Imperial Eclipse Stout - Elijah Craig (12 Year) - FiftyFifty Brewing Co.

Imperial Eclipse Stout - Elijah Craig (12 Year)Imperial Eclipse Stout - Elijah Craig (12 Year)

FiftyFifty Brewing Co. visit their website

American Double / Imperial Stout |  11.90% ABV

Availability: Fall

Imperial Stout aged 200 days in an Elijah Craig bourbon barrel.

(Beer added by: Jmoore50 on 12-29-2009)
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Imperial Eclipse Stout - Elijah Craig (12 Year) Alström Bros
hsaye

08-26-2013 13:39:44 | More by douginromeo
Kaveman

08-26-2013 02:28:08 | More by Kaveman
pkalix

ultra-dark brown, not black. nice layer of tan-ish foam on the first pour- not too vigorous, don't wanna spoil what liveliness exists in this gal,,, supreme super shiny micro-bubble lacing down the sides. had her sister last night, the Grand Cru. best brew I had ever had, in my life, I believe.... I thought I was spoiled....
strong, pleasant, sweet mix of bourbon/whiskey with some coffee, dark fruits and vanilla(?). like a really good whiskey, I could go on sniffing this until it warms... I am expecting very much from this one; this is my 4th Eclipse in the last month. i'd never heard of it, nor known of it before. what a find! what a heavenly aroma! without grossing you out, I could probably orgasm with a constant stream of this smell into my nostrils... and I haven't even taken my first sip... raisin? plum? alcohol!
first sip.... nicely darkened fruit. nice malty, sticky syrup on the finish. a little bit of coffee. I've never wanted to nurse and embrace a beer like I have this one. I've never wanted to take my time with a beer like I have this one. I've never been so giddy knowing there's still half a bottle of beer in the frig to finish off as this one. I've never wanted to be so ALONE with a beer as I have with this one. still relishing the wonderful fragrance, another long smooth draw is utterly satisfying to the palate. my girlfriend would never understand and I hope she doesn't come home anytime soon. she's already threatened to put me in to Jenny Craig.... or was that
Betty Ford? I get the two mixed up. maybe because it's that I know this is my last one and I don't know where to find another one until December, but I am utterly ravished with this nectar. the pliny before this cant hold a candle to it. i'm sorry. if every beer were like this, I wouldn't feel the need to rush through beer after beer to get to the next one in hopes of finding the next "god-sent" product. as I stare lustily at my STILL-half-filled glass, my ability to restrain myself surpasses ALL my expectations and I can only imagine the jealousy my girlfriend would experience if she only knew I could hold on this long for such a beautiful endeavor. another privileged mouth full of heaven and I can feel the smooth rush of bourbon-tinted wonderfulness teasing and exciting every last taste bud on my tongue- even the lethargic ones left over from my pot-smoking days are energized into a frenzy and clamoring for more. I am utterly entranced. these people who make this beer are my heroes. they have made me forget about Russian River completely. I am completely and utterly enamored with this brew. I cant hold off any longer. my youth and inexperience are coming back and I feel like a teen-ager again. I don't know how much longer I can hold back- I just wanna GULP in this last bit of my glass... must, hold, back...
okay. i'm back. I can honestly say I've never taken this long to write a BA review for any beer before. 2nd pour is just as beautiful as the first, maybe a little more head. but that dissipated rather quickly. I don't know why but I felt this internal, inherent desire to CHEW away the remaining grape-colored wax dripping off the side in suspension... I AM heterosexual...
I don't know what else to say. this is rapture, losing-your-virginity and a firm-pat-on-your-dog's-head kind of ecstasy all rolled into one. my only desire is to relax and finish this one out in privacy. if anybody within my close personal circles is reading this, a case of this is my ultimate Christmas present and birthday present all rolled into one. hell, i'll even give you a pass for the rest of my life.
if St. Bernardus is a 5, this is a 6. I will renounce all my beliefs in modern-day science and call the earth flat for a case of this beer. umm, in case you're wondering, this is my 5.... on top of all other 5's....

08-25-2013 23:02:09 | More by pkalix
Leftofthedial

08-25-2013 04:57:08 | More by Leftofthedial
stuart3368

Colorado

08-23-2013 01:34:40 | More by stuart3368
AgentMunky

4.09/5  rDev -8.5%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Poured from a 22 ounce bottle into a brandy snifter. Bottle 668, vintage 2011.

A: Black, with no head, but heavy lacing.

S: Boozy and strong.

T: This is a delicious beer. Not as strong as I was expecting, it's mild and inviting, with lots of soft vanilla and bittersweet chocolate. The aftertaste is warming and lingering. Still, after two years, I expected a bit more.

M: Surprisingly clean without being carbonated or thin. Solid beer.

O: Very nice! I like this beer a lot.

08-20-2013 06:00:09 | More by AgentMunky

smartassboiler

08-19-2013 13:04:41 | More by smartassboiler
joe1510

4.7/5  rDev +5.1%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.75

22oz Bomber

Cheers to Rockstein for splitting this bomber with me! 50/50 is a black hole of a beer, the room darkens and my smile widens with the pour. The milk chocolate head rises super late from the black body to a cap of foam after the pour. After a few minutes in the snifter the head settles to a thin ring and leaves little chunky lacing behind with each small swirl of the glass. The looks alone tell me this is a stout to be reckoned with.

It would be tough for more complexity to be jammed into the nose of this stout. The bourbon barrel qualities pop through first with sweet, lightly spiced bourbon, handfuls of toasted coconut, and vanilla galore. Soon after come the hugely complex stout characteristics. Butterscotch and a plethora of dark fruits make up for the main body with a somewhat sweet, somewhat spicy bourbon finish.

The flavor profile somehow manages to trump the incredibly rich nose. The barrel characteristics I mentioned in the nose go expertly hand in hand with the huge stout body. Butterscotch works from front to back but isn't overly sweet like in most other stouts that bring butterscotch. The dark fruits roll through mid palate after the barrel aging characteristics start to fade and integrate into the overall flavor. There is a crazy cotton candy like airy sweet finish that wraps this beer up beautifully. A touch of spiciness from the bourbon lasts for a few seconds after each swallow. The complexity of this beer comes together amazingly well. There is no part that dominates the others.

Just like the other aspects of this beer the mouthfeel has been nailed. The body is thick, rich and coating but fades a few seconds after each sip. A lot of these big stouts are sticky sweet but this one walks the line perfectly. A touch of warmth on the swallow cuts what sweetness is present and makes for a luxurious mouthfeel.

I could easily sip the night away with this 50/50. The balance between sweet and heat & barrel and stout make a great compliment to one another. It's rare that you run across a stout that's this big, robust, and complex that's so easy to drink.

50/50 Elijah Craig is one of the best stouts I've had in recent memory. I could easily live with a few more of these floating in my fridge. This is a stout worth seeking out without a doubt. Thanks again for the pour, Dave!

Reviewed: 2/25/10

Maryland

08-17-2013 12:43:47 | More by bmmortale
brywhite

08-15-2013 20:24:58 | More by brywhite
Imperial Eclipse Stout - Elijah Craig (12 Year) from FiftyFifty Brewing Co.