bready concoction.

Very low carbonation on the mouth feel with a medium to medium heavy body. Exactly what I was looking for in this brew.

Probably the best beer I have had from Hoppin' Frog. I real gem. Surprised it drank so smoothly for being relatively fresh but I'm sure this will age nicely. Definitely seek this one out.

4.22/5  rDev 0%

Thank you Jim (RatedZ) for this little surprise, had been holding out on enjoying this for a time when I could enjoy it with my father. Served into Stone Double Bastard tumblers.

A – Pours an amber color, very clear no real haze or floaties, and there is practically no head. This leaves no lacing on the glass at all.

S – A lot of sweet malt up front, a little vanilla, some caramel/toffee/molasses, some whiskey notes that give it a boozy aroma. There is a little oak/earth funk also.

T – The sweetness of this smacks you first with caramel/toffee/molasses, and then a little vanilla, some brown sugar, and then the whiskey just dives in and adds that boozy layer of abrasiveness and pairs well with the earth funk character.

M – Little on the thinner side of the spectrum and the carbonation was very mild but didn’t take away from the overall experience. Also had a little creaminess to the body.

O – This a great barleywine, but better than Abacus (SUCABA) I don’t think so. This comes in 2nd right after Abacus in my book.

4.57/5  rDev +8.3%

Poured from 22oz bottle into Bordeaux glass.

Aroma: Sticky, sweet caramel, honey, apple, vanilla, coconut, a faint clove note, and pineapple upside-down cake. It would be impossible to smell this one without wanting to try it.

Appearance: Crystal-clear copper body. Pours thick, with very minimal fine off-white bubbles. Nice legs drip down the inside of the glass after every sip.

Flavor: Pineapple upside-down cake, carmelized sugar, bourbon, coconut, vanilla, sweet maltiness, and a bit of peppery alcohol at the end.

Mouthfeel: Medium-full, syrupy mouthfeel. Low carbonation. A bit of peppery heat comes through after the finish.

Overall: All the positive buzz I'd heard about this one was definitely true. Very reminiscent of Kuhnhenn's BB4D (one of the best brews I've had this year). It's a little hotter on the finish than ideal. While this brew is a little bit on the pricy side, I'd recommend trying a bottle now, and holding onto one or more to enjoy after a year or two. It would be money well spent.

3.54/5  rDev -16.1%

Sampled at a tasting this past weekend courtesy of BTPete I believe.

Pours a thick orange/copper color with almost no head. It doesn't leave any lacing down the glass.

Aromas are quite sweet and sugary. Initially reminds me of FunFetti Vanilla Icing. There's light bourbon and sweet pale/biscuity maltiness that diminate. As it warms I get some lesser brown sugar maltiness and Belgian yeast notes highlighted by caramelized bananas.

The teaste begin really sweet; highlighted by caramelized maltiness mixed with sweet candy sugar, sugar cookies, vanilla and light toffee. Light breadiness and fruity/banana yeast flavors in the background but this is a cloyingly sweet beast that is rough on the palate for me.

The mouthfeel is medium-full bodied with low carbonation. Finish is slick, sweet and syrupy.

Overall this was a miss for me and I cannot understand the high ratings on BA right now. I can appreciate how a fresh Barleywine like this has little to no alcohol but it's just a sweet, cloying mess in my opinion. Definitely not worth the

3.97/5  rDev -5.9%

Thanks to CaptCleveland for stuffing a box full of Frogs & shipping it to Minnesota. Bomber dumped into a pair of glasses during a lazy Saturday evening on the couch.

Pour is crystal clear ruby red. Interesting to hold it up in front of the TV & see Harry & Sally in a maroon tint. Spare carbonation. Easy on the nose, overdose of sweet, caramel, malts, vanilla/bourbon. All integrated beautifully; the list doesn't quite do the lovely nose justice. Balance is exquisite.

Barrel Aged Naked Evil might have originated in a caramel factory: it's straight-up drenched in melted sugar-coated caramel squares. Vanilla of the brown-sugar variety fades into strong bourbon shot. Sweet. Sweeet. Alcohol heat waves on the downslide, before bubblegum sugar blows everything away. Dentists should give this away to create repeat customers. Flat & heavy, no noticeable carbonation, which doesn't impact the lovely taste any, but it does rest as heavily as three Sonic burgers in the stomach.

Very good beer but yikes, I wonder how many acres of sugar beets went into this bottle. Tasty tasty tasty. Going to brush my teeth thoroughly now to prevent teeth rot.

look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

This one came highly rated by a friend. Thanks to BlessedBeBeer for this one. Poured from a 22oz. bomber into a Southampton oversize snifter. Shared with schen9303.

Long pour yields a .5 finger creamy off-white head with poor retention. Beer is a clear, dark orange amber. Lacing is spotty and sparse with little cling but solid legs. Just above average for the style considering the poor head.

Nose is rich caramel, molasses, and brown sugar. Deep booziness lingers in the background. Very sweet. Vanilla and barrel characteristics are prominent also. Really nice.

Opens rich caramel and molasses. There's a pleasant sweet tartness that comes from the booze. A creamy hop profile sits in the background, happily suppressed by the barrel characteristics. More molasses and brown sugar towards the end with a spicy, hot finish and a sweet, sticky aftertaste. Flavors are very distinct but complement each other perfectly.

Medium bodied with low carbonation. Oily and silky in the mouth and warm and spicy going down with a messy finish and a lingering aftertaste. Super smooth but a touch thin for the style.

A buddy described this as "almost as good as M". I wouldn't say that but this is very very solid in its own right and has tons of aging potential. Rich and complex now with a flavor profile that is perfectly complementary. Definitely one to sit on.

4.79/5  rDev +13.5%

Huge thanks to Bhalter8 for sharing this bottle this evening. Almost didn’t get to try it as we felt we may be overstaying our welcome. After we went upstairs Ben suggested that we stay for one more beer that he wanted to share. Great Call and I am thankful we stayed. This was a treat.

Typical of barleywines, there was not really a head on the beer but only a wisp of foam. The beer was a fairly straight amber color with a little nod of brown. A touch lighter in color than most in the style.

Aroma was really fantastic and became better as the beer opened and warmed. One of the first whiffs reminded me of suntan lotion (positive) and then I realized it was coconut. Lots of oak and no doubt about the presence of whiskey. A moment of vanilla now and again, but really more coconut. Very Nice.

Flavor was very complex and I just loved this. The coconut was again center stage for me. A very complex caramel that played perfectly with the whiskey, oak and coconut notes. As I said to Ben, I would have never picked out the use of some Belgian Yeast had I not known, but there is a great complexity here that I assume is due to the use of some of this yeast.

Silky, rounded and soft mouth feel. A pleasure to drink.

I savored this to the last sip and was so happy we stayed to enjoy this bottle. Ben, many thanks. Excellent beer.

4.04/5  rDev -4.3%

Bomber into a Weyerbacher tulip. Big thanks to Chris for sharing this intriguing brew.

A: Clear, bright orange body with a thin wisp of tan bubbles on top. Ok.

S: Hello barrel! Nothing but sweet vanilla, caramel, toffee, whiskey, and general sweet, boozy awesomeness.

T: Follows the nose. Very sweet, oaky, and vanilla-drenched. Perhaps a bit too sweet, actually - even for the sweetness-friendly style.

M: Sticky medium body. Not quite hefty enough to handle the cloyingness, but not bad at all.

O: I started out absolutely loving this one, but even my ~4oz pour was a chore to drink. Way, way too sweet to enjoy in significant portions. Some hops would have done this one some good.

4.59/5  rDev +8.8%

22oz bomber into a snifter - White Cap Batch #1

A: Pours a dark amber/toffee color with a small offwhite head that fades to a ring and leaves some lacing on the glass.

S: The nose is amazing on this one...huge notes of caramel, toffee, vanilla, buttery whiskey, and oak tannins. My god I could smell this all night.

T: The taste is pretty impressive as well. Big flavors of english toffee, carmalized nuts, vanilla, and buttery whiskey slide across the tounge during each sip. The finish has a huge amount of sweet vanilla and a hint of an earthy roasted malt flavor.

M: the feel is thick and syrupy with a slightly low amount of works for this beer though.

O: One of the better BA English Barleywines I've had under MoaS. The flavors and aromas were top notch. If you don't like sweet beers this might not be for you though. I will be seeking out another one of these...well worth the $25.

4.47/5  rDev +5.9%

Poured from a bottle into a 5 oz snifter. Pours a cognac like appearance with a minimal head despite a vigorous pour. Nose is loaded with sweet caramel, bourbon and vanilla. What an incredibly well scented beer. The taste hits you with this peculiar banana taste. Just like I enjoy the addition of grapefruit flavor I. An IPA. The bourbon and vanilla along with the banana make an encore appearance in the taste. The mouthfeel is allstar caliber. Very smooth with zero bitterness. Quite sweet actually. Overall, this is simply outstanding. Glad Ive got two more.

look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

22 oz bottle I picked up on release day a few weeks ago. Poured into a Russian River cervoise...

A - Pours a hazy, orange-dark amber color with a very small, 1/4 a finger, layer of eggshell white foam. Some slight lace, but nothing remarkable.

S - Really nice aromas here. Surprisingly grainy aromas mixed with sweet honey notes. Vanilla and slight understated bourbon notes mixed with yeasty, fruitiness that only comes from the Belgian influences here. Bananas, grapes, and some light raisin notes mixed with oaky goodness also come out.

T - Bananas, honey, vanilla, and oak make the forefront here. All mixed nicely with Belgian yeast and some coconut and oaky bourbon. More fruits come out like apple and some slight pear. Slghtly alcoholic finish, but nothing offensive.

M - Full bodied and sticky sweet. Warms the body as you drink it. Carbonation is low which only adds to the stickiness it possesses.

O - Really exceptional beer. For the first barleywine from HF they've ever made (as far as I know), and a barrel aged one at that, this one was spectacular. Great work Fred. I can't wait to see how the rest I have age.

4.67/5  rDev +10.7%

This beer was served in a shifter.

A- A bright clear amber body. Actively carbonate. Thin white head with little retention. The lacing on the glass looks like pancake batter.

S- Vanilla oak, brown sugar and caramel aromas play with banannas. This smells like an idealized bannanas foster. A bit boozey like bourbon but in a well done way.

T- The flavors of the beer are very well done. I am picking up banannas brown sugar and caramel notes. Soft and subtle bourbon notes are present. The beer doesnt have a hint of alcohol in the flavor.

M- The body of the beer is full. The carbonation is light and gentle. A bit of alcohol heat but I think it works well with the beers overall character.

O- This is a very easy to drink beer treat. Well done guys!

4.88/5  rDev +15.6%

Finally decided to crack one of these beasts, I'm glad I did.

Let me start by saying this is probably one of the 10 best beers I have ever tasted. I cannot believe this beer doesn't get talked about.

It pours a perfect color. Dark amber with a small crown of bubbles. Perfectly clear, which is surprising for a bal-aged, bottle conditioned, beer. Absolutely perfect color for the style. The aroma is damn near perfect but not quite. I would have liked it to be a bit bigger, richer. Sugary, bourbony, malty, fruity, fantastic. I would have liked this beer to have a more full aroma.

The flavor is just perfection. Toffee all over this bitch. Caramelized sugars, whiskey, wood, vanilla. Damn! This is fantastic! Perfectly attenuated. Perfect amount of residual sugar. Perfect amount of time in the barrel. A grand slam! Un-freaking-believeable.

Mouthfeel is spot on. Carbonation is perfect. It leaves a heavy, slightly syrupy beer but it never feels like too much and is never cloying. Overall, my satisfaction was very high. I'll be trying to track down more of this beast. It's truly an exceptional beer. Fantastic, seek out.

4.47/5  rDev +5.9%

Appearance: It pours a thick orangeish copper color with almost no head. It doesn't leave any lacing down the glass, very tasty looking beer.
Smell: Naked Evil smells of bourbon, toffee, and maybe a little vanilla. This is a very sweet smelling beer not a lot of alcohol coming through the nose, maybe I should have waited to drink it.
Taste: This beer tastes as sweet as the smell is very little alcohol burn to speak of. Notes of caramel, toffee, and maybe honey dominate bourbon notes in the background help balance it a little bit.
Mouthfeel: Thick as motor oil on a cold winter day, just as I expect this 11% BW to be. This is a very good sipper that will last a while since it is so sweet. Can't wait to see how it ages.

4.51/5  rDev +6.9%

22oz into snifter in the high 40's and reviewed into the high 50's.

Pours w/out much head and no real lacing, but it's an 11% Barleywine, after all. Deep orange colored body - quite clear, w/just a hint of carbonation.

Aromas are full of the whiskey barrel, but really well balanced with a ton of tree fruit - especially apricots and apples. Little bit of caramel and vanilla glaze.

Smooth yet warm on the palate. Flavors are a rich mix of fruits, thick bread/yeast, honey - lots of honey, just a kiss of hops, vanilla icing, maybe some fruitcake... just a lot going on here. And fairly sweet, but delicious. As it warms, it converts to creme brulee and banana pudding - but never loses the whiskey barrel.

Mouthfeel couldn't be much smoother for the ABV and Style. The high heat brushed back my MF score by a notch (ball 1).

Overall, a really well made beer. My winner of the month, so far.

4.46/5  rDev +5.7%

Pours a headless, syrupy brown into my Maudite snifter. Smells like toffee, bourbon, and sweet malt. Awesome. Taste is bourbon, caramel, and delicious layers of malt. Definitely on the sweeter side, but the bourbon notes keep it in check. With some time on the bottle this will get even better. Overall an awesome barleywine and one of the best new beers I've had in awhile.

3.77/5  rDev -10.7%

Thanks to Treebs for the share. I kept missing out on this one.

A - Copper color beer with an off-white head that didn't leave much on the sides.

S - It smells very, very sweet, like a lot of caramel sweetness. Some vanilla, whiskey, and bourbon. Smells pretty inviting.

T - This is a real sipper, as it's almost cloyingly sweet. I enjoy the caramel, honey, vanilla and whiskey, but have to go slow with this one. Would have liked a little bit more toasty malt or something to break it up. Still solid though.

M - Syrupy, smooth, decent carbonation, kind of heavy.

O - Good beer, too sweet for my liking, but the flavors are good. Would drink again.

3.7/5  rDev -12.3%

Thanks to Treebs for this one...poured into Bell's tulip.

A - Pours a copper color, small white head, thin collar, some bubbles here and there on top.

S - Caramel, oak, burnt sugars, smooth booze. Very sweet and rich and the alcohol is very well-hidden...almost nonexistent.

T - Really really sweet...too sweet for me. Caramel, smooth booze, burnt sugars, slight yeast notes. I like my Barleywine's sweet, but this was a bit over-the-top for me.

M - Medium, good carbonation, creamy sweet finish.

O - While the nose was really nice, I just couldn't enjoy the high level of sweetness in this beer. Like I previously mentioned, I do like my BW's on the sweeter side (less hoppy), but this was too much. Not bad, but I'd rather have something else.

4.42/5  rDev +4.7%

22oz bottle poured into a snifter.

Pours a completely clear, deep chestnut color. There is not much of a head, even with a stronger pour. There are some tiny bubbles of foam that develop but they fade just as quick. As the beer is swirled in the glass, as well as with each sip, a thin layer of film is left of the glass.

The nose is pretty sweet. Not overpowering but it is definitely the dominant characteristic. Both caramel and toffee are here, probably more caramel than the toffee. A bit of vanilla is present as well. There is a decent amount of booze that blends nicely with the sweetness and actually seems to balance it out a bit.

The taste and the nose go hand in hand, the only difference being that the taste is even sweeter. The toffee comes out more in the taste, and gets kicked up a bit more as the beer warms. The caramel is still more prominent than the toffee but it gets closer to even. The vanilla is mixed with a nice oak character that breaks up the sweeter characteristics and prevents the beer from being too sweet. A nice hit of some whiskey hits at the finish and brings a touch of heat that warms the senses.

The mouthfeel is big and pretty viscous, as the thin layer of film on the glass let on. The carbonation is almost non-existent but it works perfectly here. The beer is extremely smooth.

Overall this beer is excellent. I'm not sure I have had a barrel-aged beer, barleywine or otherwise, that has been this well rounded and complex so close to bottling. This one didn't come with all the hype and fanfare of some beers of this stature, in fact I only picked it up after it was recommended to me by two other people. I'm glad I did before the word gets out.

Barrel Aged Naked Evil from Hoppin' Frog Brewery