Barrel Aged Naked Evil - Hoppin' Frog Brewery

Ohio, United States

English Barleywine |  11.30% ABV

Batch 1 - White Cap
Batch 2 - Black Cap

(Beer added by: TMoney2591 on 09-04-2011)
« first ‹ prev | 426-450 | 451-475 | 476-500  | next › last »
4.4/5  rDev +3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

22 oz bottle I picked up on release day a few weeks ago. Poured into a Russian River cervoise...

A - Pours a hazy, orange-dark amber color with a very small, 1/4 a finger, layer of eggshell white foam. Some slight lace, but nothing remarkable.

S - Really nice aromas here. Surprisingly grainy aromas mixed with sweet honey notes. Vanilla and slight understated bourbon notes mixed with yeasty, fruitiness that only comes from the Belgian influences here. Bananas, grapes, and some light raisin notes mixed with oaky goodness also come out.

T - Bananas, honey, vanilla, and oak make the forefront here. All mixed nicely with Belgian yeast and some coconut and oaky bourbon. More fruits come out like apple and some slight pear. Slghtly alcoholic finish, but nothing offensive.

M - Full bodied and sticky sweet. Warms the body as you drink it. Carbonation is low which only adds to the stickiness it possesses.

O - Really exceptional beer. For the first barleywine from HF they've ever made (as far as I know), and a barrel aged one at that, this one was spectacular. Great work Fred. I can't wait to see how the rest I have age.

KAP1356, Nov 03, 2011
4.7/5  rDev +10.1%

This beer was served in a shifter.

A- A bright clear amber body. Actively carbonate. Thin white head with little retention. The lacing on the glass looks like pancake batter.

S- Vanilla oak, brown sugar and caramel aromas play with banannas. This smells like an idealized bannanas foster. A bit boozey like bourbon but in a well done way.

T- The flavors of the beer are very well done. I am picking up banannas brown sugar and caramel notes. Soft and subtle bourbon notes are present. The beer doesnt have a hint of alcohol in the flavor.

M- The body of the beer is full. The carbonation is light and gentle. A bit of alcohol heat but I think it works well with the beers overall character.

O- This is a very easy to drink beer treat. Well done guys!

nlmartin, Nov 01, 2011
4.9/5  rDev +14.8%

Finally decided to crack one of these beasts, I'm glad I did.

Let me start by saying this is probably one of the 10 best beers I have ever tasted. I cannot believe this beer doesn't get talked about.

It pours a perfect color. Dark amber with a small crown of bubbles. Perfectly clear, which is surprising for a bal-aged, bottle conditioned, beer. Absolutely perfect color for the style. The aroma is damn near perfect but not quite. I would have liked it to be a bit bigger, richer. Sugary, bourbony, malty, fruity, fantastic. I would have liked this beer to have a more full aroma.

The flavor is just perfection. Toffee all over this bitch. Caramelized sugars, whiskey, wood, vanilla. Damn! This is fantastic! Perfectly attenuated. Perfect amount of residual sugar. Perfect amount of time in the barrel. A grand slam! Un-freaking-believeable.

Mouthfeel is spot on. Carbonation is perfect. It leaves a heavy, slightly syrupy beer but it never feels like too much and is never cloying. Overall, my satisfaction was very high. I'll be trying to track down more of this beast. It's truly an exceptional beer. Fantastic, seek out.

Brew33, Oct 26, 2011
4.47/5  rDev +4.7%

Appearance: It pours a thick orangeish copper color with almost no head. It doesn't leave any lacing down the glass, very tasty looking beer.
Smell: Naked Evil smells of bourbon, toffee, and maybe a little vanilla. This is a very sweet smelling beer not a lot of alcohol coming through the nose, maybe I should have waited to drink it.
Taste: This beer tastes as sweet as the smell is very little alcohol burn to speak of. Notes of caramel, toffee, and maybe honey dominate bourbon notes in the background help balance it a little bit.
Mouthfeel: Thick as motor oil on a cold winter day, just as I expect this 11% BW to be. This is a very good sipper that will last a while since it is so sweet. Can't wait to see how it ages.

raznug, Oct 25, 2011
4.5/5  rDev +5.4%

22oz into snifter in the high 40's and reviewed into the high 50's.

Pours w/out much head and no real lacing, but it's an 11% Barleywine, after all. Deep orange colored body - quite clear, w/just a hint of carbonation.

Aromas are full of the whiskey barrel, but really well balanced with a ton of tree fruit - especially apricots and apples. Little bit of caramel and vanilla glaze.

Smooth yet warm on the palate. Flavors are a rich mix of fruits, thick bread/yeast, honey - lots of honey, just a kiss of hops, vanilla icing, maybe some fruitcake... just a lot going on here. And fairly sweet, but delicious. As it warms, it converts to creme brulee and banana pudding - but never loses the whiskey barrel.

Mouthfeel couldn't be much smoother for the ABV and Style. The high heat brushed back my MF score by a notch (ball 1).

Overall, a really well made beer. My winner of the month, so far.

BeerImmediately, Oct 21, 2011
4.45/5  rDev +4.2%

Pours a headless, syrupy brown into my Maudite snifter. Smells like toffee, bourbon, and sweet malt. Awesome. Taste is bourbon, caramel, and delicious layers of malt. Definitely on the sweeter side, but the bourbon notes keep it in check. With some time on the bottle this will get even better. Overall an awesome barleywine and one of the best new beers I've had in awhile.

PenguinBeerFan, Oct 15, 2011
3.75/5  rDev -12.2%

Thanks to Treebs for the share. I kept missing out on this one.

A - Copper color beer with an off-white head that didn't leave much on the sides.

S - It smells very, very sweet, like a lot of caramel sweetness. Some vanilla, whiskey, and bourbon. Smells pretty inviting.

T - This is a real sipper, as it's almost cloyingly sweet. I enjoy the caramel, honey, vanilla and whiskey, but have to go slow with this one. Would have liked a little bit more toasty malt or something to break it up. Still solid though.

M - Syrupy, smooth, decent carbonation, kind of heavy.

O - Good beer, too sweet for my liking, but the flavors are good. Would drink again.

AgentZero, Oct 14, 2011
3.68/5  rDev -13.8%

Thanks to Treebs for this one...poured into Bell's tulip.

A - Pours a copper color, small white head, thin collar, some bubbles here and there on top.

S - Caramel, oak, burnt sugars, smooth booze. Very sweet and rich and the alcohol is very well-hidden...almost nonexistent.

T - Really really sweet...too sweet for me. Caramel, smooth booze, burnt sugars, slight yeast notes. I like my Barleywine's sweet, but this was a bit over-the-top for me.

M - Medium, good carbonation, creamy sweet finish.

O - While the nose was really nice, I just couldn't enjoy the high level of sweetness in this beer. Like I previously mentioned, I do like my BW's on the sweeter side (less hoppy), but this was too much. Not bad, but I'd rather have something else.

Sean9689, Oct 13, 2011
4.43/5  rDev +3.7%

22oz bottle poured into a snifter.

Pours a completely clear, deep chestnut color. There is not much of a head, even with a stronger pour. There are some tiny bubbles of foam that develop but they fade just as quick. As the beer is swirled in the glass, as well as with each sip, a thin layer of film is left of the glass.

The nose is pretty sweet. Not overpowering but it is definitely the dominant characteristic. Both caramel and toffee are here, probably more caramel than the toffee. A bit of vanilla is present as well. There is a decent amount of booze that blends nicely with the sweetness and actually seems to balance it out a bit.

The taste and the nose go hand in hand, the only difference being that the taste is even sweeter. The toffee comes out more in the taste, and gets kicked up a bit more as the beer warms. The caramel is still more prominent than the toffee but it gets closer to even. The vanilla is mixed with a nice oak character that breaks up the sweeter characteristics and prevents the beer from being too sweet. A nice hit of some whiskey hits at the finish and brings a touch of heat that warms the senses.

The mouthfeel is big and pretty viscous, as the thin layer of film on the glass let on. The carbonation is almost non-existent but it works perfectly here. The beer is extremely smooth.

Overall this beer is excellent. I'm not sure I have had a barrel-aged beer, barleywine or otherwise, that has been this well rounded and complex so close to bottling. This one didn't come with all the hype and fanfare of some beers of this stature, in fact I only picked it up after it was recommended to me by two other people. I'm glad I did before the word gets out.

ms11781, Oct 12, 2011
4.1/5  rDev -4%

I decided to pick up a bottle of this one after i saw a bunch sitting around, it is a Barleywine with some talk behind it, so it is something i had to pickup. I <3 Barleywines.

The color is a cherry sunburst color that has a lot of warmth to it, just a small collar around the edges keeping it from looking still, makes it look a lot more attractive honestly.
The aroma sends some caramel sweetness and toffee along with noticeable barrel effects. Seems very rounded by the aroma, like it is melded rather well already, very much so for a bottle this young.
The flavors present the barrel character more strongly, partly in whiskey and partly in oak notes, but they have a lot of rich sweet candy like malt notes to cut through. They end up doing each other a service and balancing each other out very well and making one of the better english style barleywines i have had recently. Stickey caramel and toffee, christmas sugar cookies, and the close brings some fruits, even a hint of banana and papaya on the finish.
mouthfeel is sticky, short of syrupy, and low to medium carbination.

I think more then just myself was apprehensive when we saw the belgian style barleywine label, but this is good stuff. Curious to see how it ages honestly, i do not like aging most beers, but *maybe* this one is a candidate.

ChadQuest, Oct 11, 2011
4.33/5  rDev +1.4%

A- a slight head from a rigous pour. A very clear light brow.

S - Toffee, with some caramel and raisins, some vanilla and bal-goodness

T- Very complex. Toffee, vanilla, whiskey, lots of oak, some coconut and fruit flavors from the Belgian yeast. Sweet but not cloying. The tannins from the bal- are doing a fantastic job of drying out the beer and letting the whiskey notes shine through on the finish. A touch of heat in the throat on the finish, in a good way. Impressive.

M- Nice carbonation level, on the low side, nice tannin level. Very smooth without a cloying sweetness. Quite nice and impressive.

O-This is one of the best Barley-wines that I have ever had. It is not blow your mind amazing. Instead, this is a beer that has layers and layers of complexity that one needs to contemplate before realizing how awesome it is. I feel like this is a tickers-tick, type of beer. It is very good but once you start breaking down a beer in a review you get a different take on it. I believe that I will have to hunker down and get a few bottles for the cellar, this is gonna age with the best of them

nas5755, Oct 10, 2011
4.21/5  rDev -1.4%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

Shared at the UFC tasting. Bomber poured into a Deschutes snifter.

A: Pours a clear dark brown with a light tan head that recedes into nothing. There are some floaties in there.

S: The smell is very sweet with a combination of the whiskey, oak barrel, vanilla and caramel malts.

T: Very sweet caramel malts with a slight toffee addition as well. Slight dark fruits with a nice vanilla oak and well integrated whiskey. No real heat from this guy, very well hidden.

M: Smooth with very little carbonation. Little sweet toffee left on the palate.

O: While this was very sweet I really enjoyed it and the whiskey barrel imparted some great flavors. I'm glad I decided to bite the bullet and pick one up at Binny's.

Treebs, Oct 09, 2011
4.85/5  rDev +13.6%

Huge thanks to Bobby8405 for the share, and to Jparkanzky for sending it this way. The brew pours a reddish copper hue with a very silky appearance and it is capped with a short-lived taupe froth. The nose is redolent of luscious coconut liquor, pineapple upside-down cake, delectable toffee notes, vibrant oaken vanilla, and buttery richness. As far as the flavor goes, I can add no more to the descriptors, other than to say that it is stunningly delicious, and that there is a modicum of well-placed anise nuance that is not detected aromatically, as well as a trace suggestion of dried golden fruits likely imparted by the yeast. The feel is exceptionally silky. Overall this is one of my favorite beers I’ve ever had. It is like a hybrid of (gasp!) Wooden Hell and BA Magnolia Star. ISO!

ktrillionaire, Oct 09, 2011
4.8/5  rDev +12.4%

Poured from a 22oz bottle into a snifter.

A - Pours a mostly clear amber color with little to no head, which isn't unusual for a good barrel aged beer.

S - I poured this and set the glass on an end table about a foot away from me. As I let it warm for a couple minutes, I was suddenly overtaken by a sweet caramel scent. I picked up the glass and brought it closer. Sure enough, it was the beer I could smell. In addition to the caramel, there are some notes of oak, vanilla, and whiskey.

T - WOW, I thought I'd had the best barrel aged barleywine when I tried Abacus, but this might actually surpass it. It starts with the same sweet caramel notes found in the nose, but it isn't cloyingly sweet. The oak and vanilla blend in perfectly and a bit of heat from the whiskey appears on the back end. The barrel aging on this is perfect for my tastes...it is there and noticeable, but it doesn't overpower the other subtleties of the barleywine.

M - Very little carbonation, which I prefer in a barrel aged barleywine or stout. Medium body.

O - Possibly my new favorite barrel aged barleywine, which I didn't think I would ever say after trying Abacus. This is the first Hoppin' Frog beer that I've tried that I didn't drink a little of and then think "I paid how much for this?!" No regrets on paying $20 per bottle of this one. I have a couple more in the cellar that I look forward to aging and trying in the future.

ratedz, Sep 22, 2011
4.38/5  rDev +2.6%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

I had the pleasure of drinking this beer with Fred Karm and the rest of his brewstaff at a shin-dig in Canton. This and a freshly bottled Mean Manalishi. And a whole lot of other non-OH beers. But this one was special.

The bottle has an unassuming white label, unlike any other I've had from Hoppin Frog. It pours a rusty brown color with some floaties and a thin foam. The aroma is bourbon + toffee, a finely treated English style barleywine. Some esters as well, giving an olfactary clue as to the yeast and fermentation style.

Slightly boozy taste, with caramel and toffee malts making a big presence. Bananas in the aftertaste, along with a light alcohol burn.

Light-to-moderate carbonation, I had my pour after the bottle had been open for about a half hour though. Excellent overall, this was a real pleasure. Plus I got to discuss the beer with the brewer as we pissed away the evening, not a bad night at all.

TurdFurgison, Sep 21, 2011
4.33/5  rDev +1.4%

Had this at Owen & Engine. Thanks to the bartender for suggesting it. Served in a snifter. Love the ghetto label

A - A quarter-finger of white foam settles to a thin ring of bubbles, some wisps on top, a touch of spotty lace. Lightly hazed orange-brown body.

S - The aroma is understated, with notes of vanilla, toasted coconut, and booze that grows in intensity as the beer warms up. There's some estery yeast character and English toffee sweetness as well.

T - The taste is superior, with copious amounts of coconut, vanilla, whiskey, toffee, brown sugar, spicy Belgian yeast, and a hint of bubblegum.

M - Medium-bodied, with well-hidden alcohol, pleasant moderate carbonation, and a lightly tannic finish. Surprisingly light for the style and alcohol, but not in a detrimental way.

D - I suspect this will improve over the next few months, but it's quite excellent already. Handily the best Hoppin' Frog offering I've ever had. The Belgian yeast works very nicely with the barleywine sweetness and intense barrel character. Looks like I'll have to find a bottle or two for the cellar.

MasterSki, Sep 20, 2011
4.58/5  rDev +7.3%

Served room temp in a Trois Pistoles snifter. 1 pint 6 fl oz (22 fl oz).

5th year anniversary beer
OG = 28.2 P (120 sg)
FG = 9.4 P (38 sg)

A - Clear medium brown body with plenty of visible particulate matter. I didn't get a great look at the tan head, but there is one if you use a strong pour.

S - Powerful banana character. complex bouquet. sweet and smooth all the way. what little alcoholic solvency there may be is masked well by the malt.

T - Delicious explosion of banana.

M - Solvent finish with a stale astringency lingering well into the aftertaste. Medium bodied.

O - Had this beer after it was recapped for ~6 hours.

ZenAgnostic, Sep 18, 2011
4.5/5  rDev +5.4%

Big thanks to normyk for sharing this.

Appearance
This stuff is very thick on the glass, its viscosity coating the sides. There isn't much of a head, just tiny pearls of lacing here and there. The beer is a pretty clear, caramel-amber color.

Aroma
It almost smells like a bourbon barrel aged wheatwine. There is a lot of snappy graininess like wheat, or even possibly rye. Some honey-like sweetness plays along side an amazing fruitiness. Bourbon is light and mostly oaky and silken. More fruity, yeast-driven esters come out with warmth, giving off a very interesting and very awesome over-ripe, candied banana note. Alcohol is spicy and clove-like.

Taste
Sweet bananas covered in honey. Smooth bourbon blended nicely with vanilla and oak. A few nips of marshmallow and coconut are derived from the oaky bourbon. Fruitiness is wonderful. A lot of banana, and some baked apple. This beer has a spicy, alcoholic finish.

Mouthfeel
Full bodied and pretty warming, but not what I'd call hot, especially for the style. Carbonation is low, and this stuff is nearing syrupy.

Overall
Much, much, much better than I expected given the Belgian aspect. It has plenty of esters, but only the good, fruity ones and none of the bad, plasticy ones. I hope to get more of this for certain.

MbpBugeye, Sep 11, 2011
4.2/5  rDev -1.6%

Poured from a bottle into a snifter.

A - Actually kind of looks like whiskey a bit. Slight brown, some red, and amber. Little head disappears quickly, little flat looking when settled out.

S - Some whiskey right off, little dark dried fruit, and a smooth maltiness. Whiskey overpowers quite a bit. But quite a smooth aroma.

T - Some caramel sweetness with whiskey coming in and punching in the back. Lingering whiskey on the cheeks, with some smooth malt and barley. Very smooth taste considering the whiskey aging, which is nice and well incorporated. Maybe could have used some more interesting flavors to add complexity, but a good taste.

M - Pretty easy drinking all things considered, but the alcohol burn is felt throughout. The burn isn't unbearable though, and actually enhances the flavors. Minimal carbonation, but wasn't really expecting that, and helps keep it smooth with each sip.

O - Sweet flavors, a good job of aging, and the burn of some good whiskey. This was a good evening sipper. Could have used a more potent aroma, and more complex taste, but that is just nitpicking a little, as this is really good. The burn on the cheeks and smooth richness of the taste make me want to go get another bottle.

Scrumtralecent, Sep 09, 2011
4.43/5  rDev +3.7%

A: Poured a deep transparent brown with a thin white head.

S: Sweet notes of caramel and brown sugar with hints of oak and vanilla.

T: Extremely sweet and malty rich undertones of dark fruit. As the beer warms the whiskey is more apparent but still finishes with with more flavors of melted brown sugar.

M: Very light carbonation. sweet and sticky feeling that coats your mouth like cough syrup with a nice warming finish

O: Glad i was driving through good old Ohio last Thursday. Congrats to Hoppin' Frog on five years of making some of the best beers i have ever had. Keep up the good work!

BJRHOMEBREW, Sep 06, 2011
4.05/5  rDev -5.2%

Served in a glass mug.

The first beer tasted just before a buddy's wedding. It's described as a Belgian-style barleywine (whatever that really means) aged in whiskey barrels. Right on. It pours a clear copper-tawn topped by a finger of light tan foam. The nose comprises maple syrup, light oak, sweet toffee, light mandarin orange syrup, and the slightest hint of whiskey. The taste continues the sweet tradition of the smell, with the toffee really running deep and the heat of the alcohol finally showing through. It's clear this barleywine is still quite young. The body is a stolid medium, with a light moderate carbonation and a syrupy feel. Overall, though young, this is quite the tasty b-wine. I'm sure age will be a boon to it, but it's ready to go now for the adventurous. Good times.

TMoney2591, Sep 04, 2011