Red Marker Ale - AleWerks Brewing Company

Red Marker AleRed Marker Ale

AleWerks Brewing Company visit their website
Virginia, United States

American Amber / Red Ale |  5.00% ABV

(Beer added by: Riverwarrior on 05-12-2008)

AndrewMichael, Jan 26, 2012

whallgren, Dec 04, 2011

DoctorB2B, Nov 20, 2011
3.85/5  rDev +18.1%

On tap at the Black Bear Bistro in Warrenton, VA

Very nice ruby amber color

Generally a good balance between malty and bitter hops, which is exactly what I want in this style of beer. Lacks the complexity for a higher rating, but certainly worth drinking.

I have also had this in a bottle, much better on tap.

jfmorey, Nov 05, 2011
3.25/5  rDev -0.3%

Poured from Growler filled by the kind people at Williamsburg Alewerks.... into a 16 oz pint glass.

A: Pours a nice dark copper color.. 2 fingers of big fluffy head.. that settles to a nice layer and ring... wonderful lacing from start to finish.

A: Right up front I'm getting sweet roasted malt.. hint of caramel and a little grassy hops.

T: Sweet caramel malt right up front, quickly changes over to a grassy hops mid palette and finishes with the bitter hops.

M: Mid bodied and a little oily from the hops.. Carbonation is pretty light.

O: Not a bad little Red... Little more hops than I'm used too in a red but not bad... ABV is good so this could be a good session beer it you liked it...

mralphabet, Sep 28, 2011
2.65/5  rDev -18.7%

A: Poured from a bottle to a pint glass. Had a light amber color and a clear consistency. There was a small amount of foamy head that quickly dissipated. Very little lacing.

S: A weird, slightly off-putting aroma of malt, hops and a soapy quality.

T: Tasted of some malt, piney hops, and that same soapy quality. Not a very appetizing flavor. Unfocused and a bit on the thin side.

M: A good amount of carbonation with a dry finish. Medium-bodied.

O: This is definitely not a very memorable beer. Could have been better than it was.

avalon07, Sep 24, 2011

Poured from the brewery fresh bottle into my new Williamsburg AleWerks pint glass. Side note: I tried all the brews from the Alewerks and they all shared a common taste, even between styles. Must be te water. Anyway, poured a murky reddish brown. Aroma of mostly malt with just a touch of hops. I'm thinking like a 4:1 ratio. Kind of reminded me of old school Killians. Just your basic red.

rdub, Aug 12, 2011
3.88/5  rDev +19%

12 oz, Found this at the Grapevine in Fort Mill. Hope it's not too old, no idea on dating.
Poured a fairly vibrant red, very thin layer of white head. Doesn't retain and does not lace to well.

Very malty aroma, light leather and treacle. Lighter cocoa. Candied sugar also, pretty sweet. I could see how people would not like that, but for me it's fine.

Taste has much balancing hop presence. Piney and lightly spicey herbal hops equally present with solid caramel malt and peat, leather, some cocoa.

Heavy side of light bodied. Coats very well for a smaller beer. Carbonation more present in the mouth than appearance. Could drink a bunch of this no problem.

I must have got a newer bottler, none of the negative qualities described previously were found for me.

Bung, Aug 06, 2011
3.5/5  rDev +7.4%

Pours an brownish amber color with a little head. Head fades fast due to it's loose structure and not much in way of lacing on the glass.

aroma is mostly of malts.

Taste is lightly malty with some biscuit at end.

Mouthfeel is medium and has a slight bitter finish. Carbonation is light.

An OK beer but I don't think I'd buy it again. Seems to lack flavor and is slightly weak. Some more hops for balancing would be good.

micromaniac129, Jul 23, 2011
3.08/5  rDev -5.5%

Poured from a 12 ounce bottle, this beer is clear, brownish-amber, and presents a very small head. Clarity and color are quite nice. The smell is a mix of lightly roasted, biscuity malt and herbal hops. Modest aroma. The flavor is balanced, with a notable bitter finish. Hop flavor is muted in favor of bitterness. Some slickness in the mouthfeel, but otherwise medium in body. Balanced, semi-dry beer. The beer seems like something of a throwback...to fifteen or twenty years ago when every small brewery seemed to make a similar 'red ale'.

Suds, Jun 26, 2011
2.6/5  rDev -20.2%

A: Crystal clear, red color, with a nice tight bubbled (ala. nitro-tap) head that lingered throughout the session.

S: Melted "Astro Pop," with a bit of hoppy fruit in the mix as well.

T: The front part of the beer is great. Candy sugar, hops, and even a bit of vanilla. The aftertaste borders on tragic - bitter, rusted metal and then some.

M: Bitter, bitter, bitter.... on the aftertaste (which ruined the whole experience for me). The carbonation was fine and dandy, but I honestly didn't care.

O: This is one of those rare beers that a small tweak would make all the difference in the world. Here's to hoping...

Chaney, Apr 24, 2011
3.1/5  rDev -4.9%

A- Poured out a cark ale, more of a brown/caramel color

S- Slight hops with a slight citrus.

T- a little bit of a roasted malt taste, with a slight bitter and hoppy taste.

D- A very potent after taste, but very smooth to drink

All in all not a bad beer.

7UCK, Feb 22, 2011
2.83/5  rDev -13.2%

A new red ale (for me) from a new brewery (for me), a 12 oz. bottle sent by Metalmonk - a local for him, but certainly not one I'd find out here in Oregon. Batch code: '087037', for whatever that's worth.

A: Hmmm... well on the 'amber' side, it's almost crimson - a ruddy brown, that's exceedingly muddy-looking. One of the LEAST-filtered beers I've seen. A little carbonation hugs the nfringes, but I have no idea what's going on inside the murky core. Nice head, a light khaki 1/2-finger topping of cream

S: Sweeter and fruitier smell than I expected, quite malty and almost dessert-like. A glazed doughnut or citrus/sugar encrusted scone, maybe some 'breakfast cereal', too. Not sure that this was the point, but not a 'turn-off', truth be told...

T: Definitely on the malty/sweet side, tea-like and seemingly 'aged'... or just pedestrian tasting. A 'fresh' send from Virginia (arrived mere days ago), but who knows just how 'fresh' this really is. Flavors of red apple, baked (slightly dark) wheat, toasted walnuts and a little orange-citrus.

M: Really weak feel: seems to be 3/4 ale, 1/4 water. Carbonation seems scarce, but the feel still holds some 'crispness', thanks to a gentle hop spiciness.

D: Despite the muddy, unfiltered appearance, not a bad beer to look at, nor to smell. Taste and feel are definitely 'off' though, and so it's with some hesitation I'm even posting a review. If someone knows what the batch code means -and it proves to be well past due -I'm happy to rescind or modify my review. As such, though, not very good.

msubulldog25, Feb 21, 2011
3.45/5  rDev +5.8%

Really like the looks of this beer...a deep mahogany red, just glorious, with a tan head that isn't the hugest, but certainly has amazing staying power. Add to that attractive slashes of lace, well, even if it's not the greatest beer in the world, it was almost worth the price (not much) for looks alone.

Smell is very candy-like vibe, big gooey caramel meets cherry taffy. Seriously, if you twisted caramel- and cherry-flavored taffies together, this is what you'd get.

Rich flavor, still candy-like, with hops being rather straightforward even amidst the malt-based, those hops taking on a mild citrus character. The balance of sweet and bitter is quite good. Only caveat is this has tell-tale signs of malt having been burnt in the boil. It's a tricky flavor to grapple with, the tongue having to decide with the brain whether this is char (nah...), toasted grains (too polite) or, yes, okay, something burnt. But then, it could just be my imagination and maybe they're using some severely roasted grain to begin with. The fiery color makes me wonder even more. I like the mystery going on here, and I like the taste.

Smooth carbonation, soft bubbles, the feel is a compromise between bubble attack and a nice velvety caress.

If you can accept the burnt flavor as a "unique personality trait" and not a "character flaw" then you'll like this beer. I'm okay with it. Maybe I'm feeling benevolent tonight, but this is actually a good, unique, quaffable brew with its own personality.

Metalmonk, Feb 07, 2011
2.68/5  rDev -17.8%

Okay, I got this bottle with the White Ale that was sent to me from a friend. I was very hesitant to drink it after my experience with the White Ale from the same brewery. So here goes... The pour is a reddish color, very pretty and clear. The head isn't much with not much lacing. Aroma is caramelly and maybe a little spice. Taste is that great. Kinda sour. This beer looked and smelled the part but ultimately it didn't taste great.

MayLattimore, Feb 02, 2011
3.5/5  rDev +7.4%

Reviewed from notes.

Pours a moderate amber color with a two-finger off white head. Decent recent but fails to create any lacing. The nose is fairly one dimensional, mostly consisting of some mildly-toasted bread. There are some faint, earthy hops in there as well. The taste adds in a bit of a caramel touch along with fresh dough and toast. Slight bitterness and moderately dry. Medium body and a bit chewy with somewhat high carbonation levels. Drinks fairly well. Not their best, but solid nonetheless.

Thorpe429, Oct 21, 2010
3.33/5  rDev +2.1%

Pours a deep reddish brown with a mediocre head. The aroma is malty and firm, with a little cinnamon behind it. The flavor is malty and mildly spicy, with some cinnamon and nutmeg, and a little broad, woody bitterness on the finish. Not a terribly complex beer, but not terrible either.

Seanibus, Sep 11, 2010
2.58/5  rDev -20.9%

The pour was a deep amber reddish color, very pretty and clear. The head was about a thumb thick and left pretty tight lacing on the edges of my glass.

aromas of hop spice, nothing overwhelming and very smooth.

taste is sharply bitter and a little sour, the bitterness drowns out anything else that might be going on.

very light and very bitter

This beer looked and smelled better than it tasted. I don't think I'd go for another.

afordney, Aug 09, 2010
3.48/5  rDev +6.7%

Pours a brown amber with nice tan/white head that fades to nice lacing fairly quick. Bit darker than expected/wanted for an amber.
Smell is toasted malts with a hint of hop to the finish, but it is mostly toasted malt.
Taste follows the nose. Almost entirely toasted biscuit malt with some sweetness to it as well with a touch of hops to the finish. Hops are a bit fruity and floral.
Mouth and drink are both nice. As it should be with a bit oily mouth in the finish but still pretty dry.

Bottle might not be the freshest, as I would expect more hop notes to it, but still a solid beer. A bit more ESB like than Amber IMO, but either way well crafted sessionable beer.

Pinto21, Aug 08, 2010
3.65/5  rDev +12%

Presentation: 12 oz. brown bottle, no dating that I could find, poured into a pint glass.

Appearance: Pours a deep dark reddish brown color, there might be bubbles rising but I couldn't see inside, The head formed small, 1 finger at most, and faded quickly into some lacing. Nice color but I'd like a bigger head.

Aroma: Sweet caramel and a slight hoppiness.

Taste: Sweet caramel again, some piney hops come through in the middle and dominate the finish.

Mouthfeel: Light to medium bodied, crisp. The carbonation balanced well.

Overall: A decent red ale. Great session beer if nothing else. And for those of us from SE Virginia, it's local.

FenwaySquid, Aug 02, 2010
3.13/5  rDev -4%

On Tap poured into a pint glass.

Look: Dark Amber with a dirty white head, two fingers thick but quickly settles. Medium to thick lacing.

Aroma: Caramel comes on strong, hint of a hop smell, with some earthy notes and a slight chocolate finish.

Taste: Smooth caramel with surprisingly bitter hops finish. Dark roasted malts are subtle underneath the caramel giving it hints of possibly coffee flavor.

Mouthfeel: Light body with low to medium carbonation.

Drinkability: Not the best beer I've had from AleWerks but it makes for a great session beer. None of the flavors come on too strong and overall it is great to share a pitcher with friends.

breweryaprntc13, May 17, 2010
2.83/5  rDev -13.2%

Pours a decent slight copper color with tinges of orange; has a bit of initial head, but no lacing. Decent scent, some malt sweetness, but nothing sticks out. Same with the taste, a very bland, although not bad, flavor; some decent sweet malt grains and notmuch else. Went down fine. I would not turn this beer down, but I would never buy it myself. The lowest of the AleWerks brews I've tried.

JamesS, May 05, 2010
2.58/5  rDev -20.9%

12 oz bottle poured into a nonic.

Maybe I had a bad bottle of this (though I doubt it), but this was bad. Appearance is an average brown copper color, hazed with an un-retentive tan head that leaves no lace a thin crown. Aroma is the worst part of this, very sweet, slightly medicinal, I don't want to think much more about this, but whatever it was, it's not natural. Flavor is average, bready and malty with a mild, dry hop flavor throughout, but my mind might being playing tricks on me on distinguishing how sweet the flavor is compared to the aroma. This was hard to finish the bottle, blindly I never would have called this an amber, I probably would have pegged the style as an American drain pour.

yourefragile, Dec 29, 2009
3.58/5  rDev +9.8%

I am biased. This is one of my favorite beers.

A: Copper and amber hues. Full head to look at.

S: Little bit of a hop aroma. Nothing too amazing here.

T: Clear toasted malt flavor, comes off a bit burnt but that is the point of many amber ales. Slight hoppy bitter finish.

M: Nothing unusual here. Standard feel with less carbonation. No graininess.

D: I could drink this all day.

Tiderion, Sep 10, 2009
3.08/5  rDev -5.5%

Deep brown, maybe slight red notes. A brownie batter color (though the beer is not opaque). Kinda pleasant to my eyes. Off-white head, not too much of it. A little bit of drapery lacing, but not much. The head is certainly nothing to write home about.

A clean nose, nothing really stands out. Whiffs of dough / yeast, a slight citrus twang, caramel malt.

Some caramel sweetness - caramel malt hovers to varying degrees throughout the taste. Dark toast is predominant note, to my mind. Indistinct tangy bittering comes in at the end, is not insubstantial. I'm not sure how I feel about the finish.

Light to medium in body, with lots of tiny, prickly CO2. I'm not huge on the carbonation, but a slightly chewy feel fits - to my mind - the toast aspect of the brew.

TheMistler, May 30, 2009