Join our email list →

Concentrated Evil - FiftyFifty Brewing Co.

Concentrated EvilConcentrated Evil

FiftyFifty Brewing Co.
California, United States | website

Belgian Strong Dark Ale | 11.00% ABV

Beer added by: bulletrain76 on 11-17-2009

Brewed with Raisins, Coconut Sugar, Panusta Sugar.
firstprev| 1-25 | 26-50  | next → last
3.44/5  rDev +6.5%

Not going to lie, I firstly bought this because the label looked so damn cool. I've also heard great things about this brewery. I've only had their stout and loved it.

Pours a copper hue with no head. From a foot away I can smell candy sugar and a little bit of alcohol. Upon a 'closer' smell I pick up hints of apple juice and yeast. This already reminds me of an aged Koningshoeven Quad i had a year or two ago. As I let it sit and stir my cup a little, more dark flavors begin to appear, but faintly.

This first sip caught me buy surprise. I was expecting rich, dark malt flavors with some belgian yeast, but rather I got a sour flavor. Oh my. The details on the label (which says it's brewed with raisins and brown sugar) certainly lead me to think I was going to be drinking a more traditional attempt at this style of beer. There's little carbonation, which I was kind of a bummer. Each sip leaves a dry, slightly dark fruit-ish aftertaste. For what was advertised, this beer missed the mark.

There's definitely nothing wrong with how this beer tastes. It actually has the foundation to make a great sour beer. Toss this in a barrel, add some bret and you'd have a great sour brown ale. The problem is, I don't think they were going for that. The only thing evil about this beer is that it's misleading.

2.98/5  rDev -7.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

City Beer Store. Maybe, a bit too big for its own good. This beer was a jumble of big, sweet flavors. They didn't exactly come together perfectly for me, but it was fun to try. The beer is a very dark ruby/brown with a sticky beige head. Raisins, honey, sweet prunes, brown sugar, soy sauce, peaches, caramel. Lots going on but quite sweet and sort of heavy on the palate. Some spice is detectable. It's just not all good. Some booze but good for the abv.

3.55/5  rDev +9.9%

Aroma: Complex fruity esters reminiscent of cherries, strawberries and raisins. Soft spicy phenols. Low to low alcohols. moderate sweet malty aroma; caramel and raisins. No diacetyl and no hops.

Appearance: Deep copper with excellent clarity, Thin smear of tan foam that reduces to a collar immediately, low head retention.

Flavor: Complex fruity and malt balanced; raisins jump out first followed by prunes, a touch of caramel, and a slight toasty graininess. Low spicy phenols. Low and subtly refreshing tartness. Overall quite sweet but finishes reasonably clean with a little lingering sweetness and hop bitterness. Low hop bitterness balances a portion of this malt and ester forward beer. Alcohol balances a portion of the sweetness.No diacetyl. Unexpected low metallic flavor.

Mouthfeel: Medium full bodied with medium carbonation. Medium low alcohol warmth, not hot. Unexpected subtle grainy astringency in the background of the finish. Overall reasonably smooth for such a strong beer.

Overall Impression: Fairly drinkable beer though I find this style in general to not be a style I go to when I want to drink. Wonderfully complex and fruity. Apart from the metallic flavor and the graininess I was very pleased with the beer. It is deceptively strong, I do not think the version i have is 11%, I think it was 9% actually.

3.25/5  rDev +0.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.5

On tap at City Beer on FiftyFifty day.

Pours cloudy amber-brown with a foamy off-white head that lasts.

Smells decent, with bourbon, caramel, vanilla, and honey noticeable.

Flavor is similar to the aroma - bourbon and vanilla stand out, and there are slight fruity/citrusy and spicy notes. A touch boozy.

Medium body with carbonation a little too high, and some booziness, which is to be expected for this high of ABV I guess.

Drinkability is not too high. Not sure exactly what they were going for with this one, but it definitely fell a bit short for me.

2.76/5  rDev -14.6%

On tap at the brewpub. Super dark brown with a creamy beige head. Aroma of licorice a sweet dried fruit. The flavor is sweet and alcoholic with strong licorice and herbal spice. Full bodied and a little sticky. This is just a weird beer. Super herbal and licorice flavored. When I saw this on the menu I got pretty psyched, but just couldn't get into it. Some more subtlety, and I could see this being a nice strong dark ale, but its just too much.

firstprev| 1-25 | 26-50  | next → last
Concentrated Evil from FiftyFifty Brewing Co.