Imperial Eclipse Stout - Heaven Hill Rittenhouse Rye - FiftyFifty Brewing Co.

Imperial Eclipse Stout - Heaven Hill Rittenhouse RyeImperial Eclipse Stout - Heaven Hill Rittenhouse Rye

FiftyFifty Brewing Co. visit their website

American Double / Imperial Stout |  11.90% ABV

Availability: Fall

Beer added by: Jmoore50 on 12-29-2009

Imperial Stout aged 175 days in Rittenhouse Rye Whiskey barrels. The 2012 version contains a small amount of beer aged in Heaven Hill Pikesville Supreme Rye Whiskey barrels.
4.97/5  rDev +18.1%

2010 bottle, number 357.

Many thanks to bhollas for hooking me up with this bottle. Poured from bottle into DFH snifter. Pours a pitch black color, a little tan head emerges and then settles quickly. Smell- BOURBON! This is a total booze bomb on the nose, smells like bourbon, chocolate, and molasses. Awesome. Taste- buttery, caramel, toffee, a little roasty bitterness, and the bourbon flavor at the end. WOW. This one is unbelievable good. I'm blown away. This might be my favorite bourbon barrel beer I have ever had and I don't have another one. This is near perfection. My mouth lingers with a buttery caramel bourbon flavor. No booziness at all here, its just super smooth. (681 characters)

4.97/5  rDev +18.1%

The best Imperial Stout I have ever had. Served in a Bruery tulip glass with two fellow beer lovers. Everyone who had it said it was the best Imperial Stout they have had. This might be the second or third beer I have had that is actually worth the $20 price tag.

The appearance on this brew is dark. It has a dark black heart and lighter leather-brown edges. It pours with a half finger cocoa head that leaves a film over the brew. It has a liquor characteristic to it, meaning it looks pretty oily in the tulip. The alcoholic legs on this are beautiful.

The smell and taste are similar so I will combine. There are some pretty deep dark characters in this one. Chocolate truffles, tootsie rolls, toffee, roasted grains, wet sugared plumbs and assorted dark fruits, and an amazing Heaven Hill Rye flavor. This again is pushed by the Rye, the flavors I first described are just being pushed to the limits on flavor, amazing. The barrel on this does the brew wonders. The smell has a heavier Rye Whiskey aspect to it, but the taste is just perfect. I love Rye whiskeys so this one was like a wet dream. Everyone, including myself, was just blown away with the quality of the smells and tastes.

The mouthfeel is silky smooth. The grains of the beer take away the small bite that Rye whiskey sometimes has. This beer has the best aspects of an Imperial Stout and those flavors get pushed and paired perfectly.

Drinkability is stunning. This is one I could drink with special occasions and with every meal. I could easily take a bottle of this by myself, and maybe even two. The sweetness aren't overwhelming, neither are the grains or oak or whiskey flavors. Just perfect, really perfect. The only reason I did not give it fives all around is because there was no real lacing, little thin on the look and not dark as coal. I think in a year a perfect fives all around will come, but now I will enjoy what I got. Still cannot believe that this is the same base beer that the JD version is made of.

(2,005 characters)

4.92/5  rDev +16.9%

Well, looking at these bottles since spring, I've been constantly reminded of the generosity of cloudskipper for sending me two bottles of the first generation Eclipse stouts. Thank you, again, my California beer dealer. Bottle #1587 split with my wife.

The green wax is actively hostile, & I have to risk physical injury slashing it off. Once I wrestle the cap off, the beautiful smell hits me like a teen-movie bitch slap. This is a beer that I could snuggle on my upper lip for an hour. The bourbony vanilla comes out strong - not Ahnold strong, but farm-boy, natural biceps strong. Roast malts & distant tropics underlay the rye whiskey, but it doesn't really matter.

Eclipse Heaven Hill Rye is downright freakin' fantastic. It's one of those beers that my first sip turns into a long sip, then a pull, & I have to pry my lips off of the glass. Fuck! I love my wife dearly, but I should have opened this while she was in Siberia or someplace.

The rye whiskey is dominant but doesn't squash the base into beer jelly. Love the rye, it adds a bit of spiciness to the deep malts & hard whiskey. Falling bits of vanilla, nice trace of peat moss, roast. Then the rye whiskey comes back in & obliterates everything & makes me happy. And this is smoooth. My ass wasn't this smooth at four weeks of age.

Bloody excellent beer, one of the best I've had in a long time. Perfectly balanced, easy to drink, delicious, with a smell that flares into happiness every time I put the glass near my face. So glad I ordered the current batch. Absolutely beautiful. Can't wait to try more. (1,580 characters)

4.85/5  rDev +15.2%

Review #300

A - Nice fluffy caramel malted head. Very rich looking like a latte. Brew swirls with ease and creates a nice marbling effect with medium sized bubbles. Brew is jet black with thin body.

S - Nice subtle Rye scent. Milk chocolate scent with notes of bold coffee. Toffee dominates with kicks of nuts. Smells a touch like a pencil eraser (rubber). Lightly smokey and well malted.

T/M - Very nice toasted-nutty flavor. Well hoped with nothing out of line. Rye is very well done, provides great hits of vanilla and toffee. Smooth light chocolate. Nice Brown sugar flavor with out the sugary-sweetness. No heat, no bitterness, super smooth. Perfect carbonation, an awesome sipping beer.

O - As good as it gets. Not over rated by any means, super glad I got to finally try this one... Thanks for the Distro-drop in CO, 50/50. A touch on the thin side, but still great. it would be difficult to thicken the body without heavily modifying flavor or mouthfeel. Fantastic brew. A steep price to pay, but grab it if you can find it. (1,038 characters)

4.82/5  rDev +14.5%

Bottle shared by Grant - much obliged!

Pours black with a 1.5-finger tan head. The head recedes into a thin layer on top leaving decent lacing.

Smells of smooth dark chocolate with muted roasted malts. Also present are good amounts of vanilla aromas from the barrels and lighter amounts of tobacco.

Tastes phenomenal. Soft roasted malt flavors are met almost immediately with smooth dark chocolate flavors with hints of sweeter milk chocolate. Midway through the sip vanilla flavors work their way into things along with a faint rye spiciness. Finally, hints of tobacco flavors come into play near the end before all flavors meld together and carry through to a moderately bitter ending.

Mouthfeel is great. It's got a very nice thickness with small and grainy carbonation.

Drinkability is also great. I finished my glass quickly and could easily have more.

Overall this beer was all I was hoping it would be. Tasted alongside some other heavy hitters this was unquestionably my favorite. A nuanced big and barrel-aged stout that is well worth seeking out. (1,062 characters)

4.8/5  rDev +14%

Big thanks to James for getting this one to me. Dark green wax bottle shared with the Brick Store crew.

The pour is dark, dark brown, not quite completely black, with a small mocha head that recedes quickly to a thin collar.

The aroma is excellent - rye whiskey makes its presence felt but don't overwhelm the underlying beer. Those aromas are dark chocolate, roasted malts and hints of dark fruit. Throw in some vanilla, coconut and tobacco.

The taste is just sublime, with all kinds of flavors coming together perfectly. There's chocolate, coffee and dark malts with the rye whiskey complementing. The interesting characteristics in the taste are the tobacco and leather that come through a bit in the finish.

The mouthfeel is medium bodied with soft carbonation and not nearly as charred or super-sweet as some other impy stouts.

The drinkability is off-the-charts for an impy stout. The barrel character is completely integrated into the well-balanced underlying beer. This is right up there with the Pappy from last year as one of the best BA beers I've ever tasted. Gorgeous. (1,086 characters)

4.74/5  rDev +12.6%

On tap at City Beer. This was slightly better than the Elijah Craig version and about on par with the '08 Pappy Van Winkle.

This beer pours black and viscous with a small brown head and not much lacing. Nice and oily looking with some legs going on.

Aroma is full, smooth, and awesome. Rye whiskey and oak barrel notes well-balanced with roast, rich chocolate, and vanilla.

Flavor is also very intense and well-balanced. Extremely smooth Heaven Hill rye, oak, vanilla, roast, dark chocolate, coffee, and maybe even some dark fruit notes in there.

Smooth, slick, and full on the palate. This is a case where the awesome mouthfeel noticeably adds to your enjoyment of the beer.

Not really drinkable in large quantities, but hey, this is a whiskey barrel aged stout, so if you're swigging it like it's water, you should probably seek professional help. For what it is, I can drink a hell of a lot of it. I was brutally hung over from both beer and cigars, and even a bit barrel aged out, but this was still amazing nonetheless and not a chore to finish the glass. Overall, this is an awesome beer, no question about it. Highly recommended. (1,141 characters)

4.7/5  rDev +11.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Big thanks to Bring for hooking me up with this one.

Pours a translucent dark brown, and in the glass it's an opaque dark chocolate color. A small leather-colored head rises to a finger's height and just as quickly settles to a ring.

The aroma is an intoxicating mix of chocolate caramel candy, boozy rye whiskey and vanilla. There's a subtle fruitiness in the background, honey and light roastiness. This smells outstanding.

The taste, surprisingly, is even better than the aroma. It opens with a medley of milk chocolate, honey, vanilla and caramel, which segues into a mid-palate of burnt toast, spicy rye whiskey and plenty of boozy heat. The body is medium-full, right about where I like it for the style; it's neither thin nor syrupy. A bittersweet dark chocolate finish beautifully contrasts the initial chocolate-caramel blast, leaving a hint of charred malt, licorice and alcohol on the palate. It's rare that I'm impressed with big stouts these days, but I have to admit that this is an exceptionally well made beer. (1,029 characters)

4.7/5  rDev +11.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Not sure if this is the appropriate way to review, but since these are the same beer I think this will work. I just opened a 2012 version, poured into a whiskey sampler.

A: Deep dark brown in color, small carbonation forms a small, tightly-bubbled head. Tiny patches of lacing adorn the glass after a gentle swirl.

NOTHING NEW HERE.

S: The nose is bourbon-forward, quickly followed by all of the enticing aromas expected from a big craft stout - chocolate, vanilla, coffee, licorice. The alcohol is pretty strong and seems to propel the big bouquet to the nose.

VANILLA IS A BIT MORE CHISELLED BUT THE REST IS THE SAME.

T: Surprisingly, the bourbon is much more subdued than you'd think from its aromas. Instead of a hot bourbon-y blast, you get a nearly seamless package of flavors that wash over your palate. The chocolate and vanilla notes are there, licorice and coffee. But there's also rich buttery anchor to the flavor profile, almost like butterscotch. And the alcohol takes a back seat - it's there, but unlike most barrel-aged imperial stouts, this doesn't deserve the "boozy" descriptor. Finishes with a trace of lingering sweetness and alcohol warmth.

MORE BOOZY THAN THE FORMER, BUT NOT MORE HARSH OR ABRASIVE. UNSWEETENED CHOCOLATE AND ANISE PLAY A HUGE PART, WHILE THE OAKY, BUTTERY NOTES MENTIONED BEFORE HELP TO BALANCE.

M: Rich and creamy, full-bodied. Carbonation is low, but the flavors are so harmonious you don't really need a big carb scrub.

YEP.

Well, what can I say? I'm glad I popped this open, I've got a bunch of these cellared but I wanted to try their most coveted, this 18 year Elijah Craig (which is a delicious bourbon, I'm more of a Scotch buy, but EC bourbon is amazing) fresh. Absolutely lives up to the hype and price, this brew is a piece of art.

DITTO FOR RITTENHOUSE RYE. ACTUALLY THIS BEER IS SLIGHTLY BETTER. I THINK THIS IS THE BEST OF THE ECLIPSE SO FAR. (1,914 characters)

4.67/5  rDev +10.9%

A nice birthday treat. Poured from the bottle into a tulip

A: An aggressive pour gives me a 1/2 inch creamy head that slowly dissipates, leaving just a thin light film above the deep, dark, opaque brown beneath.

S: This beer smells absolutely incredible. Dark chocolate, stone fruits, molasses, oak, and whiskey. It smells exactly like what you expect and hope a -bal aged stout to smell like, and cranks it up to 11.

T: Carmel, roasted malts, whiskey, with a light touch of oak. I had my first couple of ounces at this beer when it was still chilled and was slightly disappointed at the bitter finish. Rest assured, once you let this beer warm up, the flavors completely mellow and meld into each other. This beer isn't excessively boozy, but the rye whiskey influence is definitely there -- Dare I say it? The beer may still be just a TOUCH too hot. A little age is going to make this an easy perfect 5.

The bottle says 9.5% -- That may be true for the base beer, but I guarantee this picked up alcohol from the barrel. I would be surprised if this beer wasn't actually somewhere closer to 12%.

M: Carbonation is on the lower end, but absolutely perfect for the style. Beer just has this great velvety texture that coats the tongue without being excessively syrupy.

D: Three hours later, I've finished my 22oz bomber. Can't wait to try the Elijah Craig and Jack Daniel's version of this beer.

Final Verdict: Amazing -bal aged stout. Easily one of my top 5, and I think with a year on it, would be a close contender for the #1 or 2 spot. (1,545 characters)

4.67/5  rDev +10.9%
look: 5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

A: Dark black pour from which no light escapes. 1 inch tan/ brown head that retains slightly around the glass. Dark bubbles rise steadily to the top of the glass. Perfect look.

S: Deep dark chocolate notes right up front. The prominent whisky notes come through after that distinctly.

T: Bitter chocolate right up front and the taste really dominates the sip. Whisky notes comes through but do not over power the taste. There is slight hop bitterness that comes through as well. Chocolate comes through again at the end of the taste and lingers long after the sip.

M: Thick and almost chewy. Coats the mouth allowing all the different flavors to have their own distinctness.

O: Great beer overall. Not as good as the Elijah Craig version that I had during New Years but still a very good overall ba stout (809 characters)

4.66/5  rDev +10.7%

The beer comes in a black color, medium plus viscosity.

The aroma offers dried fruit, touches of whiskey, and barrel character.

The flavor follows of those notes of sweet raisins and plum. A sweet toffee quality in the middle. Not a highly robust stout with milk chocolate and mocha flavors throughout. A pop of whiskey enters the palate as well.

A well balanced barrel aged brew. (383 characters)

4.64/5  rDev +10.2%

A: Black with a creamy mocha head.

S: Vanilla, oak, sweet dark and milk chocolates, a bit of rye and alcohol in the nose.

T: Taste is vanilla, chocolate, some coffee, sweet and a bit tart, some rye.

M: Full bodied and creamy smooth.

O: Definitely one of the best Eclipse stouts, I'd give it an easy A/A+/97. (311 characters)

look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Thanks to Joey Schlitz for picking up my Eclipse bottles from CBS and shipping them out to me. Cracked open my first tonight and it does not disappoint. Pours nearly black with light tan head. Smell is dominated by whiskey, followed by vanilla and some chocolate. Taste is...more whiskey, along with bitter chocolate and vanilla. Slightly sweet, but overall very restrained. Finishes with an interesting bitterness, perhaps from the chocolate notes. A little raisin in there too. Overall, very well rounded and well balanced. Not over the top with the barrel aging. A barrel aged beverage with class and distinction - appropriate for the parlor.

Body is medium to thick with medium carbonation. Overall, an amazing product. (725 characters)

look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

1/24/2010

Bottle 1576. Thanks to Barry and Arbitrator for helping me acquire this. Consumed in a snifter. The beer is extremely dark brown, near black, with a small light brown head.

The nose is of round and sometimes square milk chocolate cookies with caramel, oak, and vanilla. The Heaven Hill lends a light rye spiciness that's neither too strong nor too weak. There's a pleasurable upper moderate level of booze heat that provides a faint nostril sting. On the whole, this is an outstanding aroma. I rated this a 4.5 in aroma and then left my snifter to revisit at a later time during the tasting. 30 minutes passed before I touched this again, and the nose had been transformed from great to exceptional. I have a few words for you: amazing barrel aged American Double/Imperial Stout aroma.

The flavor continues the trend of excellence, though it couldn't possibly live up to the aroma. Notes of milk chocolate and caramel meld with Rye whisky, a dash of smoke, and a subtle spiciness. A lower moderate level of roast is perceivable, and the heat in the finish is at a perfect upper moderate level. The mouthfeel is full, silky, creamy, and square. Unlike a few other stouts I can think of, this beer is devoid of harsh solvents, extreme astringency, and torched acrid malt roast. Outstanding. (1,301 characters)

2009 Vintage.
Pours out pretty pitch black with only a slight ring of brown at the edge. Tan half inch of head with little rings of lace.

The smell is subdued from age I assume. Chocolate, smooth, melted, bittersweet chocolate is the main component of the nose. Small but rich. Cherry comes next with some oak and earth, finishes with a rye whiskey spice (only slight). I've been adding notes as this warms (same with taste). The smell is much more prevalent as it warms.

The taste starts with heavy chocolate and I mean HEAVY! Rye whiskey is also pretty noticeable up front, spicy and delicious, reminds me of chocolate with chili peppers. Huge oak note followed by some earthy hops that are surprisingly still there. The oak dries it out a little which complements the sweetness well. HOT DAMN!

The mouth is thick and smooth.

I like this one quite a bit more than the other two I got (Four Roses & Evan Williams,) which I liked quite a bit. Maybe it was the Rye Whiskey barrels used that gave it that spice I like, maybe it was the age. Great beer though, very glad I dropped the extra dough. (1,098 characters)

4.55/5  rDev +8.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.5

Generously shared at Dyan's place the other evening.

Eclipsse pours a fairly dark brown color with very good head retention and considerable lacing. The beer looks thick and viscuous... The nose is just stunning, showcasing considerable bourbon, coupled with brown sugar, chocolate and even light chalk. There is considerable honey in the nose as well, and in combination, it gives one the impression this beer will be fairly sweet. The flavor profile replicates the nose, but on the palate, the honey flavor really asserts itself. This beer is pretty sweet and rich, and the mouthfeel if full, long, creamy and altogether decadent. There is some light booze as well on the finish, but otherwise the alcohol is really quite well integrated into the flavort profile (the beer is not at all hot or tiring on the palate).

Quite an impressive beer. Just delicious. (863 characters)

4.54/5  rDev +7.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

22oz bottle served into a snifter. 2012 vintage.

A: Dark brown/black color. Small brown head that disappeared quickly.
S: Lots of whiskey. A bit of spicy rye character blended with lots of chocolate, vanilla, and coffee.
T: Oaky and boozy. I like this. Spicy rye with vanilla, caramel and chocolate following. Roasty malt character.
M: Full bodied, rich and creamy. Soft carbonation. A touch of alcohol heat balanced well with the sweetness.
O: This is an excellent beer, I can't wait to try the other variants. Can't believe it's only 9.5%, feels much bigger. (566 characters)

4.53/5  rDev +7.6%
look: 5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

2009 bottle
Pours nearly black, with wispy light tan head that exhibits good lacing. Whiskey aromas blend with dark to milk chocolate, slight deep figgy ripe fruit notes. Light carbonation leads to full burbon/cola vanilla boozyness that is followed by slightly tannic, oaky, licorice and a bit of bitterness on the finish. Mouthfeel is almost perfect; would like it to be a little more coating, but pretty spot on as is. Overall an awesome beer; glad I have an 2010 to try, and will update when I do! (501 characters)

4.52/5  rDev +7.4%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

2010 bottle, brought it back from our last trip to Truckee. A friend had two bottles, and he didn't like it!

Poured into a classy hotel tumbler. Pours very dark with a thin light tan head. The rad disappears quickly. Aroma is of bourbon, vanilla, and chocolate. Tastes of more fudgey chocolate, smooth vanilla and well-integrated bourbon. The feel is on thicker side, with a nice mellow carbonation level. A very enjoyable, slightly grainy and roasty coffee finish develops as it warms. Seems like there are lots of bottle variation with the Eclipse series, and I think I got a good one here. Really mellow with lots of depth, enjoyed this a lot. (647 characters)

4.52/5  rDev +7.4%

Thanks to kecarl7 for this one

A-split three ways into sniffers. Dark black with a faint cocoa head. Relatively thin body. I must admit i did not have high hopes for this one.

S-smells like chocolate and molasses with a bourbon aroma.

T-absolutely fantastic taste, lots of honey and rye up front giving it a slightly bitter bourbon taste. I can't stop thinking about how good this was.

M-thin but chewy, low carbonation but very impressive for the light body.

O-this is a delicious beer but a bit thin. Drinkability is odd just because I expected more resistance going down. (581 characters)

4.51/5  rDev +7.1%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

A: Jet black with a 1" tan head which settles rapidly, leaving some decent lacing

S: LIght Roastiness, dark chocolate, burnt raisin, some complex spice aromas and very good integration of barrel aromas

T: Great mouthfeel. Oily and creamy but pretty lithe for an imperial stout. The hop bitterness blends masterfully with the roastiness. The lower abv suits it really well. Flavors are similar to nose but more intense. Finishes really long with just a tinge of warmth.

O: Outstanding. I was a huge skeptic of this beer but it reminds me a lot of Parabola, but in a lighter, more drinkable style. I drank the bottle in one sitting. I will not be trading the rest of mine. (674 characters)

4.5/5  rDev +6.9%

22 oz bomber, 2011 vintage bottle number 2057, poured into a snifter.

A- Pours totally black, mahogany highlights at the edges, forms a thin tan head that reedes quickly to a ring around the edge of the glass, leaves pretty good lacing.

S- Pretty barrel-forward, lots of whiskey notes along with oak and vanilla, some tobacco, sweet maple syrup, some roasted notes in the background with dark chocolate and cocoa.

T- Not quite as heavy on the barrel as the nose implied, not as sweet either, whiskey is present but subtle, oak and vanilla complement it well. The beer is very well balanced by a strong roastiness with really nice chocolate and coffee flavors. Finishes with a bitter charred coffee bean flavor.

M- Medium to full bodied, relatively light and easy drinking, has a smooth velvety texture with low carbonation.

O- One of my favorite Eclipse varieties so far, definitely up there with the EC 12 and 18, the barrel flavors are done extremely well and the chocolate and roasted flavors are delicious, pretty damn drinkable for such a big stout as well. (1,067 characters)

4.5/5  rDev +6.9%

Very nice shade of black, well nearly. A large frothy head of half an inch of almond color holds long retention and shows fine lacing.

Phenomenal aromas. Chocolate, great whisky character, fruity, with some spicy rye notes, big oak and layered black fruits. Vanilla, molten caramel and toffee notes.

Again just delicious and supple. Nice oak tannins on the finish, long and semi sweet. Milk chocolate on the middle and finish, with a swirl of bitter cocoa throughout. Spicy rye on the finish while the mid palate is enamored with vanilla, oak, currant, burnt caramel, leather, and whisky soaked plums. Mouth is decadent, smooth and creamy. Gonna be sad when this ones gone. (675 characters)

Bottle #29, from 2011.
Pours with a very faint, soapy, and brown head over a deep brown-to-soda colored body. Pretty good lacing.
Aromas are rich and inviting - extremely sweet. Molasses layered on top of molasses. And a kiss of regular syrup, too! Whiff of the oak barrel and whiskey, but very tempered.
Mouthfeel is slick, oily, and rich. Flavor is full of the sticky sweetness picked up in the aroma - In addition to the molasses, there's some vanilla, raw honey, and I'm also getting some black licorice, charred malt, and a touch of deep red fruit.
This held up fantastically over the 3 years... glad I finally popped it. (638 characters)

Imperial Eclipse Stout - Heaven Hill Rittenhouse Rye from FiftyFifty Brewing Co.