1. Extreme Beer Fest tickets go on sale Sat, Sep 27 @ Noon EDT.

Krušovice Cerne - Královský Pivovar Krušovice a.s.

Krušovice CerneKrušovice Cerne

good

Královský Pivovar Krušovice a.s. visit their website
Czech Republic

Schwarzbier |  3.80% ABV

(Beer added by: stoutman on 06-08-2003)
1.3/5  rDev -63.5%

Tastes like the foil wrap that covers the neck and cap. I don't want to be too much of a naysayer, so I'll use a filler here: blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah. I couldn't make it past the third sip. Drink, drank, drunk.... dumped!

Taz_Michael, Aug 09, 2013

gnikola, Jan 17, 2013

rredshift, Aug 07, 2013

Beerman1977, Dec 30, 2012

Heminoolo, Sep 23, 2012
2.08/5  rDev -41.6%

Accidental purchase wanted to buy their fairly solid Pilsner won't make this mistake again.

Adjuncts create a sickeningly sweet taste that results in a cross between a Schwarzbeir and a NA Malt beverage. Low alcohol.

It pours like a promising Schwarz, but smells and tastes like soda. Completely wrong for me. It has some good roasty malts that helped me finish this but overall it's a bad brew. Too sweet, flavor seems piped in from the additional malts and artificial flavors. Hard to finish the bottle.

TripelMajor, Jul 09, 2007
2.33/5  rDev -34.6%

500 ml. 1 year old bottle. Pours black with a thick, long lasting off-white head and much lacing. Aroma is of sour dough, toast and hints of hops. Light, smooth body. Taste is of toasted malt and not much else. I hope to find a fresh bottle next time.

mikeg67, Sep 12, 2011
2.4/5  rDev -32.6%

500ml bottle bottled on 2/26/09, courtesy of BobbysLiquors. Thanks, Dee!

A - Pours a somewhat translucent coffee color, with a finger or two or off-white head. Decent retention but not much lacing. Not a bad start.

S - Some roast, a bit of grain, and some soft brown sugar sweetness. Not bad by any stretch, but the problem is that it's just barely there. I have a really work to get much aroma out of it at all.

T - Similar to the nose, with plenty of roastiness. There's an almond note to it, followed by some bready flavors, and then it has an odd bitterness to the finish, almost like stale coffee. More like a brown ale than a schwarzbier. But either way just not all that good, just pretty bland.

M - It's soft and velvety, which is kind of a surprise. It opened with a prickly carbonation, but that gave way to a softness that reminds me of a nitro stout.

D - The very low abv makes this one easy to put away, but the flavors, or lack of them, makes it hard to reach for another. One and done.

O - Not a terrible beer, but not something I'd go out of my way to track down. And by out of my way I mean lift a finger to pick one up.

djmichaelk, Feb 13, 2011
2.42/5  rDev -32%

Schwartzbier having a "born" date of March 8, 2009. Perhaps I tried this WAY too late. I don't think that this beer is meant to be tried a year later, at all. I will try again when I see it fresher. However, for a year old, it pours black with a thick tan head that is nice looking but quickly fades. There is no nose but for a very small hint of pumpernickel; very faint. Wow. No body; no character; no flavor except a hint of yeast and hops....a small hint. Not to try a bottle of this a year old again. Will re-visit this review if and when I try a fresh one.

GRG1313, Oct 11, 2010
2.48/5  rDev -30.3%

This beer poured black into a pint glass with a very thin, lacy head that diminished quickly. Once in the glass, it looked like Coke.

The nose has a very light caramel malt character and very light hops snap.

In the mouth, the beer's carbonation is released and the malt almost disappears, but presents itself as toasted rye. Almost all taste is in the back of the mouth - bitter hops. The aftertaste is very dry. It is a refreshing beer at first, but the dryness of the finish ended up making me thirstier.

I had higher expectations for this beer than it delivered, and I certainly wont go out of my way for it. I noticed afterwards that the ingredient list includes artificial sweetener, which may account for the "just not right" taste.

Blupoet03, Aug 06, 2007
2.48/5  rDev -30.3%
look: 4 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 2.5

Looks wonderful, dark brown with 2 fingers of swelling tan head, awesome retention.
Raisin and honey malt aroma, alcohol is noticeable in the nose.
bitter chocolate roastiness, fading into a raisin-y sweetness, not a whole lot of hop presence or lingering notes of anything.
Mouthfeel was a real let down, bordering on diet water.
I feel like this beer would be great with a heavier body. I'd drink it again, but I'm not going out of my way to find it.

moester13, Apr 05, 2011
2.5/5  rDev -29.8%

davidwhatshisnam, May 10, 2014
2.58/5  rDev -27.5%
look: 4 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

500ml bottle, best before November 2007, drank in June 2007.

I chose this beer (from my stash) because I had some Chilli Edam cheese my wife had bought for my Belgian beer night and I wouldn't let her serve it because it would have ruined the tastebuds of everyone. I wanted to eat the cheese with a beer that would complement each other. My review is for the beer before I started eating the chilli cheese, although I enjoyed it more washing down the biscuits and cheese.

Poured into my Gordon's Finest Gold thistle glass, it looks great.
Dark with an off white head.

The aroma is of sweet malts, the taste is weak and thin, so too the mouthfeel.

I thought this might be disappointing, I wasn't mistaken, it will help wash down the chilli cheese.

BlackHaddock, Jun 02, 2007
2.7/5  rDev -24.2%

Born on date 11-15-07.
Poured deep brown with a big tan head and lacing left behind.
Chocolate, roastiness and some actual medicinal notes in the aroma.
Taste was very sweet, black licorice and figs on the palate. Strange lingering finish. Once again remindiing me of medicine.
I will not buy again, just not my fancy.

dmamiano, Jul 31, 2008
2.75/5  rDev -22.8%

A darkbrown beer with la small beige head.

A faint smell of roasted coffee, sweet dried fruits and burnt bread.

The sweet tones are dominating, dried plums and dates, some roasted notes, very short bitterness.

Rather creamy mouthfeell.

In all a bit bland, no specific highlights.

rarbring, Jan 21, 2010
2.75/5  rDev -22.8%

Brabander, Apr 20, 2014
2.8/5  rDev -21.3%

Poured a nice deep black with a long lasting thick creamy head.

Smell has light malts notes, but is dominated by a musty funkiness that I don't particulary care for.

Light malty flavor with hints of cola and coffee. Just a bit of bittering in the finish, but overall malt dominated.

Mouthfeel is light and thin.

Overall easy enough to drink, but not at all great.

bashiba, Nov 13, 2006
2.85/5  rDev -19.9%

1 pint .9 fl oz. bottle with a black and gold colored label that has the name of the beer in a red and gold rectangle. This rectangle has a gold crown on the top of it and it's surrounded by 4 gold coins. The whole front is written in Czech, so good luck with that. The back label is written in English and that contains the US Government warning, US importer, refund values, barcode, and a born on date of 8/15/2006. The back label also lists the ingredients. The ingredients are as follows: water, malt, hops, and artificial sweetner. Wait one moment! Did I just say that this beer contains artificial sweetner? I sure did! I can't think of one good reason on why this has artificial sweetner in it. What? Is real sweetner not good enough for the consumer? If that isn't enough, they label this as a "Flavoured Imported Dark Beer." Not only does this beer contain artificial sweetner, but this is an imported dark beer flavored beer.

Appearance: When poured into a Pilsner glass, this flavored dark beer is a dark mahagony brown with a massive 4 inch creamy head of tan foam. It seemed like forever for the head of foam to recede to a point where I could drink the sweet liquid behind it. When it did recede, it left behind a tan colored film and tons of tan colored lace in its tracks.

Smell: The main aroma of this beer had to be the malted cereal. It smelled exactly like cold cheap cereal. The kind of cheap bagged cereal that you get on the bottom shelf of the cereal aisle. Once I got pass the cheap cereal aroma, I only got 2 more aromas after that, a hint a roasted coffee beans and a small trace of milk chocolate. Maybe I should have said 3 aromas because sometimes I got an aroma of burnt wood. Well, whatever it was, it was clearly a somekind of burnt aroma.

Taste: It had a light and somewhat watery taste of malted cereal, roasted mals, milk chocolate, sweet caramel, and a pinch of artificial sweetner. I knew the sweetner was coming into the play soon. Wow! Everything they listed under the ingredients was there, even the water and sweenter. It's a good thing they listed the ingredients because I would have wondered why I was tasting water and sweetner. Thanks Krušovice!

Mouthfeel: The mouthfeel was light, watery, and thin. Not only was there that, but it also contained a short lived aftertaste of sweet malted grains and a dab of milk chocolate.

Drinkability: I wouldn't have thought that a beer made with artificial sweetner would taste that good and this beer proved me right. The only thing I can say about this beer is that it's different. Not a good different, but it still was different.

AltBock, Jan 26, 2008
2.88/5  rDev -19.1%

Appearance: dark brown, medium layer of frothy tan foam that quickly flattens to a thin cap

Aroma: bitter chocolate, roast, flat Coke, vanilla, hint of iron

Flavor: mildly sweet maltiness with an edge of coffee and burnt sugar; wet paper in the background; finishes semisweet with not much aftertaste

Mouthfeel: light body, mild carbonation, soft texture, a bit thin

Other comments: Not much to say about this supremely boring rendition of a schwarzbier.

GreenCard, May 02, 2007
2.88/5  rDev -19.1%

Pours very dark brown with rubby highlights (seems opaque but is actually clear), capped by rather thin yet well-formed light-tan creamy head that holds well. Aroma is moderately malty with caramel and dark chocolate qualities and herbal-spicy hops in the background. Flavor is rather neutral malt with moderate herbal-spicy hops leading into the dry finish with lingering roastiness complemented by hop-bitterness. Medium-light bodied and watery on the palate.

crnipeter, Jun 07, 2011
2.88/5  rDev -19.1%

Got a bottle of this from Tommy C. Pours a very dark almost black color with an egg shell white head.

Aromas, i'm not there were any. I could barely make out any sweet smells or hoppyness. Not much going on here.

Taste was similar as well. Reminded me of seltzer water. Very tingly on the tongue and I could not taste much at all.

M & D while the mouthfeel was not good, medium to lite body, I could probably drink this all day, maybe in the summer. But give me a weiss any day of the week.

whitehouse50, Apr 06, 2009
2.88/5  rDev -19.1%

Had this not long ago at a Czech restaurant in Concord, CA. Came in a big bottle with its own its own unique Krusovice goblet, which added its appeal. I was disappointed in this beer on several levels: its blackness wasn't that black, its body was water thin, and its aroma and taste were less burned than my overcooked schnitzel! I hate to pan this beer but it couldn't stand up to my food and didn't taste good on its own and fell short of my expectations from drinking Köstritzer, Samuel Adam's Black and (especially)Death and Taxes.

droomyster, Nov 30, 2008
2.9/5  rDev -18.5%

Pours with the color of dark cola. The head is fluffy and tan, but dissipates rather quickly.

Smell is dominated by smokey dark grain. Mild bitterness.

Taste is similiar to the nose with smokeyness making an impact. There is also a milk sweetness, and a touch of brown sugar. Malt does offer a sense of balance. Finish has an unusual sourness that seems to be an off flavor that really ruins things.

Mouthfeel is light to medium bodied. There is a bit of diacetyl butteryness.

Overall not a bad beer, but not very exciting either. I won't be seeking this one out.

Blakaeris, Nov 13, 2006
2.9/5  rDev -18.5%

Appearance: Pours a clear, dark brown body with no real head formation beyond some sporadic bubbles.

Smell: Dark, grainy malts with a slight note of fruit and some minor sweetish hints.

Taste: Dark malts provide modest tastes of chocolate and dark caramel with an overall light sweetness. A touch fruity. Hint of earthy molasses. Faint floral and spicy hops with a muted bitterness. Finishes dry with a light roastiness.

Mouthfeel: Light-bodied. Medium carbonation.

Drinkability: An almost acceptable schwarzbier, though I am a bit wary regarding this "artificial sweetener" listed under ingredients.

ChainGangGuy, Nov 20, 2008
2.93/5  rDev -17.7%

From chilled 0.5 L can into warmed pokal, this beer shows dark ruby-brown to black body with semi-persistent pearly head. Following the dark colour and solid head, one would expect typically aromatic malty-caramel smell, but the smell turns out to be faint and surprisingly weak.
On a first sip tastes really good, malty and roasted, with some smoke, but after that leaves somehow dull aftertaste in mouth.
Maybe I expected too much of Krušovice's beer, but this one is a bit of disappointment to me: too average, with nothing special to be remembered of.

Berecki, Aug 28, 2011
Krušovice Cerne from Královský Pivovar Krušovice a.s.