Imperial Eclipse Stout - Heaven Hill Rittenhouse Rye - FiftyFifty Brewing Co.

Imperial Eclipse Stout - Heaven Hill Rittenhouse RyeImperial Eclipse Stout - Heaven Hill Rittenhouse Rye

FiftyFifty Brewing Co. visit their website

American Double / Imperial Stout |  9.50% ABV

Availability: Fall

Imperial Stout aged 175 days in Rittenhouse Rye Whiskey barrels. The 2012 version contains a small amount of beer aged in Heaven Hill Pikesville Supreme Rye Whiskey barrels.

(Beer added by: Jmoore50 on 12-29-2009)
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Raters

01-17-2012 12:25:03 | More by SpillyBeers
lnashsig

4.97/5  rDev +16.1%

2010 bottle, number 357.

Many thanks to bhollas for hooking me up with this bottle. Poured from bottle into DFH snifter. Pours a pitch black color, a little tan head emerges and then settles quickly. Smell- BOURBON! This is a total booze bomb on the nose, smells like bourbon, chocolate, and molasses. Awesome. Taste- buttery, caramel, toffee, a little roasty bitterness, and the bourbon flavor at the end. WOW. This one is unbelievable good. I'm blown away. This might be my favorite bourbon barrel beer I have ever had and I don't have another one. This is near perfection. My mouth lingers with a buttery caramel bourbon flavor. No booziness at all here, its just super smooth.

01-08-2012 03:00:34 | More by lnashsig
Jmoore50

Nevada

4.97/5  rDev +16.1%

The best Imperial Stout I have ever had. Served in a Bruery tulip glass with two fellow beer lovers. Everyone who had it said it was the best Imperial Stout they have had. This might be the second or third beer I have had that is actually worth the $20 price tag.

The appearance on this brew is dark. It has a dark black heart and lighter leather-brown edges. It pours with a half finger cocoa head that leaves a film over the brew. It has a liquor characteristic to it, meaning it looks pretty oily in the tulip. The alcoholic legs on this are beautiful.

The smell and taste are similar so I will combine. There are some pretty deep dark characters in this one. Chocolate truffles, tootsie rolls, toffee, roasted grains, wet sugared plumbs and assorted dark fruits, and an amazing Heaven Hill Rye flavor. This again is pushed by the Rye, the flavors I first described are just being pushed to the limits on flavor, amazing. The barrel on this does the brew wonders. The smell has a heavier Rye Whiskey aspect to it, but the taste is just perfect. I love Rye whiskeys so this one was like a wet dream. Everyone, including myself, was just blown away with the quality of the smells and tastes.

The mouthfeel is silky smooth. The grains of the beer take away the small bite that Rye whiskey sometimes has. This beer has the best aspects of an Imperial Stout and those flavors get pushed and paired perfectly.

Drinkability is stunning. This is one I could drink with special occasions and with every meal. I could easily take a bottle of this by myself, and maybe even two. The sweetness aren't overwhelming, neither are the grains or oak or whiskey flavors. Just perfect, really perfect. The only reason I did not give it fives all around is because there was no real lacing, little thin on the look and not dark as coal. I think in a year a perfect fives all around will come, but now I will enjoy what I got. Still cannot believe that this is the same base beer that the JD version is made of.

J

12-29-2009 01:41:55 | More by Jmoore50
maximum12

4.93/5  rDev +15.2%

Well, looking at these bottles since spring, I've been constantly reminded of the generosity of cloudskipper for sending me two bottles of the first generation Eclipse stouts. Thank you, again, my California beer dealer. Bottle #1587 split with my wife.

The green wax is actively hostile, & I have to risk physical injury slashing it off. Once I wrestle the cap off, the beautiful smell hits me like a teen-movie bitch slap. This is a beer that I could snuggle on my upper lip for an hour. The bourbony vanilla comes out strong - not Ahnold strong, but farm-boy, natural biceps strong. Roast malts & distant tropics underlay the rye whiskey, but it doesn't really matter.

Eclipse Heaven Hill Rye is downright freakin' fantastic. It's one of those beers that my first sip turns into a long sip, then a pull, & I have to pry my lips off of the glass. Fuck! I love my wife dearly, but I should have opened this while she was in Siberia or someplace.

The rye whiskey is dominant but doesn't squash the base into beer jelly. Love the rye, it adds a bit of spiciness to the deep malts & hard whiskey. Falling bits of vanilla, nice trace of peat moss, roast. Then the rye whiskey comes back in & obliterates everything & makes me happy. And this is smoooth. My ass wasn't this smooth at four weeks of age.

Bloody excellent beer, one of the best I've had in a long time. Perfectly balanced, easy to drink, delicious, with a smell that flares into happiness every time I put the glass near my face. So glad I ordered the current batch. Absolutely beautiful. Can't wait to try more.

11-10-2010 03:25:22 | More by maximum12
chugalug06

Colorado

4.88/5  rDev +14%

Review #300

A - Nice fluffy caramel malted head. Very rich looking like a latte. Brew swirls with ease and creates a nice marbling effect with medium sized bubbles. Brew is jet black with thin body.

S - Nice subtle Rye scent. Milk chocolate scent with notes of bold coffee. Toffee dominates with kicks of nuts. Smells a touch like a pencil eraser (rubber). Lightly smokey and well malted.

T/M - Very nice toasted-nutty flavor. Well hoped with nothing out of line. Rye is very well done, provides great hits of vanilla and toffee. Smooth light chocolate. Nice Brown sugar flavor with out the sugary-sweetness. No heat, no bitterness, super smooth. Perfect carbonation, an awesome sipping beer.

O - As good as it gets. Not over rated by any means, super glad I got to finally try this one... Thanks for the Distro-drop in CO, 50/50. A touch on the thin side, but still great. it would be difficult to thicken the body without heavily modifying flavor or mouthfeel. Fantastic brew. A steep price to pay, but grab it if you can find it.

01-22-2012 20:49:20 | More by chugalug06
glid02

4.85/5  rDev +13.3%

Bottle shared by Grant - much obliged!

Pours black with a 1.5-finger tan head. The head recedes into a thin layer on top leaving decent lacing.

Smells of smooth dark chocolate with muted roasted malts. Also present are good amounts of vanilla aromas from the barrels and lighter amounts of tobacco.

Tastes phenomenal. Soft roasted malt flavors are met almost immediately with smooth dark chocolate flavors with hints of sweeter milk chocolate. Midway through the sip vanilla flavors work their way into things along with a faint rye spiciness. Finally, hints of tobacco flavors come into play near the end before all flavors meld together and carry through to a moderately bitter ending.

Mouthfeel is great. It's got a very nice thickness with small and grainy carbonation.

Drinkability is also great. I finished my glass quickly and could easily have more.

Overall this beer was all I was hoping it would be. Tasted alongside some other heavy hitters this was unquestionably my favorite. A nuanced big and barrel-aged stout that is well worth seeking out.

08-31-2010 01:19:20 | More by glid02
gford217

4.83/5  rDev +12.9%

Big thanks to James for getting this one to me. Dark green wax bottle shared with the Brick Store crew.

The pour is dark, dark brown, not quite completely black, with a small mocha head that recedes quickly to a thin collar.

The aroma is excellent - rye whiskey makes its presence felt but don't overwhelm the underlying beer. Those aromas are dark chocolate, roasted malts and hints of dark fruit. Throw in some vanilla, coconut and tobacco.

The taste is just sublime, with all kinds of flavors coming together perfectly. There's chocolate, coffee and dark malts with the rye whiskey complementing. The interesting characteristics in the taste are the tobacco and leather that come through a bit in the finish.

The mouthfeel is medium bodied with soft carbonation and not nearly as charred or super-sweet as some other impy stouts.

The drinkability is off-the-charts for an impy stout. The barrel character is completely integrated into the well-balanced underlying beer. This is right up there with the Pappy from last year as one of the best BA beers I've ever tasted. Gorgeous.

08-28-2010 02:47:56 | More by gford217
Imperial Eclipse Stout - Heaven Hill Rittenhouse Rye from FiftyFifty Brewing Co.