Bairille Aois B.O.R.I.S - Hoppin' Frog Brewery

Hoppin' Frog Brewery visit their website
Ohio, United States

Russian Imperial Stout |  9.40% ABV

Beer added by: MasterSki on 05-25-2013

to view all ratings, reviews and sorting options.
Ratings: 144 | Reviews: 21

4.71/5  rDev +9.3%

Bottle shared with stillmatic 2232. Thanks man.

Pours a very dark black, basically opaque, into a Captain Lawrence tulip. Small head that fades away after a while.

Smells roasty, with additional mild flavors of whiskey and chocolate.

Tastes incredible. Subtle, creamy, almost buttery Irish whiskey, chocolate, caramel, vanilla, oak, mild roasty bitterness, and love. Normally I wouldn't love a "buttery" flavor in the beer, but I think it is intended, and it adds so much to the beer. It's most likely the Irish whiskey barrel aging. Adds a dimension to barrel aged stouts I've never had before. Love it!

Smooth and silky on the tongue. Great mouthfeel. Very drinkable for the high imperial ABV.

Very recommended!

4.33/5  rDev +0.5%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

Poured from a 22oz bottle

A - pours dark brown, almost black with a thin, quickly disappearing tan head. No lacing

S - sweet chocolate aroma dominates. Hints of vanilla and oak from the barrel, subtle scent of whiskey.

T - front taste of dark chocolate. Bitterness is well balanced with a sweet okay vanilla from the barrel ageing. Strong/hot alcohol after taste.

M - thinner than your average stout (let alone a BA beer). Lacks that lasting mouth feel of a full bodied stout.

O - This beer has such great potential...a nicely balanced bittersweet dark chocolate flavor...that is hampered by an overly strong alcohol burn. The whiskey barrels add a wonderful vanilla and oak taste. Perhaps it would benefit from some cellar aging.

4.75/5  rDev +10.2%

3.81/5  rDev -11.6%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

Poured from bottle into Hoppin Frog tulip glass...Date is 1/3/2014

Appearance- Completely pitch black, no color whatsoever. Very good looking khaki head that disappears within a minute.

Smell- Whiskey, vanilla and brown sugar right away. A malty/ maple scent is there but barely.

Taste- Bitter dark chocolate hits me right in the face. Strange, but I detect butterscotch secondly. This is much different from Hoppin Frog's traditional BA B.O.R.I.S.. I may be overestimating my palate, but I think I can tell this was aged in whiskey barrels and not bourbon.

Mouthfeel- It is much thinner then I had anticipated. Very unique experience in my mouth. With every sip I feel like my mouth is coated with dark chocolate. The whiskey is lingering in the back of my mouth and throat forever.

Overall- For the record, I am born and raised in the Akron area, so I am, as should be expected, an Ohio brewery homer. With that being said, I try to be as honest as possible while reviewing beers. Great beer from a world-class brewery.

3.85/5  rDev -10.7%

Bottle opened on 10.31.13
Thanks B!

A - Pours a dark brown with a dark brown head with solid retention.

S - Bourbon and chocolate.

T - Bourbon, bitter chocolate, and some acidic-wood.

D - Good carbonation with a heavy body.

O - Bourbon is nice, but it falls off after that.

4.75/5  rDev +10.2%

4.25/5  rDev -1.4%

to view all ratings, reviews and sorting options.
Bairille Aois B.O.R.I.S from Hoppin' Frog Brewery