Coffeehouse Stout - AleWerks Brewing Company

Coffeehouse StoutCoffeehouse Stout

AleWerks Brewing Company visit their website
Virginia, United States

Milk / Sweet Stout |  5.40% ABV

(Beer added by: Riverwarrior on 03-28-2009)

2.5/5  rDev -37%

2.88/5  rDev -27.5%

The beer pours about as dark as one could imagine. It's straight black, with no trace of light coming through even on the sides. A vigorous pour left about a 1 finger head with somewhat poor retention. I felt like I really had to try to get any head to develop on this one.

The aroma at first has a sort of tart roast to it, a decidedly coffee bean oriented smell. It's a bit faint, but it evokes the feeling one would get walking into a coffee shop. Underneath is a hint of smoke, and a touch of caramel sweetness. I do wish the aroma was a bit stronger, as you really have to stick your nose in the glass to get a whiff of this beer. However, everything that does come through is quite pleasant.

At first sip it seems a bit light but pleasant, with a mild vanilla flavor complementing the weak roast. As it's swallowed, it seems to be missing any hint of bitterness though. While it isn't cloying at all, it tastes more like coffee would if you somehow extracted any hint of bitterness, dumped a bunch of cream in, and didn't have much roast at all. Their website has this beer listed as a milk/sweet stout, which seems more appropriate, but that is not how this beer seems to be marketed at all. I went into it expecting a whole different set of flavors. As it warms up a bit I get a little bit more of a coffee roast flavor, but it's still strongly lacking in bitterness.

In the mouth this beer is moderate-light bodied, and has a low but present level of carbonation. The lactose in it leaves a thick coating in the mouth and a slick feeling. Other than that, there's not a lot to the mouthfeel... no warmth, not a ton of substance.

I have to say that I am a little disappointed in this beer. It's not bad, it's not cloying or overly sweet, it's just not what I expected given how it was labeled. If you're being introduced to coffee stouts for the first time or find them to be too bitter or over the top usually, this is probably right up your alley. However, if you're like me and want a coffee stout that's big, bold, and has a little bit of a kick to it, pass this one by.

3.03/5  rDev -23.7%

Williamsburg Coffeehouse Stout has the look down, with a dark brown body, brown head and decent retention and lacing.

The aroma is mostly black coffee with some dark malt backing it up.

This is a coffee stout that is almost all coffee, with notes of black patent malt and hints of chocolate behind it. My problem with this one is a problem I run into with many coffee beers; the coffee flavors are bitter and acrid, making the beer harsh and the coffee flavor hard to appreciate. Like most beers that I find this flavor in, the coffee flavor dominates the beer, so when that flavor is off, the beer itself becomes much less desirable. With that said, the more I drink this, I taste a little bit of a creamy flavor, which imitates a creamer added to coffee. That does mellow things out a little bit (after seeing that this is a milk stout, that makes sense).

Nice amount of carbonation and the body is right where it should be.

I don't know a ton about coffee, but I do know my palate, and these harsh coffee stouts do not agree with me. Maybe a different batch would be better, especially because I have liked all of the other Williamsburg stuff that I have tried.

3.04/5  rDev -23.4%
look: 2.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 2 | overall: 3

Batch: 15JAN13

Black with a very fine point rim of light tan foam, black mirror atop otherwise. Smells of coffee, cocoa, more coffee and pretty much just cold coffee. Flavor is coffee, soil, some bitterness, a little bit of bread, some bits of unsweetened chocolate. Medium bodied with hi carb and an off dry finish; a little less body and a little much carb for the style. Overall decent, quite a bit of coffee which makes it one dimensional.

3.13/5  rDev -21.2%
look: 2.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 3 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.75

I like my coffee black and my beer to have a decent malt presence, so coffee stouts are generally right in my wheelhouse. This one makes a fine but common first impression, with the pour producing a deep, nearly-black brown color, but it is topped by only a fine wisp of a coffee-foam head. The aroma drastically improves my expectations, with a rich, roasty, iced-coffee aroma over more subtle notes of bittersweet cocoa and caramel malts. The flavor lets me down, though, by being surprisingly sweet compared to the aroma, with a heavy caramel malt backbone that overwhelms the roast and coffee characteristics. The texture likewise detracts, with a low-level of carbonation that results in a moderately syrupy feel that further enhances the sweetness. Overall, the beer showed promise, but the over-sweetness and under-carbonation were harmful flaws to the experience.

3.13/5  rDev -21.2%

Wow!! I poured this black beer into my tumbler at 45 degrees. The beer was opaque and poured a really dark head. The smell was like pecan pith. The beer tasted like COFFEE. It had great lacing but tasted like COFFEE. Very dry mouthfeel. If you like cold coffee you will like this. I did not.

3.28/5  rDev -17.4%

Thanks to Bobby for sharing this tick.

A: The pour is a dark brown color, nearing black, with a minimal tan head forming.

S: Not the greatest nose for a coffee beer. I get coffee grounds and acidic, roasted malts. There's some bitter chocolate to the beer as well, and maybe a touch of vanilla.

T: The roasted malts provide a strong flavor as well as some definite bitterness. Definitely a better coffee character than the nose offered, and there's a little caramel sweetness. Overall, though, it's sort of underwhelming.

M: The body is on the thin side, unfortunately, and there's a low to medium carbonation.

D: One of the few beers that I've had from these guys, but this one sort of missed the mark. I wasn't a huge fan of this one, I must say.

3.28/5  rDev -17.4%

Poured into a pint glass

Appearance: Dark brown/black color with a small mocha colored head that faded quickly

Smell: Strong dark roast coffee aroma

Taste: Again, strong coffee presence with a lingering roasted/toasted aftertaste. I didn't pick up on the "creamy" taste that other reviewers have discussed.

Mouthfeel: Most disappointing part of this beer. I thought it was too thin. Watery would be a bit of an overstatement, but it's close

Overall: If you're looking for a coffee-forward beer, I would say that this one is slightly above average. The mouthfeel was too thin for me and detracted overall.

Coffeehouse Stout from AleWerks Brewing Company