Imperial - Cerveceria Costa Rica

Costa Rica

American Adjunct Lager |  4.60% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 05-31-2002

2.5/5  rDev -9.1%

appearance - There is nothing exceptional, nor anything detracting in the beer's look. It has a very pale hue, and I would have rated it a right at average if not for the complete lack of head.

smell - I could not rate the beer low for an "awful" smell simply because there is no significant aroma at all.

taste - The beer is not bad, simply bland....just a tick under average seems about right.

mouthfeel - The beer is very thin and watery, and I notice no pop from carbonation.

drinkability - If one can overlook the lack of taste, smell, and texture, this is the beer to drink. The absence of carbonation allows for easy drinking.

I won't be seeking this beer. Fortunately, it is not at all common, so I don't have to worry with being offered it and I won't be spending my money on this one. I've had much worse.

look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

I learned over the weekend that you could split up six-packs at Whole Foods. That allows me to give into my many curiosities in the least masochistic way possible. My curiosity led me to a single bottle of this Costa Rican lager with a label that reminds me of the graphics in King Ottokar's Sceptre, an old Tintin book that I read several times as a kid.

Appearance: The pour is a dull, slightly hazy light gold with a foamy, but quickly rescinding white head.

Smell: The nose is semi-unique amongst its macro peers, but not necessarily better. After light sweet malts and corn, there is an aroma that's somewhat similar to orange-banana-pineapple juice. It's interesting, it's just not that good.

Flavor: The taste is less eclectic. Sweet malts, adjuncts, grassy saaz hops, and a hint of banana.

Mouthfeel: Light and fizzy.

Drinkability: It's a little better than most of our adjunct lagers, but that's not saying much.

Imperial from Cerveceria Costa Rica