La Messagere - Microbrasserie Nouvelle-France

poor

Microbrasserie Nouvelle-France visit their website
Quebec, Canada

American Pale Ale (APA) |  4.70% ABV

(Beer added by: kbub6f on 07-18-2003)
Reviews by Rastacouere:
1.68/5  rDev -18.8%

Hmm, this was particularly not good. Very bland and watery with hints at cereals. I guess it's an okay move for people allergic to gluten, but it's just not a tasting beer and doesn't really deserve to be rated here since it obviously will get blasted.

Rastacouere, Jan 07, 2004
2.08/5  rDev +0.5%

341ml bottle. A friend of mine had a sixer of this left over at his place by a celiac friend of his, and this is apparently the best of the gluten-free lot, and I don't normally turn down a proffered beer, so here we go.

This beer pours like ginger ale, i.e. a clear, ridiculously pale straw colour, with one finger of very loosely foamy, and mostly fizzy dirty white head, which leaves a few specks of mitochondrial lace around the glass as it quickly blows off.

It smells of sweet, gritty rice, musty, somewhat sour and vegetal buckwheat, metallic mineral water, faint stale apple, and an ethereal dryness, that one might attribute to leafy, grassy hops, but I'm not that one. The taste is more semi-sweet, filmy and husky rice, lightly acrid and acetic pseudo-grain, a skanky wannabe cider-adjacent fruitiness, soft plastic phenols, and pretty much no hops to speak of.

The carbonation is fairly weak, barely a burble or frothy note to be found, the body a decent medium weight, but syrupy, cloying, and clammy, precluding any sense of smoothness. It finishes off-dry, with a weird, earthy graininess, and further overripe apple cider 'fruitiness'.

Not really an appealing beverage, let alone a decent beer. The rice makes it too sweet, and the buckwheat makes it odd and astringent - a one-two punch to my sensibilities. Deep are my sympathies to any and all gluten-allergic beer lovers out there.

biboergosum, Sep 04, 2009
1.7/5  rDev -17.9%

I was certainly not impressed. It had a decent pour, not much to look at. Really nothing to taste, but I didn't spit it out. Thanks to the broken 6-pak section of the LCBO I only had to try the one bottle. Very bland, powdery, watery mouthfeel. Aggressive carbonation.

Sammy, Jan 30, 2005
1.68/5  rDev -18.8%

This is good beer to drink on a hot day. This beer will please the beer drinkers that are allergic to gluten since the beer is made with rice and buckwheat. The taste is pretty sweet, I guess as result of the use of rice. Overall, I think more time has been spent on trying to reach a new market segment (gluten-free) the trying to come-up with a different tasting beer.

Phyl21ca, Jul 18, 2003
1.6/5  rDev -22.7%
look: 1.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1

This stuff is very pricey, at least here out West, similar to Australian imports. Classy label, the whole package has a nice look to it, makes it stand out along with declaring it's gluten-free goodness. This sample poured from a 341 ml brown bottle, best before on label is Feb.'05.

They weren't kidding on the label when they said this stuff was limpid. Very, VERY pale and clear, it almost looks diluted, with a very quick flash of carbonated head that doesn't last to the count of five. There is an acidic sourness on the nose, along with raw grains. The flavour also has a light vinegar sourness to it, reminds me a great deal of Rogue's Morimoto Soba ale, it must be the buckwheat. The mouthfeel is light and effervescent, very similar to club soda, although in this case it is the work of the rice. I can't say I'd even ever recommend this stuff to any aquaintances on a strict gluten-free diet who are craving a beer, it's not much of a substitute. I hope I come across some before Feb. of next year though, I still have 4 bottles of this stuff left that I don't feel very inspired to finish.

IronDjinn, Oct 12, 2004
2.35/5  rDev +13.5%

Well I am using that beer when I am cutting down on carbs dued to my lifting diet(God bless bodybuilding!). With all the low carb beer I had, this is probably the best. Like mentionned earlier for the people allergic to gluten it is a great alternative.

About the beer, taste like some major league players as it reminded me of a macro brew. No taste in particular, the head dissapear very fast. The golden color I do like, very strong and bubbling.

A beer to taste? No, more a beer to fill your needs(low carbs or allergic)

3Vandoo, Jul 23, 2004
1.55/5  rDev -25.1%
look: 1.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 2 | overall: 1.5

12oz bottle poured into a pint glass

Appearance - The beer pours a clear pale white wine colour with almost no head. This has to be the palest The small head that was there; was gone in a matter of seconds.

Smell - metallic, rice, buckwheat

Taste & Mouth - Another one of those beers that I had trouble keeping in my mouth long enough to sample properly. I just can't get past the buckwheat taste. It also seems very metallic.

Drink - Had to dump this one.. I'm so happy that I have no issues with gluten. I'd give up beer before I drank this.

spinrsx, Oct 09, 2010
1.25/5  rDev -39.6%

TheBeeraholic, Jun 16, 2013
2.13/5  rDev +2.9%

Rice and Buckwheat, Interesting combination. Picked it up from a broken 6 pack, and I'm glad I did.

This poured very fizzy and pale yellow, the head disappears nearly as quickly as it formed. The smell, ranks among one of the most offensive odors to pass my nose, rotting fruit with a sulfuric note. The fruit aroma is in the flavor, not absolutely horrible but the awful smell eminating from this brew makes it very difficult to enjoy. Thin club soda feel, the smell itself makes this one a difficult one to down.

This would be only the third beer i've poured down the drain.

funkengruven, Sep 13, 2006
3.48/5  rDev +68.1%

Best before March 2007.

A- Very clear pale gold. Decent effervescence. Small head that decreases to a light foam.

S- Mild. Touch of fruit. Rice beer character prevalent.

T- Mild rice beer with mild but pleasant grassy hops. Grainy buckwheat taste noticealble and a little sourness in there.

MF- Very light and refreshing but not watery (which was a pleasant surprise. Crisp, almost like a pale lager.

D- Very easy drinking. Good gluten-free alternative to light, crisp easy-drinking macros, which I think is what they were aiming for. I wasn't expecting much and was pleasantly surprised.

JOaikido, Jan 17, 2007
2.4/5  rDev +15.9%

I have decided to give this beer .5 points more per parameter than I normally would because it isnt made with barley. Its got to be hard to make a beer without it, also this is my first commercial example.

It pours like 1 part apple juice and 15 parts water... EXTREMELY pale. The head is pretty much non existent and leaves a trail or two of lace. The aroma is tart with lemon rind and plain yoghurt notes. Clean tart tastes make up the flavor. Some concord grapeskin and suju fleshiness are noticeable. Wheaty malt flavors are very fleeting. Hops should be more prominent. The mouthfeel is kind of sticky and lightly carbonated. The finish is mildly sour and not bitter at all.

This is an OK beverage but terrible as a beer.

CAMRAhardliner, Jul 03, 2007
2.33/5  rDev +12.6%

This stuff is $18.75 a six pack which makes this pricewise on par with Chimay. So what if it is gluten- free this is an overpriced crappy beer. The taste is soft and fruity with little body or hop bite. Kind of an ale and yet lager attributes also appear. I am going to mark this beer down partly because of the high price vs value.

canucklehead, Nov 23, 2004
2.88/5  rDev +39.1%

Bought at Marché du Boisé (boul. des Forges, T-R), 6/11/03, stored cool dark, 2600 miles in my trunk.

The head is white, crusty, medium in size, with some spotty lacing. The beer is crystal clear, a pale, pale gold. The nose is nutty, sour, grainsy, tangy. Front is tangy with a touch of citrus. The middle is sweet and thinnish. Sourish, nutty and watery at the end.

This is a fairly refreshing, original tasting beer. The buckwheat gives a different taste, for sure. Glad I tried it. Glad I bought only one.

kbub6f, Jul 22, 2003

deonreds, Jun 04, 2013
1.88/5  rDev -9.2%

Pour very fizzy, and overly carbonated. Very pale yellow color with little interest. The taste was ok, but very much out of balance compared to the nonexistent malt base. The beer was gone almost immedietely, not because it was good, but because there was not much there--went down like water. On the bottle it appeals to gluten-free product lovers, so if you're in the group it's very adequete. If not, go find something better.

FightingEntropy, Aug 11, 2006
2.8/5  rDev +35.3%

I was so excited when I saw this and picked this up, and for one reason only... it's Gluten free. Let me explain: Some people are afflicted with a disease known as celiac disease... people like my sister, and because of this they cannot eat ANY product made with wheat (you know, like beer) as they have an allergy to the protein gluten. (eating wheat causes them diarrhea, cramps, pain, bloating, etc.) Hence, this is the first beer my sis has had in about 3 years.

Granted, it's made of rice mostly, so it's only an average beer at best. It's a little on the weak side with some nice carbonation. No real strong odors or flavors, but that's really not the point. Now we know of a beer that my sister can drink, so from that standpoint La Messagere is a success, and has guaranteed itself a spot for a few bottles in my fridge. Hope the explanation helps, and if you have any friends with celiac take'em one. You'll make their day.

EMV, Sep 06, 2005
2.28/5  rDev +10.1%

bouteille brune de 341ml.

brassée uniquement avec du riz et du sarrasin

bière blonde d'une limpidité exemplaire. léger nez de bière brassée avec du riz, le sarrasin est inexistant. en bouche elle est mince, liquide, sans arrière-goût car elle n'a pas de goût du tout. bière pour ceux qui n'aime pas la bière.

rodenbach99, Dec 09, 2007
2.1/5  rDev +1.4%

A - Super light, super clear, with no head to speak of, but lots of little bubbles.
S - Kinda beery - somewhat apple-juicy, and tart.
T - Wow. Weak. Dry, apple notes. No hops to speak of. No malt either.
M - Thin and fizzy.
D - Not so good. Reminds me a bit of a cider actually, and it's OK as a very light, thirst quencher, but certainly not a flavourful beer. Only selling point is the gluten-free-ness, but I have no trouble with gluten so...

allergictomacros, Apr 04, 2006
2.08/5  rDev +0.5%

Purchased in August '04 with a best before date of February '05.

Well, its gluten free. If you have a problem with gluten now you have something to drink. Of the low carbs this is certainly one of the better ones. It seems unfair to review La Messageres for anything other than what it is: a low carb, gluten free drink that tastes a little like a macro beer. However, as a beer it is not much to get excited about. Its kinda sour at the front, sour in the middle, and sour at the end. It is much too thin for my liking. Interesting stuff. Good that folks keep working on these this though 'cause someday thewy will figure it out and we will have good specialty product.

PiratePete, Sep 01, 2004