1. Extreme Beer Fest tickets go on sale Sat, Sep 27 @ Noon EDT.

Imperial Eclipse Stout - High West Bourbon - FiftyFifty Brewing Co.

Imperial Eclipse Stout - High West BourbonImperial Eclipse Stout - High West Bourbon

FiftyFifty Brewing Co. visit their website

American Double / Imperial Stout |  11.90% ABV

(Beer added by: MasterSki on 08-26-2013)

BradleySig, Feb 13, 2014

JohnParadee, Feb 13, 2014

Moses_Malone, Feb 11, 2014
4.01/5  rDev -2.9%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

Pours a dark, dark brown colored ale with a big foamy head and a touch of lacing through the session.

Nice bourbon aroma combined with sweet chocolate whiff intertwined with honey. Woody, nutty, molasses, toasted oak. Reminds me of most of the others in the series.

Taste is slightly spicy with the bourbon up front followed by the stout flavor kicking in on the swallow. Smooth drink but not up to par on the some of the other barrel blends. A little more on the char side. Not as sweet as some of the others which I find as a plus.

Overall, this is a solid beer but not one of my favorites for the series. Maybe it's the bourbon barrel used. Not sure. Oh it's good, but just didn't spark anything in me that some of the others have. Have one more chillin and will wait for about 6 months and see what happens.

kaseydad, Feb 09, 2014
4.2/5  rDev +1.7%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

22oz, 2013
Mini snifter

A: Dark brown leading the pitch black appearance in the glass. You get a thin layer of light tan tight bubbled head. Doesn't stick around for a long time. Alcohol feet.

S: Getting much more vanilla than with the HW Rye that we drank just prior to this. Less spice obviously as well. Dark chocolate. Fudge notes. Dry oak. Booze.

T: Taste follows the smells. Boozy dark chocolate fudge. Vanilla and oak meshing in nicely toward the mid palate. Lingering flavors of cocoa. Long finish. Opens up with warmth.

M: Full bodied and creamy.

inlimbo77, Feb 05, 2014

GraduatedCashew, Feb 03, 2014

Gregg_Kawakami, Feb 03, 2014

daleyke, Feb 03, 2014
4.3/5  rDev +4.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Ah, Eclipse. Every year I look forward to my shipment, though the hand-off in the cold weather of a Minnesota December always makes me sweaty. 22 oz. orange....excuse, me tangerine...bottle split with my wife.

I am happy to say that the orange...tangerine wax of this year's bottles is slightly less hard than the setting concrete of year's past, it's almost fun to peel off. Nose is a bit light compared to other years & variants. More chocolate than anything else, light vanilla bean (three of them), & I swear I can smell the wood.

Imperial Eclipse Stout - High West has callouses on its hands. First impression is that this is harsh, an Eclipse with a biting edge of boozy whiskey that's nowhere apparent in its brothers (& sisters). There's a spicy mule-kick that hints at rye, & if I knew more about bourbon I'd know, but I'll wager these are rye barrels. Or I'm just wrong. Chocolate, wild honey, mild sweetness, with a ton of wood that sucks the moisture from my palate. Dry tongue. Swift kick of alcohol. But that spiciness really yips this up a notch. I could suck this down like oysters on the half-shell.

Before it warmed, this beer left me cold & indifferent. Once it closed in on room temperature, my meter went close to ninety degrees. Bloody hell, one excellent beer.

maximum12, Feb 01, 2014

djrn2, Jan 20, 2014

ckollias, Jan 19, 2014
4.24/5  rDev +2.7%

Batch 1, 2013.

A: Pitch, pitch black pour. Tall and very dense dark brown head. Head fades out very slowly with thin solid sheets of lacing. Great head retention.

S: Nice sweet bourbon aroma. Toasted sugar, caramel and a little oak. Maybe even brown sugar and honey? Did I mention it's sweet and sugary? Touch of char and chocolate but mainly it's the bourbon talking here.

T: Again, bourbon up front. Lots of oak here now with a decent backing of toasted sugar and toffee maybe? Sweet milk chocolate with an alcohol sting to it in the middle. Touch of honey. Oak is way stronger than expected and persists through to the finish. Aftertaste is almost pure drying oak with just a touch of bittersweet cocoa and even more bitter coffee beans.

M: Medium heavy bodied. Pretty smooth with just a small sting of alcohol in the finish. Quite dry from all the oak.

O: Hmph, not a bad variant. Heavy on the oak, maybe a little too much. Not bad, just needs a little less oak and a little more bourbon and this would be golden.

Dope, Jan 16, 2014

July2Nov, Jan 15, 2014

KevT, Jan 14, 2014

BMart, Jan 13, 2014

Invictus, Jan 11, 2014
4.33/5  rDev +4.8%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

650ml tangerine waxed bomber, bottle run #1 2013, poured into tulip 10/1/14

A I'm starting to sound like a broken record but shes black with a deep cola edge, two fingers of mocha foam slowly falls to a thick film leaving plenty of unorganized lace deep down the glass

S sweet bourbon, fruity booze, fudge and coco, licorice, vanilla, cinnamon, some wood, smells great

T some cold sweetened coffees added to the mix, a little spicy and I don't quite understand why but it works, the booze is well hidden with lots of vanilla and fudge, not sure why but I slightly prefer the nose

M medium full, creams up nicely, just a little heat but much like the other 50-50's very well concealed booze, sweet woody bourbon finish just keeps going

O this versions a little spicy, not the char I've found in the others but the mellowness works in its own way, smooth and sexy

FML I've drank some cash recently, another great beer no doubt but I feel a little dirty dropping the $$$ but I'm sure I'd have more regrets if I didn't, worth a try for sure but I need to make some friends to split the cost with

wordemupg, Jan 11, 2014

ShanePB, Jan 06, 2014

KristineT, Jan 05, 2014
Imperial Eclipse Stout - High West Bourbon from FiftyFifty Brewing Co.