Barrel Aged Naked Evil - Hoppin' Frog Brewery

Ohio, United States

English Barleywine |  11.30% ABV

Batch 1 - White Cap
Batch 2 - Black Cap

(Beer added by: TMoney2591 on 09-04-2011)

athouve1, Dec 01, 2011
4.35/5  rDev +2.1%

Appearance:

My Glencairn tasting glass was a perfect fit for this job. I pulled the cap off this heavy ale and was greeted with a slight wisp of carbonation gasses. On the pour I went slowly and was left with a thin creamy head. When I hold my glass up to the light there is an array of deep brown and ruby-plum like colors that are pristine and clear. On the viscosity check I gave a generous swirl and noticed a healthy amount of legs sliding down my glass walls ever so slowly.

Aroma:

Wow, this is a huge punch in the face from the bourbon barrel. Initially all I can get is a huge amount of booze and oak from the barrel but as I let this warm up a little bit a load of caramel soaked raisins and burnt brown sugar are pushing through. I am having a hard time trying to pull out any Belgian notes but hey, the barrel is strong on the nose in this one. In the back end some fig flavors are rounding it out and even a slight pipe tobacco aroma.

Taste:

I have to admit this is one of the most interesting variations I have ever had for the style, but I like it! Right off the start there is a huge kick from the bourbon but it is so much more complex than that. Vanilla, plums, figs, and bready malt is huge in the base. Smooth and warming on the palate and is reminding me of banana foster with some toasted marshmallow. I can see how some people might find this to be a little too sweet for their palate but this is right up my alley on this cold night. In the finish, a hint of bubblegum is poking through which is definitely a component of that Belgian yeast.

Drinkability:

Overall this was one killer barley wine! The only thing I’m a little upset about is that this was my only bottle. This is a true sipping ale, and I must admit I’m glad that I lit a fire right before I started this one because they seem to go hand in hand on a cold snowy night like tonight. If you come across this one or have the opportunity to trade for it by all means go for it, because not only is it a limited release, it is fantastic for the style. Well until next time.

Bmoyer0301, Nov 30, 2011
3.98/5  rDev -6.6%

A - Poured out a clear, golden copper color with a one-finger, white head of foam. It left sudsy trails of lace on the glass.

S - It smelled of whiskey and sweet caramel.

T - Strong whiskey flavor with sweet caramel and toffee presence. Subtle hop bitterness.

M - It was smooth yet sticky. A full bodied ale with a strong alcohol warmth.

O - This is a very good barrel aged barleywine. A nice rare find from Hoppin' Frog.

zeff80, Nov 29, 2011

heyta, Nov 28, 2011

kaelingirl, Nov 28, 2011
4.43/5  rDev +4%

Poured from 22oz bomber into snifter

Appearance: Very clear amber with practically no head. Expected for the abv on this monster.

Nose: Lots of caramel notes that meld nicely with the light bourbon aromas. Really looking forward to the taste on this...

Taste: Again, loads of caramel and butterscotch, light bourbon flavors which I really appreciate as they're not overbearing. The abv is present but does not distract from the brew. A wonderful caramel/bourbon/bready concoction.

Very low carbonation on the mouth feel with a medium to medium heavy body. Exactly what I was looking for in this brew.

Probably the best beer I have had from Hoppin' Frog. I real gem. Surprised it drank so smoothly for being relatively fresh but I'm sure this will age nicely. Definitely seek this one out.

hippityhops85, Nov 25, 2011

captainbearcat, Nov 22, 2011

thetomG, Nov 22, 2011

bob727, Nov 22, 2011
4.22/5  rDev -0.9%

Thank you Jim (RatedZ) for this little surprise, had been holding out on enjoying this for a time when I could enjoy it with my father. Served into Stone Double Bastard tumblers.

A – Pours an amber color, very clear no real haze or floaties, and there is practically no head. This leaves no lacing on the glass at all.

S – A lot of sweet malt up front, a little vanilla, some caramel/toffee/molasses, some whiskey notes that give it a boozy aroma. There is a little oak/earth funk also.

T – The sweetness of this smacks you first with caramel/toffee/molasses, and then a little vanilla, some brown sugar, and then the whiskey just dives in and adds that boozy layer of abrasiveness and pairs well with the earth funk character.

M – Little on the thinner side of the spectrum and the carbonation was very mild but didn’t take away from the overall experience. Also had a little creaminess to the body.

O – This a great barleywine, but better than Abacus (SUCABA) I don’t think so. This comes in 2nd right after Abacus in my book.

MrTopher, Nov 21, 2011
4.25/5  rDev -0.2%

seeswo, Nov 21, 2011
3.5/5  rDev -17.8%

mfield14, Nov 20, 2011
4.55/5  rDev +6.8%

Poured from 22oz bottle into Bordeaux glass.

Aroma: Sticky, sweet caramel, honey, apple, vanilla, coconut, a faint clove note, and pineapple upside-down cake. It would be impossible to smell this one without wanting to try it.

Appearance: Crystal-clear copper body. Pours thick, with very minimal fine off-white bubbles. Nice legs drip down the inside of the glass after every sip.

Flavor: Pineapple upside-down cake, carmelized sugar, bourbon, coconut, vanilla, sweet maltiness, and a bit of peppery alcohol at the end.

Mouthfeel: Medium-full, syrupy mouthfeel. Low carbonation. A bit of peppery heat comes through after the finish.

Overall: All the positive buzz I'd heard about this one was definitely true. Very reminiscent of Kuhnhenn's BB4D (one of the best brews I've had this year). It's a little hotter on the finish than ideal. While this brew is a little bit on the pricy side, I'd recommend trying a bottle now, and holding onto one or more to enjoy after a year or two. It would be money well spent.

mdvatab, Nov 19, 2011

Gushue3, Nov 15, 2011

kkrez, Nov 14, 2011

sideshowe, Nov 14, 2011
3.53/5  rDev -17.1%

Sampled at a tasting this past weekend courtesy of BTPete I believe.

Pours a thick orange/copper color with almost no head. It doesn't leave any lacing down the glass.

Aromas are quite sweet and sugary. Initially reminds me of FunFetti Vanilla Icing. There's light bourbon and sweet pale/biscuity maltiness that diminate. As it warms I get some lesser brown sugar maltiness and Belgian yeast notes highlighted by caramelized bananas.

The teaste begin really sweet; highlighted by caramelized maltiness mixed with sweet candy sugar, sugar cookies, vanilla and light toffee. Light breadiness and fruity/banana yeast flavors in the background but this is a cloyingly sweet beast that is rough on the palate for me.

The mouthfeel is medium-full bodied with low carbonation. Finish is slick, sweet and syrupy.

Overall this was a miss for me and I cannot understand the high ratings on BA right now. I can appreciate how a fresh Barleywine like this has little to no alcohol but it's just a sweet, cloying mess in my opinion. Definitely not worth the

claspada, Nov 14, 2011