Bairille Aois B.O.R.I.S - Hoppin' Frog Brewery

Bairille Aois B.O.R.I.SBairille Aois B.O.R.I.S

Hoppin' Frog Brewery visit their website
Ohio, United States

Russian Imperial Stout |  9.40% ABV

(Beer added by: MasterSki on 05-25-2013)
Reviews by MacQ32:

3.75/5  rDev -12.8%

3.78/5  rDev -12.1%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

Poured from bottle into Hoppin Frog tulip glass...Date is 1/3/2014

Appearance- Completely pitch black, no color whatsoever. Very good looking khaki head that disappears within a minute.

Smell- Whiskey, vanilla and brown sugar right away. A malty/ maple scent is there but barely.

Taste- Bitter dark chocolate hits me right in the face. Strange, but I detect butterscotch secondly. This is much different from Hoppin Frog's traditional BA B.O.R.I.S.. I may be overestimating my palate, but I think I can tell this was aged in whiskey barrels and not bourbon.

Mouthfeel- It is much thinner then I had anticipated. Very unique experience in my mouth. With every sip I feel like my mouth is coated with dark chocolate. The whiskey is lingering in the back of my mouth and throat forever.

Overall- For the record, I am born and raised in the Akron area, so I am, as should be expected, an Ohio brewery homer. With that being said, I try to be as honest as possible while reviewing beers. Great beer from a world-class brewery.

4.48/5  rDev +4.2%

Thyis bad boy is dark, nice and viscous on the pour. It acheives a full finger of tight, creamy tan head that rests on top for the session. It also shows some cling, depositing itself in patches on my snifter.
This stuff smells fantastic. The wood is there without doing too much to dry it, which shows expertise when using a dry whiskey. It's well enough attuned to allow plenty of sweetness to come out without being at all cloying. A nice, hearty barley undertone sets it all down. Vanilla comes out with the oaky wood with a touch of roast and cocoa. There's something reminding me of malted milk in here too.
There's so much complexity and depth in this big beer's flavor that I really appreciate the balance here. It's nice to have a bit of a creamy, buttery note I got underneath the other elements in the nose. To use a dry whiskey puts a spin on things, and Hoppin's Frog did it right. The heat and booziness are heady but not overwhelming, blending with the rest of the beer's flavor very well.
This beer is smooth, crushed velvet on the tongue but still thick. It's got some dryness lingering from the wood, to good effect.

A huge thanks to Denny at the Beer and Wine Cave for just breaking this out at the end of a tasting. Possibly my only chance to have tried it and amazing.

2.68/5  rDev -37.7%

650 mL bottle poured into a snifter.

Appearance - Thick black body. Small khaki head. Thin collar.

Smell - Whiskey. Chocolate. Caramel. Doesn't really work that well thought.

Taste - Whiskey is strong. Chocolate. Very bitter. Kinda ashy. Uninspired finish.

Mouthfeel - Medium body. Carbonation makes it feel thinner than it is. Boozy and bitter.

Overall - Not a good treatment of Boris. Ick.

4.25/5  rDev -1.2%

Pitch black and creamy looking. Faint khaki head that completely disappears.

This smells like all kinds of baked goods. Sugar cookie, brownies, fudge, and coffee.

Coffee, cookie dough, oak, vanilla. The barrel flavors are modest but it works.

Velvety smooth, low carbonation. Heavy body.

A fantastic beer and worth seeking out.

4.4/5  rDev +2.3%

4.75/5  rDev +10.5%

Bottle shared with stillmatic 2232. Thanks man.

Pours a very dark black, basically opaque, into a Captain Lawrence tulip. Small head that fades away after a while.

Smells roasty, with additional mild flavors of whiskey and chocolate.

Tastes incredible. Subtle, creamy, almost buttery Irish whiskey, chocolate, caramel, vanilla, oak, mild roasty bitterness, and love. Normally I wouldn't love a "buttery" flavor in the beer, but I think it is intended, and it adds so much to the beer. It's most likely the Irish whiskey barrel aging. Adds a dimension to barrel aged stouts I've never had before. Love it!

Smooth and silky on the tongue. Great mouthfeel. Very drinkable for the high imperial ABV.

Very recommended!

3.75/5  rDev -12.8%

4.61/5  rDev +7.2%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

Poured pitch lack with a khaki head. Smell is sweet chocolate, oak, dark fruit, some cinnamon, marshmallow. Taste starts with slightly smokey bourbon, cinnamon, dark fruit again, plenty of chocolate. Texture is very enjoyable, silky smooth. Overall this is a great variation on the regular bba Boris. This is much less of an in your face bourbon flavor that you get from the regular bba version. The whisky flavor is definitely more complex and once you've had a few sips you can taste the Irish whisky in the aftertaste especially. Glad I got a few of these, especially with it being a brewery only release.

Bairille Aois B.O.R.I.S from Hoppin' Frog Brewery