Drake Tail India Pale Ale - AleWerks Brewing Company

Drake Tail India Pale AleDrake Tail India Pale Ale

good

AleWerks Brewing Company visit their website
Virginia, United States

(Beer added by: Westsidethreat on 11-08-2006)
Reviews by slusk:
3.63/5  rDev -1.1%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

A: Pours an ever so slight hazy copper with a nice creamy dense white head. Good lacing, good retention.

S: Predominant grapefruit and citrus aroma with a citrusy orange malt note coming through. slight bit of candied ginger.

T: Grapefruit, pine and citrus in the forefront with a mild earthy hop underbelly. A mild orange malt sweetness fills in the background and fades fairly quickly. Nice lingering bitterness of grapefruit and an ever so slight green apple with a bit of bread crust late in a dry finish. I suspect being a pale beer, the Orange notes are coming from a hops addition.

M: Medium carbonation, not too overpowering. Doesn't bite the tongue. Medium light body with a slight oily finish.

O: Very good example of the style. The hop bitterness is nice and the hops are clean and fresh tasting. The malt notes are a bit underwhelming for my taste. I like a clean separation between the hop bite and the malt presence, the lines are a bit blurred in this area. All I all, It's a well done beer. I myself like a slight bit more malt presence but it's just a matter of personal preference. Still a really nice brew.

3.65/5  rDev -0.5%

First off, as a Boston area transplant to southwest Virginia I'm always rooting for Virginia breweries to succeed and produce quality beers. That said I was pleased to see the AleWerks beers on the shelves of several area beer shops the past few weeks, and after tasting the Drake Trail Ale consider myself a fan.

Poured a 12 ounce bottle into a pint glass and was immediately encouraged by the thickness of the ale and head. I'm not sure what to call it, but I love seeing big old bubbles rolling in the glass as I pour. The head is a thick thumb, and maintains a layer to the bottom of the glass while leaving some sticky thin lacing on the glass. Color is dark and reddish with some slight haze.

Smell is almost all malt, caramel and some toasty biscuit notes, as well as some faint piney hops. This does not translate much at all to the flavor, which was far more bitter than sweet. The caramel flavor does remain some, and I'd describe the hops as piney and floral. As others noticed, balance is not really optimal, but better to err in this direction than the other.

The mouthfeel is thick and chewy, which may turn some off but is just the way I like it. I'm impressed that it was 7.5%; alcohol is hidden by the bitterness, which I imagine I would get used to if sessioning with this beer. Got this 6-pack as a Beer of the Month Club purchase, but will certainly go back to it. Nice job.

3.58/5  rDev -2.5%

12 ounce bottle, no freshness info to be had.

Pours near clear, with a slight yeast haze, lighter honey amber, light tan head, minor in nature and leaving some fine spots and tongues of lacing.

Soft herbal hoppy nose.

Pretty well hopped IPA. Hop character is again on the herbal/earthy side. Malt under coating is adequate to nearly balance things out. 7.5% is well hidden and does not get in the way of the enjoyment.

Workable IPA in a just slightly better then middle of the road sort of way.

4.13/5  rDev +12.5%

Got this and a few others while visting Colonial Williamsburg.

Has a nice deep reddish amber hue (Not exactly the palest pale ale.) and a monsterous head that never really goes away. Abundant lacing.

I got a nose full of hops here.

Starts out with green apples, a malty middle and a nice hoppy finish. Viscous mouthfeel and average carbonation.

Definitely would be a repeat buy if I lived in Virginia.

4.22/5  rDev +15%

A- slightly cloudy orange in color with a two finger head

S- Citrus, piney, hoppy. Very nice and earthy smell

T- Strong citrus taste, hoppy and flural mouthful.

D- Would be great cold on a warm day. smooth and refreshing.

serving type as on tap in a sample glass

3.53/5  rDev -3.8%

Poured a nice golden yellow with decent head and lace. Pleasant hoppy pine aroma. Wow the bitter hop smack, which is saying something in the overcrowded hoppy beer flea market that is our current situation. Great follow on flavor refreshingly washes your cares down. Nice balance of carbonation and chewiness. I really liked this tasty beer.

3.13/5  rDev -14.7%

The Drake Tail IPA from AleWerks was purchased from Vulcan Beverages in Birmingham. This beer was medium copper color with thin white head that appears to be lacing. The smell is subtle...not much going on...slight hints of malt and citrus. The taste is heavy with malt counterbalanced with hops...both in an attempt to mask the high ABV. The mouthfeel is downgraded due to the higher ABV....one would be plenty for me.

3.38/5  rDev -7.9%

Batch Code: 10 23 10. I'll assume that's a date. There's a slightly soapy, possibly oxidized, grapefruit aroma. The flavor does much better, with biting grapefruit and a peppery rind finish. As it warms, I think I detect diacetyl, maybe that's what I was smelling. This beer actually got worse as it warmed - not a good sign. Still, I like the hop profile and IBU level they've got going here.

4.38/5  rDev +19.3%

This beer is fresh, straight from the brewery store. It pours a light copper, very clear and clean looking, into a pint glass. There is a minimal head, but very nice lace retention.

The aroma is mostly flowery hops. The taste is hoppy, but not overwhelming. It is more of a balanced effort, along the lines of a victory hop devil but with less malt. I really enjoy the flavor.

The mouthfeel is very crisp, clean, and refreshing. It's not a conspicuous example of an IPA, but it does its job and does it well. Extremely drinkable, and I think I'll try a growler of it the next time I'm at the brewery.

3.51/5  rDev -4.4%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

3.8/5  rDev +3.5%

Big thanks goes out to breweryaprntc13 for giving me a bottle of this as a gift at Sexual Chocolate '11! Served from bottle into a Stone nonic. Poured yellow-orange with a three finger off-white head that subsided to one finger slowly. Maintained excellent lacing throughout the glass. The aroma was comprised of sweet malt, caramel, citrus, and bitter hops. The flavor was of sweet malt, caramel, citrus, and caramel hop. It had a medium feel on the palate with mild carbonation. Overall this was a pretty good IPA. The flavor on this one was quite nice and had a decent aroma. With that said, this wasn't my favorite IPA I have ever had, but it wasn't bad either. The caramel hop was different giving kind of a sweet bitterness that I was not used to. I would suggest this to others to try.

Drake Tail India Pale Ale from AleWerks Brewing Company