1. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Totality Imperial Stout - FiftyFifty Brewing Co.

Totality Imperial StoutTotality Imperial Stout

FiftyFifty Brewing Co. visit their website

American Double / Imperial Stout |  10.00% ABV

formerly Roundabout Imperial Stout

(Beer added by: GClarkage on 10-22-2009)
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Reviewers
Ratings: 135 | Reviews: 44 | Show All Ratings:
Reviews by Alieniloquium:
Alieniloquium

3.83/5  rDev -5.7%

650 mL bottle poured into a snifter.

Appearance - Black with some transparency. Not much of a head. Thin khaki collar. Wispy on the surface.

Smell - Lots of black patent malt, molasses, and even some honey. Chocolatey.

Taste - Sweet, nice chocolate flavor. Lots of honey. Very sweet. Bitter dark chocolate in the back.

Mouthfeel - Highly carbonated. Not quite creamy. Kind of a sharp finish. No booze.

Overall - Tasty and a nice start to our Eclipse tasting.

04-06-2013 20:06:21 | More by Alieniloquium

Texasfan549

02-17-2014 04:31:54 | More by Texasfan549
BierJager89

4.38/5  rDev +7.9%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

A: Black with a creamy mocha head.

S: Dark chocolate, dark roast coffee in the nose.

T: Dark chocolate, coffee, some orange and a bit of pine hop character.

M: Full bodied and smoothish, kind of creamy.

O: Not the sweet imperial stout I thought it'd be, given that it's brewed with honey as well as the sweetness often displayed in the eclipses (of which this is the base stout). An excellent example of the style.

01-24-2014 04:52:46 | More by BierJager89

3.5/5  rDev -13.8%

11-29-2013 23:26:54 | More by dfhhead25
maximum12

4.2/5  rDev +3.4%

Many thanks to analogchainsaw for this bottle; I have been lusting after the base beer of the Eclipse series since I had my first sip. 22 oz. bottle split with my wife.

Trickle is dark black, with minimal carbonation. The nose, good guns, the nose issues forth like a Spartan from the Hot Gates. Beautiful roast, underlying molasses sweetness, licorice, dark fruits. Bloody gorgeous.

Totality proves what I always figured: the base beer kicks in Technicolor. Big notes of shriveled grapes, great heapings of roast loveliness greet the palate & overwhelm the senses. Mid-palate comes lesser beings of dark malts, sweetness, again that almost molasses-like sensation, chocolate, licorice. Ends with a blur of complexity & with me sucking at this like the bottle is a teat.

I'll go lick the lip of the bottle once I'm done with my glass & wish I had another. Totality see where Eclipse gets my love, because this is an excellent stout.

11-26-2013 03:41:08 | More by maximum12

MarioM

09-30-2013 01:25:38 | More by MarioM
SpeedwayJim

3.34/5  rDev -17.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3 | overall: 3

This is the base beer for the Imperial Eclipse series. I've never seen this beer in the US and lo and behold there it was sitting at Tanakaya in Japan. Needless to say, I was surprised. 22oz. bomber into a pint glass. Shared with schen9303.

Pours a 2.5 finger frothy mocha colored head with great retention. Beer is pitch black but a bit thin. Lacing is layered with good stick and moderately oily legs. Really a good looking beer.

Nose is honey, plums, figs, chocolate, and roast. Moderately aromatic. Decent.

Opens sweet burnt malt, liquorice, chocolate, and prunes. Some chocolate serves to balance things out a bit but there's a ton of dark fruit and liquorice in the middle. More roast and honey in the middle to end with no hint of real bitterness or body to balance things out and add depth. Ends honey and chocolate. Aftertaste of roast and more dark fruit and honey. Not bad but pretty meh overall.

Medium bodied with moderate carbonation. Prickly and foamy in the mouth and goes down bubbly and warm. Messy finish with a sticky, lingering aftertaste. Too thin.

This beer is a real testament to the power of barrels sometimes. The Imperial Eclipse series, with few exceptions are all very solid beers. Totality on the other hand is the definition of average. The body is way to thin to support the flavors happening here and there's just not of complexity or continuity to the flavor. This wasn't really worth the try.

09-11-2013 13:54:19 | More by SpeedwayJim
pkalix

4.53/5  rDev +11.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

well, I had the Eclipse and since there aint anymore of those around I thought i'd grab the base beer while I had the opportunity...
small head, nice topping, great lacing....
smelling this one after doing several of the Eclipses is like sniffing Superman's underwear as he's lying on the floor after becoming exposed to kryptonite (i'm not a superman fan, i'm just buzzed and this is the first vision which came to me). still, a beautiful scent to this stout. a great base. I suppose it's like going back on an old recruit and remembering the interview. I never got the interview; I just got the superior result. I never got the Totality before I got the Eclipse. the Eclipse is FAR superior... very earthy scent, however, and i'm trying to review it as itself as opposed to it's older sister....
taste is.... just another stout. very good. very nice taste considering the abv. it is apparent to me that the barrel-aging is paramount to craft a highly-desirable brew although I was initially against this and despised the high liquor taste I got from several of the 'other' brands' barrel-aging. I have poured me a nice shot of Auchentoshan to kind of give me a sense of the barrel-aging (lame reason for getting ripped, no?) that i'm not getting from this brew.
overall, geez. what can I say? I know by reading the other reviews that others are comparing this 'base' beer to the 'finished' product of aging in a barrel and I can totally agree with that position. what a generic, 'standard' brew this is compared to the Eclipse. but still darned good. a little more bitter than I would prefer, but I think that is what the 'aging' seems to help out with...

09-08-2013 01:52:30 | More by pkalix
JacobGumina

09-05-2013 05:37:22 | More by JacobGumina
switzer

Oregon

09-05-2013 03:45:26 | More by switzer
magictacosinus

4.3/5  rDev +5.9%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Poured into a 250ml wine-tulip glass on tap at Mikkeller Bar SF. Part of my birthday tasting. Review is from my notes. I've been curious about the Eclipse offerings for years, but due to the high price I've tended to ignore pursuing most of them. I was delighted to see the base beer on tap, so I wanted to see if it was any good before buying the barrel aged variants.

Pours a treacly, syrupy opaque color with a modest off-khaki head that soon dissipates completely. Well, if these guys were hoping to produce something that was "totally" black and intense as far as an imperial stout goes, they did a pretty good job here. Very viscous, almost in the realm of boozy wines, but leaves behind a mark of its own in terms of the style. Not necessarily pretty, but quite menacing and appealing.

The aroma is quite fantastic, with tons of roasted character and black fruits all around. Notes of dark chocolate syrup, roasted coffee and breadiness, as well as a sharp bitterness, combined with blackberries, prunes, and cherries. Very aromatic for an imperial stout, and definitely unique in its own right. Spices abound such as light vanilla, molasses, and cinnamon. Really good stuff here.

The flavor is sadly a little less fruity, but combined with the spices and roasted flavors, it's still very enjoyable. This is an excellent imperial stout! A first you get immediate notes of chocolate and coffee melded with slight vanilla and baking spices, but then it finishes with a cut bitterness from the dry hopping and espresso-like notes which, combined with the sweetness from the booze and the malts, makes it very easy and comforting to drink. With its good carbonation and syrupy, comfortable feel, this was simultaneously a sipper and something that I could drink as quickly as I could if so desired. Definitely one that I could have all night, in spite of the ABV - and, in fact, I did have it again once more that night!

Glad to see that this is the base beer for the variants - although I definitely would love to find some bottles of this and stock up on them whenever I need a great imperial stout fix that isn't too strong or overwhelming. This is among the greater ones for sure. I will seek this out again, and will keep an eye out for variants that I believe are worth my time and money.

09-02-2013 17:58:37 | More by magictacosinus
GraduatedCashew

3.5/5  rDev -13.8%

08-28-2013 18:31:51 | More by GraduatedCashew
Totality Imperial Stout from FiftyFifty Brewing Co.