1. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Imperial Eclipse Stout - Elijah Craig (12 Year) - FiftyFifty Brewing Co.

Imperial Eclipse Stout - Elijah Craig (12 Year)Imperial Eclipse Stout - Elijah Craig (12 Year)

FiftyFifty Brewing Co. visit their website

American Double / Imperial Stout |  11.90% ABV

Availability: Fall

Imperial Stout aged 200 days in an Elijah Craig bourbon barrel.

(Beer added by: Jmoore50 on 12-29-2009)
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Reviewers | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Imperial Eclipse Stout - Elijah Craig (12 Year) Alström Bros
Ratings: 1,059 | Reviews: 235 | Show All Ratings:
rodlavers

4.56/5  rDev +2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

BR1, 2012 vintage, poured into a snifter.

Dark cola brown, not as black as some imperial stouts, nice dark mocha head, really thin, recedes quickly to small layer of film, ringing the glass. Opaque.

Smells hot at first, very bourbon forward, but that mellows out. After a few minutes the aroma is incredibly balanced with chocolate, coffee and vanilla, with obvious bourbon notes as well. It's less sweet than boozy.

Taste is similar, and fantastic. It really changes after a few minutes; I was alarmed by my first sip, but things evolved so quickly. Wonderfully balanced, not cloying at all. Perhaps not quit sweet enough.

Feel is smooth and pleasant. Somewhat dry, but really easy to drink. Below average carbonation.

Overall drinkable at 9.5, my advice is to age, but what do I know. Cheers.

12-20-2013 21:54:18 | More by rodlavers
kojevergas

3.5/5  rDev -21.7%

"BR3 2012." 9.5% confirmed. 1 pint 6 fl oz brown glass with purple wax-ed over branded pry-off pressure cap acquired at a bottle shop in Beverly Hills, CA for $27.00 and served into an Odell stem-tulip in me friend's gaff in high altitude Fort Collins, CO. Reviewed live. Expectations are sky high given the price point and the brewery's reputation.

Served cold - straight from the fridge - and allowed to warm over the course of consumption. Side-poured with standard vigor as no carbonation issues are anticipated.

A: No bubble show forms as it's poured.

Pours a two finger wide head of khaki colour. Nice creaminess and thickness. Retention is good - about 5 minutes. Even lacing clings to the sides of the glass as the head recedes.

Body colour is a predictable opaque solid black. Nontranslucent/nontransparent. No yeast particles are visible.

Overall, it's a good appearance for an imperial stout, but isn't unique or special. No egregious flaws. I'm looking forward to trying it.

Sm: Chocolate, vanilla, dark malts, chocolate malts, and cream. No real oak barrel character comes through unfortunately - no refined or rich character. No hop or yeast character is detectable. There is some alcohol presence. A mild to moderate clean aroma of well above average strength.

T: Dark malts, chocolate malts, cream, faint marshmallow, light chocolate, faint vanilla, and very light oak. Decently balanced and cohesive, but not gestalt. I do like it. Average depth, duration, and intensity of flavour. Not particularly intricate or nuanced.

Decent complexity and subtle. Little intricacy/nuance. I've had far deeper and more complex beers,

Mf: Smooth, wet, unrefreshing, medium-bodied, and nicely thick. A biteen sticky. Suits the flavour profile pretty well. Suits the flavour profile generally well, but doesn't feel custom-tailored to it.

Not astringent, oily, harsh, gushed, boozy, or hot.

No real roasted barley, coffee, spices, or yeast. Has some alcohol presence.

Dr: Drinkable and enjoyable, but noticeably boozy. I wouldn't buy it again at this price point. Good but not great. My companion and I will easily kill this bottle, but it's far from exemplary. I wouldn't recommend it to friends, but it's likeable enough. Not worth it.

High B-

12-10-2013 04:05:54 | More by kojevergas
rand

4.63/5  rDev +3.6%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

From 22 oz wax-dripped bomber to oversized wine glass.

I reviewed the Four Roses here http://beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/14936/64055, as good as it was I think I underrated it. Also, at the time I hadn't had as many BA stouts, the ones I had weren't all that impressive. Now I think they're possibly the world's finest beverage, making this one of the best of the best.

As far as how the Elijah Craig is different, it's smoother, more singular on the palate (likely from age), as the licorice notes have made room for vanilla and cocoa.

11-30-2013 06:36:16 | More by rand
Stevedore

Wisconsin

4.5/5  rDev +0.7%
look: 4 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

Thanks Shaun, for bringing this one to our latest tasting today, 11/26/2013. Poured into a Hill Farmstead stemmed glass.

Review #298.

Pours a nice viscous dark brown/black body, minimal mocha head with minimal retention. Lacing is spotty. Standard bourbon barrel stout here.

Smells incredible. There's that customary bourbon barrel scent- oaky, almost on the verge of fungal, but overwhelmed by a delicious smelling chocolate brownie scent. Very rich. Phenomenal nose here.

Flavour is a notch below the nose; however I get a lot of that bourbon barrel ala Bourbon County. There's a lot of similarities to BCBS, although this tastes a little more like chocolate fudge brownies than anything else. Quite decadent.

Mouthfeel is full bodied, just the right amount of carbonation. A decent bit of heat accompanies the beer, but otherwise very smooth and complex.

Thanks for bringing this one, Shaun. This is the first 50/50 Eclipse beer I've ever had, and after this one I kind of want to see what else is out there from that same brewer. Well-done, very well-constructed and nicely chocolatey with a good mix of bourbon.

11-27-2013 07:14:33 | More by Stevedore
deltatauhobbit

Maine

4.18/5  rDev -6.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 4

Thanks to mlaroche for this trade way back when.
2009 - Bottle 78

Pours a wicked dark brown almost black color, not much of a head though and pours almost flat, no light penetration even around the edges, no lacing on the glass.

Smell has a huge bourbon molasses aroma, subtle hints of dark fruit, rich toasty malt backing that makes all the other characteristics blended so not to overwhelm the nose.

Taste starts out with a thick roasted/burnt malt flavor with a bit of a char aspect, the bourbon kicks in but after four years of age the burn has mellowed, molasses and dark fruit in the aftertaste, big thick chewy body that is hampered by a very low almost flat carbonation, not quite Lost Abbey bad but enough to hurt it from being excellent on all fronts.

11-16-2013 00:46:29 | More by deltatauhobbit
stakem

4.15/5  rDev -7.2%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4

Bottle from 2009, numbered 1151 poured into a matching Eclipse snifter. The brew appears black in color with a thin line of brown around the edges. Some big brown bubble formation around the edges.

The smell is very roasted and boozy with hints of black licorice before getting solvent. A little bit of vanilla and caramel. As it warms up, it gets a sweet almost candy-like vanilla scent that is deceptive smelling.

The taste is like burnt molasses with an oaked taste that blends into caramel and toffee with chocolate covered raisons and anise. Quite boozy with a hint of bourbon tang across the finish mixed with oak, roast and earth.

This is a medium bodied brew with a modest to low level of carbonarion. It is earthen and very boozy but still shows the alcohol vibrantly with a little barrel presence. It is quite good and 4 years in the bottle has hardly mellowed this out but it has a soft amount of oxidation present.

10-21-2013 15:01:10 | More by stakem
KYGunner

Kentucky

4.3/5  rDev -3.8%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.25

Deep black and viscous it held a very thin bubbly head.

The scent had nice barrel aged qualities with a lot of coconut, vanilla and wood. Very light chocolate notes and a touch of caramel are also in the nose.

The flavors are strong in the bourbon and barrel, tending to brash at times. There's then a goodly amount of coconut that can be found. Some light chocolate malt flavor is hidden near the end.

The feel is so incredibly creamy and thick, it's truly beautiful.

Overall, this may have been a touch too heavy in the bourbon. Then the coconut came on strong without a balance of vanilla. As always though, it's more a matter of personal taste.

10-16-2013 22:21:09 | More by KYGunner
Scotchboy

Idaho

4.41/5  rDev -1.3%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

Purple wax-dipped 22oz bomber, 2012 vintage, thanks to laymansbeefan and leshkie, split with my bro as a nightcap, my portion into a Deschutes snifter.

A: Pours redish/brown and opaque with a foamy dark tan head that sticks around.

S: Big caramel, vanilla, chocolate, alcohol is pretty muted. Really nice, rich, decadent whiskey. Hints of honey as well? The bourbon is really nice without making the nose too hot.

T: More chocolate on the palate, melding with notes of coffee for a mocha finish. Caramel and vanilla big time, some marshmallow too making this a well-rounded dessert sipper. Alcohol bitterness is detectable but there is very little heat; apparently I found a good age for this beer!

MF: Creamy smooth full body with lower carbonation.

O: The sum of all its parts make this beer excellent. Great bourbon character, rich dessert notes of chocolate, caramel, vanilla and marshmallow (mocha as well), and a silky smooth and creamy body without much alcohol burn make this one really nice.

10-15-2013 19:47:50 | More by Scotchboy
Axnjxn

4.65/5  rDev +4%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Bottle BR 1 2012 into a snifter.

pours a pitch black with a half inch beige head. smell is big on bourbon .. this is gonna be a big beer...or is it. taste is extremely smooth and balanced, Damn. the flavor is insane. bourbon , vanilla, oh my god. this is possibly the best tasting imp stout I've ever had. full bodied with light carbonation.

overall you need to drink this beer now. amazing by all accounts.

10-01-2013 01:11:49 | More by Axnjxn
wpqx

I honestly didn't think this was going to be as good as it was. Picked up the 2012 version so it has about a year's worth of age on it, poured into a makeshift tulip (my best glassware is not here). So a few thoughts:

A - Even holding this up to the light there is virtually no color, just black, they don't call it Eclipse for nothing, outstanding.

S - Smells like that Elijah Craig 12 year whiskey, you can definitely get the boozy aromas with a bit of the honey, a little coffee as well, just an overall wonderful smell.

T - For a beer that's 9.5% this is very noticeably boozy which might be a turnoff for some but is everything I love about a good barrel-aged imperial stout. Incredibly smooth but with a noticeable bourbon taste to it.

M - This just coats your palette like a good beer should, decent amount of carbonation to for a beer of this kind.

O - I initially balked at the retail price of this beer (as well as the rest of the Eclipse series) but good god this was sooo worth it. This is the first thing I've ever tried from FiftyFifty and they have a new #1 fan. Extraordinary beer.

There I'll stop kissing this beer's ass now, but if you see it, buy it, so good.

09-25-2013 01:41:33 | More by wpqx
Jonada

4.16/5  rDev -6.9%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

22oz bomber. 2012 vintage. Served in a snifter.

Appearance: Pours dark brown with less than a finger of a creamy tan head. Once in the glass the body is opaque black. Nice retention and lacing.

Smell: Bourbon, caramel, chocolate, vanilla, hint of dark fruit, and butterscotch.

Taste: Follows the aroma. Bourbon, fudge, toffee, roasted malt, and a bit of oak presence. Sweetness is perhaps a tad high, bordering on cloying.

Mouthfeel: Full bodied, thick chewy mouthfeel. Carbonation is on the lower end of medium. Medium alcohol warmth after the finish.

Overall: Really good bourbon barrel aged stout. Probably overpriced, but still really enjoyable.

09-12-2013 04:41:27 | More by Jonada
pkalix

ultra-dark brown, not black. nice layer of tan-ish foam on the first pour- not too vigorous, don't wanna spoil what liveliness exists in this gal,,, supreme super shiny micro-bubble lacing down the sides. had her sister last night, the Grand Cru. best brew I had ever had, in my life, I believe.... I thought I was spoiled....
strong, pleasant, sweet mix of bourbon/whiskey with some coffee, dark fruits and vanilla(?). like a really good whiskey, I could go on sniffing this until it warms... I am expecting very much from this one; this is my 4th Eclipse in the last month. i'd never heard of it, nor known of it before. what a find! what a heavenly aroma! without grossing you out, I could probably orgasm with a constant stream of this smell into my nostrils... and I haven't even taken my first sip... raisin? plum? alcohol!
first sip.... nicely darkened fruit. nice malty, sticky syrup on the finish. a little bit of coffee. I've never wanted to nurse and embrace a beer like I have this one. I've never wanted to take my time with a beer like I have this one. I've never been so giddy knowing there's still half a bottle of beer in the frig to finish off as this one. I've never wanted to be so ALONE with a beer as I have with this one. still relishing the wonderful fragrance, another long smooth draw is utterly satisfying to the palate. my girlfriend would never understand and I hope she doesn't come home anytime soon. she's already threatened to put me in to Jenny Craig.... or was that
Betty Ford? I get the two mixed up. maybe because it's that I know this is my last one and I don't know where to find another one until December, but I am utterly ravished with this nectar. the pliny before this cant hold a candle to it. i'm sorry. if every beer were like this, I wouldn't feel the need to rush through beer after beer to get to the next one in hopes of finding the next "god-sent" product. as I stare lustily at my STILL-half-filled glass, my ability to restrain myself surpasses ALL my expectations and I can only imagine the jealousy my girlfriend would experience if she only knew I could hold on this long for such a beautiful endeavor. another privileged mouth full of heaven and I can feel the smooth rush of bourbon-tinted wonderfulness teasing and exciting every last taste bud on my tongue- even the lethargic ones left over from my pot-smoking days are energized into a frenzy and clamoring for more. I am utterly entranced. these people who make this beer are my heroes. they have made me forget about Russian River completely. I am completely and utterly enamored with this brew. I cant hold off any longer. my youth and inexperience are coming back and I feel like a teen-ager again. I don't know how much longer I can hold back- I just wanna GULP in this last bit of my glass... must, hold, back...
okay. i'm back. I can honestly say I've never taken this long to write a BA review for any beer before. 2nd pour is just as beautiful as the first, maybe a little more head. but that dissipated rather quickly. I don't know why but I felt this internal, inherent desire to CHEW away the remaining grape-colored wax dripping off the side in suspension... I AM heterosexual...
I don't know what else to say. this is rapture, losing-your-virginity and a firm-pat-on-your-dog's-head kind of ecstasy all rolled into one. my only desire is to relax and finish this one out in privacy. if anybody within my close personal circles is reading this, a case of this is my ultimate Christmas present and birthday present all rolled into one. hell, i'll even give you a pass for the rest of my life.
if St. Bernardus is a 5, this is a 6. I will renounce all my beliefs in modern-day science and call the earth flat for a case of this beer. umm, in case you're wondering, this is my 5.... on top of all other 5's....

08-25-2013 23:02:09 | More by pkalix
AgentMunky

4.09/5  rDev -8.5%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Poured from a 22 ounce bottle into a brandy snifter. Bottle 668, vintage 2011.

A: Black, with no head, but heavy lacing.

S: Boozy and strong.

T: This is a delicious beer. Not as strong as I was expecting, it's mild and inviting, with lots of soft vanilla and bittersweet chocolate. The aftertaste is warming and lingering. Still, after two years, I expected a bit more.

M: Surprisingly clean without being carbonated or thin. Solid beer.

O: Very nice! I like this beer a lot.

08-20-2013 06:00:09 | More by AgentMunky
joe1510

4.7/5  rDev +5.1%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.75

22oz Bomber

Cheers to Rockstein for splitting this bomber with me! 50/50 is a black hole of a beer, the room darkens and my smile widens with the pour. The milk chocolate head rises super late from the black body to a cap of foam after the pour. After a few minutes in the snifter the head settles to a thin ring and leaves little chunky lacing behind with each small swirl of the glass. The looks alone tell me this is a stout to be reckoned with.

It would be tough for more complexity to be jammed into the nose of this stout. The bourbon barrel qualities pop through first with sweet, lightly spiced bourbon, handfuls of toasted coconut, and vanilla galore. Soon after come the hugely complex stout characteristics. Butterscotch and a plethora of dark fruits make up for the main body with a somewhat sweet, somewhat spicy bourbon finish.

The flavor profile somehow manages to trump the incredibly rich nose. The barrel characteristics I mentioned in the nose go expertly hand in hand with the huge stout body. Butterscotch works from front to back but isn't overly sweet like in most other stouts that bring butterscotch. The dark fruits roll through mid palate after the barrel aging characteristics start to fade and integrate into the overall flavor. There is a crazy cotton candy like airy sweet finish that wraps this beer up beautifully. A touch of spiciness from the bourbon lasts for a few seconds after each swallow. The complexity of this beer comes together amazingly well. There is no part that dominates the others.

Just like the other aspects of this beer the mouthfeel has been nailed. The body is thick, rich and coating but fades a few seconds after each sip. A lot of these big stouts are sticky sweet but this one walks the line perfectly. A touch of warmth on the swallow cuts what sweetness is present and makes for a luxurious mouthfeel.

I could easily sip the night away with this 50/50. The balance between sweet and heat & barrel and stout make a great compliment to one another. It's rare that you run across a stout that's this big, robust, and complex that's so easy to drink.

50/50 Elijah Craig is one of the best stouts I've had in recent memory. I could easily live with a few more of these floating in my fridge. This is a stout worth seeking out without a doubt. Thanks again for the pour, Dave!

Reviewed: 2/25/10

08-19-2013 02:03:37 | More by joe1510
Rinkor16

4.43/5  rDev -0.9%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

I've had a few of these bottles (2012) for a while now. Finally decided to enjoy one with 2 buddies that are new to the beer world.

A: Pitch black with some head that dissipated. Typical stout appearance.

S: Lots of chocolate, roasted malts, bourbon and vanilla.

T: Follows the nose exactly. Lots of bourbon up front (which I love), chocolate and vanilla.

M: Nice and smooth mouthfeel with moderate carbonation.

O: I'm a huge fan of FiftyFifty Eclipse variants. Even though the price is fairly high, the taste is always worth the money.

07-30-2013 23:04:28 | More by Rinkor16
Igotmypistola

4.6/5  rDev +2.9%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

Been saving this for a good occasion. Long day running around, serving tables. TIME to serve myself up some of that 'treat yo' self!'

Right away pours that inkly black you can only find inside an Elijah Craig bourbon barrel. Smells like I dumped a few drops of that sweet sticky inside my morning joe. BIG roasty, vanilla, cacao. the bourbon notes are so delicate and subtle but right there. Soooo smooth and layered. The oh so mild sweetness lingers on the tongue forever.

LOVE this brew. Can't say enough about it. Would buy time and time again. Even at 27$ a bomber. I'm worth it.

07-14-2013 05:16:10 | More by Igotmypistola
Phelps

Arizona

4.05/5  rDev -9.4%

Bottle into a snifter.

Pours a clear amber that coalesces to become dead black. One finger of thick, sticky sandy brown grips the glass in full walls.

Maple syrup, molasses, vanilla, oak, a touch of toasted coconut. Sweet, rich.

A bit of alcohol heat in the nose. Booze is just a bit more intense than the underlying stout. Sweet bourbon, vanilla, oak, brown sugar, maple syrup. A little more stout flavor would be good here, but the bourbon is nice. Not too harsh.

Silky medium body. Creamy. Soft carbonation, a mild massage.

Good flavor. Not the best variation ever.

07-11-2013 22:20:54 | More by Phelps
Hatzilla

4.49/5  rDev +0.4%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Vintage 2011, Bottle 350

A - Pitch black pour, foamy brown one inch head

S - Raisins, chocolate, cocoa, leather, oak, vanilla, bourbon and licorice

T - Lots of bourbon, chocolate, dark fruits, vanilla and charred oak barrels. Alcohol is well masked for the strength; a great sipper.

M - Mouth is silky smooth, carbonation in the low to medium range with a dry cocoa powder finish.

O - My first Eclipse and I can't wait to try more! This beer reminded of me of Goose Island Bourbon County Stout, which is to say damn good! A strong beer but the alcohol is relatively well hidden. I really like the chocolate and relative lack of alcohol. It's there but not over the top. Cheers!

07-07-2013 06:41:49 | More by Hatzilla
Brad007

Vermont

4.44/5  rDev -0.7%
look: 5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.75

Pours a shade of charcoal with a huge brown head into my glass. Takes a while to settle, leaving a ton of lacing on the sides.

Bourbon, tobacco and cocoa come through on the nose. Obviously, age has mellowed the bourbon presence.

Cocoa, tobacco and dark fruits dominate the taste upfront with a faded bourbon note. Again, very mellow, almost too mellow for me. I find myself searching for more flavors but can't seem to find anything else.

Mouthfeel gets creamy towards the back with a lingering cocoa presence. A bit of searching brings up the tobacco/dark fruit flavors. Clean, creamy finish.

A marvelous imperial stout. Was it worth $26.99? Honestly, I've had better examples for half that price or even less. Still, if you're into aging imperial stouts for a very long time, this is a good investment. I bought this bottle back in December of 2012 and it's been in the fridge since. I do want to try the other varieties available. If you're a fan of imperial stouts and want something different, check this out.

06-08-2013 14:40:01 | More by Brad007
Dope

4.31/5  rDev -3.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Bottle 2964 of the 2011 batch.

A: Pours a pitch black with a large, dense medium brown head. Head fades slowly, leaving nice solid walls of lacing behind. Great head retention too.

S: Wonderful sweet bourbon aroma with lots of caramel, brown sugar and vanilla. Toasted sugar too. Chocolate from the roasted malt melds in nicely. Maybe even hints of coconut from the barrels? Sweet and rich smelling. Wonderful.

T: Oh yeah, really nice bourbon up front. Sweet and heavy caramel and toffee and even some molasses it seems. Lots of charred oak in there too. Heavy on the dark chocolate, kinda fudgy in a way. Chocolate turns a bit bitter in the finish with some oak from the barrels and a little burnt sugars to boot. Lingering oak in the aftertaste with just a little alcohol burn between sips.

M: Nice medium-heavy bodied. Smooth and thick.

O: One of the nicer Eclipse variants. This one is a bit heavy on the wood with lots of charred oak. I'll have to try this one fresh sometime, I wonder if the bourbon has faded a bit - this is definitely the oldest eclipse I've had (at least 18 months old now I'm guessing). Strong in the aroma but not as strong as some of the fresher variants I've had. Hard to say. Still quite good, don't get me wrong but it makes me wonder.

06-04-2013 04:14:08 | More by Dope
sukwonee

Washington

4.1/5  rDev -8.3%

2011 Vintage (so about 1.5 years old), purple wax, served at slightly colder than room temperature

A: Black, looks a tad bit thin from the way it swirls, half a finger head, mocha head that retains for a few minutes. It's aight

S: Vanilla and coconut forward (very nice!), I also get quite a bit of alcohol, roasted malt... that's about it.

T: Alcohol is a bit too much for me but it really follows the nose. I am a bit surprised though that after a year and a half, it's still this hot (and it's only 9.5%). I also taste honey towards the middle/end. It's delicious, but slightly disappointed? I think EC18 was better.

M: It's chewy alright, but a bit on the thinner side. Alcohol burn is felt for sure.

O: It's a very very good barrel aged stout, but not among the best I've had. I am glad I got to try it though! (I will be sticking to Parabola, which is cheaper and easier to obtain for me)

05-31-2013 02:59:39 | More by sukwonee
zac16125

South Carolina

4.43/5  rDev -0.9%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

22oz bottle into a snifter
2012 Vintage, bottle number Br3

A big thanks to fatbeats18 for sending this one over in a trade.

A: Pours black with some browning on the edges. 1.5 finders width of light mocha colored head dissipates down at a moderate rate to a thin film. That film remains throughout the majority of the drink though, and leaves a fair amount of lacing.

S: Dark fruits, cocoa, roasted malt, booze, chocolate fudge, cinnamon. Barrel notes are presents with oak, vanilla, and bourbon but not nearly as strong as I remembered the EC 18 year being. Still very nice though, and only improves as it warms.

T: Lots of sweetness up front. There is a honey sweetness, then a rich chocolate fudge character. This is followed by oak and roasted malts on the finish. I get bourbon next, bitter black coffee, and vanilla. There is an aftertaste of oaky-vanilla that lingers forever after each sip.

M/D: Nice and smooth, thicker than it looks during the pour, and fairly chewy. Carbonation on the higher end of the spectrum for the style. ABV well masked. Drinkability is good.

O: This is an excellent beer, but its not as good as the 2011 FiftyFifty EC 18yr I had a little while back. That being said the EC 18 was one of the best beers Ive ever had. This one, although still great, had noticeably less barrel notes, and less of the chocolate fudge/cake batter sweetness that I got in the 2011 EC 18 (same base beer I believe so not sure what the difference was, different vintage, different batch, more time?). That being said, still a hell of a beer. Glad I got to try this one. Thanks again fatbeats for sending it my way!

05-27-2013 00:18:26 | More by zac16125
ArrogantB

Colorado

Even though it was against my better judgement I acquired a bottle of this. I heard the EC 12 year was one of the best eclipses so I dropped an unseemly amount of money for a bomber ($24). I had this feeling all along it wasn't going to be worth the money since Parabola is only $15 and I was proven right. Dark black beer, super healthy head. Aroma is mild bourbon, and then I get notes of honey, not bad. Flavor was mostly bourbon, wood, more booze, touch of honey. I was really hoping for some chocolate or vanilla or coconut flavors but I got none. I suspected this beer was overpriced and now I feel vindicated. Caveat emptor. I sort of wish I had just bought two bottles of older viscosity instead. :(

05-22-2013 03:52:55 | More by ArrogantB
Kraig

4.99/5  rDev +11.6%

Excellent Stout beer. Slight honey flavor was outstanding. I also enjoyed the oak barrel flavoring. The oak barrel flavor and the honey flavor compliments each other greatly. This is an extremely dark beer and definitely named appropriately.

I highly recommend this beer.

05-19-2013 18:30:27 | More by Kraig
gueuzedreg

Colorado

3.75/5  rDev -16.1%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

This bottle was a little harsh for my palate, but I can see why many people enjoy it.

A- Kinda transparent for a BA Stout. Thank You Mr. Minor lacing.

S- Kinda musty. It almost smells sour, but the barrel characteristic comes out.

T- I get a harsh rye bite out of this one. Not as smooth as I like it. Barrel character is present, some charred dark fruit and molasses is present.

M- Thin like the appearance. Leaves a nice coat of barrel after drinking it though!

O- I have yet to be impressed by 50/50, but I also have not had the pappy or vanilla

05-07-2013 16:17:56 | More by gueuzedreg
Imperial Eclipse Stout - Elijah Craig (12 Year) from FiftyFifty Brewing Co.