Imperial Eclipse Stout - Evan Williams Bourbon - FiftyFifty Brewing Co.

Imperial Eclipse Stout - Evan Williams BourbonImperial Eclipse Stout - Evan Williams Bourbon

FiftyFifty Brewing Co. visit their website

American Double / Imperial Stout |  11.90% ABV

Availability: Fall

Beer added by: largadeer on 12-02-2010

Ratings: 554 | Reviews: 177

This beer pours an obsidian black color with a brown, thin but fluffy head. The head fades slowly, leaving very little lace.

This beer smells less aggressive than I was expecting. I detect, of course, bourbon. But I also detect raisins, vanilla, and chocolate.

This beer tastes like it smells. A lot more mild than I would expect. Raisins, chocolate, bourbon, dates, and vanilla all mix in wonderfully. It has a sweet malty backbone to it as well. This beer tastes amazing!

This beer is very thich and full bodied. The alcohol is present in the finish. It warms slightly on the way down. It leaves an oaky bourbon aftertaste.

This beer would not make a good session beer. It is a sipper for sure.

Overall: I think this is the best bourbon aged beer I have ever had. It is just amazing. I like how it isnt overly aggressive.

Bottle # 2131 of the 2010 vintage

Reviewed from notes on 1/10/11:

A: Pours jet black with a very thin layer of khaki colored head.

S: Holy cow. A beautiful bourbon smell wafts into my nose, I love that smell. Vanilla and oak are also present too.

T: My taste buds just died and went to beer heaven. Bourbon and oak taste dominate but in a way that makes you want to drink more. The roasted malts are there but definitely play second fiddle to the bourbon and oak.

M: It is very creamy and smooth. Out of this world.

D: This is the first beer I've given a perfect score to. I drank the 22oz by myself and felt a little guilty for not sharing. I wish I had another one.

I can't see, smell taste or feel anything remotely average about this beer. it is simply exceptional. it doesn't hurt, of course, that I love imperial stout and whiskey. a combination made in so called heaven.

the 2010 vintage with a black wax top.

appears to have very little carbonation. a very thin head of medium sized bubbles rings the glass at the vertex of the beer and glass. its dark black, almost pitch black save for a relatively amber transplant edge.

smells strongly of bourbon. delicious. taste is heavy roasted malts, chocolate, coffee, honey and boozy licorice. feels great in my mouth, very sippable.

4.96/5  rDev +14.5%

no head on first pour, but then, my first pour is always soft. I have this paranoia that a vigorous pour at first releases too much flavor into the atmosphere. second pour, if the first isn't too volatile, can be a bit more rambunctious...
ultra cool black wax, bitchin' bottle! maybe my 6th or 7th Eclipse since finding them last November.
very black pour, nice and sweet stout/bourbon aroma. dang I love these brews' aromas...!!!! saving the Rittenhouse Rye for last!! sweet and boozy smell, for sure!
taste is thick, but viscosity is thinner. much thinner than the base Totality. I like that this is thinner- it really enhances the flavor. each one is a little different, attributable to the barrel in which it matured, and this one is a little different than the others. nothing is really dominating, but getting tastes of oak, chocolate, (tiny) coffee, vanilla, bourbon (for sure!). and licorice! definitely some licorice! at the end. maybe some anise?
one of THE all time favorites for me, I absolutely LOVE this stuff. why is it so superior to all the others on any given day, any given time? Totality is not this good. nor is the rest of their brews which I have tried (admittedly, not many). but each one has been slightly different, yet always superior to all the others. I just tried my first Abyss yesterday-doesn't even come close!
but alas, like another BA reviewer before me, I wish these were not so pricey. this one was $32 and as much as i'd agree it were worth that (if I made a better wage!) I would love to see this a little less expensive. someone else mentioned they saw it on the shelf for $25 in San Francisco? DEAL!!! i'll take 'em ALL DAY LONG at $25...
resume review: sweet and smooth. almost perfect. a little syrup-y. but all around beautiful. grab one if you have the opportunity, but leave some for me!

4.94/5  rDev +14.1%

Huge thanks to CoastieSimon for the share, and to hopsbreath for sending it to him in the first place. This beer is the stunner of a pretty damn good tasting. It pours an inky, oily black hue and is capped with a wispy mocha head. The nose instantly betrays this as a world-class brew. The aroma offers exceptionally decadent notes of fudge, toasted coconut, toffee, caramel, vanilla, buttery oak, cafe mocha and 1000% pure deliciousness. The taste adds an additional layer of decadence, with boozy notes of maple and burnt sugar richly evident. The feel is absolutely silky-smooth, and is completely enhancing. This is just about as good as a beer gets.

4.89/5  rDev +12.9%

Once again, many thanks to the folks at FiftyFifty for allowing us out-of-staters to purchase some of their fine brews.

Although I have a quibble: third time in a row, while engaged in a titantic struggle with 3" of wax, I've gouged myself hard enough to draw blood. Yikes! Definitely a hazard to health & hearth to get one of these bad-boys open. Bottle #232, popped open in a depressing March downpour that's due to turn to snow within a few hours. Spring in Minnesota!

Pours coal-dust black, split into two Darkness snifters for the wife & I. Smell is pure, heart-stopping perfection; a burst puffs outwards when I bludgeon wax & cap into submission, & I know immediately that this is going to be epic. Bourbon, chocolate, vanilla, malts. Beautiful.

Evan Williams Eclipse is close to the perfect crime against beer & barrels. High-end bourbon, flawless Noka chocolates, vanilla tended by a thousand paradise-bound virgins, wild oakiness, & tons of other things going on underneath, subtle antics my tongue can't even comprehend. After the taste charge, a warm, almost harsh wave of alcohol & Evan washes the subtleties away. The effect is almost like a smoothed-out, well-rounded bourbon, thought the overall taste is nothing like that. Perhaps I have ceased making sense.

Well, hell, this is one excellent beer. The only better in the series thus far was the '09 Heaven Hill, which sidled up hard to perfection. This one isn't far off either. Amazing beer; sad to only have one more. I'd like to offer FiftyFifty brewing space in my basement if they ever need an outpost in Minnesota.

4.82/5  rDev +11.3%

Served from a 22oz bottle into my 2012 Vertical Epic glass.

A- Very dark, black color with a silky smooth, very thin layer of caramel colored head. Spotty lacing left on glass. (Recedes as you sip the glass lower)

S- Instantly get the bourbon and vanilla notes. After some "twirling" I could pick out some coffee, but as I said, bourbon and vanilla dominate the aroma.

T- Sweet Jesus. Going right along with the smell, bourbon and vanilla sweetness instantly hit at the front. Swish it around a bit and I could definitely taste chocolate, and a bit of coffee and caramel midway through. The beer finishes with the typical roasty malts that I've come to love, and expect from a good stout. (There are even some oak-like aftertastes that linger between sips)

M- Smooth as butter, with a tiny bubbly sensation that hits the tip of the tongue then fades away as you sip. No burn or intensity from the 9.5% ABV.

O- Out of the 2012 series Eclipse I have had so far, (Elijah, Fitzgerald, and Williams,) this one takes the cake. I would nearly give it a 5, but I have yet to have a beer that was unique and perfect in every sense. The aroma is awesome, and you can taste all, if not more of the scents in this beer. If you are a fan of barrel aged beers, buy two. One to enjoy now, and one to hold on to just in case.)

4.78/5  rDev +10.4%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 5

I haven't tried that many Eclipse treatments yet (this is my second, after Java Coffee), so I can't compare this to the other variants, but this is quite simply one of the best BA stouts I've ever had. So smooth I could die. Purchased from Nathaniel Square Corner Store in Rochester. Black wax.

It pours a deep, dark black, basically opaque. The head rises mightily, about 3 fingers of dark mocha foam. The lacing is nice, stays on the glass the whole way down.

Smells incredible. Smooth bourbon, oak, vanilla, a bit of chocolate. Left my nose in this one for a while.

The taste blows the smell away though. Tastes of cocoa powder, marshmallow, vanilla, smooth, sweet bourbon, and a mild oakiness make love to my taste buds. None of the mentioned flavors are intense or harsh, they subtly hit my tongue in smooth waves. Drinks much easier than the ABV suggests (9.5%)

The mouthfeel is appropriately full, creamy, and a bit chewy.

One of the best. These Evan Williams barrels worked wonders. Holy shit. Worth the money.

4.72/5  rDev +9%

2010 batch / bottle #115
Poured from a 22 into a snifter.

Appears black with some brownish purple that shines through held up to the light. A nice thin head that fades off pretty quickly.

Smells boozy with some chocolate and vanilla in there as well. As it warms smells even more just like bourbon.

Tastes like roasted malts and sweet chocolate. The bourbon really shines through as well with a light oak presence.

Mouthfeel is smooth creamy sweet with some alcohol heat.

Overall very drinkable. A pretty full bodied beer with a strong bourbon taste that blend perfectly with the beer. I would drink as much of this as I could get my hands on or afford.

4.71/5  rDev +8.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

2013 vintage

Appearance: Pours dark as death with 1 finger of prominent mocha head that all but collars after a few minutes.

Smell: Intertwined vanilla and graham cracker are really prominent up-front. A nice chocolate element underneath it all says hello, with some oaky bourbon to boot. There is a big and sweet roasted malt element that refuses to be ignored as well as big dark fruit. Really good. It almost smells like a freshly baked cookie.

Taste: I was hoping that this would match up to the smell, and it totally does. Sweet, oaky vanilla begins it all, with a graham cracker sweetness providing a yang to the vanilla's yin. Underneath that, there is almost an element of cherry juice, really unique. In the middle, the roasted malt that rears its head is just so perfectly sweet, and the aftertaste is just so pleasant; that of graham cracker and licorice. The finish is quite dry. This beer is a pleasure to drink, and masterfully hides the huge abv.

Mouthfeel: A really great balance between body, stickiness and carbonation. This is medium bodied, but there is above average carbonation for a stout this big, and it really coats the mouth aggressively.

Overall: This beer really knocked my socks off, a pleasant surprise. Not much that I can take points off for here. It would certainly be nice to try the Pappy version of this. Really well done.

4.69/5  rDev +8.3%

Big thanks to Tripphop for sharing! Bottle # 848 black wax, 2010 bottle.

Poured into a snifter, this brew appears a dark brown color with clarity around the edges and through the body when held to the light. A brown frothy cap of foam forms and recedes hanging around the edges of the glass.

The smells of this brew includes sweet vanilla tones from barrel aging along with coconut and chocolate malt. Spicy alcohol is evident that comes across a little tangy. Everything about the way this beer smells is amazing and pleasant. If I was to brew a stout and barrel age it, this is exactly how I would want it to smell. The oaked character in this brew is brilliant. The vanilla seemingly makes the chocolate scent even better.

The taste of this brew includes toasty coconut and a creamy vanilla smoothness. Pleasant accented alcohol that increases with a fusel taste as it warms. The whiskey imparts a light twang to the alcohol character that is enjoyable. The roast of the grain imparts quite a smooth chocolate flavor to this brew and never really turns to bitterness. It maintains a smoothness and high drinkability. While the alcohol is noticeable, it is exceptionally smooth and I never once for a minute would have guessed it was more than 9%.

This is a medium bodied brew, silky smooth feel and is modestly carbonated. To say that this brew is "super drinkable" is a bit of an understatement. It is exceptional and absolutely worth the hype. Having a chance to partake in this was very bitter sweet, I want a chance to try more of this in the worst way.

4.65/5  rDev +7.4%

Bottle 264

Appearance: Pours jet black with and tannish foam, along with a nice foam and some light lacing.

S: Sweet Oak and Bourbon, a nice honey malt, along with some graham cracker

T: Sweet bourbon, sweet oak, honey, graham cracker, some dark fruit, and some nice dark chocolate to finish.

M: The mouthfeel is nice with some light carbonation and a nice creaminess to it.

O: Overall, by far one of the best Eclipses I have had! I was lucky enough to try this at the 2010 prerelease party, and since then it has really turned into something amazing! I cannot believe how it has aged into such an amazing beer. I am absolutely amazed by how everything comes together in a really well-balanced packaged; you get the taste of the Totality( the base for Eclipse), with its sweet honey and dark chocolate, coffee characteristics, along with the sweet bourbon and sweet oakiness from the barrel. Everything comes together perfectly.

4.63/5  rDev +6.9%

Poured from bottle #2129 into a snifter. Pours out thick and black with brown along the very edges when held to the light. The head is small (given the age and ABV, acceptable) and it leaves little dots of lace behind.

The smell is burnt coffee, chocolate and straight whisky with some earth backing it.

The taste has a chocolate bourbon front, very smooth, not too much fire. Though it's thick, it isn't too sticky. Very nice burnt malt middle with some honey to smooth it out. The finish has some earth and oak, but the oak doesn't dry it out too much.

This one is pretty damn good. I couldn't believe that I found it on the main stretch of Haight with ten bottles behind it. Very very good barrel aged stout. So are the rest so if you find one, GRAB IT.

4.62/5  rDev +6.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

This bottle came to me thanks to largadeer and westcoastbeerlvr, who transported it from the brewery to the possession of nickd717. So for this bottle I really have to thank nickd717. He is the man.

Pours pretty much jet black in color with a lasting one-finger tan head.

The aroma is amazing. Incredible whiskey aroma with -bals and chocolate and coffee on the background. Just heavenly shit.

The flavor is just a slight letdown i.e. phenomenal. Coffee, rich dark chocolate, roast, toffee, and an amazing -bal flavor of oak and vanilla.

Amazingly smooth on the mouthfeel with full body and soft carbonation. Just a tiny bit boozy.

Shit dogg, they did it again. Eclipse is ridiculous. Almost a perfect RIS, and probably will only get better with age.

4.61/5  rDev +6.5%

22 oz 2010 black wax bottle #1372. Poured into a snifter.

Pours a mildly thin for the style mocha black with a short lived creamy tan head. Short retention and minimal lacing, the weakest part of the beer.

Aroma packs an immediate bourbon punch and is balanced by rich vanilla and milk chocolate. Molasses, raisins, brown sugar and caramel with very little roast, burnt or hop aromas. Non-existent alcohol and the sweetness is very pleasant and smooth.

Flavor is similarly smooth and balanced with surprisingly more of a milk chocolate, vanilla and molasses presence than in the nose. Bourbon is still present, particularly in the finish, but never harsh. Warming throughout, yet the balance between the barrel and base beer is remarkable.

Mouthfeel is slightly thinner than hoped for, medium thick with light carbonation; slightly milky in character. I don't feel like this detracts from my enjoyment of the beer, but for the style would have expected something a little more robust.

I'll revisit this review as I try the other 2010 versions, but this new treatment is living up to my expectations from last years.

4.6/5  rDev +6.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

Black wax bomber #808 poured into a pair of Bruery
tulips with fellow BA hobojon.

Appearance: Black with dark brown clear edges. Nice toasty foam cap sits atop the beer persistently. Looks mighty tasty to me.

Aroma: Sweet and smooth. Booze. So mellow. Vanilla and milk chocolate. Candy like, but not overly sweet.

Taste: So delicious! Smooth. Sweet, but in the best way I can ever recall tasting in a beer. Bourbon and the hotness that accompanies it, but not overbearing. Smallest hint of roast. I prefer a lesser roast intensity so this works well for me. Almost
an Almond Joy thing going on with the chocolate, vanilla, coconut and amaretto notes I am getting.

Mouthfeel: Not too chewy or viscous, medium low carbonation, and I can really appreciate these aspects of
the beer. Body is perfect for this beer.

Drinkability: I could sip and smell this bad boy all day! The (relatively) low alcohol and lighter body combined with the sheer deliciousness make for very high marks here.

I am curious about how this will age. There is some alcohol burn that could stand to mellow, but in almost
every other aspect this guy seems aged to perfection. Damn good beer, can't wait to open my other variations on this beer.

4.6/5  rDev +6.2%

From 02/20/11 notes. Shared by Desaparecido; thanks Ed! 2010 vintage, bottle 1434. Tried side by side with the 2010 vintage of Four Roses.

a - Pours a jet black color with one inch of thick tan head and light carbonation evident. Looks exactly the same as the Four Roses version, and looks amazing.

s - Smells of bourbon, oak, alcohol, roasted malts, chocolate, light coffee, and light caramel malts. I thought the EW version had a lot more alcohol in the smell than the 4 Roses version; I preferred 4 Roses here.

t - Taste is amazing. Tastes of sweet dark fruits, bourbon, oak, roasted malts, vanilla, chocolate, and light caramel. I found the taste a lot better than the 4 Roses version.

m - Medium to full body and low carbonation, thick and smooth. Very nice and not too hot.

d - Overall I thought this was an amazing stout. It looked and had the same mouthfeel as the Four Roses version, and while I enjoyed the smell of the Four Roses better, I thought the taste of this one got the edge. Either way, both are great stouts that I would love to try again.

4.59/5  rDev +6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

Black Wax Top poured into a snifter. 2013 vintage - bottle run # 2.

A - heavy jet black with some mocha head that hangs around

S - lots of bourbon, oak, vanilla, some chocolate roast. Smells rather delicious.

T - more bourbon and vanilla but the whiskey is not overpowering. Reminds me of BCBS in a way but not over the top with the bourbon. There's some great marshmallow flavor in there along with some slight berries which really balance it out.

M - moderate with a fair amount of carb sting but not too bad and certainly not too hot on the alcohol either.

O - Great BA imperial stout. It has achieved the much sought after integral equilibrium of bourbon and stout.

Bottle into Bruery Tulip
Split a bottle with FosterJM

A: Jet black with a decent little head that fades quickly into an almost non-existant ring of small bubbles.

S: AMAZING. Vanilla, bourbon, chocolate, just everything I love in a beer. Sweet notes of ice cream and more vanilla mixed with bourbon. A great smelling beer for sure

T: Follows the nose well, a fantastic combination of vanilla, bourbon and sweet chocolate. The first taste was amazing, followed by each taste being better than the previous. As this warmed the alcohol finally made it's presence known at the end, not hot, but perfectly tied in.

M: This is my only ding, it was a touch thin for me but that is really being picky. There was a slight bit of carbonation which was welcomed.

Overall: I am so glad I got to try this beer, and even more glad that I have another bottle. I am going to see if there are anymore around as I can see myself really going back to this beer multiple times.

4.57/5  rDev +5.5%

22oz black wax-topped bottle.

This one pours the same color as the other Eclipses which is not quite pitch black and has a small one-inch beige head that recedes quickly to a small collar with spotty lacing.

Aroma is wonderful and heavy on the bourbon, especially vs. the other versions. But it's not overpowering - nice vanilla, oak and bourbon aroma up front. There is plenty of of dark roasted malts, chocolate, and tobacco.

The taste is complex and after the "slight disappointment" of the 4 Roses I had last night, this brings back the Eclipses that I enjoyed so much from 08 and 09. There is more burn than the HH but it's well integrated with the bourbon melding with the roasted malts and cocoa.

The mouthfeel is medium bodied and smooth, not the thickest or fullest body, but silky.

This is up there with the HH for me. It's exceptionally drinkable for an impy stout with tons of complexity and flavor without being overpowering. Interestingly, the bourbon is heavy but doesn't limit the drinkability at all. Fantastic.

4.57/5  rDev +5.5%

A: Poured jet black with a nice dirty white cap and plenty of bubbles

S: Lighter bourbon than I expected but not bad because it let the chocolate, oak and toasted malt come through

T: Wow. Has a very smooth balanced feel and flavor. Not one flavor kills or competes. The chocolate, lighter whsikey, oak notes, roasted malt, coffee, some liquorice notes too

M: Nice feel, big body, tasty. The booze is pretty tame and allows this beer to shine on feel and flavor

D: Very high, sooo easy to drink!

4.56/5  rDev +5.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Drank from a 1 pint, 6 fl oz bottle purchased at Craft Beer Cellar, Belmont, MA
Bottle No.: BR/1 2012
Served in a snifter

Dark brown/black appearance. Oily and shimmery. Slightly lighter in color and thinner looking than I anticipated. The beer was topped by an inch tall, tight, frothy, mocha colored crown. Small drops of lacing coated the entire glass. The head slowly faded to a thick, lasting ring.

The aroma was really smooth and complex. Bourbon notes came through strong right off the bat and lent the beer some intense vanilla notes. Tons of brown sugar sweetness. Lots of dark malt flavor. Slightly roasty with a touch of espresso. Intense dark fruit notes came through as well. Raisins and plums were most noticeable. There was also a slight chalky yeast presence.

The flavor profile was nearly as impressive as the nose. Although the bourbon was intense, the beer drank very smooth. Brown sugar and vanilla notes dominated initially. I would almost call this a "vanilla bomb." Loads of caramel and dark malts. Moderately roasty. Strong dark fruit notes. Plums and raisins were apparent. Some dark chocolate-like fudginess came through as well. The finish was roasty and somewhat boozy with a lingering roasty/sweet combo. Hints of earthy, bitter hops were also noticeable.

The mouthfeel was super creamy and frothy. Plush and smooth on the palate. Supple. Not super viscous but really enjoyable nonetheless. A sweet, sticky film coated my lips after every sip.

Evan Williams Bourbon Imperial Eclipse Stout from FiftyFifty Brewing was noticeably more complex and bourbon forward than the Elijah Craig version I had a few weeks back. Although the beers in this series are all quite pricey, this variant was definitely worth the splurge.

4.55/5  rDev +5.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.5

2010 Evan Williams, bottle 2088. Served at room temperature in my Russian River tulip, in memory and honor of my Grandpa Kacmar who passed away this morning. Always a fighter, he will be missed dearly by everyone. Rest in peace Grandpa.

Appearance - Pours an utter evil viscosity, midnight in color, a slight ring of white, slight tan bubbles that dissipate quickly leaving spotty, yet quite attractive lacing.

Smell - Honestly, it reminds me of a combination of the GI BCS series. Wonderful bourbon, oak, vanilla, smoky notes intermixed with burnt cocoa, molasses, and brown sugar.

Taste - Well damn. I made my grandfather take a sip of the BCBVS and BCBCS over Christmas, and really wish he could have tried this. The first thing I notice, before the tastes settle in, is just how incredibly SMOOTH this is (I will delve into this a bit later in the appropriate category). The flavor is damn similar to the nose...but holy cow the flavors just meld so utterly perfect. The smoke is somewhat dominate in the fact it is there through the entire sip. The bourbon and sweet molasses and brown sugar are second in command, followed by absolutely smooth vanilla and oaky notes. Wow.

Mouthfeel - SO creamy, smooth, lower carbonation. This feels damn good.

Drinkability - Obviously, this is a slow sipper, but I get no alcohol flavor nor warmth. This is a world class beer, and being the "2010" version versus some of the 2009 versions I have, I can't even imagine how great those will taste. What a perfect beer to have tonight in memory. Cheers to all!

4.53/5  rDev +4.6%
look: 5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Thanks to badboyrsl for sharing this. Poured into rodenbach tulip. Pours very thick, small cocoa tan head, disappears quickly leaving a ring. Completely black. Large alcohol bubbles. Nose is intense bourbon, dark fruits, lots of alcohol burn. Taste is sweet, the honey adds a great edge, bourbon comes out up front then ends with a hot roasty, dark fruityness. Mouthfeel is very smooth, not too much carbonation makes it almost velvety. The full bodiedness lingers in your mouth. This definitely earns a world class rating, it is complete and extremely well crafted. I am glad to have tried it

4.53/5  rDev +4.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

I'll start by saying that Evan Williams is my favorite bourbon. So, buying a duplicate bottle of the Eclipse Evan Williams by "mistake" (as far as my wife knows) turned out to be a blessing because it afforded me the opportunity to try this guy and cellar the other one. It pours an opaque, very dark brown with glints of cola brown around the bottome edge of the glass when held to the light. A 1/2 inch burnt caramel colored head forms and sits atop the nearly black liquid, making the appearance very appealing. The aromas aren't obtrusive like one would expect with a BA imperial stout. But the oaky vanilla comes through first, followed by some roasted malt, and some faint bourbon last. The mouthfeel is nearly perfect for this beer. Not just the style, but the way this particular beer manifests itself. Despite it being a BA imperial stout, the flavors aren't huge, so the smooth, creamy, a bit chewy, but not viscous mouthfeel is the perfect combination with the aromas and flavors. Vanilla, oak, bourbon, chocolate, and dark, ripe fruit all come through pretty distinctively. The bourbon alcohol remains on the back of the tongue after the beer has been swallowed. I am really enjoying this one, but not quite as much as the Elijah Craig 12 year old.

Imperial Eclipse Stout - Evan Williams Bourbon from FiftyFifty Brewing Co.