Already subscribe? to manage your subscription.

Imperial Eclipse Stout - Evan Williams Bourbon - FiftyFifty Brewing Co.

Imperial Eclipse Stout - Evan Williams BourbonImperial Eclipse Stout - Evan Williams Bourbon

FiftyFifty Brewing Co. visit their website

American Double / Imperial Stout |  11.90% ABV

Availability: Fall

Beer added by: largadeer on 12-02-2010

3.1/5  rDev -27.4%

Had many of the eclipse series together. This is the 10 vintage. Pour is jet black and thin tan head. Nose is woody, bourbon, and some light chocolate. Sweet malts, sugary, and some dark fruits in the flavor. Dark chocolate underneath with bourbon and wood coming through strong. Full bodied feel, dry finish and low carbonation. Overly sweet with loads of wood and heat. Less complexity than the 4 roses and just as unintegrated. (430 characters)

3.27/5  rDev -23.4%

Re-review.

I've had ~10 bottles of this version over the past year, and each one has been different. Unfortunately, the vast majority have been mediocre and a couple were outright bad. That's expected, because FiftyFifty hires a mobile bottler of questionable quality, and that results in bottle variation. Still -- while I understand it, I can't really forgive it at $25 a bottle. They've moved the bottling in-house for the 2011 batch, which is good.

But at the time of this writing, I'm frustrated by the trends in the bottles I've had. I'm averaging them in the score; the ones I've had would range between a D+ and an A-, so there's a big swing. Since more of them have been closer to the lower end of the spectrum, that brings this review down.

A good bottle is described in the text below. The bad ones have more muddled flavors with an overly tannic finish and a watery body. As much as I enjoy Eclipse, I can't give 50/50 a pass here. As a whole I am very disappointed by the 2010 Eclipses.

~~~

Full comments:

Chilled bottle into a glass. 2010 vintage. Note: the Eclipse series greatly benefits from being served at 62 F or so.

A: Pours a dark brown that appears translucent in smaller quantities. It has a moderate tan head; retention is decent for an imperial stout, and it leaves a few trails of lace down the sides of the glass. As always, the weakest part of the beer is here.

S: After trying some single-barrel Evan Williams 1997 recently and noticing the same flavors in Perfect Storm, I'm picking up some common themes here. A toasted pecan note (this is almost the signature EW smell to me now), dark chocolate, caramel, spices, and orange. The spiced-orange-caramel effect is reminiscent of a dark, organic honey.

T: This leads with vanilla and dark chocolate, thought there is a slight milk sweetness to it. Spiced caramel is strong. A chocolate-orange flavor near the finish is reminiscent of holiday candy. Roast isn't particularly notable in the flavor, but there is a mild presence of it in the background that offsets the sweeter elements. I'd credit the balance more to tannins, which stand with a pepper bite in the finish. The aftertaste is mostly clean, though it leaves retronasal hints of vanilla, dark chocolate, and spice (almost ginger-like).

M: While this is not viscous, it's full-bodied in flavor. The beer doesn't finish dry, but tannins emerge and give it an astringent feel. There is also a mild heat; the spices, tannins, and heat together make the beer harsher than I prefer. I think this aspect will improve with age. I like my beers silky-smooth, and I know from experience that Eclipses can do this. There's nothing particularly wrong here, but I think this mouthfeel would better appeal to spirits drinkers (I am not one).

D: Definitely a solid beer. The tap version I had at the brewery yesterday was a bit lacking in complexity, though it was more chocolatey and less hot. This bottle goes the other way. Solid stuff so far. I think the 09s were better upon release, so this is a small disappointment, but I'll see how the remaining iterations of the '10 are.

I'm also aware that this beer is going to vary a lot. Apparently two bottles opened last night displayed remarkably different characteristics. I may tweak it (averaging) as further bottles come up. (3,327 characters)

3.42/5  rDev -19.9%

Reviewed from notes. Bottle poured into tulip, black with brown edges tiny bubbly collar. Pretty run of the mill in terms of looks. Smells like bourbon water, malty biscuits, alcohol, buttery toffee, kind of nutty vanilla. Taste is hot and boozey at first, vanilla bourbon, oak, spicy barrel char, slight roast in the end. Medium bodied with a light carbonation, very hot and a bit watery for the style. A decent tasting beer despite the alcohol presence. The mouthfeel kills this beer for me. (493 characters)

3.5/5  rDev -18%

Bottle, next to the Elijah Craig, Pappy Van Winkle, Brandy, Four Roses Eclipse bottles, and some other barrel aged imperial stouts. This was consumed toward the end of the tasting and my notes are horrible, but I trust my judgment at that time: Fairly small head. Slightly better than 4 Roses. Coconut Sugars." To try to expand on that, if possible, it was probably the best of the three 2010 Eclipse bottles (PVW not included as that was 2008), but was still quite a bit under the 2009 bottles. The 2010 bottles all seemed fairly sugary and under attenuated. (559 characters)

3.58/5  rDev -16.2%

Pours a deep black with some light coming through around the edges, absolutely no head.

I found this beer has a very mild nose with bourbon, oak, vanilla, and some sweet chocolate coming through.

Starts off with some nice bourbon flavours (mild not overpowering), vanilla, raisin, prune, caramel, and it finishes with a little bite of alcohol that lingers slightly. Not sure if this is just me, but I found it slightly hollow in the back end.

Much thinner then I was expecting, but it was still smooth and creamy, low carbonation.

Overall this is a good barrel aged stout, but I was not blown away. (602 characters)

3.65/5  rDev -14.5%

Bottle courtesy of Hophead101 and mikereaser. Thanks guys! Bottle #2197.

A- Pours a dark brown with a one finger off white head. Some lines of lacing are left behind.

S- When served around 50 degrees, this beer has nearly no aroma. However, after warming up a bit, oak and bourbon are prominent upfront with a hint of roasted malt, unsweetened chocolate, brown sugar and honey.

T- Earthy oak upfront, bourbon, dark chocolate, roasted malt and a bit of sweet honey. Not bad, but really not complex.

M- Medium to high carbonation a fairly thin body. The mouthfeel is too thin and could use a little more body. Finishes with some heat.

O- Underwhelming would be the best word to describe this beer. There didn't seem to be a strong base beer that incorporated the barrel aging treatment and this just tasted like a bourbon forward beer with a watery body. I'm glad I got a chance to try my first bottle of the Eclipse series, but I'm curious why this is a $30 bottle and am a little worried about the 12 yr EC having the same disappointing results. (1,052 characters)

3.65/5  rDev -14.5%

On tap at City Beer Store. 2010 Evan Williams. Pours a black that is brownish at the edges when held up to the light. A small tan-chocolaty color head sticks around for a while and leaves a ring around the edge and leaves a decent amount of lacing on the glass. The aroma is cocoa, vanilla, some roasted notes, as well as some light bourbon. The taste very much follows the nose. Initial taste is cocoa, going into the vanilla and bourbon as well as some roastiness. The finish is some darker chocolate with a medium bitterness. There is quite a bit of char on the finish that isn't very pleasant. Light bodied for an imperial stout with relatively low carbonation. I found this to be the worst out of the 2010 Eclipses. I know there is supposed to be some variation so maybe I got lucky with the other bottles I opened. (820 characters)

3.69/5  rDev -13.6%

Black wax. Bottle #1237, 2010 vintage. Thanks to DankTheTank for this. Poured into a snifter.

3.0 A: Black color. I could only muster about a finger of creamy light brown head that falls quickly and leaves a small ring of lacing.

4.0 S: The bourbon and barrel are the strongest components of the nose. Leather and melon bourbon, good amount of vanilla, and oak to a lesser extent. The underlying stout doesn't contribute enough to match up with the bourbon notes, but I can still pick some stuff out. Roasted barley, molasses, caramel and toffee to a lighter extent, and some milk chocolate. I'd rather have the stout kick the bourbon's ass, but it's still pretty good.

3.5 T: The taste unfortunately follows the nose. I really love bourbon barrel stouts, but the best kind take a killer stout and complement it with a bourbon touch. In this one, the bourbon is the headliner and the stout is just the opening act. Bourbon components are leather, lots of vanilla, raisin and fig, melon, peat, and just a touch boozy. Stout contributes roasted barley, milk chocolate, molasses, and a touch of caramel. Not as robust as I'd prefer.

3.5 M: Medium body, a bit thin for my liking. Carbonation is a bit lower than I prefer, but is alright overall. Could be creamier, but is pretty smooth. Warming on finish, but not hot.

4.0 D: This is a bourbon drinker's beer. The stout isn't all that impressive, but the barrel aging is well done. I'd be curious to taste what the stout is like without the bourbon influence. Anyway, there isn't a hint of astringency from the barrel. Easy drinking though. It's beers like these that make me want to appreciate bourbon more, but at the end of the day, I want a thick and rich stout and in that regard, this one doesn't pull through. (1,767 characters)

3.69/5  rDev -13.6%

My mate Doops and I were lucky enough to be able to try the entire 2010 - 2008 series. This was the first bottle we opened. A big thanks to everyone who made putting this set together possible. Shout goes out to Masterski and dboon for providing bottles of the 2010 Evan Williams. Thanks gents!

From a bomber into a snifter
Vintage: 2010
Bottle: 2032
Wax: Black

APPEARANCE: All the 2010 bottles basically look the same. Thin, transparent pour yields a small, medium looking, tan head with decent retention. Head fades relatively quickly to a faint wisp and ring. Black body, quite transparent, with no carbonation evident. A ring remains until the end leaving some dots of lacing down the glass. Just too light and transparent for the style, unfortunately.

SMELL: This one is quite barrel heavy. Very similar to the HH variant we opened. Lots of bourbon, oak and vanilla up front. Some hints of dark chocolate come through a little as it sits, but this is a heavy bourbon barrel nose. More barrel and bolder than the 4R version, but not quite as much base beer is detectable as in the HH ‘09.

TASTE: Bourbon barrel up front with plenty of bourbon, oak and vanilla on the palate. One of the more bourbon forward variants. A bit of the base beer comes through with some roasted malts and dark chocolate through the middle into the finish. A bold aftertaste of bourbon barrel and some bitter, dark chocolate lingers nicely on the palate. The bourbon barrel is quite flavorful as opposed to being boozy, and the base and barrel mesh well together. Good stuff and much like the HH variant.

PALATE: Medium-full body and medium carbonation. Creamy on the palate, goes down fine and finishes slightly sticky. A touch of heat lingers as well.

OVERALL: This is a solid beer that is worth checking out. Although the pour is rather thin and unimpressive, the rest of the beer is quite enjoyable. I would put this somewhere around the middle of the series, being behind the HH, 4R and definitely the EC. This is probably the best example of what the series is all about though, and while I don’t think I’d go hunting for it again, I wouldn’t turn it down either. Plenty of this was brewed and bottled, so if you’re curious about the series, this would be a good place to start exploring I suppose. Recommended. (2,320 characters)

3.7/5  rDev -13.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

2010, bottle #1389. Part of my stout tasting on October 22nd, 2011. 2-3 oz. into snifter. The second variant we opened. Certain parts copied over from the other Eclipse reviews.

A – Thin, semi-dark brown coloring. Lacking any sort of considerable head but showing a decent amount of alcohol on the sides of my glass.

S – Definitely more phenolic than Heaven’s Hill 2010. A bit harsh on the barrel aromas. Needed some sort of spice or sweetness component to cut the dominant bourbon and oak. Chocolate and roasted undertones.

T – Again, a rougher form of bourbon barrel upfront with a leathery, oaky finish. Considerable alcohol burn and warming on the backend.

M - Medium body. Carbonation is expected, decent medium-length finish.

D – Feels less integrated than Heaven’s Hill and Four Roses. The finish is the weakest component of this beer, by far, and it needed more age to mellow the bourbon and alcohol tones. (934 characters)

3.73/5  rDev -12.6%

This was the last beer we opened up during our epic tasting last weekend. Poured into a snifter.

Appearance: Pours almost black with just a little light coming through the very edge of the pour. There is a layer of tan head.

Smell: Sweet, roasted malt up front with a strong presence from the bourbon barrel. The bourbon dominates the smell of this beer.

Taste: This one is quite hot from the bourbon. Dark roast and some sweet dark fruit notes. The finish is bitter. Not a ton of sweetness from the malt.

Mouthfeel: The body is on the thick side with some heat from the bourbon. Tingly carbonation and a dry finish.

Overall: I would have liked the bourbon to be a bit less hot. A bit more malt sweetness coming out would have been alright with me. (753 characters)

3.75/5  rDev -12.2%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

A study in corn whiskey for those fans. Not so carbonated. Boozy. Some lace drops. The barreling yielded tastes of coconut, caramel, chocolate. Drinkable, owing much to the sweetness, but to me just a regular imperial stout. Bottle from Premier split with Liam. (261 characters)

3.78/5  rDev -11.5%

Into a tulip, pours a big thick chocolate brown head atop an impenetrable body. Exhibits a lighter viscosity in the body that, as I suspected, analogously translates to the mouthfeel.

Aromas of biscuit, graham cracker, bourbon-soaked chocolate chip cookie dough, and a feint hint of raspberries as well as oak. A pleasant-smelling bouquet, though mild in intensity. Certain *whiffs* yield some sharp heat as well.

Complex flavors ranging from molasses to sticky-icky honey, with a powerful bitter roast on the finish and the spirit of Evan Williams manifesting throughout, soaking the cookie dough known as my tongue.

Mouthfeel, not surprisingly, is thinner than I would like but understandable considering the nature of the bourbon it's aged in.

Overall, there are moments where I don't know if I am drinking a stout infused with bourbon flavor, or a bourbon infused with stout flavor (the latter impression comes on the heals of having sipped 75% of the bottle on my own, so take that for what it's worth).

All this said, what this is is delicious, and I am definitely impressed, considering honey as a flavor isn't among my top favorites. And it should have been shared, as one per sitting is about all I'd like to withstand. (1,238 characters)

3.8/5  rDev -11%

I somehow forgot to include this review in my mass copy/paste from EverNote after our big tasting in March. 2010 Evan Williams (black wax).

Pours just like the others. Bourbon, roasty malt, chocolate. Some mild figs hidden in there too. Smooth bourbon character imparts boozy warmth as I drink. Really doesn't seem much better or worse than -- or even that different from -- the others. A few friends said this was their favorite from recent tastings, but it definitely doesn't stand out to me amongst its peers.

Overall, this finished middle of the pack; '11 EC18 was our group's consensus favorite. And honestly, I was unimpressed across the board with most of these beers. Bourbon County Stout is far superior to all of them except EC18. Very glad I got to try them all, but EC18 is the only one I'd seek out again. (820 characters)

3.83/5  rDev -10.3%

Here we go. First beer of our epic tasting. Oregon edition.

Stouts are stouts this is a pretty beautiful looking bevrage but it is really the similiar image of every other stout. But the smell...heavy bourban very sweet.

The taste desnt reveal much more then the smell HOLY BOURBON. I must say there isn't much more body to this brew then the bourban and some maltiness.

The mouthfeel is still surprisingly good for being so hot.

The drinkability though depends on the bourbon tlerance of the drinker. (508 characters)

3.83/5  rDev -10.3%

Bottle 2276, picked up at Healthy Spirits when this beer was initially released.

Poured a dark black with a thin tan head that partially retains.

Very inviting nose. Caramel, coffee, dark chocolate. Bourbon character noticeable but not overwhelming.

Taste didn't live up to the expectations set forth by the nose. Harsher alcohol presence detracting from the enjoyment here. Some vanilla woody notes along with dark chocolate and caramel.

Medium bodied, low carbonation. Slightly oily.

A solid offering from a brewery I'd expect nothing less of in this department. I have another bottle of this particular version and am going to sit on it for another year or two, expecting improvement with a little more age. (720 characters)

3.88/5  rDev -9.1%

650 mL bottle poured into a snifter. 2010 bottle. I didn't write down the bottle number. Reviewed from notes.

Appearance - No head and not quite black. Wisps of lace, but otherwise a rather lackluster-looking stout. Not impressive.

Smell - Oh man that is awesome barreling. Bourbon. Complex bourbon, if that makes sense. Vanilla and oak. My only issue is that I can barely smell the stout.

Taste - Really great barrel flavors again. Bourbon, oak, vanilla. Caramel and chocolate come through, but the stout still isn't shining. It's all about the barrel here.

Mouthfeel - Thin, but no booze. Low carbonation, as I would have expected given its appearance.

Overall - The barrel is perfect. The stout is mediocre. Tough to rate the beer, but it's still damn tasty.

Edit: Lowered the numbers on this after having it next to the other Eclipses. Definitely a cheaper booze. (873 characters)

3.88/5  rDev -9.1%

2010 bottle poured into Founders snifter. Bottle #393.

A - Pours pretty black with a very thin tan head. The head dissipates quite quickly and leaves barely anything. Doesn't look fantastic, but looks nice. It sticks to the side of the glass a little to show the body. The fact that the lacing remains throughout the entire glass keeps the appearance of this one up.

S - Light fudge, light vanilla. The bourbon barrel is there, but it doesn't seem too overwhelming. There is a sweetness to be found as well. This seems a little too mild to me. It isn't that the aroma isn't good, it is that the aroma seems muted.

T - Slight fudge, vanilla, a little amount of hotness and then some nice charred oak. The oak has a slight vanilla tinge to it that blends well. After a few sips, it seems fairly balanced. The bourbon really dominates this one, so if that isn't your thing you should steer clear.

M - Medium but silky body with what seems like the right amount of carbonation. There is a little, but the silkiness breaks through the light carbonation nicely.

O - Pretty good beer. Nice BA stout. I'll drink it again in a year or so to see how things go. (1,155 characters)

3.89/5  rDev -8.9%

2010 Bottle # 608, cellared just shy of 1 year.

A: Poured from the black waxed sealed bomber bottle in a tulip glass, the beer is a black thick motor oil, with about 1/10 of an inch of head that forms to just a film resting on top, and then quickly dissipates to just razor thin ring of bubbles. When swirled, the light film of lace resurfaces. Light coating on the glass.

S: Initial scents are of oak, bourbon, mild vanilla, toast, and dark 80% chocolate. Also there is the touch of alcohol heat, medium roasted malt, and a mild touch of espresso.

T: Mirror the nose, flavors of vanilla, bourbon, medium roasted malt, oak, and dark chocolate. As it warmed, nuances of toast, a touch of honey, and a kiss of pepper are also present.

M: Light carbonation, light viscosity, mildly sticky.

O: Smooth. Having had totality, the barrel aging treatments do wonders to the base beer, though the beer, imo, could be improved with a better base beer recipe, as this I enjoyed, totality I would pass on. Though perhaps that is why the infusion is as remarkable as it is. (1,069 characters)

3.9/5  rDev -8.7%

22 oz. bomber, #412, 2010 Vintage,

A: Pours black with a moderate tan head. Solid head retention, good lace.

S: Honeyed sweet dark chocolate, cocoa powder, vanilla, light notes of orange and citrus.

T: Malt heavy/chocolate, mild notes of roast. Bourbon is well integrated adding it's characteristic flavour. Dark fruit with a hint of charcoal in the finish with that cocoa powder note I got in the nose.

M: Medium-full body, at 9.5% it isn't a huge behemoth stout, but it's still a big beer. Smooth, creamy, spiritous finish, pleasantly alcoholic.

D: Nice beer, well made, I definitely want to see where this goes in a couple years. (637 characters)

3.92/5  rDev -8.2%

C: Black
H: Dark Black
N: Chocolate, Bourbon, Vanilla

Three of these now tried and reviewed…..they all look similar, smell similar, and taste….well not so much. Starting to think I should have just stopped with the Purple Wax or Red Wax. Lighter body than the other two, and lets face it when the beer is that close, body is a lot. Good…..but my least favorite out of the group. (385 characters)

3.93/5  rDev -8%

Bottle (2012)

Acquired via online purchase

Black body throughout with a very small ring of brown bubbles atop. Not a lot of visible carbonation, but there's nothing wrong with that for a beer of this style. Leaves the glass dotted and spotted with irregular, small bubbles of stick down the glass. Pretty and appropriate.

The nose does bring layers of chocolate, a mild roast character, and just the faintest hint of a bourbon.

The flavor is really quite nice though. Layers of chocolate, roast, integrated bourbon, and a touch of alcohol warmth combine quite nicely. This isn't the most complex, or most interesting example of a barrel-aged imperial stout, and probably not worth the sticker price all things considered, but this is still a very tasty beer, no matter how you slice it.

Medium bodied with moderate carbonation. Coating and sticky. Quite nice. Lingering chocolate finish is a great attribute of this beer.

A nice beer from FiftyFifty, but not one of my favorite of the variants. (1,002 characters)

3.95/5  rDev -7.5%

Thanks to Nicks6217 for providing this for me.
Bottle #417 Bomber poured into a tulip

A-- Poured a deep, dark cola color. Settled black. Very little head with this. A dark mocha colored head that at best was a 1/4 inch high and went quickly to film and strips of milk chocolate. On swirling got a half a finger of head and also died off quickly. One circle of lacing on the glass and not much else.

S-- Vanilla, dark plum, coconut, and soft bourbon. This smells very nice. Coconut gets more apparent as it gets more air and is more of a toasted coconut smell. No ABV smell to this at all.

T-- Bourbon forward. Get more dark fruits, vanilla blossom, honey and coconut.

M-- Smooth. Dairy milk chocolate smooth. Touches of hotness, booze and thinness here and there. Low carbonation and medium feel. Really not all that big. Honey is also apparent in the mouth. I think gives it that softer, smooth appeal.

O-- Really nice. Booze does hit you after a bit but really the 9.5 is really well hidden. not as thick as I thought it would be. There are a few thin gaps in this. Honey gets bigger as I have drank on in this. Not sure I am big on the honey. Would prefer to taste more of the oak barrel though. Would buy again though (1,232 characters)

3.96/5  rDev -7.3%

Bottle 1432 of 2010

Appearance: Pours fudge brown with just a hint of bubbly froth; a few spots of lacing

Smell: Vanilla, chocolate and marshmallow underpinned by oaky Bourbon tones

Taste: A hint of roast and we are off into a marshmallow and vanilla world of sweet flavor; boozy harshness picks up, in the mid-palate, with oaky Bourbon tones adding a slightly harsh character; the marshmallow and vanilla sweetness returns to linger in the finish though the Bourbon lingers, too

Mouthfeel: Medium to full body with low to moderate carbonation

Overall: A fine beer but this one didn't meet the expectations I had for it; a bit too sweet and a bit too thin (660 characters)

3.97/5  rDev -7%

Poured from a 22 oz. bomber into a tulip.

Appearance: The pour is nearly black with some soft brown bubbles that never truly form into a head. Very quickly I am looking at a viscous black liquid with no cap.

Smell: The smell is of the dark chocolate, espresso, and roasted malt that the other variants have, as well as a full and fairly rough bourbon aroma.

Taste: Strong Evan Williams flavor really dominates the flavor and the sweetness I have noticed in the other Eclipse treatments. Roasted malt, dark chocolate, some light dark fruits and a bit of espresso all blend together nicely, with a touch of woody oak at the end.

Mouthfeel: The body is on the full side of medium, with smooth, creamy carbonation and a bourbon stickiness.

Overall: Another good treatment of Eclipse, although the Evan Williams might be a bit harsh for my palate. My sense is that as this ages, it will develop nicely. (905 characters)

Imperial Eclipse Stout - Evan Williams Bourbon from FiftyFifty Brewing Co.