Imperial Eclipse Stout - Elijah Craig (12 Year) - FiftyFifty Brewing Co.

Imperial Eclipse Stout - Elijah Craig (12 Year)Imperial Eclipse Stout - Elijah Craig (12 Year)

FiftyFifty Brewing Co. visit their website

American Double / Imperial Stout |  11.90% ABV

Availability: Fall

Beer added by: Jmoore50 on 12-29-2009

Imperial Stout aged 200 days in an Elijah Craig bourbon barrel.
Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Imperial Eclipse Stout - Elijah Craig (12 Year) Alström Bros

4.41/5  rDev -1.3%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

2012 bottle

A- jet black, I think the negatives I've heard about the series are getting to me, but I swear this "looks light for a stout"....

S- Awesome. Everything I want in my BA stouts. Loads of oaky vanilla goodness, with some slight roastiness, but definitely oak vanilla dominant

T- more of the same, the roasted character comes through a bit more in the taste, I actually enjoy how the lightness of the body seems to lend to an urge or sense of need to drink more to coat more of the mouth to understand more of the taste...want..more...

M- Yes, the body is light. to style, not good...but know what? 50/50 makes it work, I enjoyed this part of the beer more than anticipated

O- This is my favorite so far out of the three I've had and would buy more if they weren't soo damn expensive

4.49/5  rDev +0.4%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

Bottle shared with two friends at Apex in Portland OR. 2011 vintage.

It pours a little weak looking for a stout of this level of aroma and taste. Dark brown with some lighter brown highlights, decent lacing.

The smell is nice with molasses, smoke, subtle in a good way bourbon, cereal malt, ice cream vanilla oak. Very nice.

The taste really pops with flavor, it strikes all the right notes of a barrel aged stout: a great balance of the barrel, stout and bourbon from the barrel, it really has a perfect balance and is not hot at all. Also has some nice salt water taffy and fudge flavors on top of everything else.

Feel is a little above good but not great, wish it was thicker but it has a nice roast and carbonation level for a beer like that.

I can see why this is rated so high. Great stuff.

4.17/5  rDev -6.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

Poured from a 22 oz bomber that has "BR2 2012" written on it into a snifter. Acquired in a trade from Surge1311.

A- Pours an opaque black body with amber highlights. A thin mocha-colored head rises and reduces quickly to leave a khaki ring. Leaves spotty lacing.

S- I'm straining to get a good sense of the aroma, but it's taking a lot of effort. After a bit of swirling, I get whiskey, dark fruits, vanilla, and some pretty noticeable booze (which is odd considering the 9.5% abv - I get less from bcbs @ 15.00%)

T- Sweet milk chocolate, raisons, dark fruit, bourbon, vanilla upfront, on the finish is freshly roasted grain and toasty black coffee. There's a hugely noticeable hop bite on the finish.

M- Medium-heavy body, very low carbonation.

I was expecting big things from this brew, and I got what I was expecting - but nothing more. Didn't blow me away. It was indeed rich and complex and very enjoyable to drink. I'm definitely going to age my second bottle, maybe that will mellow out the booze which I think is the downfall of this brew.

4.24/5  rDev -5.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 4

Big thanks to my friend Bobby for shelling out the $30 for this bottle!

A: Pours pitch black with about a finger of tan head and a good amount of foamy lacing.

S: Everything you would expect from a BA stout. Strong suggestions of vanilla and coconut immediately meet your nose. Look past those and you find milk chocolate, coco powder, burnt coffee, and perhaps a touch of soy sauce. Inhale deeply and you may also find a hint of tobacco smoke and a tingle of intense alcohol.

T/M: Upon sipping, my immediate reaction is to how incredibly smooth this brew is for 9.5%—it goes down dangerously easy. Lots of chocolate and molasses character up front transitions to a roasty and slightly burnt-tasting finish. Not as much bourbon character as you would expect, but notes of vanilla and oak are certainly detectable throughout. This could use a little more body, IMO. I would characterize this as barely full bodied. Not quite as thick as I want my BA stouts to be.

O: Overall a fine BA stout. A great nose and incredibly well balanced and drinkable for a 9.5% beer aged in whiskey barrels. It could use just a little more body. More body would also help enhance what is already an impressive flavor experience. Worth the $30? Maybe for the one-time experience, but I will not be running back to the store to drop $30 more.

3.75/5  rDev -16.1%

4.5/5  rDev +0.7%

Imperial Eclipse Stout - Elijah Craig (12 Year) from FiftyFifty Brewing Co.