Bavaria Dark Beer - Cerveceria Costa Rica

Bavaria Dark BeerBavaria Dark Beer

Cerveceria Costa Rica visit their website
Costa Rica

Munich Dunkel Lager |  ABV ?

(Beer added by: ADR on 07-31-2002)
« first ‹ prev | 1-25 | 26-50  | next › last »
4.1/5  rDev +34.4%

Vey good, it surprised me when I drank it, it is a little sweet, ike a Bock, but strong like a Stout. Althoug a little lager, it does not mather it is a little dark, it was like a dark lager too. Perhaps, this is the best beer of the three Bavarias from this brewery.

nekronos, Oct 13, 2005

Eindacor_DS, Jan 15, 2014
3.9/5  rDev +27.9%

Very limited selections in Costa Rica allowed me to down everything I could find. Considering what is around, I found this beer very good. The largest macro beer in the country is very disappointing. The feel of this beer is somewhat thin but I liked the Bock feel that it had. If your going to Costa Rica try this one last and you will really appreciate it.

wyocoalminer, Mar 31, 2008
3.85/5  rDev +26.2%

This is a good beer. It's somewhat malty and chocolaty, but remains light and refreshing. It's not overly sweet and not over done. It's a subtle and crisp. It could use a little more head retention, but it's a very nice beer. I'd be happy to have one on any occasion.

TheEremite, May 31, 2008
3.75/5  rDev +23%

magnusdave, Feb 20, 2013
3.68/5  rDev +20.7%

Costa Rica may be notorious for everything from zip-lining through the jungle to watching the Arenal volcano erupt nightly, but definitely not for their beer. That being said, I tried everything I could find in Costa Rica including undrinkables like Rock Ice limon to their national beer Cerveza Imperial, but this was by far the best offering.

Bavaria dark reminded me of Negro modello, just a bit drier. Definitely wouldn't call it a bock, but whatever, it goes down easy, has a nice crisp taste and is refreshing after a long day of sloth spotting.

Shaggy9356, Sep 04, 2008
3.55/5  rDev +16.4%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

Most likely the best beer produced in Costa Rica. Beats the hell out of Imperial and any other local beer you can find.

Don't really remember the details of this beer as I mostly drank it out of the bottle on the beach.

From what I gather it was a dark brown with a thick white head, some nice roasty maltyness and sweetness mixed in.

Highly recommended for sure if you're ever in the country!

GodOfBeer, Mar 28, 2014

jmhart, Jan 04, 2012

bonbini26, Jan 12, 2012

DegenErik, Sep 04, 2014

mbmyers3, Dec 31, 2011
3.48/5  rDev +14.1%

I've been to Costa Rica 3 times so far and just discovered the dark version of Bavaria this last trip. So far may favorite was the Gold. I liked the dark, but it is a little bit of a stretch to call it a Munich Dunkel. The malt profile isn't there. I drank quite a few cans of this over the course of a week, with a local grocery store as my source most of the time. I never had one with off flavors or that tasted old and stale. It always was fresh. It is light enough in body and flavor to drink all afternoon on the beach, but I think I still prefer the Gold.

mwinnie, Jul 26, 2006
3.38/5  rDev +10.8%

This was the best beer I had while in Costa Rica for a week-long trip. Bavaria comes in several styles: light, gold, and dark. I only tried the dark version. I also had a couple other Costa Rican beers: Imperial (the flagship beer for the brewery) and Pilsen (which seemed to be more widely liked than Imperial). Imperial was not good at all, Pilsen wasn't bad as a sessioner, and I really thought Bavaria Dark was a fine beer. I thought it was a rather pretty beer--ruddy brown in the glass and quite red if held up to a bright light (e.g., the sun). It reminded me of Negra Modelo, but I actually liked it better than I like Negra Modelo--and Negra Modelo is my go-to beer at Mexican restaurants that don't have craft beer. So I would put Bavaria Dark above all the Mexican beers that are typically found in the US: Modelo, Pacifico, Dos Equis, Tecate, etc.

Bavaria Dark doesn't have much aroma to speak of. The mouthfeel is crisp and clean with moderate carbonation. The taste is predominantly caramel, though it isn't overly sweet. I didn't get any off or funky flavor (Negra Modelo often seems to be slightly funky); and I didn't get any bad aftertaste either (unlike with most macro lagers). I liked it. In fact, having been home for a couple days, I'm sorting of craving one. I'll go get some Negra Modelo for comparison.

PhiloPsych, Jul 09, 2011
3.35/5  rDev +9.8%

Cerveceria's Bavaria (Dark Beer) pours up with a decent effervescance that creates a smallish tannish-white head that manages to ring the glass above the clear reddish brown body. Head retention is average at best! The aroma is rather lacking for such a dark beer with modest hints of caramel & roasted black malted barley, but otherwise very clean with a touch of pear like fruitiness. The flavor is fairly straight forward not unlike other mass marketed dark lagers that I've had, as there's good balance between the bitterness, graininess & roastiness that creates a fairly even, crisp drying finish that's neither distinct or offending. Medium-light bodied that's a bit thin, but not watery. Quite crisp for a dark lager. This really isn't a bad little beer especially considering where it's brewed e.g. tropical climate where there aren't many "dark" options. It doesn't remind me of Bavaria, but I'd drink another if I found myself stranded in Costa Rica.

CHEERS! Beertracker

Beertracker, Jan 30, 2012
3.3/5  rDev +8.2%

doesn't really taste like a 'dark' beer - sort of like i remember lowenbrau or beck's dark that were offered as premium beers at certain 'steakhouses' - but bavaria dark is better than the other local (and 'imported'(heineken/corona/tonga)) offerings in costa rica - easy drinking with a modicum of flavor to compliment a meal - ok stuff in it's world.

JoeBloe, Feb 23, 2009
3.25/5  rDev +6.6%

Tom-Peters, May 13, 2014
3.25/5  rDev +6.6%

mds1101, Dec 03, 2013
3.1/5  rDev +1.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

While it may be a Schwarzbier like beer, Bavaria Dark was a lot lighter and crisper. The label says that it only contains water, malts, cereals and yeast. I don’t know if they consider corn a cereal, but that is what the label says.

Pours beautifully in the glass and has a thick, light tan head that holds up if the glass is clean. But most CR food is either greasy or the glass is not 100% clean, so the head will usually fall pretty quickly.

I would say that it is the best looking beer in CR, but the flavor drops off before the beers potential is reached. Still not as good as a Negro Modelo.

GooberMcNutly, Oct 03, 2006
3.08/5  rDev +1%

This was a gift from a friend who spent a few months in Costa Rica.
Pours with a thick, soft, very sticky head. The head retention is simply amazing. Extroridnary carbonation. No much in the smell...slightly grainy maltiness. Mildly chewy malt sweetness up front. Medium body. Overall, it's a sligthly better than average Dunkel. On the downside, there's a medicinal, slightly solvent-like off-flavor.

Suds, Oct 04, 2003
3.03/5  rDev -0.7%

16 oz can no freshness date.

Beer pours a nice light brown with a large head (chemicals?). Not much lacing.
The smell contains some malts and adjuncts.

This was the best tasting beer I had in Costa Rica, but thats not saying much. Don't travel there for the beer, go to this country for the great beaches, rain forests, friendly people, etc.

Beer is on the sweeter side with the malt out muscling the hops. Adjuncts clearly present. I would have like to to tried on tap or from a bottle to see if the metallic taste I experienced was only there because of the can.

The drinkability is not bad and you won't have many better alternatives while visiting. I only found this beer in the capital of San Jose and could not find it again once I went into the remote areas.

Redrover, Apr 01, 2003

Jayschool, Apr 05, 2012

roqz, Aug 29, 2014

wdarcy77, Feb 26, 2012
2.98/5  rDev -2.3%

Pretty much all I drank while in Costa Rica. I preferred this to Imperial by leaps and bounds. Decent beer, light enough to be enjoyable in the Costa Rican heat, but has enough flavor that you don't feel like you're drinking piss water. Reminded me of a watery New Castle. It's all they got in Costa Rica in terms of flavor, so it's definitely the best beer on Costa Rica.

teamizm, Jan 26, 2009
2.9/5  rDev -4.9%

Clear and deeper brown, but not opaque. Head is impressive at first but settles into a big-bubbled fading cap at 50 seconds. Mostly a caramel aroma with a little sulfur whiff. Flavor is malt sweet, not easy to characterize, with a hop bite early. Lighter mouthfeel than implied by the color. What little hop there is is far superior to the malt. A little raisiny wateriness as the beer proceeds past the tongue. I'm sure its drinkable in the heat but where's the beef? Mucho thanks to my bud Dave Szy. for getting the bottle past 4 airport inspections on his way back from the island.

ADR, Jul 31, 2002