1. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Totality Imperial Stout - FiftyFifty Brewing Co.

Totality Imperial StoutTotality Imperial Stout

FiftyFifty Brewing Co. visit their website

American Double / Imperial Stout |  10.00% ABV

formerly Roundabout Imperial Stout

(Beer added by: GClarkage on 10-22-2009)
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Reviewers
« first ‹ prev | 1-25 | 26-50  | next › last »
Ratings: 135 | Reviews: 44 | Show All Ratings:
BierJager89

4.38/5  rDev +7.9%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

A: Black with a creamy mocha head.

S: Dark chocolate, dark roast coffee in the nose.

T: Dark chocolate, coffee, some orange and a bit of pine hop character.

M: Full bodied and smoothish, kind of creamy.

O: Not the sweet imperial stout I thought it'd be, given that it's brewed with honey as well as the sweetness often displayed in the eclipses (of which this is the base stout). An excellent example of the style.

01-24-2014 04:52:46 | More by BierJager89
maximum12

4.2/5  rDev +3.4%

Many thanks to analogchainsaw for this bottle; I have been lusting after the base beer of the Eclipse series since I had my first sip. 22 oz. bottle split with my wife.

Trickle is dark black, with minimal carbonation. The nose, good guns, the nose issues forth like a Spartan from the Hot Gates. Beautiful roast, underlying molasses sweetness, licorice, dark fruits. Bloody gorgeous.

Totality proves what I always figured: the base beer kicks in Technicolor. Big notes of shriveled grapes, great heapings of roast loveliness greet the palate & overwhelm the senses. Mid-palate comes lesser beings of dark malts, sweetness, again that almost molasses-like sensation, chocolate, licorice. Ends with a blur of complexity & with me sucking at this like the bottle is a teat.

I'll go lick the lip of the bottle once I'm done with my glass & wish I had another. Totality see where Eclipse gets my love, because this is an excellent stout.

11-26-2013 03:41:08 | More by maximum12
SpeedwayJim

3.34/5  rDev -17.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3 | overall: 3

This is the base beer for the Imperial Eclipse series. I've never seen this beer in the US and lo and behold there it was sitting at Tanakaya in Japan. Needless to say, I was surprised. 22oz. bomber into a pint glass. Shared with schen9303.

Pours a 2.5 finger frothy mocha colored head with great retention. Beer is pitch black but a bit thin. Lacing is layered with good stick and moderately oily legs. Really a good looking beer.

Nose is honey, plums, figs, chocolate, and roast. Moderately aromatic. Decent.

Opens sweet burnt malt, liquorice, chocolate, and prunes. Some chocolate serves to balance things out a bit but there's a ton of dark fruit and liquorice in the middle. More roast and honey in the middle to end with no hint of real bitterness or body to balance things out and add depth. Ends honey and chocolate. Aftertaste of roast and more dark fruit and honey. Not bad but pretty meh overall.

Medium bodied with moderate carbonation. Prickly and foamy in the mouth and goes down bubbly and warm. Messy finish with a sticky, lingering aftertaste. Too thin.

This beer is a real testament to the power of barrels sometimes. The Imperial Eclipse series, with few exceptions are all very solid beers. Totality on the other hand is the definition of average. The body is way to thin to support the flavors happening here and there's just not of complexity or continuity to the flavor. This wasn't really worth the try.

09-11-2013 13:54:19 | More by SpeedwayJim
pkalix

4.53/5  rDev +11.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

well, I had the Eclipse and since there aint anymore of those around I thought i'd grab the base beer while I had the opportunity...
small head, nice topping, great lacing....
smelling this one after doing several of the Eclipses is like sniffing Superman's underwear as he's lying on the floor after becoming exposed to kryptonite (i'm not a superman fan, i'm just buzzed and this is the first vision which came to me). still, a beautiful scent to this stout. a great base. I suppose it's like going back on an old recruit and remembering the interview. I never got the interview; I just got the superior result. I never got the Totality before I got the Eclipse. the Eclipse is FAR superior... very earthy scent, however, and i'm trying to review it as itself as opposed to it's older sister....
taste is.... just another stout. very good. very nice taste considering the abv. it is apparent to me that the barrel-aging is paramount to craft a highly-desirable brew although I was initially against this and despised the high liquor taste I got from several of the 'other' brands' barrel-aging. I have poured me a nice shot of Auchentoshan to kind of give me a sense of the barrel-aging (lame reason for getting ripped, no?) that i'm not getting from this brew.
overall, geez. what can I say? I know by reading the other reviews that others are comparing this 'base' beer to the 'finished' product of aging in a barrel and I can totally agree with that position. what a generic, 'standard' brew this is compared to the Eclipse. but still darned good. a little more bitter than I would prefer, but I think that is what the 'aging' seems to help out with...

09-08-2013 01:52:30 | More by pkalix
stakem

3.58/5  rDev -11.8%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Being a fan of the barrel aged treatments of this brew, I was anxious to get a chance to try this raw, uncut version of the base. Thanks to BA anotherjoe for making this happen dueing one of our exchanges. Poured from a bomber into an eclipse snifter. The brew appears black in color with a thin brown to ruby clarity around the edges. A rich tan finger slowly fades to a film leaving patchy lace on the glass.

The aroma includes notes of raisin, plums, molasses and hints of citrus mixed with minerals and earth. A suggestion of stale coffee blends into more of a deep earthen and roast aspect like tobacco.

The flavor is quite bitter with a hint of unsweetned baker's chocolate, stale coffee, raisins, and tobacco. Almost a bitter tannic oak aspect even though this isnt barrel aged. It is earthy with a mineral component that isnt entirely enjoyable coupled with a bit too much focus on bitter herbal hops. There is a lot of char goin on in this brew to really drive home the bitter and aggressive flavoring.

This is a medium to lighter bodied brew with a modest amount of carbonation. It is interesting to say the least. I can see why this is a good candidate for barrel aging. It is a little rough around the edges that surely gets blended and smoothed out with some aging. Overall I gotta admit, on it's own it is a little harsh and not something I would revisit. However, tossing this in barrels really transforms it into something special. Fans of the eclipse series owe it to themselves to seek this out for comparison.

08-13-2013 16:02:47 | More by stakem
cpetrone84

3.9/5  rDev -3.9%

Pour is jet black with a dark caramel head and lots of large bubbles. Nose is roast, olive, touch of marker, a hint ashy, and notes of chocolate cake. Taste has light roast, cake is brighter, lots of bakers chocolate and some malt sweetness. the magic marker is gone. Creamy full body, good carbonation and a lingering roasted bitterness trough the finish.

07-12-2013 16:02:23 | More by cpetrone84
kojevergas

3.73/5  rDev -8.1%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Really excited for this one. I'm making a point of trying this before the Eclipse beers just for a point of reference. Acquired for $14.00 at a local bottle shop. 9.5% ABV according to my bottle. No best before/bottled on date is visible. 1 pint 6 fl oz brown glass bottle with appealing artful label and standard unbranded pry-off cap served into a Mitchells of Lancaster flared stem-tulip in me gaff in low altitude Los Feliz, Los Angeles, California. Reviewed live. Expectations are high.

Served cold and allowed to warm over the course of consumption. Side-poured with standard vigor as no carbonation issues are anticipated.

A: Pours a healthy half-finger head of lovely stick smooth complexion; great vibrance to the colour on this one, I mean it fucking shines. Lovely creaminess. Good thickness. Nice frothiness. Supple and luscious. Really looking great. Nice even consistent lacing as the head recedes. Quite a nice head. The retention could be better, but it's quite good for the ABV - about 3-4 minutes.

Body colour is an opaque solid dark black. Not quite a jet black, but quite dark. No yeast particles are visible. No bubble show.

Right on the money for the style, with an attractive head. Quite inviting. Can't wait to try it.

Sm: Chocolate, dried grape/raisin, burnt caramel, light molasses, licorice/anise (which I can't personally stand in an imperial stout), milky notes, cream, light buried (much to my chagrin) roast, and some lightly acrid coffee. Cocoa powder. Some buried vanilla. Dark malts, chocolate malt, maybe some caramalt. No yeast character, hop character, or alcohol is detectable. On the sweeter side. Light earthiness wafts off the body. A pleasant aroma of mild strength. Not exemplary for the style, but overall it's appealing.

T: Hm. Some light earthiness and acridity towards the back end. Tolerable licorice as an undertone throughout. The body is comprised mainly of chocolate malt and dark malts. Body is pretty meh overall. No yeast character or hop character comes through. What shocks me is how well it hides its ABV; drinks more like 6-7% than 9.5. Some marshmallow. Not getting any roastiness - either from roasted barley or from the coffee - which is itself mainly bitter but not overly so. Chocolate isn't very evocative; more baker's or brewer's chocolate than a silky milk chocolate. Some cocoa dust, sure. A biteen of vanilla, but it's mostly covered by the somewhat heavy handed malty base. Very very light restrained espresso. Some cookie dough notes. Not getting any dark fruits or anything like that.

Overall, it's messy but enjoyable. Not much balance or subtlety here, but there's a lot going on - even if it does feel haphazardly tossed together.

Depth and intensity of flavour are average. Duration of flavour is also pretty average for the style.

I didn't notice honey when going through my initial review blind. When I read the label and search for it, I do find it, but I'm not convinced it really improves the beer.

Mf: Smooth and wet. Some nice creaminess. Unrefreshing. Good thickness; it's not overbearing or viscous like many beers in the style. Suits the flavour profile nicely, but doesn't come off custom-tailored specificially to it. Good carbonation. Pretty full-bodied. Sticky. Nicely soft. Not oily, harsh, biting, or gushed. Good presence on the palate.

The rolling smoothness is quite good for the style; I'm curious if they don't brew this with oats?

Dr: Barrel aging must really even this out if the Eclipse series is so well regarded. I'm interested to see what happens to this base with barrels; that's quite convenient since I have the Elijah Craig 12 year on hand. An interesting brew from FiftyFifty, but I'm not convinced it's worth the price. It's drinkable, though, especially for the high ABV which is well concealed. I see potential in this, but I'm doubting I'm going to love Eclipse. The barrel aging would have to really develop and complement this base to make a great beer. I definitely wouldn't buy this again at its current price; maybe for $7.00-$8.00 a bottle.

I'm unsure what to make of it overall. Regarding it aside from the obvious relationship to its famous barrel aged grandpas, I still think it's pretty good stuff. But it does seem strangely neutral and noncommittal to its flavours; I feel like it was brewed with an eye towards barrel aging it, and as a result it's nowhere near as rich or evocative as it could (should?) be.

The acridity and earthiness fade substantially as it warms, leaving a more enjoyable brew.

Drank fine out of a stem-tulip, but a snifter or teku would be ideal methinks.

High B

07-12-2013 03:31:42 | More by kojevergas
Rish907

3.78/5  rDev -6.9%

A - pours very dark black with medium amount of tan (need to be aggressive to show the head). Streaks and bubbles down the glass are evident.

S - Smells chocolatey and sweet sweet sweet. Some roasty characteristics and dark molasses.

T - The chocolate hits first, then the licorice, slight amount of coffee and maltyness. Kind of like rocky road ice cream.

M - Extremely smooth, very viscous, swirls around the mouth easily.

O - This is a decent imperial stout and super smooth and fluid. Totally hides the nearly 10% abv and chocolateness is very prevalent. Very glad to have tried this beer, especially being the base for the eclipse series, which I cant wait to try next (Elijah 12-year). A good stout overall, but like the other reviewers, looking for more depth, character and variety in the palate. It is one-dimensional in many aspects (parabola currently the benchmark). Try it and work your way up!

07-07-2013 05:02:17 | More by Rish907
notchucknorris

4.08/5  rDev +0.5%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4

A: Pours a thin-ish looking deep brown color with a nice two finger light brown head. Leaves spots of lace everywhere.

S: A lot of european rye bread, cocoa powder, molasses, maybe some raw honey and roasted malt.

T: Opens dark with roasted malt and burnt chocolate. Molasses, some wet earth and some burnt wood on the finish. Maybe a touch of earthy hops as well in the finish. Interesting, but nowhere near as good as the barrel aged varieties.

04-25-2013 03:36:20 | More by notchucknorris
Alieniloquium

3.83/5  rDev -5.7%

650 mL bottle poured into a snifter.

Appearance - Black with some transparency. Not much of a head. Thin khaki collar. Wispy on the surface.

Smell - Lots of black patent malt, molasses, and even some honey. Chocolatey.

Taste - Sweet, nice chocolate flavor. Lots of honey. Very sweet. Bitter dark chocolate in the back.

Mouthfeel - Highly carbonated. Not quite creamy. Kind of a sharp finish. No booze.

Overall - Tasty and a nice start to our Eclipse tasting.

04-06-2013 20:06:21 | More by Alieniloquium
rand

4.25/5  rDev +4.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

From 22 oz bomber to snifter glass

A: Appearance is of typical imperial stout aesthetics: Deep, dark brown with reddish hues, coffee-tan head never completely receding, little patches of lacing stuck to the glass.

S: Coffee, carob, burnt malts. The added honey is apparent and accented by the boozy aspects, which are prominent. It smells liqueur-ish. A surprise given the ABV. Yeah, warm and boozy, damn. A little citrus-rind lingers around the bouquet.

T: The flavors are more traditional, with dry coffee and bittersweet chocolate up-front. An astrigent, earthy overtone keeps some of the more sugary aspects in check, as the honey is almost forgotten in its supporting role (the bottle reminds you of added honey so your sugar-radar is up). The oozing booze in the nose is also tamed, surprisingly so given my beer has warmed into the 50-degree range. The brew finishes long and bitter-sweet, leaning more towards bitter.

M: Medium-to-full bodied, but not as sticky and viscous as I'd expect given the ABV and the brewery.

I was a little disappointed on my first sip and impression, given that the Eclipse is as good a stout as you'll come across. But they can't all be barrel-aged, and as I worked through the bottle and my beer warmed it became more drinkable and interesting. It's not the most harmonious flavor-profile, but there's in unexpected citrusy nuance, and the added honey is far from overbearing. A nice addition to their lineup, especially if they can whip this out without asking their customers to purchase beer-futures.

02-15-2013 08:37:22 | More by rand
magictacosinus

4.3/5  rDev +5.9%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Poured into a 250ml wine-tulip glass on tap at Mikkeller Bar SF. Part of my birthday tasting. Review is from my notes. I've been curious about the Eclipse offerings for years, but due to the high price I've tended to ignore pursuing most of them. I was delighted to see the base beer on tap, so I wanted to see if it was any good before buying the barrel aged variants.

Pours a treacly, syrupy opaque color with a modest off-khaki head that soon dissipates completely. Well, if these guys were hoping to produce something that was "totally" black and intense as far as an imperial stout goes, they did a pretty good job here. Very viscous, almost in the realm of boozy wines, but leaves behind a mark of its own in terms of the style. Not necessarily pretty, but quite menacing and appealing.

The aroma is quite fantastic, with tons of roasted character and black fruits all around. Notes of dark chocolate syrup, roasted coffee and breadiness, as well as a sharp bitterness, combined with blackberries, prunes, and cherries. Very aromatic for an imperial stout, and definitely unique in its own right. Spices abound such as light vanilla, molasses, and cinnamon. Really good stuff here.

The flavor is sadly a little less fruity, but combined with the spices and roasted flavors, it's still very enjoyable. This is an excellent imperial stout! A first you get immediate notes of chocolate and coffee melded with slight vanilla and baking spices, but then it finishes with a cut bitterness from the dry hopping and espresso-like notes which, combined with the sweetness from the booze and the malts, makes it very easy and comforting to drink. With its good carbonation and syrupy, comfortable feel, this was simultaneously a sipper and something that I could drink as quickly as I could if so desired. Definitely one that I could have all night, in spite of the ABV - and, in fact, I did have it again once more that night!

Glad to see that this is the base beer for the variants - although I definitely would love to find some bottles of this and stock up on them whenever I need a great imperial stout fix that isn't too strong or overwhelming. This is among the greater ones for sure. I will seek this out again, and will keep an eye out for variants that I believe are worth my time and money.

09-02-2013 17:58:37 | More by magictacosinus
CuriousMonk

4.13/5  rDev +1.7%

Pours black as night with a decent one finger tan head leaving decent lacing throughout. Aromas of sweet chocolate, dark roasted malt, molasses, licorice, dark fruits and a fair amount of booze. The flavors start off with plenty of chocolate slowly giving way to hints of dark fruits, molasses, licorice, day old coffee and the dark malt. The back finish is pretty sweet with quite a bit of booze, lingering on the palate long after consumption. Heavy body mouthfeel with moderate carbonation. I have wanted to try this one ever since I tried my first Eclipse beer. It is always nice to see where all the flavors are coming from in those Barrel Aged Eclipse beers. Overall this is a good stout, but I prefer it once it has seen a barrel.

07-22-2013 17:37:15 | More by CuriousMonk
Huhzubendah

District of Columbia

3.95/5  rDev -2.7%

Growler shared by yourefragile. Thanks Michael!

The beer is near black with a thin, mocha colored head. The aroma brings heavy roast, bready malts. The flavor is very dark, roasty, some bitterness, most notably in the finish. Chocolate and roast, with some brown bread. Smooth on the palate, with fairly low carbonation, which is likely attributed to the growler format. Overall, this was solid, though I prefer the barrel-aged FiftyFifty beers to this one. I'd have this again, especially if I had the opportunity to sample it on draft.

11-19-2012 17:58:18 | More by Huhzubendah
mdfb79

Big thanks to yourefragile for sharing this at our big Eclipse tasting; thanks Michael. Poured into a pint glass.

a - Pours a pitch black color with one inch of dark tan head and low carbonation evident.

s - Smells of chocolate, roasted malts, sweet dark fruits, toasted malts, and some light coffee. Very roasty, nice nose.

t - Tastes of roasted malts, bitter chocolate, sweet chocolate, coffee, toasted and burnt malts, and some light cream. Little bit of bitterness but pretty nice.

m - Medium body and low carbonation. Pretty easy to drink beer.

o - Overall a very nice stout; can see how it is a very good base for the Eclipse variations. Lots of roasted malts and some light nice chocolate; would like to have it again.

11-19-2012 15:22:20 | More by mdfb79
drabmuh

Maryland

4.1/5  rDev +1%

Growler shared by yourefragile, thanks! Provides a valuable comparison with the other BA Eclipses. Really appreciate it. Served in a FiftyFifty glass.

Beer is dark brown / black with a thin tan head of small bubbles, some lacing, low retention, moderate to low carbonation.

Beer has a mixtures of sweet and roasty aroma, smells pretty good.

Beer is medium in body and mildly sweet up front, a little earthy in the middle and REALLY bitter on the end with the roast, seriously strong on the end, wow...really strong. Did I mention the bitterness from the roast? While it is strong it is not overpowering. I did enjoy this beer and I would have it again on draft sometime.

11-19-2012 00:02:11 | More by drabmuh
scottfrie

4.05/5  rDev -0.2%

On-tap at the brewery. Full pint glass.

A: Black with thin dense tan head that left spotty lace down the glass.
S: Smokey and roasted nose, hints of chocolate.
T: Smokey and roasted like the nose. Toasted marshmallow and caramel with chocolate in the finish. Roasted malts fill the aftertaste. Smooth.
M: Very thick mouthfeel, chewy body, boozy but not hot. Smooth carbonation, drinks well.
O: A solid stout, great flavor and thick. Glad to finally try the Eclipse base beer.

09-05-2012 01:29:39 | More by scottfrie
Rifugium

First had: on tap at Capone's, Norristown, PA

This was a decent beer, but considering how good the barrel-aged versions are, I was a bit let down by this one. As far as appearance goes, this one really can't be beat: served in a snifter, a dark, opaque, brown-black, with an overflowing, creamy head that looked like melted chocolate ice cream. No problem giving a perfect 5 for that. Aroma is pretty standard for a stout, dark roasty malts and bakers' chocolate. Taste was similar, roast conquers all, dark malts, slightly bitter chocolate, caramel, nutshells, and distant dark fruits. This beer needs to be aged on bourbon barrels, essentially. It's almost like it's literally incomplete without it. Body is on the heavier side of medium, and still fairly smooth. Not bad by any means, but compared to the Eclipses, it just doesn't stack up.

06-19-2012 01:31:43 | More by Rifugium
orangesol

Served on-tap at Capone's during PBW 2012. Finally get to try the base beer for all these Eclipse beers.

A - Pours black as night with a decent one finger tall tan head leaving spotty trails of lace down parts of the glass.

S - Smells of lots of chocolatey sweetness, dark roasted malt, molasses, licorice, dark fruits and a fair amount of booze.

T - Starts off with plenty of chocolatey sweetness slowly giving way to hints of dark fruits, molasses, licorice, day old coffee and the ever present dark malt. Finish is pretty sweet with quite a bit of booze, lingering on the palate long after consumption.

M - Heavy body and flavor with moderate carbonation. This one is big and boozy, I could feel all 10% of this one throughout the glass.

O - I have wanted to try this one ever since I tried my first Eclipse beer. It is always nice to see where all the flavors are coming from in those BA beers. Overall this is a good stout, but I prefer it once it has seen a barrel.

06-14-2012 17:40:23 | More by orangesol
oline73

Maryland

4.25/5  rDev +4.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

I had this on-tap at Capone's during Philly beer week. Served in a sample glass.

Appearance: The beer pours a black color with hardly any head. The head that is there goes away quickly.

Smell: This beer smells quite sweet and very roasty. I'm getting some warm alcohol and dark fruit.

Taste: Sweet and roasty with some dark fruit and brown sugar notes. I'm getting a slight bitterness with vanilla and dark chocolate notes as well. Complex and easy to drink.

Mouthfeel: The body is thick and there isn't enough carbonation. The finish is dry.

Overall: This is a very nice stout and I can see why it holds up so well to barrel aging. I would have another.

06-13-2012 01:10:07 | More by oline73
animortician

4.23/5  rDev +4.2%

On tap at the brewery, served in a pint glass.

A: Deep, Dark brown, light brown lingering head.

S: Roasty, Rich, Nutty

T: Robust Dark Malt flavor, good hop backup, great balance of flavor. Alcohol is well hidden in some great flavor.

M: Smooth, rich, great carbonation.

O: It takes a good foundation to build a strong house and this is what fifty fifty has done. Great beer that they make greater. Well bananced drinkable beer!

04-16-2012 03:44:29 | More by animortician
xnicknj

4.13/5  rDev +1.7%

on tap at tapestry in philly

Pours a viscous, completely inky blackness with a pleasant coating of darkly tanned head resting on top. Retains with oily slick film and some spots and patches of lacing on the glass while drinking.

Bold, roasted dark malts in the nose with some charred edges. Dark chocolate with bitterness and faint smoke, a hint of warmth with a dash of dark fruit and a suggestion of anise.

Robust and full flavored up front – this one wastes no time – waves of malt flavor with dark chocolate and molasses. Dark fruit complexity kicks in with an underlying hint of licorice. I felt a light charred notion was present somewhere in there, along with a tuft of smoke. Boozy and warm towards the finish, with a lingering note of hops.

Full body, decent carbonation, chewy and creamy on the tongue. Drinking this is a great example as to why the Eclipse stouts are so tasty.

02-07-2012 22:38:46 | More by xnicknj
BARFLYB

3.75/5  rDev -7.6%

On Tap at Tapestry in Philly. $9 Tulip. My first offering from Eclipse

A- Totality is a black stout with a nice sturdy 1/2 inch tan head that left some spotty lacing. Good retention on the cap.

S- This stout has a big roasted malt base to it with some chocolate and dark fruits with warming. No sign of the alcohol which is nice. Smells very robust.

T- A tasty stout with more of the chocolate and cocco coming through more than the smell. Also getting just a bit of tootsie roll as well. Roasted malts and not as much hops than expected.

M- Totality comes through the gullet pretty easy like. Not the smoothest stout out there. This one is a step above medium bodied with light carbonation. Just a hint of the alcohol comes through with some heat. No bitterness as the hops are low, or have faded. Not as big, bold, full as other stouts, but the slight lightness is built to make that Eclipse barrel varients.

D- Could have drank a lot of this. Not very hot, not to big, yet, in the end, it's just a stout. The alcohol while not sessionable is not terribly high either which helped out also. I finished my portion in no time

01-27-2012 05:12:29 | More by BARFLYB
Sammy

Ontario (Canada)

look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

base beer for the Fiftyfifty IS series, on tap at The Blue Palm. Very dry. A small retained head on a very dark body. So-so drinkability as very roasty and a bit astringent. Roasty aroma. Thick lace. Good for the style, but not great. Have to get by the dryness.

01-22-2012 06:01:39 | More by Sammy
charlzm

3.78/5  rDev -6.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Consumed January 7, 2012 at Blue Palms Brewhouse, Hollywood, CA.

Extremely dark brown beer with no light getting through the glass at all. A very fine dark brown head less than a finger tall, very sticky, tops off the affair and provides excellent sheeting.

Aromas of chocolate malt and vanilla.

Flavor is bold upfront. Bitter wood, bitter chocolate, cocoa, then... it trails off to a strangely clean finish. Unusual and not disagreeable.

Thick, slightly chewy mouthfeel.

Not an outstanding achievement in the world of RIS, but certainly worthwhile.

01-14-2012 19:29:56 | More by charlzm
« first ‹ prev | 1-25 | 26-50  | next › last »
Totality Imperial Stout from FiftyFifty Brewing Co.