2. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Bavaria Dark Beer - Cerveceria Costa Rica

Bavaria Dark BeerBavaria Dark Beer

Cerveceria Costa Rica visit their website
Costa Rica

Munich Dunkel Lager |  ABV ?

(Beer added by: ADR on 07-31-2002)
View: Beers (10) |  Events
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Reviewers
Ratings: 37 | Reviews: 23 | Show All Ratings:
nekronos

Mexico

4.1/5  rDev +34.4%

Vey good, it surprised me when I drank it, it is a little sweet, ike a Bock, but strong like a Stout. Althoug a little lager, it does not mather it is a little dark, it was like a dark lager too. Perhaps, this is the best beer of the three Bavarias from this brewery.

10-13-2005 11:46:23 | More by nekronos
wyocoalminer

Wyoming

3.9/5  rDev +27.9%

Very limited selections in Costa Rica allowed me to down everything I could find. Considering what is around, I found this beer very good. The largest macro beer in the country is very disappointing. The feel of this beer is somewhat thin but I liked the Bock feel that it had. If your going to Costa Rica try this one last and you will really appreciate it.

03-31-2008 17:31:02 | More by wyocoalminer
TheEremite

3.85/5  rDev +26.2%

This is a good beer. It's somewhat malty and chocolaty, but remains light and refreshing. It's not overly sweet and not over done. It's a subtle and crisp. It could use a little more head retention, but it's a very nice beer. I'd be happy to have one on any occasion.

05-31-2008 22:54:16 | More by TheEremite
Shaggy9356

3.68/5  rDev +20.7%

Costa Rica may be notorious for everything from zip-lining through the jungle to watching the Arenal volcano erupt nightly, but definitely not for their beer. That being said, I tried everything I could find in Costa Rica including undrinkables like Rock Ice limon to their national beer Cerveza Imperial, but this was by far the best offering.

Bavaria dark reminded me of Negro modello, just a bit drier. Definitely wouldn't call it a bock, but whatever, it goes down easy, has a nice crisp taste and is refreshing after a long day of sloth spotting.

09-04-2008 00:45:00 | More by Shaggy9356
GodOfBeer

Ontario (Canada)

3.55/5  rDev +16.4%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

Most likely the best beer produced in Costa Rica. Beats the hell out of Imperial and any other local beer you can find.

Don't really remember the details of this beer as I mostly drank it out of the bottle on the beach.

From what I gather it was a dark brown with a thick white head, some nice roasty maltyness and sweetness mixed in.

Highly recommended for sure if you're ever in the country!

03-28-2014 01:24:59 | More by GodOfBeer
mwinnie

3.48/5  rDev +14.1%

I've been to Costa Rica 3 times so far and just discovered the dark version of Bavaria this last trip. So far may favorite was the Gold. I liked the dark, but it is a little bit of a stretch to call it a Munich Dunkel. The malt profile isn't there. I drank quite a few cans of this over the course of a week, with a local grocery store as my source most of the time. I never had one with off flavors or that tasted old and stale. It always was fresh. It is light enough in body and flavor to drink all afternoon on the beach, but I think I still prefer the Gold.

07-26-2006 13:42:03 | More by mwinnie
PhiloPsych

3.38/5  rDev +10.8%

This was the best beer I had while in Costa Rica for a week-long trip. Bavaria comes in several styles: light, gold, and dark. I only tried the dark version. I also had a couple other Costa Rican beers: Imperial (the flagship beer for the brewery) and Pilsen (which seemed to be more widely liked than Imperial). Imperial was not good at all, Pilsen wasn't bad as a sessioner, and I really thought Bavaria Dark was a fine beer. I thought it was a rather pretty beer--ruddy brown in the glass and quite red if held up to a bright light (e.g., the sun). It reminded me of Negra Modelo, but I actually liked it better than I like Negra Modelo--and Negra Modelo is my go-to beer at Mexican restaurants that don't have craft beer. So I would put Bavaria Dark above all the Mexican beers that are typically found in the US: Modelo, Pacifico, Dos Equis, Tecate, etc.

Bavaria Dark doesn't have much aroma to speak of. The mouthfeel is crisp and clean with moderate carbonation. The taste is predominantly caramel, though it isn't overly sweet. I didn't get any off or funky flavor (Negra Modelo often seems to be slightly funky); and I didn't get any bad aftertaste either (unlike with most macro lagers). I liked it. In fact, having been home for a couple days, I'm sorting of craving one. I'll go get some Negra Modelo for comparison.

07-09-2011 02:32:46 | More by PhiloPsych
Beertracker

Oklahoma

3.35/5  rDev +9.8%

Cerveceria's Bavaria (Dark Beer) pours up with a decent effervescance that creates a smallish tannish-white head that manages to ring the glass above the clear reddish brown body. Head retention is average at best! The aroma is rather lacking for such a dark beer with modest hints of caramel & roasted black malted barley, but otherwise very clean with a touch of pear like fruitiness. The flavor is fairly straight forward not unlike other mass marketed dark lagers that I've had, as there's good balance between the bitterness, graininess & roastiness that creates a fairly even, crisp drying finish that's neither distinct or offending. Medium-light bodied that's a bit thin, but not watery. Quite crisp for a dark lager. This really isn't a bad little beer especially considering where it's brewed e.g. tropical climate where there aren't many "dark" options. It doesn't remind me of Bavaria, but I'd drink another if I found myself stranded in Costa Rica.

CHEERS! Beertracker

01-30-2012 19:05:55 | More by Beertracker
JoeBloe

3.3/5  rDev +8.2%

doesn't really taste like a 'dark' beer - sort of like i remember lowenbrau or beck's dark that were offered as premium beers at certain 'steakhouses' - but bavaria dark is better than the other local (and 'imported'(heineken/corona/tonga)) offerings in costa rica - easy drinking with a modicum of flavor to compliment a meal - ok stuff in it's world.

02-23-2009 18:10:08 | More by JoeBloe
GooberMcNutly

3.1/5  rDev +1.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

While it may be a Schwarzbier like beer, Bavaria Dark was a lot lighter and crisper. The label says that it only contains water, malts, cereals and yeast. I don’t know if they consider corn a cereal, but that is what the label says.

Pours beautifully in the glass and has a thick, light tan head that holds up if the glass is clean. But most CR food is either greasy or the glass is not 100% clean, so the head will usually fall pretty quickly.

I would say that it is the best looking beer in CR, but the flavor drops off before the beers potential is reached. Still not as good as a Negro Modelo.

10-03-2006 14:19:55 | More by GooberMcNutly
Suds

3.08/5  rDev +1%

This was a gift from a friend who spent a few months in Costa Rica.
Pours with a thick, soft, very sticky head. The head retention is simply amazing. Extroridnary carbonation. No much in the smell...slightly grainy maltiness. Mildly chewy malt sweetness up front. Medium body. Overall, it's a sligthly better than average Dunkel. On the downside, there's a medicinal, slightly solvent-like off-flavor.

10-04-2003 19:34:49 | More by Suds
Redrover

3.03/5  rDev -0.7%

16 oz can no freshness date.

Beer pours a nice light brown with a large head (chemicals?). Not much lacing.
The smell contains some malts and adjuncts.

This was the best tasting beer I had in Costa Rica, but thats not saying much. Don't travel there for the beer, go to this country for the great beaches, rain forests, friendly people, etc.

Beer is on the sweeter side with the malt out muscling the hops. Adjuncts clearly present. I would have like to to tried on tap or from a bottle to see if the metallic taste I experienced was only there because of the can.

The drinkability is not bad and you won't have many better alternatives while visiting. I only found this beer in the capital of San Jose and could not find it again once I went into the remote areas.

04-01-2003 16:21:52 | More by Redrover
teamizm

2.98/5  rDev -2.3%

Pretty much all I drank while in Costa Rica. I preferred this to Imperial by leaps and bounds. Decent beer, light enough to be enjoyable in the Costa Rican heat, but has enough flavor that you don't feel like you're drinking piss water. Reminded me of a watery New Castle. It's all they got in Costa Rica in terms of flavor, so it's definitely the best beer on Costa Rica.

01-26-2009 22:28:15 | More by teamizm
ADR

2.9/5  rDev -4.9%

Clear and deeper brown, but not opaque. Head is impressive at first but settles into a big-bubbled fading cap at 50 seconds. Mostly a caramel aroma with a little sulfur whiff. Flavor is malt sweet, not easy to characterize, with a hop bite early. Lighter mouthfeel than implied by the color. What little hop there is is far superior to the malt. A little raisiny wateriness as the beer proceeds past the tongue. I'm sure its drinkable in the heat but where's the beef? Mucho thanks to my bud Dave Szy. for getting the bottle past 4 airport inspections on his way back from the island.

07-31-2002 07:21:34 | More by ADR
SeanChouffe

New Mexico

2.9/5  rDev -4.9%

Copper color with fine co2 and a beige rocky head -- retention is better than expected Aroma is malty, with a notable skunk presence (sulfur?). Flavor is sweet and lightly malty, with a metallic finish. Drinkable, crisp mouthfeel.
No earthshaking experience, but an interesting rendition of a dunkle. The aroma is a little unsettling, but overall, fairly well balanced. Bavaria Dark was the most drinkable beer I tied in Costa Rica.

04-02-2005 00:09:19 | More by SeanChouffe
charlzm

2.9/5  rDev -4.9%

Consumed February 24th, 2013. Poured from can into standard pint glass.

Beer looks like cola (very dark brown and clear) as it pours into glass. A two-finger off-white head forms and settled soon into the splotchiest, least-appealing crown I think I have ever seen on a beer.

Aromas - dark, juicy malts with overtones of nuts and candied fruits. An unfortunate metallic note kind of ruins it a bit.

Flavor - smooth and nutty with roasted notes. A touch of melanoidin. Not especially sweet or bitter. Easy to drink due to the relatively low flavor. Really, not much else going on there. If you've had a Negra Modelo, you know what to expect.

Mouthfeel - slightly smooth with a touch of creaminess. Finish is a little prickly due to carbonation.

Overall, drinkability is fine. A nice change from the light, fizzy yellow lagers that are apparently prevalent in Central America (and everywhere else, I guess), but nothing that's going to threaten to convert the masses or redefine the style.

02-25-2013 03:33:23 | More by charlzm
jcbogantes

2.89/5  rDev -5.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 3

This is the best beer made by the cerveceria de Costa Rica wish outstand a bit from the rest or their yellow lagers. The people is so just to drinking yellow beers in Costa Rica that some times they ask me what is that? what are you drinking?. luckily the craft beer movement is starting to take off around here. .
Appearance: Pours dark with white-ish 1 finger head with little retention, no lacing
Smell: lightly roasty and malty
Taste: toasty, nutty, sometimes smoky
Mouthfeel: light/midium bodied

07-27-2013 01:10:05 | More by jcbogantes
wagenvolks

2.73/5  rDev -10.5%

12 oz. can into a beer mug, served at "The Bat Cave" bar at La Mansion Inn, Costa Rica.

Pours a thin, yet dark, chocolate-mahogany color into the (frosted) mug. A small, light tan head recedes quickly thanks to the serving vessel, and leaves behind a wispy veil of foam. The aroma is unimpressive, with mostly adjuncts, cereal, and a hint of caramel malt showing up.

The flavor is fairly bland, but tries to taste like caramel and chocolate malts for a quick second before the finish takes over. Aftertaste is nearly non-existent, except for a metallic-grainy flavor that lingers a bit longer than necessary. Bavaria should take a cue from its more drinkable cousin, Imperial, and lose the aftertaste. Mouthfeel is watery and boring, with a decent carbonation level but not much else to write home about. Overall, a weak entry, but I suppose that's to be expected. Costa Rica deserves better beer!

01-06-2009 16:32:22 | More by wagenvolks
ybnorml

Rhode Island

2.63/5  rDev -13.8%

A clean very dark amber, nearly brown, beer with a small beige head. Has a light malty aroma with hints of molasses and chocolate. The flavor is an unexpected bready, biscuit, cookie kind of taste and mouthfeel with maybe the slightest hint of chocolate on the finish. This is nothing like any German dark beers that I have had so far.

11-29-2004 23:21:16 | More by ybnorml
Phyl21ca

Quebec (Canada)

2.25/5  rDev -26.2%

Bottle: Poured a clear black color lager with a small bubbly head with minimal retention. Aroma of light sweet notes with not much else noticeable. Taste is also a balanced mix between light sweet undertones and a watery finish. Body is OK for style with medium carbonation. I have a feeling this is the regular lager with some kind of colouring agent thrown in there.

12-31-2010 03:42:30 | More by Phyl21ca
kellywilson50

2.08/5  rDev -31.8%

At first sight, when comparing the other national beers in Costa Rica, one might get excited and assume that finally Bavaria Dark will deliver on the much needed flavor front. Well we all know what happens when you assume. The brownish-mahogany color is enticing but after a deep inhale it's forgotten and the thought, "this is just another unimpressive mass produced lager" enters your mind. Taste is bland with a very slight hint of caramel and not much else. Mouthfeel is watery and from the Bavaria family this in my opinion is the weakest.

03-21-2009 00:28:21 | More by kellywilson50
mndlssphlsphr

Washington

2.05/5  rDev -32.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 2 | overall: 2.5

Like a lager and not something dark. Something is wrong here. I ordered a dark, is the dark glass that I am drinking out of deceiving me? What is up with all this. I take it it’s opposite day or something. I do taste a bit of maltyness, but nothing like the prescription was prescribed. What drug company is this doc working for? I mean bottling distribution company, but still. This is not bavaria. Thats for sure, but end of the day in the down pour of a Costa monsoon its a lot better than bud. The head is a bit creamy, taste tolerable. Thus, I think this is the best you can aside from making it yourself in this country. That's not saying much, is it?

08-21-2012 23:22:41 | More by mndlssphlsphr
jaluria

Connecticut

With only a few beers sold in Costa Rica, I was willing to try just about every available beer. I came across a few cans of this stuff in a grocery store and decided to check it out; wish I hadn't. Just an awful beer (considering the style or not) that scared me straight.

It started with a semi-translucent, brown pour that left a soapy head. Aromas of astringent, vinegar, and spoiled fruit got my attention and not in a good way. The taste followed the smell with the addition of malt flavors that were not enjoyable or complex. Oily flavors came out as well and I had not idea what to make of it; seemed more like veg. oil than olive oil. Seemed like only one variety was used and it had passed its expiration years ago. Quite bitter in the finish with a sour taste left in the back of my throat. After a few sips, I couldn't bring myself to finish my glass, I had to give it away to my wife who had a few more sips before pouring it down the sink.

03-14-2006 21:26:09 | More by jaluria