Imperial Eclipse Stout - Four Roses Bourbon - FiftyFifty Brewing Co.

Imperial Eclipse Stout - Four Roses BourbonImperial Eclipse Stout - Four Roses Bourbon

FiftyFifty Brewing Co. visit their website

American Double / Imperial Stout |  9.50% ABV

Availability: Fall

Red wax identifies the Four Roses version.

(Beer added by: largadeer on 11-14-2010)
Hugonaut13

03-02-2014 21:35:35 | More by mquartuccio87
bashiba

Iowa

3.13/5  rDev -26.5%

Poured a nice deep dark brown with a thin ring of tan head.

Smelled sweet and chocolatey, almost candy bar like, very light on the bourbon with just a touch of vanilla.

My first impression of the flavor is wow this is boring. The flavors are strangely muted and subdued for a big barrel aged stout. Its a bit sweet with chocolate and coffee notes with a hint of bourbon and oak, but just barely.

Mouthfeel was lightly warm, but almost seemed a touch thin.

Overall one of the more pedestrian Barrel aged stouts I have had.

07-08-2012 17:22:02 | More by bashiba
CityofBals

3.25/5  rDev -23.7%

09-12-2013 18:07:58 | More by CityofBals
cpetrone84

3.33/5  rDev -21.8%

Had many of the eclipse series together. This is the 10 vintage. Pours a dark black liquid with thin tan head. The nose has a fair bit of wood, light bourbon notes, some dry chocolate and lightly sweet malts. The flavor has dry chocolate, roasted malts, a little sugary, bourbon and wood. It is a touch sweet, some light bitterness and heat in the back with a full body, very dry finish, and an assertive carbonation. The malts are a bit messy, lots of barrel and a touch hot.

12-15-2011 16:16:29 | More by cpetrone84
JAXSON

3.38/5  rDev -20.7%

I'm just gonna copy my notes here. I did pick this beer out in a blind tasting though among almost all the other Eclipse variations and some other bottles so I'll hang my hat on that for now. Notes read, "hotter than Elijah Craig. Under attenuated and hot compared to Elijah Craig, but not nearly as bad as Brandy. Some leafy tobacco. 3.4/5." I guess I was kind of drunk, heh.

05-10-2011 01:54:19 | More by JAXSON

Jzmhector

01-29-2012 19:10:35 | More by Jzmhector
hopsbreath

3.53/5  rDev -17.1%

Bomber shared at a tasting hosted by ramnuts. Fellow BA’s ChaseT, black13, MADhombrewer, Witchsbrew, TulipSnifter also helped me drink this. Thanks guys.

A: Medium reddish brown with good clarity, pale brown short lived fizzy head that sticks around a little better than the brandy version but still recedes to a wisp ring, no legs, minimal spotty lacing. 3/5

S: Wonderful vanilla, dusty cocoa, oaky brown liquor. This is where the beer shines the most for me. 4/5

T: Caramel coated bourbon soaked wood. Not much in the end of the char I was half expecting so it’s working for me. There’s more of a milk chocolate flavor here. A little too sweet for my liking but not terribly so. 3.5/5

M: Copy/pasted from my CB Eclipse rating: Low carbonation in big stouts usually works for me but in this particular case the base is just too damn thin. Sticky finish does nothing to help but isn't as gummy as the CB. 3/5

O: I’m not sure I understand the allure of this series. Perhaps the 2009’s I haven’t had are much better than this year’s batches. For the cash, I wouldn’t buy this one again. 3.5/5

04-25-2011 08:19:42 | More by hopsbreath
Beaver13

Colorado

3.6/5  rDev -15.5%

22oz bottle, bottle 1385/2011. Pours dark brown / black with a bit creamy tan head that retains well and laces the glass.

The aroma is oaty chocolate malts with some dark fruit, black licorice and light bourbon. There's some alcohol as well. It's a bit more subdued than expected.

The flavor is sweet sugary (honey?) chocolate malts and dark fruits and some grain that leads to a bitter warming alcohol finish. The mouthfeel is full bodied with smooth carbonation.

Overall, some harsh boozy bitterness early on, but it mellows and becomes pretty well balanced. As it warms up all the way, it becomes a bit boozy again.

04-29-2012 05:44:39 | More by Beaver13
Arbitrator

3.63/5  rDev -14.8%

Re-review. I've had a handful of bottles. I can't stop drinking this beer to save my life. Unfortunately, as I mentioned in my Evan Williams review, the bottles vary due to FiftyFifty contracting out to a mobile bottling operation. They hope to have the problem fixed next year. Still, as someone who has the opportunity to sample multiple bottles and catalogue the variation, I'm uploading my experiences.

Some bottles seem barrel-heavy. The charred oak comes through strongest, with general burnt flavors leading the charge. When the beer warms, the bourbon kind of takes over, but not enough to eliminate the acrid, bitter barrel parts. I'd give these a B- or B.

Other bottles, on the other hand, are mind-blowing. I had two that I would rate A+. Based on those, I'd call the Four Roses the standout of this year's treatments.

Unfortunately, when the bottles cost $25 apiece, I can't simply rate off the best one. I'm averaging my experiences here. On the whole I'd say I'm disappointed by the 2010 Eclipses considering what they cost. I feel they were a huge dropoff from 2009.

~~~

Original comments:

Chilled bottle into a glass. Thanks, Ted.

Note: serve at 60+ F. The Eclipse series, more than other stouts, seems to suffer with chilling.

A: Pours, like the other Eclipses, a dark, clear brown that appears opaque in larger quantities. This seems a tad more carbonated than the others, or at least it exhibits better retention. The tan head retains for a good while as a small cap on the beer, with a few tendrils of lace as I sip.

S: This is more spicy and flowery than the other bourbon in the 2010 treatments (Evan Williams), reminding me of a dark honey. It has a nice vanilla scent to it. The base beer comes through as a chocolatey fudge blast: brownies, cookie dough, caramel. There's a small booze note.

T: The bourbon pickup varies from bottle to bottle. Here, it is not shy, but it integrates well with the base beer. Spicy, floral characteristics meld with caramel and vanilla. Milk chocolate and brownies are rich and tasty. Charred oak is light, seguing into flavors of anise, roast, and smoke. The finish is lightly spicy again, with some heat that delivers a small kick. Retronasal hints of hazelnut. Beautifully integrated and delicious. This is significantly different from (and better than) the other bottle I opened, which had a strong charred barrel flavor to it. Either way, Four Roses is more subtle than other brands of bourbon, and that's reflected here. This particular variety needs to be quite warm to express itself.

M: This is a little more viscous than the other Eclipses, but it's still not that hefty. And when cold, the bourbon (which is a fairly subtle brand) is muted, making for a really empty-feeling beer. It really needs to approach room temp before it hits its stride. Carbonation is very low, nearl still. There is a small warmth to it that imparts a light stinging sensation.

D: I've opened a bottle myself and partaken in a bottle shared by chswimmer (RIP). They were very different. Supposedly the beers were blended this year, but I can't account for the bottle variation here; the swing is pretty severe. That being said, the second bottle of Four Roses was the best of the 4 versions this year...

01-08-2011 20:54:19 | More by Arbitrator
Imperial Eclipse Stout - Four Roses Bourbon from FiftyFifty Brewing Co.