Imperial Eclipse Stout - High West Bourbon - FiftyFifty Brewing Co.

Imperial Eclipse Stout - High West BourbonImperial Eclipse Stout - High West Bourbon

FiftyFifty Brewing Co. visit their website

American Double / Imperial Stout |  11.90% ABV

Availability: Fall

(Beer added by: MasterSki on 08-26-2013)

4.6/5  rDev +11.7%

2013 vintage. Cacao and barrel all over the place. Would have liked a bit more weight on the tongue, otherwise solid brew. Price point is really high, but understood on a 300 barrel level.

4.36/5  rDev +5.8%

Dark black with asmall tan head that fades quick and alcohol legs on the glass. Oak, vanilla, milk chocolate, dark chocolate, coffee and bourbon. Really decadent aroma. Chocolate, oak, vanilla and bourbon come through on the flavors and meld together nicely. Alcohol heat is there and detracts a bit. Mouthfeel flashes with a surprising carbonation and goes creamy early in the sip and coats the palette. Overall I thought this was great. It mixes the flavors from the barrel and bourbon to the base beer very well. Smooth and delicious but a little hot.

4.33/5  rDev +5.1%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

650ml tangerine waxed bomber, bottle run #1 2013, poured into tulip 10/1/14

A I'm starting to sound like a broken record but shes black with a deep cola edge, two fingers of mocha foam slowly falls to a thick film leaving plenty of unorganized lace deep down the glass

S sweet bourbon, fruity booze, fudge and coco, licorice, vanilla, cinnamon, some wood, smells great

T some cold sweetened coffees added to the mix, a little spicy and I don't quite understand why but it works, the booze is well hidden with lots of vanilla and fudge, not sure why but I slightly prefer the nose

M medium full, creams up nicely, just a little heat but much like the other 50-50's very well concealed booze, sweet woody bourbon finish just keeps going

O this versions a little spicy, not the char I've found in the others but the mellowness works in its own way, smooth and sexy

FML I've drank some cash recently, another great beer no doubt but I feel a little dirty dropping the $$$ but I'm sure I'd have more regrets if I didn't, worth a try for sure but I need to make some friends to split the cost with

4.3/5  rDev +4.4%

4.3/5  rDev +4.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Ah, Eclipse. Every year I look forward to my shipment, though the hand-off in the cold weather of a Minnesota December always makes me sweaty. 22 oz. orange....excuse, me tangerine...bottle split with my wife.

I am happy to say that the orange...tangerine wax of this year's bottles is slightly less hard than the setting concrete of year's past, it's almost fun to peel off. Nose is a bit light compared to other years & variants. More chocolate than anything else, light vanilla bean (three of them), & I swear I can smell the wood.

Imperial Eclipse Stout - High West has callouses on its hands. First impression is that this is harsh, an Eclipse with a biting edge of boozy whiskey that's nowhere apparent in its brothers (& sisters). There's a spicy mule-kick that hints at rye, & if I knew more about bourbon I'd know, but I'll wager these are rye barrels. Or I'm just wrong. Chocolate, wild honey, mild sweetness, with a ton of wood that sucks the moisture from my palate. Dry tongue. Swift kick of alcohol. But that spiciness really yips this up a notch. I could suck this down like oysters on the half-shell.

Before it warmed, this beer left me cold & indifferent. Once it closed in on room temperature, my meter went close to ninety degrees. Bloody hell, one excellent beer.

Imperial Eclipse Stout - High West Bourbon from FiftyFifty Brewing Co.