Imperial Eclipse Stout - Four Roses Bourbon - FiftyFifty Brewing Co.

Imperial Eclipse Stout - Four Roses BourbonImperial Eclipse Stout - Four Roses Bourbon

FiftyFifty Brewing Co. visit their website

American Double / Imperial Stout |  11.90% ABV

Availability: Fall

Beer added by: largadeer on 11-14-2010

Red wax identifies the Four Roses version.
Ratings: 499 | Reviews: 141
4.35/5  rDev +1.6%

Bottle courtesy of the always epic largadeer. Thanks, brosef.

A: The pour is viscous and black with a finger of khaki head on it.

S: The roast and char from the barrel come through strong on the initial sniff. Lots of bourbon and vanilla notes follow along with dark roasted coffee and a nice dark chocolate/cocoa powder aroma. There is just a hint of smoke in the background.

T: A rather strong roast up front on the palate as well. Plenty of bourbon and oak notes and a sweet vanilla flavor to round it out. Mild sweetness of molasses and dark chocolate to go with the roast and coffee notes.

M: Medium to full in body with a smooth, creamy carbonation.

O: Although almost all of the variations on this beer are solid, this one is certainly up near the top. Very nice stuff.

4.03/5  rDev -5.8%

Thanks to Geoi for these bottles. 22oz w/ red wax into my Captain Lawrence tulip.

A- The beer pours your typical pitch black stout color, with a tannish color head. The head is healthy, and lingers for quite a while. A light frothy ring retains around the edges of the glass for as long as I drank it.

S- The smell is a rich roasted malt nose, with notes of chocolate and oak. There is a slight smokiness, and some mild booziness. I get a touch of hops and maybe a little bit of bourbon.

T- A rich creamy flavor sweeps across my mouth, hints of oak and bourbon then take over and finish with a smooth aftertaste. I get a little heat and some hops on the back end, it it is blended quite nicely. I get a lot less bourbon flavor in this one than the Evan Williams barrel batch though.

M- It's got one hell of a complex taste, and just dances across the tongue. The beer in general just gets my tastebuds dacing. While I do pefer my barrel aged stouts a litte thicker, the complex flavor makes up for it.

O- Overall an other great Eclipse variation. While I do think I prefer the Evan Williams to this barrel, it certainly is not bad. The barrel aging just isn't as prevalent. Can't wait for 2011 bottles, and to try the Heaven Hill and Brandy varieties.

-GFunk

4.27/5  rDev -0.2%

Bottle picked up for me from the brewery by nerd - thanks dude! Served in a Three Floyds pint glass.

A - A finger of dark tan foam settles to a thin cap and some spotty lace. Dark brown near-black body that reveals a bit more lightness at the fringes.

S - Dark chocolate, smoke, oak, bourbon, dark fruits. It's got that typical Eclipse maple and caramel sweetness, particularly when it warms up. No obvious alcohol.

T - Heavy in oak, with notes of dark chocolate, dark fruits, and some bourbon flavor as well. Minimal roast, but perhaps a bit of espresso bitterness, as well as oak, in the finish.

M - A little thin, a common complaint I have about some Eclipse variants, although not totally out of line for the lower ABV. Medium-low carbonation, and no obvious alcohol. Finishes tannic and fairly dry.

D - Not my favorite variant, but eminently drinkable. Everyone enjoyed this and wished we had more of it to pass around (or less people sharing it). I'm looking forward to my 2011 bottles. A very good barrel-aged stout.

4.3/5  rDev +0.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

Red waxed bottle. Pours a dark black with a little bit of light coming through at the edges. A one finger light chocolate head has good retention and leaves a large amount of lacing on the glass. The aroma is big vanilla, cocoa, bourbon, light roastiness, light alcohol, a little coconut, and a little honey. The taste is sweet cocoa, vanilla, and some light bourbon. The finish is a little bitter with some dark chocolate. Medium-light body. Low carbonation. Great beer. I wish it had a slightly fuller mouthfeel, but it is still phenomenal.

4.59/5  rDev +7.2%

essentially black as an abyss with no light coming through on Two fingers worth of brown, frothy head then gradually formed and pushed just out over the lip of my snifter.

warm vanilla notes waft through the air and perk up my senses. I find that rich aroma comforting and soothing and a sign that it stayed in the barrel just the right amount of time. Going in closer and letting it reach its zenith at room temperature reveals a complex mixture of chocolate, hints of tobacco and leather, even the finest touches of coffee all coming together and creating a symphony of aroma.
Vanilla and bourbon notes hit first. Smooth and silky feel here, really very nicely done. It melts seamlessly and effortlessly into a spinning cauldron of coffee and chocolate that just reeks of woody tones and vanilla underpinnings. Warming really starts to bring this out now. finish belongs to the barrel as the sweet, balanced flavor leaves its mark and fades off into the night.

4.46/5  rDev +4.2%

A head that cascades from one finger to about two and a half sits pretty on a pitch black body wonderful lacing and retention (just like all the rest of the BA Eclipse beers). Retention and lacing are perfect.

Smells of chocolate, perfume-y alcohol, oak, and the typical aromas of a fine strong bourbon (toffee, oak, chocolate, ripe fruit).

Maybe the bourboniest of the Eclipses (except for the Jack Daniels... maybe). Huge bourbon notes, accompanied by vanilla, some ripe dark fruits (subtle though), dark chocolate, vanilla, and woody notes are quite strong and in your face, yum!

More dry and alcoholic tasting than most of the rest of the series. Tannins are much more prevalent as well. Still the subtle carbonation and semi restrained thickness of the body make it surprisingly quaffable. The finish draws out as long as you want until you take the next sip.

Tannic, oaky, heavy, complex, elegant. Barrel aged beer lovers, this is one of the most barrel heavy beers I have ever tried. A true delight. This is my last bottle, so don't ask me for any, but I admonish you to seek it out.

4.48/5  rDev +4.7%

Sampled at the Batch 3 Rosso release as part of an Eclipse tasting; huge thanks to Thorpe429, ChrisPro, callmemickey, rlmartin, corey70, and starrdogg for making this possible!

A: Black body with brown highlights under a half-inch head of fine brown foam. Nice retention and lacing. The best-looking of the Eclipses.

S: Really smooth, really clean attack of bourbon and vanilla, without much else. Charred oak really asserts itself on the tail end. Simple and wonderful.

T: Sharp, intense wave of bourbon, alcohol, oak, and vanillla. Booze and coffee on the finish. Solid.

M: Sooth medium body, light carbonation.

O: This was probably the most forgettable of the various Eclipses (although the EW comes close), but it was still delicious. Nothing really stood out, but the up-front bourbon was entirely pleasant and of course the base stout was hugely tasty.

Cheers!

3.38/5  rDev -21%

I'm just gonna copy my notes here. I did pick this beer out in a blind tasting though among almost all the other Eclipse variations and some other bottles so I'll hang my hat on that for now. Notes read, "hotter than Elijah Craig. Under attenuated and hot compared to Elijah Craig, but not nearly as bad as Brandy. Some leafy tobacco. 3.4/5." I guess I was kind of drunk, heh.

4.14/5  rDev -3.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

On tap at the Eclipse release party. Pours black, reddish brown head to this one, better than the other varieties I thought. Smell was unremarkable, not necessarily the biggest fan of 4 roses bourbon.

Good taste, as expected, bourbon, oak, good roast feel. Very similar to the EW version. Charred feel to the beer. Tiny amount of vanilla. Creamy, very easy to drink, not an alcohol bomb by any means. Goes with coffee chocolates that they had out for sampling. Dark chocolate comes out more and more the longer you sip on it.

4.47/5  rDev +4.4%

C: Black
H: Dark Black
N: Chocolate, Bourbon, Vanilla

Well this is the second Imperial Eclipse Stout that I have drank and reviewed for the blog. The Four Roses was dramatically different from the Elijah Craig barrel treatment. The body was thinner, and the flavor was a little weaker. While the Four Roses had a stronger bourbon flavor to it, it did not seem nearly as balanced as the E. Craig.
All this said the beer is still amazing but it is not nearly as good as the Elijah Craig barrel aged. I would still attempt to grab another bottle of either

3.54/5  rDev -17.3%

Bomber shared at a tasting hosted by ramnuts. Fellow BA’s ChaseT, black13, MADhombrewer, Witchsbrew, TulipSnifter also helped me drink this. Thanks guys.

A: Medium reddish brown with good clarity, pale brown short lived fizzy head that sticks around a little better than the brandy version but still recedes to a wisp ring, no legs, minimal spotty lacing. 3/5

S: Wonderful vanilla, dusty cocoa, oaky brown liquor. This is where the beer shines the most for me. 4/5

T: Caramel coated bourbon soaked wood. Not much in the end of the char I was half expecting so it’s working for me. There’s more of a milk chocolate flavor here. A little too sweet for my liking but not terribly so. 3.5/5

M: Copy/pasted from my CB Eclipse rating: Low carbonation in big stouts usually works for me but in this particular case the base is just too damn thin. Sticky finish does nothing to help but isn't as gummy as the CB. 3/5

O: I’m not sure I understand the allure of this series. Perhaps the 2009’s I haven’t had are much better than this year’s batches. For the cash, I wouldn’t buy this one again. 3.5/5

4.28/5  rDev 0%

Ah, my first taste of the 2010 Eclipses. I've been hugely impressed by the various incarnations of this beer that I've been fortunate enough to try, and I'm curious to try the new versions. Bottle #390

Pouring the typical very dark brown with reddish brown highlights, there's a dense, brown head that recedes to a disk, leaving some lace on my Duvel Green tulip. The nose has probably the biggest oak presence that I've encountered from these beers, woody and tannic. One of those few beers where the oak intensity comes across as spicy in addition to vanilla-like, there's a touch of ashy aromas too. Dominating the sweeter, milder stout base, some chocolate and cream are still noticeable though. And I guess I have to add that bourbon is present as well. As Arbitrator notes in his review, serving this beer too cold has a larger negative impact than you might expect. Warming this up to ~65F really brought out the chocolate and fudge behind the bourbon and oak, and some licorice, which is surprising 'cos this isn't an attribute of any of the other Eclipses I've tried.

The palate is significantly more complex than the nose. Bourbon is present up front with brown sugar and booze, along with vanilla and oak. Chocolate, fudge and cookie dough are present on the mid-palate, though this isn't as decadent as other editions (specifically the superlative Elijah Craig or Pappy versions). None of the oak harshness I picked out on the nose is present here. Medium-light in body with soft, creamy carbonation, this feels really good on the palate. Strangely, letting this breathe does wonders to the palate, bringing out the chocolate more. The finish is excellent, with the oak tannins and licorice (where did that come from?!) lending just enough bitterness to balance the sweetness, and a sufficient booze character to keep you warm. An excellent effort, though, if I had to guess, I got one of the oakier bottles here.

4.5/5  rDev +5.1%

Review 450. Cheers!

Bought at Hamilton's in San Diego. 2010 vintage, bottle number 777.

Appearance - Pours into a supplied tulip with a dark viscosity. About a finger of mocha colored head is achieved with a moderate pour. The head dissipates relatively slowly leaving nice looking lacing on the sides of the glass.

Smell - Holy cow, this smells amazing. Great bourbon scent, oak and heavy vanilla. Roasted malts and chocolate, and more vanilla.

Taste - The taste begins as expected, with some fantastic oaky vanilla flavors up front. Fades to chocolate brownie, fudge, and hazelnut. Charred malts and hints of alcohol finish it up. This tastes fantastic.

Mouthfeel - Moderate mouthfeel, lower carbonation, chewy and creamy.

Drinkability - Quite so. I shared this with another patron at the bar to give him a taste, but I probably could have put this down completely by myself. Quite good and am very thankful I was able to try this (I have three other versions of this and was not able to get this one). A great beer.

4.5/5  rDev +5.1%

3/19/2011

Big thanks to largadeer for sending this bottle my way. 2010 vintage poured into a snifter.

A: Pours pretty much black, but the head is quite impressive. It rises two inches above the liquid and exhibits remarkable retention. Lacing appears in thick curtains on the sides of my snifter. Looks fantastic, especially for a barrel aged beer.

S: A blend of dark and milk chocolates and an evident earthy hop note. Light notes of caramel and cookie dough. There's a damp wood profile that is pretty unique that blends with vanilla and a well integrated bourbon character. Brown sugar is tame, and there's the faintest note of coffee. Roasted malt is restrained. On the whole, the aroma gives the impression of bourbonic oaken chocolate.

T: More aggressive than the nose suggested, but that's not really a bad thing. Tannic and moderately roasted, with a very drying oak profile. Bourbon is well integrated like it was in the nose. Dark bittersweet chocolate is pronounced, but there are some milk chocolate notes in there as well. Some cookie dough is apparent. The beer displays an upper moderate sweetness with an unabashed booziness that seems to fit. The finish is dry, with big chocolate and bourbon notes.

M: Lower full body with a moderate level of carbonation. The mouthfeel is chewy, silky, sticky, tannic, and dry. Alcohol warming is substantial.

Overall: A very nice addition to the barrel aged Eclipse series. I know there's been a significant amount of bottle variation with the 2010 batches, but this particular bottle was really great. Highly recommended.

4.22/5  rDev -1.4%

First time trying this beer, even though I have two bottles of the Evan Williams in the cellar.

Thanks to Mrbubbler for bringing this over.

Red Wax dipped bottle, 22oz bomber poured into a Bruery tulip glass.

The beer pours a dark, deep, mocha black, with a chocolate brown hue at the edges. A tiny 1/10 of an inch of head, that was more of bubble floating on top, so no real lacing as a result.

I actually picked up honey first and foremost on the aroma. But the bourbon notes definitely come through strong as well. Layers of roasted oak, chocolate, vanilla, and a little booze.

The honey gave the backbone for me in the taste, followed by roasted chocolate notes up front. In the middle, the oak and vanilla come through a bit, bound by the bourbon notes, which is well blended in with all of these flavors, and the alcohol does not come off too much, although these days 9.5% is not as high as a lot of Barrel Aged Imperial stouts.

Mouth feel was smooth, heavy, and rich. Some warming from the alcohol, and just subtle carbonation.

Overall, more than anything I'm curious what the subtle or perhaps not so subtle differences will be when I get the chance to try some of the other versions. It is up there with some of the best barrel aged Imperial Stouts though, no doubt.

4.32/5  rDev +0.9%

I think Sean brought this to our Fedor beat-down party.

A - Black beer with a good-looking brown head that dissipated after a short time and left some sparce and thin lacing on the sides.

S - Chocolate, roasted malts. A pleasant bourbon smell that is not very harsh with mild oak, toffee, and a little vanilla. Smells very good.

T - Had a differnce of opinions on this one, but I liked the taste of this better than the Evan Williams which we had side-by-side. Good chocolate and vanilla, bourbon is present but not hot. Not too woody, this is a very well balanced and slightly sweeter. Taste is very good.

M - A little thinner than I like, but nice body and mellow carbonation.

D - Pretty drinkable and a great beer at 9.5%, might be my favorite of this year's Eclipse releases.

3.93/5  rDev -8.2%

Vintage 2010 Bottle #463. Shared with nhindian! From notes.

A: Opaque to the max. Dark brown with a tan head. Decent retention, which laces down the side of my tulip glass nicely.

S: Oak and vanilla on the smell. Chocolately hints as well as a bit of coffee. Bourbon is present, but not overwhelming.

T: Really smooth taste. Very complex as well. Bourbon oakiness up front. Chocolate in the middle. Huge coffee aftertaste at the end. Truly amazing how all three phases of the beer are so pronounced and the bourbon is integrated so well. Nothing but a hint of alcohol.

MF: Dark, heavy, creamy, wonderful.

D: Very good, bourbon and alcohol don't overpower you at all. Instantly became a favorite.

I enjoyed this a second time at a tasting that included 5 Eclipse variations: Elijah Craig 12 and 18, Four Roses, Heaven Hill Rittenhouse Rye, and Brewmaster's Grand Cru.

2011 Vintage Bottle #489. $25 for a 22oz bottle.

A: All of them pretty much poured the same. Finger or two of brown to light brown head. The color is black with noticeable bubbles clinging to the sides of the glass. This one specifically had the best head.

S: Hardly any bourbon on the aroma surprisingly. The focus here is roast, charred malts, and chocolate. Very different from the other bourbons. I really wish FiftyFifty would release the base beer for these, so we could see what the barrel treatment is doing to it.

T: Much more barrel aged notes on the taste as it actually seems to be the focus. Complete 180 from the aroma. This is the oakiest of the 5 probably. The bourbon treatment seems to be a bit intrusive. Too boozy and not as balanced.

MF: Lighter body overall than I expected, and lower than average carbonation. Big booziness on all of them, with a warming alcohol feeling to finish. The dryness on the palate varies with the different bourbons. This one was even lighter than the average, very boozy and dry.

O: Sort of disapointing, especially considering I loved it when I had it before. Probably would be great alone, but just didn't stack up well to the other variations. This came in last place.

The rating above comes from an average of what I thought of the two different bottles.

4.43/5  rDev +3.5%

Poured into a snifter from bottle #631. 2010 Vintage.
Pours a nice, solid black. The initial carbonation produces an inch and a half of dark tan head. The lace is spotted but everywhere (and long lasting.)
The smell is light and smooth. Starts with coffee, burnt chocolate and vanilla. The finish is earthy with a bit of bourbon, but not too much.
The taste is pretty balanced between roasted malt, earthy hops and oak bourbon barrel. Swiss Miss hot cocoa, slight plum, a bit of expresso, slight char, oak, whiskey, very complex. I served it at about 45 so it warmed quickly and let out a lot of flavor. Beats Evan Williams by a bit. Smooth and silky going down, nice moderate body.
I love this brew. Very expensive but worth buying a bottle. I grabbed one each of the Evan Williams, 4 Roses and Heaven Hill 2009. The Heaven Hill is still aging (too expensive not to) but so far this was my favorite.

4.52/5  rDev +5.6%

From 02/20/11 notes. Brought this to try side by side with the 2010 vintage of the Evan Williams Eclipse. 2010 vintage, bottle 639

a - Pours a jet black color with one inch of thick tan head and light carbonation evident. Looks exactly the same as the EW version.

s - Smells of bourbon, oak, roasted malts, chocolate, figs, dark fruits, sweet fruit, and caramel malts. I thought the Four Roses version smelled a lot sweeter than the EW version, which I personally preferred.

t - Tastes of bourbon, oak, roasted malts, chocolate, vanilla, coffee, and dark fruit.

m - Medium to full body and low carbonation, thick and smooth. very nice.

d - Overall I thought this was another great stout. Very close to the Evan Willaism version in look and feel. I preferred the smell of the Four Roses to that of EW, but the taste of EW to that of the Four Roses. Either way, both stouts were outstanding and I'd love to get more of them.

4.15/5  rDev -3%

Thanks to FiftyFifty for allowing us out-of-staters to buy the Eclipse brews. After my first one last year, I was gut-hooked. 22 oz. bomber split with my wife. Bottle 995.

First, though, I'd like to know how much stock the owners of FiftyFifty have in the local wax shop. Holy crap. It's risking life & thumb to get the bloody 3/4 inch of wax off the bottle to access the nectar inside. Pour is black with crimson creeping along the edges. Smell is like every other Eclipse, with a different note of bourbon & those fantastic malts.

Four Roses treads in the footsteps of high expectations & doesn't disappoint. Heavier on the char than others in the series, the roast cuts significantly into the bourbon characteristics, though neither puts a bigger thumb on the scale. Nicely balanced. Huge malts surge behind, with damp cocoa, vanilla, & a drying wind of oak on the back-end. A true moisture-sucker in the ending; tinder-dry wood mixing with pure, heady vanilla. The lingering aftertaste is on the border between greatness & perfection.

Another excellent Eclipse. I would really like to try the base beer on its own; I am wondering if that is the secret ingredient, or the good folks at FiftyFifty, besides being gracious, just know their way around barrels like John Hughes knew a good script. I have a couple more variations to try. Can't wait.

4.13/5  rDev -3.5%

smoke, bacon, toast, bitter, malt backbone

beer aged in four roses single barrel (10 yr old) for 225 days. 10% abv aged at 38 degrees fahrenheit

these beers disappear off the shelves if you can find them outside of the brewery

sampled this at the bistro west coast barrel aged beer festival november 13, 2010

4.3/5  rDev +0.5%

To be honest I am copying my review from the Evan Williams barrel version. They were very similar, it would be difficult to tell the two apart. Both were excellent.

Drank it at FiftyFifty event at the Bloodhound in SF. Not actually sure if it was on tap or from a bottle.

Pitch black. Almost no head.

Aroma was lightly roasted and chocolately.

Flavor was sweet, but not overly sweet, primarily of milk chocolate, with a mild roasted character. Little to no bittnerness. Nice balance of oak and bourbon character with the sweet chocolate gives it depth and roundness.

Low carbonation.

Overall very drinkable and enjoyable. Personally its how I like a stout.

4.47/5  rDev +4.4%

50/50 Eclipse aged in Four Roses is a really great bourbon barrel aged imperial stout. These beers are often hit and miss for me, but I think this is a really great rendition of the style that hits the nail right on the head. The only beer that I have had that has the balance of bourbon and stout flavors is Black Ops. The bourbon barrel aging contributes a warm, earthiness in the form of vanilla, oak, burnt caramel, while the stout has plenty of rich coffee, bitter chocolate and toasted malt, rounded molasses and maple sweetness. The beer was very smooth and adequately carbonated. Teh alcohol is definitely present, but it isn't blaring or hot just warm in the throat on the swallow. This was very tasty and I'd love to have again, but it's not exactly the easiest to get a hold of.

Thanks Dan for sharing.

4.67/5  rDev +9.1%

22oz bottle split with russwbeck and poured into a Victory tulip. Bottle provided by jamdugan, thanks Jim!

Bottle #463.

A - This beer has a similar appearance to many other darker stouts out there - completely opaque, but this head really rounds out and softens this beer. About a 1.5-finger head rests carefully on top of the beer, smooth and creamy yet still many tunnels and caverns in it. The head has pretty good retention as well, and as the beer dissipates, a thin film of lacing covers most of the glass.

S - The smell is incredibly well-balanced. The bourbon is noticeable but not overwhelming in the slightest. A rich bouquet of sweet vanilla, oak, coffee, and chocolate intertwine with each other and keep each other in check while adding to its deep complexity. I was expecting more of a bourbon bomb but this is incredibly well-rounded.

T - As in the nose, the taste is so balanced by everything going on here. The bourbon is really integrated perfectly here, and plays precariously between a soft warming malt character that helps introduce some bittersweet chocolate. Additionally, the effect of the barrel does wonders in imparting an oak woodiness and vanilla note that accelerates this beer past the norm. Each characteristic is boldly defined, but meld fantastically about midway through and the final blend of flavors is euphoric. Each sip, each temperature change brings out something new, especially in the finish where a nice kick of honey injects a bit of sweetness into the bitter coffee, chocolate, slightly hoppy finish. Speaking of the finish, the chocolate just explodes into a smooth wave of fudge that makes this beer addicting. Slight alcohol in the finish, but overall incredibly complex and uses the bourbon as another level of complexity rather than having it assault the palate.

M - The mouthfeel is medium bodied with moderate to low carbonation. Coats the mouth thickly and the long finish lingers forever on the palate. The head and barrel helps soften this a bit.

D - Drinkability is insanely high. Easily one of the smoothest drinking and tastiest bourbon aged stouts I've had. It's complex and perfectly blended between all the flavors. Not one characteristic overwhelms the others and each has their time in the spotlight. If possible I would like to get my hands on many more of this beer.

4.28/5  rDev 0%

a huge thanks to john for opening this bottle at a recent tasting

This beer pours black with a mocha colored head that leaves some lacing. the smell is sweet bourbon, light oak, vanilla and dark roasted grains. the taste is very similar to the smell. the mouthfeel is medium to full boddied, with decent carbonation. the beer has good drinkablitly

Imperial Eclipse Stout - Four Roses Bourbon from FiftyFifty Brewing Co.