Bavaria Dark Beer - Cerveceria Costa Rica

Bavaria Dark BeerBavaria Dark Beer

Cerveceria Costa Rica visit their website
Costa Rica

Munich Dunkel Lager |  ABV ?

(Beer added by: ADR on 07-31-2002)
« first ‹ prev | 1-25 | 26-50  | next › last »
teamizm

2.98/5  rDev -2%

Pretty much all I drank while in Costa Rica. I preferred this to Imperial by leaps and bounds. Decent beer, light enough to be enjoyable in the Costa Rican heat, but has enough flavor that you don't feel like you're drinking piss water. Reminded me of a watery New Castle. It's all they got in Costa Rica in terms of flavor, so it's definitely the best beer on Costa Rica.

01-26-2009 22:28:15 | More by teamizm
wagenvolks

2.73/5  rDev -10.2%

12 oz. can into a beer mug, served at "The Bat Cave" bar at La Mansion Inn, Costa Rica.

Pours a thin, yet dark, chocolate-mahogany color into the (frosted) mug. A small, light tan head recedes quickly thanks to the serving vessel, and leaves behind a wispy veil of foam. The aroma is unimpressive, with mostly adjuncts, cereal, and a hint of caramel malt showing up.

The flavor is fairly bland, but tries to taste like caramel and chocolate malts for a quick second before the finish takes over. Aftertaste is nearly non-existent, except for a metallic-grainy flavor that lingers a bit longer than necessary. Bavaria should take a cue from its more drinkable cousin, Imperial, and lose the aftertaste. Mouthfeel is watery and boring, with a decent carbonation level but not much else to write home about. Overall, a weak entry, but I suppose that's to be expected. Costa Rica deserves better beer!

01-06-2009 16:32:22 | More by wagenvolks
Shaggy9356

3.68/5  rDev +21.1%

Costa Rica may be notorious for everything from zip-lining through the jungle to watching the Arenal volcano erupt nightly, but definitely not for their beer. That being said, I tried everything I could find in Costa Rica including undrinkables like Rock Ice limon to their national beer Cerveza Imperial, but this was by far the best offering.

Bavaria dark reminded me of Negro modello, just a bit drier. Definitely wouldn't call it a bock, but whatever, it goes down easy, has a nice crisp taste and is refreshing after a long day of sloth spotting.

09-04-2008 00:45:00 | More by Shaggy9356
TheEremite

3.85/5  rDev +26.6%

This is a good beer. It's somewhat malty and chocolaty, but remains light and refreshing. It's not overly sweet and not over done. It's a subtle and crisp. It could use a little more head retention, but it's a very nice beer. I'd be happy to have one on any occasion.

05-31-2008 22:54:16 | More by TheEremite
wyocoalminer

Wyoming

3.9/5  rDev +28.3%

Very limited selections in Costa Rica allowed me to down everything I could find. Considering what is around, I found this beer very good. The largest macro beer in the country is very disappointing. The feel of this beer is somewhat thin but I liked the Bock feel that it had. If your going to Costa Rica try this one last and you will really appreciate it.

03-31-2008 17:31:02 | More by wyocoalminer
GooberMcNutly

3.1/5  rDev +2%

While it may be a Schwarzbier like beer, Bavaria Dark was a lot lighter and crisper. The label says that it only contains water, malts, cereals and yeast. I don’t know if they consider corn a cereal, but that is what the label says.

Pours beautifully in the glass and has a thick, light tan head that holds up if the glass is clean. But most CR food is either greasy or the glass is not 100% clean, so the head will usually fall pretty quickly.

I would say that it is the best looking beer in CR, but the flavor drops off before the beers potential is reached. Still not as good as a Negro Modelo.

10-03-2006 14:19:55 | More by GooberMcNutly
mwinnie

3.48/5  rDev +14.5%

I've been to Costa Rica 3 times so far and just discovered the dark version of Bavaria this last trip. So far may favorite was the Gold. I liked the dark, but it is a little bit of a stretch to call it a Munich Dunkel. The malt profile isn't there. I drank quite a few cans of this over the course of a week, with a local grocery store as my source most of the time. I never had one with off flavors or that tasted old and stale. It always was fresh. It is light enough in body and flavor to drink all afternoon on the beach, but I think I still prefer the Gold.

07-26-2006 13:42:03 | More by mwinnie
jaluria

Connecticut

With only a few beers sold in Costa Rica, I was willing to try just about every available beer. I came across a few cans of this stuff in a grocery store and decided to check it out; wish I hadn't. Just an awful beer (considering the style or not) that scared me straight.

It started with a semi-translucent, brown pour that left a soapy head. Aromas of astringent, vinegar, and spoiled fruit got my attention and not in a good way. The taste followed the smell with the addition of malt flavors that were not enjoyable or complex. Oily flavors came out as well and I had not idea what to make of it; seemed more like veg. oil than olive oil. Seemed like only one variety was used and it had passed its expiration years ago. Quite bitter in the finish with a sour taste left in the back of my throat. After a few sips, I couldn't bring myself to finish my glass, I had to give it away to my wife who had a few more sips before pouring it down the sink.

03-14-2006 21:26:09 | More by jaluria
nekronos

Mexico

4.1/5  rDev +34.9%

Vey good, it surprised me when I drank it, it is a little sweet, ike a Bock, but strong like a Stout. Althoug a little lager, it does not mather it is a little dark, it was like a dark lager too. Perhaps, this is the best beer of the three Bavarias from this brewery.

10-13-2005 11:46:23 | More by nekronos
SeanChouffe

New Mexico

2.9/5  rDev -4.6%

Copper color with fine co2 and a beige rocky head -- retention is better than expected Aroma is malty, with a notable skunk presence (sulfur?). Flavor is sweet and lightly malty, with a metallic finish. Drinkable, crisp mouthfeel.
No earthshaking experience, but an interesting rendition of a dunkle. The aroma is a little unsettling, but overall, fairly well balanced. Bavaria Dark was the most drinkable beer I tied in Costa Rica.

04-02-2005 00:09:19 | More by SeanChouffe
ybnorml

Rhode Island

2.63/5  rDev -13.5%

A clean very dark amber, nearly brown, beer with a small beige head. Has a light malty aroma with hints of molasses and chocolate. The flavor is an unexpected bready, biscuit, cookie kind of taste and mouthfeel with maybe the slightest hint of chocolate on the finish. This is nothing like any German dark beers that I have had so far.

11-29-2004 23:21:16 | More by ybnorml
Suds

3.08/5  rDev +1.3%

This was a gift from a friend who spent a few months in Costa Rica.
Pours with a thick, soft, very sticky head. The head retention is simply amazing. Extroridnary carbonation. No much in the smell...slightly grainy maltiness. Mildly chewy malt sweetness up front. Medium body. Overall, it's a sligthly better than average Dunkel. On the downside, there's a medicinal, slightly solvent-like off-flavor.

10-04-2003 19:34:49 | More by Suds
Redrover

3.03/5  rDev -0.3%

16 oz can no freshness date.

Beer pours a nice light brown with a large head (chemicals?). Not much lacing.
The smell contains some malts and adjuncts.

This was the best tasting beer I had in Costa Rica, but thats not saying much. Don't travel there for the beer, go to this country for the great beaches, rain forests, friendly people, etc.

Beer is on the sweeter side with the malt out muscling the hops. Adjuncts clearly present. I would have like to to tried on tap or from a bottle to see if the metallic taste I experienced was only there because of the can.

The drinkability is not bad and you won't have many better alternatives while visiting. I only found this beer in the capital of San Jose and could not find it again once I went into the remote areas.

04-01-2003 16:21:52 | More by Redrover
ADR

2.9/5  rDev -4.6%

Clear and deeper brown, but not opaque. Head is impressive at first but settles into a big-bubbled fading cap at 50 seconds. Mostly a caramel aroma with a little sulfur whiff. Flavor is malt sweet, not easy to characterize, with a hop bite early. Lighter mouthfeel than implied by the color. What little hop there is is far superior to the malt. A little raisiny wateriness as the beer proceeds past the tongue. I'm sure its drinkable in the heat but where's the beef? Mucho thanks to my bud Dave Szy. for getting the bottle past 4 airport inspections on his way back from the island.

07-31-2002 07:21:34 | More by ADR