Krušovice Cerne - Královský Pivovar Krušovice a.s.

Krušovice CerneKrušovice Cerne

good

Královský Pivovar Krušovice a.s. visit their website
Czech Republic

Schwarzbier |  3.80% ABV

(Beer added by: stoutman on 06-08-2003)
3.5/5  rDev -1.7%

3.33/5  rDev -6.5%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

2.98/5  rDev -16.3%

Pours out dark brown with a nice tanned two finger head that fades pretty quickly, with medium carbonation and leaves little lacing. At first a caught a whiff of barnyard but it mellowed out to a coffee and chocolate smell. It had a light, watery mouth feel with a burnt coffee, chocolate taste and a hint of metallic. Overall, I probably wouldn't buy again.

3.43/5  rDev -3.7%

As always, I approached this European lager with trepidation. As often as not, they arrive on our shelves showing some abuse. Fortunately, this one had survived in still-drinkable shape. The only flaw I could detect was a slight oxidation note, just detectable in the aroma and flavor...not quite enough to put me off, just enough to notice. I was a little surprised to read on the back that it has artificial sweetener added to it. Upon drinking, I can believe this, since I would expect a 3.8% beer to be a bit more on the dry side, where this one finishes with a slightly sticky sweetness. Not a lot, mind you, they at least held themselves to sweetening just enough to offset the roasted bitterness. I would rather have paid a little bit more money to get a beer that was brewed stronger to achieve that sweetness through residual malt sugars, though. Oh well, I guess that's why there's more than one brewer in the world. All in all, not a bad product with decent caramelly malt character. The quest continues...

3.75/5  rDev +5.3%

2.48/5  rDev -30.3%

This beer poured black into a pint glass with a very thin, lacy head that diminished quickly. Once in the glass, it looked like Coke.

The nose has a very light caramel malt character and very light hops snap.

In the mouth, the beer's carbonation is released and the malt almost disappears, but presents itself as toasted rye. Almost all taste is in the back of the mouth - bitter hops. The aftertaste is very dry. It is a refreshing beer at first, but the dryness of the finish ended up making me thirstier.

I had higher expectations for this beer than it delivered, and I certainly wont go out of my way for it. I noticed afterwards that the ingredient list includes artificial sweetener, which may account for the "just not right" taste.

3.2/5  rDev -10.1%

No music, just have the Bruins game going in the background. Been meaning to grab this for years now - and just never have. $1.99 for a 25 oz of beer?, sign me up.

As you would expect with a Schwarzbier, its dark but not thick on the pour. A nice brown head settles down quickly leaving some tan bubbles floating around the top. It's actually more cola reddish brown than black, but has a nice inviting color.

I smell coffee and black licorice flavored malts with a very faint and muted smoky hint to it. It could use more malt though - it comes up a bit short

The malt smells more prominent than they taste, and when upon my first sip - albeit to cold - the flavors are a bit muted. I get a bit of a bitter chocolate/coffee taste around the edges. I don't know why, but this reminds me of a walnut in many ways. At first I was going to say it tasted like a walnut shell - but as it warms up it actually reminds me of the nut itself. Maybe a little cocoa and caramel - but more than anything else it is very very light. Somewhere in there you get the very subtle floral hops character - but in a beer that doesn't have much character to start... it is not easy for my palate to place

It is certainly drinkable - but I would like to have a bit more character. It could use some more body, a richer malty flavor, and just better execution. I thought it would improve as it warmed, but it didn't.

Overall - a nice larger, especially for the value... but not something I will be coming back to often.

3.33/5  rDev -6.5%
look: 4 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

1 Pt. 9oz bottle into Pilaarbijter pilsner glass

A - Settled into a two-finger, maltish-looking head which dissipated within minutes leaving just a film; dark cherry looking brew, when held up to light, otherwise opaque

S - Seemed to be a heavy hop smell when first poured, but then nothing... The smell somewhat disappeared, a bit of caramel once it warmed a bit

T-M - Thin, malty nose, watery, hops, a touch of wood in the finish.

D - Decent brew, though a bit watered down for my taste

4.75/5  rDev +33.4%

3.68/5  rDev +3.4%

A classic looking 500ml europian bottle with gold aluminum foil and a pretty black label.
Poured it into a mug. The beer is very dark brown, like a porter.
Nice off-white head that stays for a while but not too long.
Pleasant light roasted aroma with hints of caramel, chocolate and dark bread.
The chocolate is back on the tongue as well, together with some coffee and toffee, roasted malts and mild hops at the end.
Medium body and perfect carbonation help a lot with the drinkability, which was high to begin with.
a very decent schwartz - one of the best I had of this style.

3.5/5  rDev -1.7%

3.8/5  rDev +6.7%

4.5/5  rDev +26.4%

2.93/5  rDev -17.7%

From chilled 0.5 L can into warmed pokal, this beer shows dark ruby-brown to black body with semi-persistent pearly head. Following the dark colour and solid head, one would expect typically aromatic malty-caramel smell, but the smell turns out to be faint and surprisingly weak.
On a first sip tastes really good, malty and roasted, with some smoke, but after that leaves somehow dull aftertaste in mouth.
Maybe I expected too much of Krušovice's beer, but this one is a bit of disappointment to me: too average, with nothing special to be remembered of.

3.75/5  rDev +5.3%

2.48/5  rDev -30.3%
look: 4 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 2.5

Looks wonderful, dark brown with 2 fingers of swelling tan head, awesome retention.
Raisin and honey malt aroma, alcohol is noticeable in the nose.
bitter chocolate roastiness, fading into a raisin-y sweetness, not a whole lot of hop presence or lingering notes of anything.
Mouthfeel was a real let down, bordering on diet water.
I feel like this beer would be great with a heavier body. I'd drink it again, but I'm not going out of my way to find it.

3.65/5  rDev +2.5%

Krusovice Cerne is a very dark beer but with a fluid pour. The head is a thick caramel color and laces the glass beautifully. The smell of hops is pungeant, but the hoppy taste you would expect is not there. The flavor is that of coffee and caramel.

You would think the beer would be a thick stout by the color, but it is actually a rather smooth beer to drink. The beer has the tendancy to coat your tongue which is less appealing, but the taste is similar to that of its smell.

2.08/5  rDev -41.6%

Accidental purchase wanted to buy their fairly solid Pilsner won't make this mistake again.

Adjuncts create a sickeningly sweet taste that results in a cross between a Schwarzbeir and a NA Malt beverage. Low alcohol.

It pours like a promising Schwarz, but smells and tastes like soda. Completely wrong for me. It has some good roasty malts that helped me finish this but overall it's a bad brew. Too sweet, flavor seems piped in from the additional malts and artificial flavors. Hard to finish the bottle.

4.25/5  rDev +19.4%

Krušovice Cerne from Královský Pivovar Krušovice a.s.