2. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Krušovice Cerne - Královský Pivovar Krušovice a.s.

Krušovice CerneKrušovice Cerne

good

Královský Pivovar Krušovice a.s. visit their website
Czech Republic

Schwarzbier |  3.80% ABV

(Beer added by: stoutman on 06-08-2003)
View: Beers (11) |  Events
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Reviewers
« first ‹ prev | 126-150 | 151-175 | 176-200  | next › last »
Ratings: 260 | Reviews: 189 | Show All Ratings:
whitehouse50

2.88/5  rDev -19.1%

Got a bottle of this from Tommy C. Pours a very dark almost black color with an egg shell white head.

Aromas, i'm not there were any. I could barely make out any sweet smells or hoppyness. Not much going on here.

Taste was similar as well. Reminded me of seltzer water. Very tingly on the tongue and I could not taste much at all.

M & D while the mouthfeel was not good, medium to lite body, I could probably drink this all day, maybe in the summer. But give me a weiss any day of the week.

04-06-2009 22:08:48 | More by whitehouse50
crnipeter

Slovenia

2.88/5  rDev -19.1%

Pours very dark brown with rubby highlights (seems opaque but is actually clear), capped by rather thin yet well-formed light-tan creamy head that holds well. Aroma is moderately malty with caramel and dark chocolate qualities and herbal-spicy hops in the background. Flavor is rather neutral malt with moderate herbal-spicy hops leading into the dry finish with lingering roastiness complemented by hop-bitterness. Medium-light bodied and watery on the palate.

06-07-2011 13:05:10 | More by crnipeter
AltBock

2.85/5  rDev -19.9%

1 pint .9 fl oz. bottle with a black and gold colored label that has the name of the beer in a red and gold rectangle. This rectangle has a gold crown on the top of it and it's surrounded by 4 gold coins. The whole front is written in Czech, so good luck with that. The back label is written in English and that contains the US Government warning, US importer, refund values, barcode, and a born on date of 8/15/2006. The back label also lists the ingredients. The ingredients are as follows: water, malt, hops, and artificial sweetner. Wait one moment! Did I just say that this beer contains artificial sweetner? I sure did! I can't think of one good reason on why this has artificial sweetner in it. What? Is real sweetner not good enough for the consumer? If that isn't enough, they label this as a "Flavoured Imported Dark Beer." Not only does this beer contain artificial sweetner, but this is an imported dark beer flavored beer.

Appearance: When poured into a Pilsner glass, this flavored dark beer is a dark mahagony brown with a massive 4 inch creamy head of tan foam. It seemed like forever for the head of foam to recede to a point where I could drink the sweet liquid behind it. When it did recede, it left behind a tan colored film and tons of tan colored lace in its tracks.

Smell: The main aroma of this beer had to be the malted cereal. It smelled exactly like cold cheap cereal. The kind of cheap bagged cereal that you get on the bottom shelf of the cereal aisle. Once I got pass the cheap cereal aroma, I only got 2 more aromas after that, a hint a roasted coffee beans and a small trace of milk chocolate. Maybe I should have said 3 aromas because sometimes I got an aroma of burnt wood. Well, whatever it was, it was clearly a somekind of burnt aroma.

Taste: It had a light and somewhat watery taste of malted cereal, roasted mals, milk chocolate, sweet caramel, and a pinch of artificial sweetner. I knew the sweetner was coming into the play soon. Wow! Everything they listed under the ingredients was there, even the water and sweenter. It's a good thing they listed the ingredients because I would have wondered why I was tasting water and sweetner. Thanks Krušovice!

Mouthfeel: The mouthfeel was light, watery, and thin. Not only was there that, but it also contained a short lived aftertaste of sweet malted grains and a dab of milk chocolate.

Drinkability: I wouldn't have thought that a beer made with artificial sweetner would taste that good and this beer proved me right. The only thing I can say about this beer is that it's different. Not a good different, but it still was different.

01-26-2008 18:06:35 | More by AltBock
bashiba

Iowa

2.8/5  rDev -21.3%

Poured a nice deep black with a long lasting thick creamy head.

Smell has light malts notes, but is dominated by a musty funkiness that I don't particulary care for.

Light malty flavor with hints of cola and coffee. Just a bit of bittering in the finish, but overall malt dominated.

Mouthfeel is light and thin.

Overall easy enough to drink, but not at all great.

11-13-2006 01:24:23 | More by bashiba
rarbring

Sweden

2.75/5  rDev -22.8%

A darkbrown beer with la small beige head.

A faint smell of roasted coffee, sweet dried fruits and burnt bread.

The sweet tones are dominating, dried plums and dates, some roasted notes, very short bitterness.

Rather creamy mouthfeell.

In all a bit bland, no specific highlights.

Serving type: can

01-21-2010 14:03:25 | More by rarbring
dmamiano

West Virginia

2.7/5  rDev -24.2%

Born on date 11-15-07.
Poured deep brown with a big tan head and lacing left behind.
Chocolate, roastiness and some actual medicinal notes in the aroma.
Taste was very sweet, black licorice and figs on the palate. Strange lingering finish. Once again remindiing me of medicine.
I will not buy again, just not my fancy.

07-30-2008 23:31:30 | More by dmamiano
BlackHaddock

United Kingdom (England)

2.58/5  rDev -27.5%
look: 4 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

500ml bottle, best before November 2007, drank in June 2007.

I chose this beer (from my stash) because I had some Chilli Edam cheese my wife had bought for my Belgian beer night and I wouldn't let her serve it because it would have ruined the tastebuds of everyone. I wanted to eat the cheese with a beer that would complement each other. My review is for the beer before I started eating the chilli cheese, although I enjoyed it more washing down the biscuits and cheese.

Poured into my Gordon's Finest Gold thistle glass, it looks great.
Dark with an off white head.

The aroma is of sweet malts, the taste is weak and thin, so too the mouthfeel.

I thought this might be disappointing, I wasn't mistaken, it will help wash down the chilli cheese.

06-02-2007 20:45:41 | More by BlackHaddock
Blupoet03

2.48/5  rDev -30.3%

This beer poured black into a pint glass with a very thin, lacy head that diminished quickly. Once in the glass, it looked like Coke.

The nose has a very light caramel malt character and very light hops snap.

In the mouth, the beer's carbonation is released and the malt almost disappears, but presents itself as toasted rye. Almost all taste is in the back of the mouth - bitter hops. The aftertaste is very dry. It is a refreshing beer at first, but the dryness of the finish ended up making me thirstier.

I had higher expectations for this beer than it delivered, and I certainly wont go out of my way for it. I noticed afterwards that the ingredient list includes artificial sweetener, which may account for the "just not right" taste.

08-06-2007 02:06:12 | More by Blupoet03
moester13

Nebraska

2.48/5  rDev -30.3%
look: 4 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 2.5

Looks wonderful, dark brown with 2 fingers of swelling tan head, awesome retention.
Raisin and honey malt aroma, alcohol is noticeable in the nose.
bitter chocolate roastiness, fading into a raisin-y sweetness, not a whole lot of hop presence or lingering notes of anything.
Mouthfeel was a real let down, bordering on diet water.
I feel like this beer would be great with a heavier body. I'd drink it again, but I'm not going out of my way to find it.

04-05-2011 18:17:07 | More by moester13
GRG1313

2.42/5  rDev -32%

Schwartzbier having a "born" date of March 8, 2009. Perhaps I tried this WAY too late. I don't think that this beer is meant to be tried a year later, at all. I will try again when I see it fresher. However, for a year old, it pours black with a thick tan head that is nice looking but quickly fades. There is no nose but for a very small hint of pumpernickel; very faint. Wow. No body; no character; no flavor except a hint of yeast and hops....a small hint. Not to try a bottle of this a year old again. Will re-visit this review if and when I try a fresh one.

10-11-2010 01:38:48 | More by GRG1313
djmichaelk

2.4/5  rDev -32.6%

500ml bottle bottled on 2/26/09, courtesy of BobbysLiquors. Thanks, Dee!

A - Pours a somewhat translucent coffee color, with a finger or two or off-white head. Decent retention but not much lacing. Not a bad start.

S - Some roast, a bit of grain, and some soft brown sugar sweetness. Not bad by any stretch, but the problem is that it's just barely there. I have a really work to get much aroma out of it at all.

T - Similar to the nose, with plenty of roastiness. There's an almond note to it, followed by some bready flavors, and then it has an odd bitterness to the finish, almost like stale coffee. More like a brown ale than a schwarzbier. But either way just not all that good, just pretty bland.

M - It's soft and velvety, which is kind of a surprise. It opened with a prickly carbonation, but that gave way to a softness that reminds me of a nitro stout.

D - The very low abv makes this one easy to put away, but the flavors, or lack of them, makes it hard to reach for another. One and done.

O - Not a terrible beer, but not something I'd go out of my way to track down. And by out of my way I mean lift a finger to pick one up.

02-13-2011 17:55:00 | More by djmichaelk
mikeg67

2.33/5  rDev -34.6%

500 ml. 1 year old bottle. Pours black with a thick, long lasting off-white head and much lacing. Aroma is of sour dough, toast and hints of hops. Light, smooth body. Taste is of toasted malt and not much else. I hope to find a fresh bottle next time.

09-12-2011 19:16:57 | More by mikeg67
TripelMajor

2.08/5  rDev -41.6%

Accidental purchase wanted to buy their fairly solid Pilsner won't make this mistake again.

Adjuncts create a sickeningly sweet taste that results in a cross between a Schwarzbeir and a NA Malt beverage. Low alcohol.

It pours like a promising Schwarz, but smells and tastes like soda. Completely wrong for me. It has some good roasty malts that helped me finish this but overall it's a bad brew. Too sweet, flavor seems piped in from the additional malts and artificial flavors. Hard to finish the bottle.

07-08-2007 23:18:59 | More by TripelMajor
Taz_Michael

1.3/5  rDev -63.5%

Tastes like the foil wrap that covers the neck and cap. I don't want to be too much of a naysayer, so I'll use a filler here: blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah. I couldn't make it past the third sip. Drink, drank, drunk.... dumped!

08-09-2013 02:31:15 | More by Taz_Michael
« first ‹ prev | 126-150 | 151-175 | 176-200  | next › last »
Krušovice Cerne from Královský Pivovar Krušovice a.s.