Red Marker Ale - AleWerks Brewing Company

Virginia, United States

American Amber / Red Ale |  5.00% ABV

Beer added by: Riverwarrior on 05-12-2008

2.09/5  rDev -35.1%

got as a gift from my parents trip to williamsburg so i was excited to try this one, but i am not impresed, this one poured a dark amber color with a 3 finger head on it, the taste is watery, and a bad combanation of dry sour and then rough bitter and an aftertaste that just wont quit, i taste lemon in the middle witch is the only thing that i liked in this beer at all, this is almost a drain pour but i maneged to choke all of this one down (444 characters)

2.26/5  rDev -29.8%

Appearance: Looks good with a dark red/brownish color. No head at all, and no lacing. Appears to have no carbonation whatsoever.

Smell: A little of malts, roasted nuts and chocolate, but smells like they let it burn and scraped some off the bottom.

Taste: Sour at first, but gets better after it breaths. Looks aren't deceiving in that there is a definite lack of carbonation. They definitelly let some of the ingredients cook too long.

Mouthfeel: Feels thin and once again, lack of carbonation makes it taste flat.

Drinkability: Living close to Williamsburg in Chesapeake, I really wanted to like this beer since it is a local. But I feel I wasted the $8.50 on this 6 pack and I'm wondering how I'm going to choke the other 5 down. Strongly considered pouring it all out, but I can't abuse alcohol like that. Let's just say I won't buy it again... EVER! (862 characters)

2.28/5  rDev -29.2%

A: Dark redish-copper color. Poured to an almost non-existent head.

S: A faint tart smell.

T: An almost ice tea flavor with a slight lemon finish.

M: Some carbonation, which is a little surprising considering the dull appearance of the beer. Fairly light bodied.

D: Not at all what I expected from an American Amber. It might make a decent summer beer because of the tartness, but nothing I'll ever buy again.

Served: in a standard pint glass. (448 characters)

2.46/5  rDev -23.6%

Wish all the best for the Williamsburg AleWerks but this beer needs reworking.

Cloying, sweet, acidic aftertaste ruins what starts off as a reasonable combination of color and carbonation. What hop flavor is present is quickly wrecked by finish. Thought I might have a bad bottle , but another one confirmed the problem.

I won't buy again. (341 characters)

2.52/5  rDev -21.7%

12 oz bottle poured into a nonic.

Maybe I had a bad bottle of this (though I doubt it), but this was bad. Appearance is an average brown copper color, hazed with an un-retentive tan head that leaves no lace a thin crown. Aroma is the worst part of this, very sweet, slightly medicinal, I don't want to think much more about this, but whatever it was, it's not natural. Flavor is average, bready and malty with a mild, dry hop flavor throughout, but my mind might being playing tricks on me on distinguishing how sweet the flavor is compared to the aroma. This was hard to finish the bottle, blindly I never would have called this an amber, I probably would have pegged the style as an American drain pour. (706 characters)

2.59/5  rDev -19.6%

12 oz bottle (no date but purchased 2 days ago) served in a snifter.
An unusual amount of ressure released by uncapping. Pours dark and murky red-brown in color, hazy and with an over-sized, creamy tan head that has excellent retention and leaves the glass well coated with lacing.
Aroma: infected?
Flavor: better than the nose and drinkable, but still poor.
Feel: soft and smooth with high carbonation.

O: possible infected, making 2 out of 3 (all different beers) for me from this brewer. Should re-visit but the lack of quality control discourages that. (561 characters)

2.61/5  rDev -18.9%

The pour was a deep amber reddish color, very pretty and clear. The head was about a thumb thick and left pretty tight lacing on the edges of my glass.

aromas of hop spice, nothing overwhelming and very smooth.

taste is sharply bitter and a little sour, the bitterness drowns out anything else that might be going on.

very light and very bitter

This beer looked and smelled better than it tasted. I don't think I'd go for another. (434 characters)

2.65/5  rDev -17.7%

A: Poured from a bottle to a pint glass. Had a light amber color and a clear consistency. There was a small amount of foamy head that quickly dissipated. Very little lacing.

S: A weird, slightly off-putting aroma of malt, hops and a soapy quality.

T: Tasted of some malt, piney hops, and that same soapy quality. Not a very appetizing flavor. Unfocused and a bit on the thin side.

M: A good amount of carbonation with a dry finish. Medium-bodied.

O: This is definitely not a very memorable beer. Could have been better than it was. (535 characters)

2.7/5  rDev -16.1%

12oz bottle poored into a pilsner glass.

Comes off a hazey brown almost icetea like color with some red tints when held up to the light. Small quickly dispersing head that left some patchy foam floating around the top. Smell is of a toasted sweet malt hint of grassy hop and possibley candied plump. Taste has some malt sweetness slight hop bitterness and a poor fruit tone. It also has a slight chemical/acidic aftertaste. On the thin side for a red ale, and with everything considered it wasn't the easiest beer to finish. (525 characters)

2.7/5  rDev -16.1%

Okay, I got this bottle with the White Ale that was sent to me from a friend. I was very hesitant to drink it after my experience with the White Ale from the same brewery. So here goes... The pour is a reddish color, very pretty and clear. The head isn't much with not much lacing. Aroma is caramelly and maybe a little spice. Taste is that great. Kinda sour. This beer looked and smelled the part but ultimately it didn't taste great. (435 characters)

2.7/5  rDev -16.1%

A: Crystal clear, red color, with a nice tight bubbled (ala. nitro-tap) head that lingered throughout the session.

S: Melted "Astro Pop," with a bit of hoppy fruit in the mix as well.

T: The front part of the beer is great. Candy sugar, hops, and even a bit of vanilla. The aftertaste borders on tragic - bitter, rusted metal and then some.

M: Bitter, bitter, bitter.... on the aftertaste (which ruined the whole experience for me). The carbonation was fine and dandy, but I honestly didn't care.

O: This is one of those rare beers that a small tweak would make all the difference in the world. Here's to hoping... (618 characters)

2.75/5  rDev -14.6%

Poured into a pint glass. Bottle.

3.25 A: Clear deep amber brown color. One and a half fingers of frothy off-white head. Retention is below average but a short ring of lacing is left.

3.5 S: Definitely hop forward. Floral with some early citrus notes. A touch of earthy hops underneath. Caramel maltiness with toastiness and a touch of cracker.

2.75 T: The taste is poorly balanced for an amber ale. There's not enough malt character. Moderate bitterness with a touch of tanginess to it. Earthy mountain stream component. There's some caramel and toastiness again, but it's not strong enough and it comes off as slightly watery.

2.5 M: Lighter watery body. It could use a touch more carbonation. Lacking creaminess too. Not a big fan here.

2.75 D: It's not horrible, but it's well below average for the style. (832 characters)

2.83/5  rDev -12.1%

Pours a decent slight copper color with tinges of orange; has a bit of initial head, but no lacing. Decent scent, some malt sweetness, but nothing sticks out. Same with the taste, a very bland, although not bad, flavor; some decent sweet malt grains and notmuch else. Went down fine. I would not turn this beer down, but I would never buy it myself. The lowest of the AleWerks brews I've tried. (394 characters)

2.83/5  rDev -12.1%

A new red ale (for me) from a new brewery (for me), a 12 oz. bottle sent by Metalmonk - a local for him, but certainly not one I'd find out here in Oregon. Batch code: '087037', for whatever that's worth.

A: Hmmm... well on the 'amber' side, it's almost crimson - a ruddy brown, that's exceedingly muddy-looking. One of the LEAST-filtered beers I've seen. A little carbonation hugs the nfringes, but I have no idea what's going on inside the murky core. Nice head, a light khaki 1/2-finger topping of cream

S: Sweeter and fruitier smell than I expected, quite malty and almost dessert-like. A glazed doughnut or citrus/sugar encrusted scone, maybe some 'breakfast cereal', too. Not sure that this was the point, but not a 'turn-off', truth be told...

T: Definitely on the malty/sweet side, tea-like and seemingly 'aged'... or just pedestrian tasting. A 'fresh' send from Virginia (arrived mere days ago), but who knows just how 'fresh' this really is. Flavors of red apple, baked (slightly dark) wheat, toasted walnuts and a little orange-citrus.

M: Really weak feel: seems to be 3/4 ale, 1/4 water. Carbonation seems scarce, but the feel still holds some 'crispness', thanks to a gentle hop spiciness.

D: Despite the muddy, unfiltered appearance, not a bad beer to look at, nor to smell. Taste and feel are definitely 'off' though, and so it's with some hesitation I'm even posting a review. If someone knows what the batch code means -and it proves to be well past due -I'm happy to rescind or modify my review. As such, though, not very good. (1,552 characters)

Poured from the brewery fresh bottle into my new Williamsburg AleWerks pint glass. Side note: I tried all the brews from the Alewerks and they all shared a common taste, even between styles. Must be te water. Anyway, poured a murky reddish brown. Aroma of mostly malt with just a touch of hops. I'm thinking like a 4:1 ratio. Kind of reminded me of old school Killians. Just your basic red. (391 characters)

3.03/5  rDev -5.9%

I poured this beer into my tumbler at 45 degrees. The beer was a very dark red color. The head was tan and I thought I was in for a great beer. The beer was smooth with a malty finish. But it also had a chemically aftertaste also that was not very good. The beer actually was very watered down tasting I thought. Like someone had actually added water to it. I will noyt buy again. (380 characters)

3.06/5  rDev -5%

Pours a dark browning red with a huge off white head. The smell is zesty and citrus, with some yeast and malt notes. Starts sour with zesty citrus tones, followed by some slight malt flavor, but the zest is the drive of this beer. The aftertaste is a little bitter with some sweet. The malt flavor really comes out in the aftertaste after a couple sips. The taste is odd, not necessarily what I would call an amber, more like a sour beer. The mouthfeel is medium/light with plenty of carbonation, and could use better balance. This is an ok drinker, interesting flavors kept me intrigued but not something I would get regularly. (628 characters)

3.08/5  rDev -4.3%

A- Poured out a cark ale, more of a brown/caramel color

S- Slight hops with a slight citrus.

T- a little bit of a roasted malt taste, with a slight bitter and hoppy taste.

D- A very potent after taste, but very smooth to drink

All in all not a bad beer. (259 characters)

3.08/5  rDev -4.3%

Poured from a 12 ounce bottle, this beer is clear, brownish-amber, and presents a very small head. Clarity and color are quite nice. The smell is a mix of lightly roasted, biscuity malt and herbal hops. Modest aroma. The flavor is balanced, with a notable bitter finish. Hop flavor is muted in favor of bitterness. Some slickness in the mouthfeel, but otherwise medium in body. Balanced, semi-dry beer. The beer seems like something of a throwback...to fifteen or twenty years ago when every small brewery seemed to make a similar 'red ale'. (541 characters)

3.08/5  rDev -4.3%

Deep brown, maybe slight red notes. A brownie batter color (though the beer is not opaque). Kinda pleasant to my eyes. Off-white head, not too much of it. A little bit of drapery lacing, but not much. The head is certainly nothing to write home about.

A clean nose, nothing really stands out. Whiffs of dough / yeast, a slight citrus twang, caramel malt.

Some caramel sweetness - caramel malt hovers to varying degrees throughout the taste. Dark toast is predominant note, to my mind. Indistinct tangy bittering comes in at the end, is not insubstantial. I'm not sure how I feel about the finish.

Light to medium in body, with lots of tiny, prickly CO2. I'm not huge on the carbonation, but a slightly chewy feel fits - to my mind - the toast aspect of the brew. (765 characters)

3.12/5  rDev -3.1%

Pours an amber color with reddish highlights. Weak off white head, and minimal lacing on my snifter. The nose is bread, toast, caramel malt, and slight hops. Not bad. Taste is the same profile, but it's a little watered down in the taste department. Feel is medium, with malt roast coming through the most. Overall, an ok beer with several flaws. Cheers. (354 characters)

3.13/5  rDev -2.8%

On Tap poured into a pint glass.

Look: Dark Amber with a dirty white head, two fingers thick but quickly settles. Medium to thick lacing.

Aroma: Caramel comes on strong, hint of a hop smell, with some earthy notes and a slight chocolate finish.

Taste: Smooth caramel with surprisingly bitter hops finish. Dark roasted malts are subtle underneath the caramel giving it hints of possibly coffee flavor.

Mouthfeel: Light body with low to medium carbonation.

Drinkability: Not the best beer I've had from AleWerks but it makes for a great session beer. None of the flavors come on too strong and overall it is great to share a pitcher with friends. (649 characters)

3.15/5  rDev -2.2%

Beer pours a medium brown color with some ruby highlights, small head is present and dissipates quickly, no t much lacing left in glass. Smell is of toasted malt with some slight caramel notes. Taste was of toasted malt with a subdued malty sweetness. Virtually no hop aroma. Mouth feel was average for the style, not too heavy.

A decent beer if you like amber ales, one of my least favorite styles. Nothing stands out here but not a badly made beer. (451 characters)

3.17/5  rDev -1.6%

Standard pour from 12 oz. bottle into a nonic pint. Beer is a slightly hazy dark amber-brown capped by a two fingers tan head with short retention, leaving a light film on top. Lacing, however is quite good.

Aroma is roasted malts with earthy and citric hop notes. Not heavily aromatic, but fairly nice.

Flavor is not nearly as malty as one might expect from the style. There's a distinct nature of toasted (even burnt) malts, some nutty, some bread-y, but no real caramel-like sweetness. A somewhat steely hoppy bitterness follows, but even on the short finish the aftertaste is still dominated by the toasted bread-crust like flavors. Not unpleasant, mind, just rather one-dimensional.

Mouthfeel is light and water-y. Carbonation is rather light. I don't see an ABV on the bottle, but according to the site it's 5%, and that seems about right.

Overall I'm a little puzzled by this one... I can't help but feel like I'm drinking half a beer for some reason. Mind you, what's here is quite good, and it's a very easy-drinking beer, and there's no obnoxious flavors that would lead one to believe there's bad brewing involved... but I feel like there's a decided lack of complexity. American Amber Ales are known for bread-y and biscuit-like characteristics (see: Fat Tire) but I feel a little something extra should be here to give this a lift. As it is, it's good, if not terribly exciting. (1,408 characters)

3.18/5  rDev -1.2%

12 oz. bottle into a pint glass.

Appearance: A nice not-surprisingly amber color with good carbonation, a billowing yet lacing-leaving head, in spots more than clumps.

Smell: Roasted malts and hops with some sourness and citrus, along with a mild hint of burnt sugar and funk, which adds a weird element I'm not sure is supposed to be there, though it's interesting.

Taste: Too mild in the roasted malt and hops categories, with a sourness that seems to dominated and mask the other flavors. Finish is too sour and hoppy and masks and semblance of sugar or malt, and brings it down to a subtle hardly-reminiscent version of the style.

Mouthfeel: Too watery and slick, with too little carbonation to bring out the flavors.

Drinkability: Maybe the weakest effort I've had thus far by Williamsburg, as I've enjoyed the rest quite a bit. There's something off here, a weird off-balance weirdness to the brew, and I'm not sure why it exists. I can't say I didn't enjoy it, but I certainly can't say I was craving another after I was done. (1,041 characters)

Red Marker Ale from AleWerks Brewing Company