Hopus - Brasserie Lefèbvre SA

HopusHopus

good

Brasserie Lefèbvre SA visit their website

Belgian IPA |  8.30% ABV

(Beer added by: Absumaster on 01-29-2009)
3.78/5  rDev +1.6%

Pours a three finger thick, foam rocky-like white head into my Hopus glass. (Very cool.) Pours a clear pale lemon yellow color with very active carbonation. If this were poured into a pils glass, it could easily be mistaken as such, the foamy head would give it away but the color is similar. The foam sticks to the sides of the glass like cotton candy or paste.

The aroma is a little earthy, lemons, yeasty. For a Belgian ale, it's really subdued and not what I expected, a let down in some regards so I scored it lower in this department.

Tastes more like a Belgian blonde beer than an IPA. The hops are present, but not overly, very mild, finishes more on the sweet side than the hoppy side for an IPA interpretation. Picking up apples, a little lemon, mild spice, malts. Minutes after the taste it leave a mild lemon-like sweet and sour tang/zing in the back of the mouth, very different.

Light body and lots of carbonation on the tongue. It's 8.5% and does not come through in the aroma or in the taste, pretty amazing really. I think the label will lead alot of us Americans to believe it will be more of a hopped up brew since we are so addicted to the hop. For a Belgian Ale, it's a little hoppy, but not overly. It's very drinkable, different, I might enjoy a few of these on a hot summer day, but definitely not one of my favorites for the style.

jzeilinger, Jan 26, 2010
4.33/5  rDev +16.4%

A - Poured a hazy golden color with a white head that leaves lacing behind

S - Is of sweet malt hops and Belgian yeast

T - Follows the nose lots of sweet malt upfront then the hops and yeast come through

M - This beer has a medium body with med high carbonation to it

D - I an really liking this beer this is an awesome blend of styles if you like Belgians and well balanced ipas this is a beer to seek out

armock, Jan 23, 2010
3.35/5  rDev -9.9%

A: Pours a cloudy golden yellow with about one finger of head. Medium amount of lacing left on the sides of the glass.

S: Belgian yeast, apple, pears, and floral aromatics. I smell some hops, but not nearly as much as I expected from the name.

T: A bit like a dubble or heffeweisse... Subtle light fruits, a little bubblegum, and even a hint of sour. Some hints of bitter hops come through on the finish, but are by no means a prominent aspect of the flavor. Only so-so I would say.

M: Pretty light bodied with a decent amount of carbonation. Finishes a little dry.

D: It's O.K. I would say. Basically, it feels like a Belgian Pale Ale with some hops thrown in... but the hops changed the overall character of the beer very little.

MrDanno96, Jan 16, 2010
3.48/5  rDev -6.5%

Lefebvre Hopus Ale

"Brutus, Amarus, Flavusque. (?)"

Lightly hazed and yellow...enormous, bright white head, leaving much lace.

sharp and bitter aromatics, floral, lemony...

Bitter, hoppy slap to the palate up front, then softly faded back...gets milder, slightly sweetwhile retaining the hoppy flavor. Needs more body, and a bit more from the hops to compare to Poperings and the like.

feloniousmonk, Jan 10, 2010
3.33/5  rDev -10.5%

Poured from bottle into my Tripel Karmeliet tulip glass. Cool swingtop.

A: Poured quite light golden amber with huge head and substantial lacing. Really nice looking brew.

S: Belgian yeast with citrus is the main tone on the nose.

T & M: I have limited experience with Belgian IPAs but I did really enjoy Piraat. When I saw this beer at S&K in Plano but I figured I'd give it a go. Mouthfeel is very thin with the carbonation very apparent. Taste is pretty thin too. Up front thin almost lemon zesty qualities, finish is tart and mildly bitter. Balance just seems a little off, I would have a little more malt backing.

D: I was somewhat underwhelmed by this brew. Don't think I'll be seekig out again but it is not terrible.

elniko, Jan 03, 2010
3.05/5  rDev -18%

A swingtop 330 mL bottle purchased at the Brass Rail Deli.

A: The bottle offered up a loud pop when opened, followed by a thick plume of gas. Poured into my goblet, the head was voluminous, requiring two pours to empty. In my glass, the ale is a straw color, golden but hazed over a bit. The notorious head has left extensive lacing behind.

S: The nose drives home a solid tripel aroma, with sweet candi sugars, some pepper and fruity yeast notes. Mild earthy hops eventually emerge.

T: More Belgian pale and than IPA tastewise. The fruitiness of the nose is scaled back drastically, releasing residual sugars late in the game. Hops linger throughout but never make that statement that Belgian IPAs need. The body is predominantly malty with just a bit of fruitiness running around.

M: The mouthfeel is average, nothing really exciting happening.

D: It's not offensive, it just lacks the Belgian IPA kick that I like. I'm glad I only bought one bottle.

akorsak, Jan 01, 2010
2.78/5  rDev -25.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

A: Golden yellow color with a big head that disappears in seconds but leaves decent lacing.
S: Sulphur aroma with some pine.
T: Flavor is bitter throughout without much complexity or character.
M: Light bodied, especially for the style.
D: Best skipped, I think, although it's a few notches above a drainpour.

Travlr, Dec 23, 2009
2.8/5  rDev -24.7%

First of a group of awesome Belgians from the lady friend. Had never heard of this one and am intrigued.

Appearance - Pours with a ton of stark white head. The beer itself is sort of an old straw color, with a hint of apple cider. Fairly opaque. The head settles down leaving some meringue-like pockets. It laces in big chunks. An interesting looking beer. The head is intense, but the beer itself look slightly odd.

Aroma - Similar to the appearance in its' strangeness. It's quite grassy, but it has a ton of yeastiness. Almost funky, but mostly just dank. Was hoping for some bright citrus to come through, but instead there is almost a cleaning solvent smell. More like a saison smell than anything, but not as funky. Ton of esters.

Taste - Follows the smell, then falls off. It's certainly got a ton of grassy hops. Very dry, and the booze comes through much stronger than expected. Boy is it dry. A sort of sourness on the finish is downright unpleasant.

Mouthfeel - Easily the best part. Nice, rich carbonation.

Drinkability - That aftertaste is tough. Grassy/sour. One and done, thanks.

Well, it was a great present, and certainly an interesting experience. However I won't seek this out again or recommend it to others. There are just too many better beers in the world.

callmescraps, Dec 09, 2009
3.05/5  rDev -18%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

A-Well golly... This has the most carbonation I think any store bought beer I've ever had. Not including one beer I overcarbonated. I poured into my sniffer, and 98% of the glass was carbonation. And after the head slowly dissapates, turns out that the beer is clear yellow, with a humungus white head that has great retention and fluffy, rocky lacing all over the glass.

S-Well, hmmm... I'm not sure if it's citrusy hops I smell or just bright fruity esters from the yeast. I do think there is an earthy hoppiness in the nose, but I'm not sure I like the nose in the light that this is an IPA. hmmm...I think I like the nose. I think there is enough hops to call it an IPA...

T-The taste is much like the nose, but with more fruity, spicy esthers in the flavor than the nose. And of coarse a nice light, spicy bitterness that lingers for a good while. There is a huge lemon citrus note from the yeast. Kinda overwhelming the hops in the flavor.

M-The mouthfeel is very bubbly and dry in the finish. Huge carbonation which makes it crispy and refreshing I would think for a hot summer day.

D-Well, hmmmm... This beer is very unique and interesting in every way, and mostly not in a good and pleasing way. I think it goes down well, but I would'nt ever buy this beer again. But I'm glad I tried it. hmmmm... I think it just doesn't have enough hops for me...

hoplover82, Nov 24, 2009
3.6/5  rDev -3.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

Despite a gentle pour, I got an enormous head on this, taller than the beer itself, in this straight pint glass. As for the aroma: Belgian IPA? There's only a light hint of hops, with a touch of grainy malt. Bitterness comes through better in the taste, but it's still not as high as many triples or saisons. Hop flavor is low, but offers some light grassiness. Lots of fruity/honey yeast character, with some bitter phenols as it lingers at the end. Good mouthfeel, lots of carbonation.

Really, a rather bland beer. I'd call it a generic Belgian blonde, not an IPA.

allengarvin, Nov 23, 2009
3.65/5  rDev -1.9%

pours a clear amber/yellow with over two fingers of very even white head. long retention and heavy lacing.

smell: mostly yeasty with some sort of sweetness. no hops. no alchohol. smells like a corny/ricey macro to be honest.

taste: tastes like a hefe with alot of subtle hops thrown in the mix. im also getting some floral tastes. it is quite a nice turnaround from the smell.

mouthfeel and drinkability: this beer is very sessionable and would also be great for introducing some non beer advocates to different styles. it has a well masked high abv and a very complex flavor. some aspects of this beer i really dont like and others i do.

northaustin, Nov 19, 2009
3.68/5  rDev -1.1%

Unusual bottle, its an 11.2 ouncer and its a swingtop...rinsed and will be a sauce dispenser of some sort in its next life...this one poured cloudy light tangarine. Sweeter nose with a moderate hony whiff. Pleasant enough Belgian pale, the hops seemed to be on the muted/subtle side, so not sure what makes this one an "IPA". Worth a try but nothing to get overly excited about.

Billolick, Oct 31, 2009
4.13/5  rDev +11%

I had this at d'Afspraak in Mechelen. They used an interesting way of presenting the beer: you get the clear beer poured in the Hopus glass, and the sediment (mostly hops residue) in a smaller liqueur glass next to it. Up to you if you choose to ignore it, taste it pure, or pour the sediment in the Hopus glass.

Colour is a nice golden, straw. Clear or clouded, depending on whether you poured the sediment or not. Gigantic head, typical of this type of beer.
Smell is subtle, hints of malt and hops, but less than what you'd expect.
Light, fresh taste. Citrusy, with the bitterness of the hops only kicking in at the end.
Surprisingly, this is 8.5% ABV; you don't smell, taste or feel it... until it's too late.
Very nice new beer, very drinkable, very enjoyable.

Paisan, Oct 30, 2009
3.58/5  rDev -3.8%

12 oz fliptop.

A: What always impresses me with the Belgian IPAs made in Belgium is the head. Nothing else comes close. It seperates and looks like a chunk of marshmallow is floating around in liquid marshmallow. The beer itself is a hazy golden color.

S: Kind of bland really. I get a touch of malt but that is about it. No hops to speak of.

T: Taste is much better than the nose. Has a really nice tripel sweetness with all of those fruity esters that you want. The downside is you only get the hop bitterness in the end. It is a really nice tripel then just all of a sudden goes into a super bitter finish.

M: Very light mouthfeel. Well carbonated.

D: I enjoyed the beer it is just way off style. The more belgian IPAs that I have the more I realize LaChouffe really did nail it down. This is good but stick to the Chouffe.

aerozeppl, Oct 29, 2009
3.63/5  rDev -2.4%

My first review!

This was purchased at McHughs on the Malahide Road, in Dublin, for a whopping 3.99 euro - I had high expectations....

Appearance - Pours a lovely light straw colour. Quite carbonated with a 1-2 inch head.

Smell - Quite sweet. The aroma is overall disappointing - no real hit

Taste - this is a delicate blond. Its light & refreshing, with a hint of citrus. It didn't have an overwhelming alcohol taste considering the high percentage.

Overall, this beer was lackluster. Packing no real punch. However, i'd gladly sip on 1 or 6. Its very drinkable.

Bismark, Oct 06, 2009
3.83/5  rDev +3%

Pours a clear, piss yellow. Foamy white head with great retention. Thin lacing.

Has an artificial sweet aroma, bit off-putting.

Taste is of citrus with spice and alcohol.

Medium bodied to thin in the mouth with moderate carbonation.

Not a hoppy beer like I was expecting. Big presentation with the beer glass and a separate shot glass for the sludge at the bottom. Average in my opinion though.

dstc, Sep 27, 2009
4.18/5  rDev +12.4%

Poured from a 330 ml bottle into a Hopus glass.

A-Beautiful 3 or 4 inches of white foam above a clear yellow amber ale. Pretty intense lacing.

S-Hops, Hops and fruit. Citrus and muscadine smells. Pleasant without being overwhelming.

T-Great Belgium IPA. Little indication in the taste that it is 8.5 % ABV. Lots of hops without being over bitter.

M-Medium body with good carbonation. Nice grape after taste.

D-I could drink it several times a week, if I could get my hands on it. I'm afraid that I will have to go back to the Belgium Online Beer store to get some more once these 6 are gone.

ProfessorCJ, Aug 22, 2009
3.43/5  rDev -7.8%

Poured from tap into a Hopus glass at Cambrinus in Brugge, Belgium about 3 weeks ago during a visit that I took immediately after arriving from Westvleteren and Cafe In de Vrede just about an hour southwest of Brugge. Hopus was the featured beer of the day at Cambrinus.

A 5 inch white head over a translucent lager like body. Impressive head and good lacing over a rather forgettable looking body.

S Blonde like malt, very little hops to my nose on repeated smells.

T Like a blonde, some zing in the middle taste possibly due to hops that I could just not smell.

M Full with big ABV and some hops.

D Fair drinkability due to its strength, lack of depth.

Notes: Glad that I had this (what a great place Cambrinus is!) but I do not think that I will try this one again.

adamette, Jun 30, 2009

A Strong Bitter Blond with bulky foam. A round Bitter taste with a hop finisch. Made from 5 different european Hops, the result is a fabulous beer with a unique combination of bitterness and aroma. Served in a beautiful glass and a little yeast glass.

beer4, Jun 30, 2009
4.33/5  rDev +16.4%

Had at cafe delirium where it is listed as "the best new beer of 2008"

considering the label i had to try it.

This was like nothing else I'd ever had

pours a pale aleish color.

Smell is a mix of wild yeasts and some nice almost americanesque hop character. There were also some nice citrus notes in there.

The taste was so much fruit and citrus it was really incredible, and it finished with a great hop bitterness.

Beautiful and really unique beer - try this if you can.

benclimbs, Jun 27, 2009
3.63/5  rDev -2.4%

Beer bottle (33 cl.), tasted in 2009.

Appearance : golden color, with beautiful white foamy head.
Smell : matly with floral hops aromas.
Taste and mouthfell : malty and alcohol presence, citric notes, with bitter finsih.
Drinkability : a good beer in the style Belgian strong ale (triple ?).

thierrynantes, Jun 26, 2009
4.33/5  rDev +16.4%

Pours a clear and bright golden yellow with a moussy head and good lacing

The aroma is quite hoppy with citrus notes and other sweet fruits as well as a bready malt backbone

The taste is really quite fruity as well as being quite hoppy and bitter. Apples, peaches, pears, some grapes even. The hops are citrusy with lime and lemon being sour and refreshing. Not as much Belgian yeast flavour as I'd imagine but I don't think that was the brewer's aim here. Quite a different BIPA, but very good.

Mouthfeel: Medium bodied (for a Belgian) and the carbonation was pretty high but softer than expected.

EatsTacos, Jun 08, 2009
4.38/5  rDev +17.7%

Have just returned from my latest trip to Brussels from the U.K. where I came across "Hopus" in one of my very favourite Belgian bars ... "Poechenellekelder"

It must be hard to introduce a new beer in such a richly stocked market place as Belgium so hats off to "Hopus" for managing to make an impression! Firstly, I do not think this beer is claiming to be an IPA, but it does have 5 varieties of hops used in it's production. The bitterness is there for sure but not pronounced. (I would put it in the Strong Belgian Pale Ale category)

Pours into an elegant elongated Duvel type tulip but Hopus has another glass, a shot glass, into which the last
25ml or so of beer is poured after a vigorous shake of the Grolsch flip type bottle. This gives you a different experience to the main beer via a cloudy sweet yeasty apperitif. It's what a lot of people do with the last of a Trappist Orval pour , but this is the first time I've seen a beer served with an extra glass for the lees!

Hopus itself has a huge foaming head similar to the mighty Duvel, and tastes like a cross between a Duvel and an IPA. It is refreshing and moorish and I don't really see the lager connection another reviewer alludes to?
It is better than that IMHO.
I will be interested to see how this beer fares. I brought a bottle home with some Westvleteren Blonde & Abt 12 as travel companions :o)

Immensely drinkable despite it's 8.3%.

Habanero58, May 23, 2009
3.8/5  rDev +2.2%

I tried this as it was new on the menu of the local belgian bar in my girlfriend's town. Not bad, though I'm not sure I'd use the title of IPA to describe it. The hop taste is definitely more apparent than other Belgian beers, though compared to other Belgian IPA's, it seemed somewhat lacking. Everything about it was good, though I would like to see less sweet and more bitter. The appearance was great though, served in a tall, narrow, thick glass. Cloudy tan with a slight orange tint. The smell was not necessarily distinctive, though it did not detract in any way from the overall experience of the beer. All in all a good beer and definitely worth a try. I can't say it's a favorite, but like I said, pretty decent.

friendofthedevil, May 23, 2009
3.8/5  rDev +2.2%

Pours hazy pale gold with big rocky white head with great retention and lots of lace. Musty lemon nose. Grainy with pineapple tones, some diacetyl and a husky finish. Light body and lively carbonation. Dries and tightens sharply on the aftertaste, where a bit of the ABV burns through.

Not hoppy enough to earn it's name (or style) but a pleasant strong blonde.

StJamesGate, Mar 06, 2009