Coffeehouse Stout - AleWerks Brewing Company

Coffeehouse StoutCoffeehouse Stout

AleWerks Brewing Company visit their website
Virginia, United States

Milk / Sweet Stout |  5.40% ABV

(Beer added by: Riverwarrior on 03-28-2009)

Heff19, Jan 19, 2012
3.63/5  rDev -8.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3.5

I had this beer last year, and it has changed very much (for the better) so I am doing a re-review.

A: Dark brown...black in the glass. Very minimal tan head with spotted lacing.

S: Very strong coffee scent, a slightly "spoiled" smell like spoiled milk...but it's very faint. Mostly the coffee dominates the flavor and it smells good.

T: Again...coffee is in the forefront. It tastes like a coffee energy drink with lots of carbonation. I gave it a 4 because it tastes just like the label would suggest..."coffee".

M: The mouthfeel feels too bright. It has a lot more carbonation than I'd expect out of a stout. It's to the point where it makes me burp up bubbles.

O: Overall I think it's a pretty good beer...it tastes more like coffee than anything. Unfortunately it feels over-carbonated but that's about it. I would probably drink it again, but it's a toss-up. It tastes more like a coffee stout than it did last year, but it has a soda-like carbonation which makes it hard to drink.

teromous, Jan 16, 2012
3.98/5  rDev +0.5%

A: Poured from a bottle to a pint glass. Had a jet black color and a thick consistency. There was a small amount of head that quickly dissipated. Not much lacing.

S: A huge amount of coffee in the aroma, with some malt as well.

T: Tasted of coffee, first and foremost, with malt, light hops, and a creamy quality in the finish. A much more robust flavor than I was expecting given the style. Pretty good.

M: A good amount of carbonation with a silky smooth finish. Medium-bodied.

O: A solid, likeable, drinkable beer.

avalon07, Jan 16, 2012
3.88/5  rDev -2%

12 oz. Pretty much black, brown around the edges. Just barely a ring of light tan head.

Aroma, strong roast, malt and coffee. Maybe some cocoa.

Taste, much more malty here. Roast malt, sweeter caramel and chocolate. Finish is a little thin, mostly chocolates and mocha latte.

Light side of medium bodied. Adequate carbonation and drinks quite easy because of the lightness for the style.
Really overall it's pretty good, but could use a little "more". I would buy a sixer, probably would be a nice warm weather dark brew.

Bung, Jan 08, 2012
3.03/5  rDev -23.5%

Williamsburg Coffeehouse Stout has the look down, with a dark brown body, brown head and decent retention and lacing.

The aroma is mostly black coffee with some dark malt backing it up.

This is a coffee stout that is almost all coffee, with notes of black patent malt and hints of chocolate behind it. My problem with this one is a problem I run into with many coffee beers; the coffee flavors are bitter and acrid, making the beer harsh and the coffee flavor hard to appreciate. Like most beers that I find this flavor in, the coffee flavor dominates the beer, so when that flavor is off, the beer itself becomes much less desirable. With that said, the more I drink this, I taste a little bit of a creamy flavor, which imitates a creamer added to coffee. That does mellow things out a little bit (after seeing that this is a milk stout, that makes sense).

Nice amount of carbonation and the body is right where it should be.

I don't know a ton about coffee, but I do know my palate, and these harsh coffee stouts do not agree with me. Maybe a different batch would be better, especially because I have liked all of the other Williamsburg stuff that I have tried.

Hojaminbag, Jan 07, 2012

Eriktheipaman, Jan 06, 2012

Texasfan549, Jan 06, 2012

Shilt, Jan 06, 2012

kjkinsey, Jan 06, 2012

IdrinkGas, Jan 04, 2012

pest, Jan 02, 2012
4.43/5  rDev +11.9%

Appearance is dark, all but black, with a finger of creamy foam head. Head dissipates to a persistent lacing on glass.

The smell screams coffee. I can find some malty notes around the edges, but they are eclipsed by the coffee. I love the smell and taste of coffee, so this bodes well.

Taste is mainly of coffee with a little chocolate thrown in. I am in coffee heaven.

This beer says coffee, smells of coffee, and tastes of coffee. My love of coffee may have me biased to think highly of this beer, but wow, i really like it. I truly wish i had bought more than one bottle. I will definitely drink more of this.

littlelorib, Dec 31, 2011
3.73/5  rDev -5.8%

A: incredibly black with a dark tan head that froths and bubbles like a mud pot

S: very dark roasted malts, looks to me like it'd be almost chewable

T/M: burnt malts and strong coffee. Honestly, I find it kind of watery in the mouthfeel though and too thin to hold its own.

thekanna, Dec 30, 2011
4.38/5  rDev +10.6%

A - Dark brown-black and completely opaque. Awesome coffee-colored head that rises to about 1 and a half fingers, then quickly dissipates. No lacing or carbonation to speak of. 4.0

S - Smells like freshly brewed coffee, pipe tobacco, and firewood. Great smell that gives you just a hint of what's to come. 4.0

T - Oh the coffee flavor...how I love thee. Seriously, this brew does a fantastic job of not tasting too sweet, too bitter, or overpowering. It's a very good blend of coffee flavors with beer. Initial sweetness is immediately countered by a subtle bitter/sourness from the hops. Malty, coffee flavors remain afterwards and there is a strong aftertaste of coffee. I think this beer, if anything, tastes friggin amazing. 4.5

M - Smooth and somewhat creamy. No carbonation whatsoever. 4.5

O - Man, this is a damn tasty beer! I'm seriously impressed, and this is the first brew I've ever tried by Williamsburg Alewerks. I'll be sure to try some of their other beers in the next few weeks. 4.5

rudolphjacksonm, Dec 30, 2011
3.5/5  rDev -11.6%

jrohrbacher, Dec 29, 2011

MsRif, Dec 24, 2011
4.18/5  rDev +5.6%

Bottled 12/12/11

Presently, this is ranked #8 in its style class here on BA. Cafe Royale, their other milk stout is #5.

A: Poured opaque, with no light passing through it, and a massive 1.5 finger cappuccino-colored head that stayed a marshmallowy formation for many minutes after the hard pour.

S: It smells just like one of Starbucks, iced foo-foo coffee creations. I friggin love those things! The coffee was very understated and didn't have that pure coffee ground-esque intensity that I hate so much.

T: I truly love the smooth, pillowy finish on this one. Sure, the coffee bitterness is in there, but there was just enough sweetness to cut it without being too. Milk and coffee: Who would have figured? lol

M: Nice and creamy, and with a bitter enough lingering, but not so bitter that I had coffee breate afterwards. The lacing on the glass was substantial.

O: This is a very high quality, fairly low octane, coffee brew that is definitely amongst the best I've tried in its style class. Nicely done!

Chaney, Dec 22, 2011