Coffeehouse Stout - AleWerks Brewing Company

Coffeehouse StoutCoffeehouse Stout

AleWerks Brewing Company visit their website
Virginia, United States

Milk / Sweet Stout |  5.40% ABV

(Beer added by: Riverwarrior on 03-28-2009)
4.25/5  rDev +7.1%

Interestingly enough, I had no idea that this was a sweet/milk stout when I bought it. I'm glad, because I don't think there are enough of those around, as they are very delicious.

On the nose I defiantly get some of that lactose sweetness.. it's an unmistakably a good scent. Behind that, I get a good bit of roast, however no coffee per-se. It smells so good, though, that I don't care about the lack of coffee in the aroma.

Coffeehouse Stout is india ink black in color with a tan head and nice (large) lacing. No light gets though this beer. It looks great!

The flavor is where the coffee comes in. It's the first thing that I taste. Beyond that is a wonderful sweet roast flavor. Like chocolate covered coffee beans sans-chocolate. Quite tasty!

Mouthfeel is full-bodied and moderate carbonation. Overall this is quite drinkable and really really good. Williamsburg Alewerks surprises me again (first surprise was their Pumpkin Ale) with another solid beer.

3.63/5  rDev -8.6%

A: Pours black with two fingers of tan head that fades into a thin ring with no lacing.

S: Lots of robust and roasted coffee aromas on the nose. Underneath lie sweet and creamy chocolate notes, blending well with the more robust coffee aromas. Smells quite good.

T: Roasted malts up front followed by robust coffee flavors. There are some bitter chocolate notes that follow with a finish that is lightly bitter with char flavors.

M: Medium-thick body with lowish carbonation, this beer is slightly watery and could use either more carbonation or a thicker body.

O: A pretty decent coffee stout overall. It smells great, though the flavor doesn't quite match up to the aroma. Still, it's an enjoyable and drinkable beer.

3.28/5  rDev -17.4%

Poured into a pint glass

Appearance: Dark brown/black color with a small mocha colored head that faded quickly

Smell: Strong dark roast coffee aroma

Taste: Again, strong coffee presence with a lingering roasted/toasted aftertaste. I didn't pick up on the "creamy" taste that other reviewers have discussed.

Mouthfeel: Most disappointing part of this beer. I thought it was too thin. Watery would be a bit of an overstatement, but it's close

Overall: If you're looking for a coffee-forward beer, I would say that this one is slightly above average. The mouthfeel was too thin for me and detracted overall.

4.08/5  rDev +2.8%

Batch code: 12/12/11; Poured in a pint glass.

A - 1/2" of creamy mocha colored head that diminishes pretty quickly; Very dark brown color; No lacing to be found

S - This smells almost exactly like a fresh cup of nice roasty, aromatic coffee with a dash of sweet cream in there

T - Freshly roasted coffee is definitely present, but is more balanced in the taste with hints of caramel, chocolate, and lactose sweetness; Grassy and earthy hops step forward a bit from mid-taste into the finish

M - Good amount of carbonation; Just a notch below medium bodied; Smooth, wet and just a little thin in the mouthfeel that finishes a shade on the dry side

O - I have enjoyed every brew that I've tasted from Williamsburg AleWerks and this one continues that trend. While the taste and feel of this beer are solid, the smell is definitely the highlight for me. I have never been one to drink coffee, but I don't think I could ever get sick of this aroma. This is a beer that I will certainly try again, and one that's getting me excited to try another AleWerks offering - Cafe Royale.

3.5/5  rDev -11.8%

4.2/5  rDev +5.8%

The beer is a really deep opaquee brown/black. The smallish head is mocha colored and substaining to a degree. Aroma is rich black coffee beans, roasted malts and hints of cream from the lactose probably. Maybe some bittersweet chocolate. The sweetness of the lactose in this milk stoudt help to mellow out the acidic bitterness. I like that the coffee essence smells like fresh roasted coffee beans instead of black coffee. Richly roasted malts add to the flavor as well as a milky creaminess. It drinks smooth with a velvetty thickness. Pretty good beer more towards a sipper or desert say with a creame burlee.

4.38/5  rDev +10.3%

Poured into a pint glass.

A: Pours black with a red fringe. Has a very short mahogany head that is quickly reduced to nothing.

N: Rich dark roast coffee, sweet chocolate and roasted barley.

T: Sweet milky chocolate and rich dark roast coffee upfront. Mid-palate has more lactose and chocolate, roasted barley and caramel. Finishes with some slightly more bitter dark chocolate, coffee and caramel.

M: Medium bodied, silky, chewy and smooth with some subtle stickiness.

O: Sweet and easy drinking with plenty of coffee notes to go around. This is an excellent Sweet Stout!

3.9/5  rDev -1.8%

Pours black with a dark, tan head. Head diminishes quickly. Predominate nose is the smell of dark coffee beans.

It is very clear that this is a sweet stout made with coffee. The nose and the note that really comes through is a cup of coffee. There is a hint of cream on the palate, lending some smoothness. The carbonation lifts a bit more than I'd like, but seems still within range. Light-medium bodied.

A decent session ale for those who like their stouts sweet and also like coffee. This could go well in a vanilla milkshake or with some muffins (blueberry would be interesting for some flavor contrast).

3.5/5  rDev -11.8%

3.63/5  rDev -8.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3.5

I had this beer last year, and it has changed very much (for the better) so I am doing a re-review.

A: Dark brown...black in the glass. Very minimal tan head with spotted lacing.

S: Very strong coffee scent, a slightly "spoiled" smell like spoiled milk...but it's very faint. Mostly the coffee dominates the flavor and it smells good.

T: Again...coffee is in the forefront. It tastes like a coffee energy drink with lots of carbonation. I gave it a 4 because it tastes just like the label would suggest..."coffee".

M: The mouthfeel feels too bright. It has a lot more carbonation than I'd expect out of a stout. It's to the point where it makes me burp up bubbles.

O: Overall I think it's a pretty good beer...it tastes more like coffee than anything. Unfortunately it feels over-carbonated but that's about it. I would probably drink it again, but it's a toss-up. It tastes more like a coffee stout than it did last year, but it has a soda-like carbonation which makes it hard to drink.

3.98/5  rDev +0.3%

A: Poured from a bottle to a pint glass. Had a jet black color and a thick consistency. There was a small amount of head that quickly dissipated. Not much lacing.

S: A huge amount of coffee in the aroma, with some malt as well.

T: Tasted of coffee, first and foremost, with malt, light hops, and a creamy quality in the finish. A much more robust flavor than I was expecting given the style. Pretty good.

M: A good amount of carbonation with a silky smooth finish. Medium-bodied.

O: A solid, likeable, drinkable beer.

3.88/5  rDev -2.3%

12 oz. Pretty much black, brown around the edges. Just barely a ring of light tan head.

Aroma, strong roast, malt and coffee. Maybe some cocoa.

Taste, much more malty here. Roast malt, sweeter caramel and chocolate. Finish is a little thin, mostly chocolates and mocha latte.

Light side of medium bodied. Adequate carbonation and drinks quite easy because of the lightness for the style.
Really overall it's pretty good, but could use a little "more". I would buy a sixer, probably would be a nice warm weather dark brew.

3.03/5  rDev -23.7%

Williamsburg Coffeehouse Stout has the look down, with a dark brown body, brown head and decent retention and lacing.

The aroma is mostly black coffee with some dark malt backing it up.

This is a coffee stout that is almost all coffee, with notes of black patent malt and hints of chocolate behind it. My problem with this one is a problem I run into with many coffee beers; the coffee flavors are bitter and acrid, making the beer harsh and the coffee flavor hard to appreciate. Like most beers that I find this flavor in, the coffee flavor dominates the beer, so when that flavor is off, the beer itself becomes much less desirable. With that said, the more I drink this, I taste a little bit of a creamy flavor, which imitates a creamer added to coffee. That does mellow things out a little bit (after seeing that this is a milk stout, that makes sense).

Nice amount of carbonation and the body is right where it should be.

I don't know a ton about coffee, but I do know my palate, and these harsh coffee stouts do not agree with me. Maybe a different batch would be better, especially because I have liked all of the other Williamsburg stuff that I have tried.

Coffeehouse Stout from AleWerks Brewing Company