Imperial Eclipse Stout - Evan Williams Bourbon - FiftyFifty Brewing Co.

Imperial Eclipse Stout - Evan Williams BourbonImperial Eclipse Stout - Evan Williams Bourbon

FiftyFifty Brewing Co. visit their website

American Double / Imperial Stout |  11.90% ABV

Availability: Fall

(Beer added by: largadeer on 12-02-2010)
4.58/5  rDev +5.5%

22oz black wax-topped bottle.

This one pours the same color as the other Eclipses which is not quite pitch black and has a small one-inch beige head that recedes quickly to a small collar with spotty lacing.

Aroma is wonderful and heavy on the bourbon, especially vs. the other versions. But it's not overpowering - nice vanilla, oak and bourbon aroma up front. There is plenty of of dark roasted malts, chocolate, and tobacco.

The taste is complex and after the "slight disappointment" of the 4 Roses I had last night, this brings back the Eclipses that I enjoyed so much from 08 and 09. There is more burn than the HH but it's well integrated with the bourbon melding with the roasted malts and cocoa.

The mouthfeel is medium bodied and smooth, not the thickest or fullest body, but silky.

This is up there with the HH for me. It's exceptionally drinkable for an impy stout with tons of complexity and flavor without being overpowering. Interestingly, the bourbon is heavy but doesn't limit the drinkability at all. Fantastic.

gford217, Jan 28, 2011
4.43/5  rDev +2.1%

Received one of these from Black13 and oregonskibum, thanks guys! This will be my first foray into FiftyFifty brewing but I did enjoy some of the brewers beer from Flossmoor Station (for a brief time). Drank from my Darkness snifter.

2010 version bottle 156

Appearance- Pours a very dark brownish black with a small quarter finger dark tan head.
Smell- Very rich smelling with a big rush of sweet milk chocolate upon my first whiff. Plenty of caramel hiding in there as well with a touch of smooth woody bourbon. Not much of a dark roasty smell but there is a tiny bit of coffee hiding in there. Almost nutty smelling too with a roasted almond thing going on. The more I smell it the more I get some of that barrel and whiffs of vanilla.
Taste- Starts pretty bold with a more muted sweetness than I expected. The chocolate is nice and fairly intense but it leans more toward the dark version. I get more of that nuttiness I got in the nose with a sort of roasted pecan thing. A touch of brown sugar and plenty of vanilla from the fairly prevalent taste of the barrels. A bit of bitterness steps in from either the bold roasted aspect or some nice balancing hops. The wood isn't harsh but it sort of tannic and intense. I can't say I've ever had Evan Williams Bourbon but there is a bit of warming. The finish is chocolaty and lightly nutty with more of that vanilla.
Mouthfeel- A little thin for my liking in a big Imperial Stout but I'd call it somewhere around medium bodied. A nice zip of carbonation and a touch of warming.
Drinkability- Definitely one of the better Imperial Stouts I've had in quite some time. I look forward to see how the Evan Williams barrel compares to the others. It's not overly sweet (which I love) and the wood/bourbon definitely add their own stamps of flavor. Great beer that I'm glad I have another of (and different versions!). Thanks much gentlemen!

younger35, Jan 28, 2011
4.22/5  rDev -2.8%

A - Pours Black with light brown edges and minimal head that disappears to almost no head

S - Whiskey, vanilla, toffee. The alcohol really comes through.

T - Hot, when it warms up its really hot. Vanilla, carmel really good. some sweet molasses or honey.

M - Medium Bodied

D - Good, shared this with 5 others wish I had more.

kfsv034, Jan 27, 2011
4.47/5  rDev +3%

pours black with a finger of milk chocolate head, good lacing. smell is chocolate, bourbon, some dark fruit, light oak, with a hint of vanilla. taste is more of the nose, good bourbon character, molasses, oak, dark fruits, and a light roasted finish. a little thin, but good carbonation and very easy to drink. in my opinion this was much better than the HH version.

xpimptastikx, Jan 25, 2011

Reviewed from notes on 1/10/11:

A: Pours jet black with a very thin layer of khaki colored head.

S: Holy cow. A beautiful bourbon smell wafts into my nose, I love that smell. Vanilla and oak are also present too.

T: My taste buds just died and went to beer heaven. Bourbon and oak taste dominate but in a way that makes you want to drink more. The roasted malts are there but definitely play second fiddle to the bourbon and oak.

M: It is very creamy and smooth. Out of this world.

D: This is the first beer I've given a perfect score to. I drank the 22oz by myself and felt a little guilty for not sharing. I wish I had another one.

gregshead, Jan 23, 2011
4.47/5  rDev +3%

Good lookin out largadeer for cracking this open on the post RS tasting

Poured a dark as night black in color with a tight thin head and left a little lacing sticking to the glass. The aroma was very nice consisting of lots of chocolate but the bourbon was definitely there but add some sweet vanilla as well. I was able to detect mild coffee, oak, and some roastiness from the malts. The chocolate flavor really dominated the palate but had vanilla, oaky, slight coffee accents with bourbon character adding complexity that was not overbearing. For sure it had lots of roastiness and had a touch of cherries. The brew was full in body with a moderate amount of carbonation which had a chocolatey, sweet, bourbon, roasty, and creamy finish. This brew was very delicious and definitely lives up to the hype. It was a sipper faux show but was glad to try it.

Gobzilla, Jan 12, 2011
4.45/5  rDev +2.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

Snowed in with nothing to do but enjoy all the goodies I have saved. I decided to open this one last night after dinner to hang around for a while and play wii. Served into a snifter.

The pour was black as night with a lovely tan head of about an inch and a half that faded down to nice lacing that thoroughly coated the sides of the glass for the entire session. Deep smoked notes hit me first, rum, vanilla, hints of oak and a deep burnt cocoa fill the air. Immense aroma and flavor as each sip coats the palate with a peat and chocolate soaked in bourbon flavor. Really clean with molasses, vanilla and brown sugar really just come jumping out at you. Long slow finish leaves the smoothness just right on the palate.

For my opening into the 2010 series I am very impressed. A show stopped for sure. Green wax here I come.

mikesgroove, Jan 12, 2011
4.43/5  rDev +2.1%

Big thanks to largadeer for sharing a bottle of this on our visit to Beechwood BBQ after the Bruery Reserve Society Party. Served from bottle into a goblet. Poured pitch black with a minimal off-white head. Maintained decent lacing throughout the glass. The aroma was comprised of sweet malt, caramel, chocolate, cream, and alcohol. The flavor was of sweet malt, caramel, chocolate, and alcohol. It had a heavy feel on the palate with low carbonation. Overall this was an excellent brew. Had a very nice flavor and aroma going on here. Not a whole lot missing at all on this one. It is an absolute must try... Can't wait to try other things from this series.

thagr81us, Jan 11, 2011
4.47/5  rDev +3%

22 oz bottle, 9.5% abv. Pours pure black with a nice looking beige head. Good head retention, with a modest amount of lace.

Great nose. Bourbon, oak, roasted malts. Some dark fruit, cocoa and some dark chocolate.

Roasty, with a great amount of chocolate. Bourbon comes in very nicely, with some oak notes. Some dark fruits are noted as well, but chocolate dominates.

Medium to full body, with a great creamy feel. Alcohol is present, but not overbearing. Very well made.

Bierguy5, Jan 11, 2011
4.47/5  rDev +3%

Pitch black in color with very little head and less splotchy lace.

Milk chocolate, cocoa, black fruits, vanilla, mollasses, hints of bourbon, slight oaky notes.

Very nice, easy drinking, with wood tannins and hints of hop bitterness on the finish. Very chocolatey with loads of dark fruits, plum, raisin, blackberry. Than you take notice of the thick vanilla, bitter cocoa, bourbon, toasted oak and earthy notes. Creamy on the palate and lighter in body than say a Dark Lord which I think is a very good thing and helps drinkability.

mcallister, Jan 11, 2011
4.47/5  rDev +3%

From the 2010 release party bottling. Shared with Habmike, Kkipple, SpencerDB, RobOrb and Advent. Many thanks to a kind mule.

Appearance: Looks basically like the rest of the 50/50 barrel aged lineup; small head, some lacing, dark pour with some mahogany brown edges.

Smell: Nice soft smooth bourbon with molasses, fudge, dark chocolate, vanilla and some espresso

Taste: Great bourbon element to this one, I am not an Evan Williams fan either. Behind the bourbon I found caramel, toffee, chocolate fudge, honey and brown sugar. Perhaps some sweet tobacco juice as well. There can't be much to the base beer on these as the bourbon barrels really take the beer over completely. Very rich flavors.

Mouthfeel: Creamy; perhaps a bit thin like the rest of the 50/50 lineup, my only real complaint about the ones I liked

Drinkability: So good, I'll need to get a few more of these.

We did a big side-by-side and I would rate them in this order: Pappy 50/50; Evan Williams 50/50; Elijah Craig 50/50; 4 Roses 50/50; Heaven Hill 50/50 (noticeably worse than the rest); Brandy 50/50 (Brandy being a drain pour). It was fun to try them side-by-side, each is incredibly distinct and there are certainly some winners and some losers.

craytonic, Jan 10, 2011
4.43/5  rDev +2.1%

Bottle shared with my buddy Johnny. Big thanks to Joey at SBD.

A- Pretty much pitch black. Mocha colored 2 fingered head forms. Nice lacing

S- Warm blend of bourbon, chocolate malt. I get some oakiness as well, but the heat is masking some of the smell.

T- Awesome, A nice smooth stout. The flavor develops to a nice mocha/bourbon/chocolate/caramel stout. The bourbon is just perfect blend, and has a nice oaky finish. Aftertaste leaves a hoppy tang on the tongue.

M- It's very good, maybe a little on the light side, but only a smidge. Very nice a complex, and the flavor just goes on forever.

D- I just want more and more. Very very nice, can't wait to try the rest of the series.

Gfunk720, Jan 09, 2011
3.28/5  rDev -24.4%

Re-review.

I've had ~10 bottles of this version over the past year, and each one has been different. Unfortunately, the vast majority have been mediocre and a couple were outright bad. That's expected, because FiftyFifty hires a mobile bottler of questionable quality, and that results in bottle variation. Still -- while I understand it, I can't really forgive it at $25 a bottle. They've moved the bottling in-house for the 2011 batch, which is good.

But at the time of this writing, I'm frustrated by the trends in the bottles I've had. I'm averaging them in the score; the ones I've had would range between a D+ and an A-, so there's a big swing. Since more of them have been closer to the lower end of the spectrum, that brings this review down.

A good bottle is described in the text below. The bad ones have more muddled flavors with an overly tannic finish and a watery body. As much as I enjoy Eclipse, I can't give 50/50 a pass here. As a whole I am very disappointed by the 2010 Eclipses.

~~~

Full comments:

Chilled bottle into a glass. 2010 vintage. Note: the Eclipse series greatly benefits from being served at 62 F or so.

A: Pours a dark brown that appears translucent in smaller quantities. It has a moderate tan head; retention is decent for an imperial stout, and it leaves a few trails of lace down the sides of the glass. As always, the weakest part of the beer is here.

S: After trying some single-barrel Evan Williams 1997 recently and noticing the same flavors in Perfect Storm, I'm picking up some common themes here. A toasted pecan note (this is almost the signature EW smell to me now), dark chocolate, caramel, spices, and orange. The spiced-orange-caramel effect is reminiscent of a dark, organic honey.

T: This leads with vanilla and dark chocolate, thought there is a slight milk sweetness to it. Spiced caramel is strong. A chocolate-orange flavor near the finish is reminiscent of holiday candy. Roast isn't particularly notable in the flavor, but there is a mild presence of it in the background that offsets the sweeter elements. I'd credit the balance more to tannins, which stand with a pepper bite in the finish. The aftertaste is mostly clean, though it leaves retronasal hints of vanilla, dark chocolate, and spice (almost ginger-like).

M: While this is not viscous, it's full-bodied in flavor. The beer doesn't finish dry, but tannins emerge and give it an astringent feel. There is also a mild heat; the spices, tannins, and heat together make the beer harsher than I prefer. I think this aspect will improve with age. I like my beers silky-smooth, and I know from experience that Eclipses can do this. There's nothing particularly wrong here, but I think this mouthfeel would better appeal to spirits drinkers (I am not one).

D: Definitely a solid beer. The tap version I had at the brewery yesterday was a bit lacking in complexity, though it was more chocolatey and less hot. This bottle goes the other way. Solid stuff so far. I think the 09s were better upon release, so this is a small disappointment, but I'll see how the remaining iterations of the '10 are.

I'm also aware that this beer is going to vary a lot. Apparently two bottles opened last night displayed remarkably different characteristics. I may tweak it (averaging) as further bottles come up.

Arbitrator, Jan 08, 2011
4.5/5  rDev +3.7%

Bottle 2903 Poured into a tulip. I picked up this bottle at the brewery during a ski trip to Tahoe. Inadvertently left the bottle outside overnight when the temp got down to -10 or so. I was very relieved that the bottle still was carbonated and was just as tasty as the non frozen bottles that I had.

The pour was a very dark brown/black with some slight tan head that settled into a nice lacing around the edge of the glass. The smell is a nice delicious boozy woody smell with some chocolate and nice figgy/pruney dark fruit smells. The taste is boozy similar to the smell, but not overpowering like some oak aged beers I have had in the past. Some nice chocolaty notes and again the dark fruits. The aftertaste is a very smooth soft roasty malty flavor that lingers for a while.

The mouthfeel of this beer is also quite nice. Decent amount of carbonation for this style although not quite as thick as I could have hoped. Very good drink, definitely a bit on the pricey side, but totally worth it for a treat every once in a while.

tjfinkle, Jan 08, 2011

Poured into a tulip.

A: pitch black with some brown highlights at the edges, thin brown head dies to a ring around the edge of the glass bits of lacing left behind

S: chocolate, honey, oak, maple, caramel, coconut, marshmellows, rich dark fruits and notes of fine American whiskey. This beer like the rest of the eclipse series shows off the bourbon beautifully.

T: beautiful dark fruits like raspberry and cherry much like the fruit characteristics of a good bourbon, vanilla a touch of oak, caramel marshmellow and hints of coconut. The dark fruits are not as prominent as the other flavours which is good in my books. Wonderful well integrated notes of bourbon as well.

M: full bodied and a bit chewy but not as heavy as similar barrel aged stouts low carbonation with little heat but warming in the belly sweet with a touch of bitterness perfectly balanced and increeedibly smooth

D: I could drink this all night such a perfect beer. The Eclipse series rules!!!

billshmeinke, Jan 07, 2011
4.6/5  rDev +6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

Black wax bomber #808 poured into a pair of Bruery
tulips with fellow BA hobojon.

Appearance: Black with dark brown clear edges. Nice toasty foam cap sits atop the beer persistently. Looks mighty tasty to me.

Aroma: Sweet and smooth. Booze. So mellow. Vanilla and milk chocolate. Candy like, but not overly sweet.

Taste: So delicious! Smooth. Sweet, but in the best way I can ever recall tasting in a beer. Bourbon and the hotness that accompanies it, but not overbearing. Smallest hint of roast. I prefer a lesser roast intensity so this works well for me. Almost
an Almond Joy thing going on with the chocolate, vanilla, coconut and amaretto notes I am getting.

Mouthfeel: Not too chewy or viscous, medium low carbonation, and I can really appreciate these aspects of
the beer. Body is perfect for this beer.

Drinkability: I could sip and smell this bad boy all day! The (relatively) low alcohol and lighter body combined with the sheer deliciousness make for very high marks here.

I am curious about how this will age. There is some alcohol burn that could stand to mellow, but in almost
every other aspect this guy seems aged to perfection. Damn good beer, can't wait to open my other variations on this beer.

MrFootstones, Jan 05, 2011
4.43/5  rDev +2.1%

This was one of my contributions to the drinks during a poker game, part of the endless struggle to get others drunk while gambling their money away. It didn't work for me this time...

It pours a dark brown, mostly opaque although you can see through it a little on the edges (just a little). Thin tan foam that lasted for the 15 minutes or so that it took me to drink my 1/3 of the bottle, no real lacing.

Nice bourbon aromas, very strong as was the case with the Four Roses version I tried a few days ago, both being less refined in aroma than the PVW I tried 1 week ago (which was a lot older). Probably with time this will become more integrated. Behind the bourbon I picked up the scents I'm starting to really appreciate in these Eclipse stouts, more sweet than roasty, cocoa and vanilla, heavy sugar like honey or molasses.

Same in the flavor, this is somewhat hot but in a way that showcases the best bourbon flavors, the sweet stout letting the bourbon shine. Cocoa and vanilla, a hint of roast, and strong blasts of bourbony deliciousness. Excellent.

Medium-heavy, this is definitely not thick but seems just adequate enough to match the flavors. None of the Eclipses I've tried have been really heavy, which probably helps increase drinkability.

Another great Eclipse beer, I'm now pretty much converted to them. So glad to try them.

TurdFurgison, Jan 02, 2011
4.45/5  rDev +2.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

Pours a beautiful black with a medium head. Looks great, FWIW. Smells fantastic vanilla, bourbon, oak, roast. Yum. Without tasting it, I can tell I opened the right beer to enjoy or endure the rose bowl. Taste is big bourbon, perfectly integrated into the flavor of the base beer. This base beer is so perfectly designed to be barrel aged, it just provides the perfect canvas for the various barrel flavors. Hints of the vanilla and oak, but predominantly bourbon. Fifty-fifty clear knows how to integrate is barrel flavor. Just delicious. Medium mouthfeel, not nearly as thick as some special release Big stouts, but fitting perfectly with the rest of the beer. Highly drinkable for a barrel aged stout with big flavor. I should have gotten 10 of these.

seeswo, Jan 01, 2011
4.08/5  rDev -6%

22oz into chouffe tulip thanks to largadeer. My first eclipse.

A- Creamed coffee colored head, 1cm that settles and frosts the glass very nicely. Beer is deep brown/black.

S- Nose is caramel, molasses. Gingerbread even. Hmm. Spicy, sweet.

T- Very bourbon heavy. Vanilla, oak, caramel, semisweet chocolate. Bit of smoke. Nice finish, good lingering flavors, a bit boozy in the finish.

M- Perhaps a bit thin? I could go for a bit more roastiness... but I appreciate the lack of a big char that leads to some pretty tasty bourbon notes. Lots of bourbon here.

D- Fairly high.. tasty... I'm curious to try the base beer. This one's all about the bourbon.

ShogoKawada, Dec 30, 2010

I can't see, smell taste or feel anything remotely average about this beer. it is simply exceptional. it doesn't hurt, of course, that I love imperial stout and whiskey. a combination made in so called heaven.

the 2010 vintage with a black wax top.

appears to have very little carbonation. a very thin head of medium sized bubbles rings the glass at the vertex of the beer and glass. its dark black, almost pitch black save for a relatively amber transplant edge.

smells strongly of bourbon. delicious. taste is heavy roasted malts, chocolate, coffee, honey and boozy licorice. feels great in my mouth, very sippable.

berebrando, Dec 28, 2010
4.43/5  rDev +2.1%

The only one I could get my hands on (damn, these sell out fast). With a potential/pending few trades in the work, I was excited to see what I thought of this. Had it back to back to back with Black Tuesday and Dark Lord 2009.

It isn't black, more of a dark brown. Okay, maybe blackish in its core. A surprisingly large inch or so of brownish/tan head. Actually .... kinda translucent. Very surprising. Looks thin. Hmm.... I am concern.

Smells like dark chocolate, some sticky, really sweet caramel, a bit of weird nutty liqueur notes, and just a dash of lighter sweetness. I don't know, kind of a toffee-ish muscat note.

Surprised by the amount of chocolate and vanilla in it, as it wasn't really a bourbon-y or vanilla-y beer in the nose. But, a bunch of bourbon, chocolate, vanilla, and that interesting/weird liqueur muscat aftertaste. There's almost no roast. A very sweet beer. A bit of alcohol heat, but it's a pretty clean beer.

It's a bit too thin. With a bit more body, I think there'd be almost no heat noticeable. It's smooth, quaffable, but not particularly viscous.

It's a good beer. I'm heartened by the fact that it isn't the best reviewed beer of the series, but I'm a little concerned that the base beer appears pretty thin. Then again, it seemed to have worked out pretty well for this version in terms of integrating bourbon flavors without overpowering the base.

Overlord, Dec 24, 2010
4.38/5  rDev +0.9%

Comes out black, shockingly! And the smell is, hold your breath: bourbonesque.

Licorice, bourbon, roasted nuts of the darker variety, coffee malt, slow burn to all of these variations in what is done with the coffee and chocolate malts. Was really smooth, brewer even mentioned heat, but I didn't pick up on it, thought it was plenty, to quote the Bullet Boys "Smooth Up In Ya. A little more chocolate going on than some of the other variations.

I'll be very interested to see how the bottles I have of this age over time. They're great right now. Don't hesitate if EW isn't your favorite drink, it really does well with the base beer.

Beerandraiderfan, Dec 24, 2010
4.38/5  rDev +0.9%

Thanks to Chris for sharing this, and several others. In the past two days I think I've had this four times.

A: The pour is black with a nice viscosity to it and a fairly sizable tan head.

S: Starts off with a big vanilla aroma along with tons of milk chocolate. The bourbon is very apparent, but doesn't bother me. Quite a bit of caramel, molasses, and a decent level of roasted malt character.

T: The bourbon is quite apparent here and provides some warming alcohol. Again, the chocolate and vanilla are the stars of the show, almost like chocolate milk at times. Decent caramel notes, too. Not really all that roasty, but still enough to keep it from being overbearingly sweet.

M: The body is medium with a low, smooth carbonation. Really silky on the tongue.

D: This one was a bit different bottle to bottle. Some had a bit more alcohol flavor, but most were absolutely fantastic. I'd drink this again any time.

womencantsail, Dec 24, 2010
4.3/5  rDev -0.9%

It was only a few months ago that I even heard of FiftyFifty. The beer in question was the Eclipse series and only positive things were mentioned. When I heard that some of this years batches were available in Portland, I HAD to get some. No need to wait on this to age, let's try one fresh! Onto the review!

A: Poured into a pair of Portsmouth snifters and shared with my wife TulipSnifter. The body itself is as black as any adjective can describe with ruby-brown edges. About a finger or so of light tan head dissipates to merely a ring around the inside of the glass. There's definitely some legs to this very viscous looking beer. It looks good so far. 4/5

S: We've got the bourbon showcasing itself first and foremost. I'm noticing a whole lot of vanilla and spices although I don't really find that in straight Evan Williams. I used to drink a whole lot of EW back in college mixed with Guinness in Boiler Makers. Although at the time I didn't pay much attention to the smell, I imagine that this is the gourmet version! 4.5/5

T: This is one of the best examples of balance I've seen in a Bourbon barrel aged stout to date. Not only is the barrel on the front end of the taste buds, but a lot of bitter-sweet chocolate shoulders its way forward to be noticed. The finish isn't as sticky as a lot of big stouts I've enjoyed and has the essence of some french pressed french roast. 4/5

M: Nice and thick, lowly carbonated, and as clean as it can be. This is what you call perfect! 5/5

D: Its a great beer! I enjoyed my one snifter for about two hours and was hella satisfied with just the single glass. That said, I could go for another glass! Damn good stuff here. I'm glad I have some other bottles for aging and other variations to try out, because this looks to only get better with age. 4.5/5

hopsbreath, Dec 23, 2010
3.9/5  rDev -10.1%

22 oz. bomber, #412, 2010 Vintage,

A: Pours black with a moderate tan head. Solid head retention, good lace.

S: Honeyed sweet dark chocolate, cocoa powder, vanilla, light notes of orange and citrus.

T: Malt heavy/chocolate, mild notes of roast. Bourbon is well integrated adding it's characteristic flavour. Dark fruit with a hint of charcoal in the finish with that cocoa powder note I got in the nose.

M: Medium-full body, at 9.5% it isn't a huge behemoth stout, but it's still a big beer. Smooth, creamy, spiritous finish, pleasantly alcoholic.

D: Nice beer, well made, I definitely want to see where this goes in a couple years.

Halcyondays, Dec 17, 2010
Imperial Eclipse Stout - Evan Williams Bourbon from FiftyFifty Brewing Co.