Bourbon Barrel Porter - AleWerks Brewing Company

AleWerks Brewing Company visit their website
Virginia, United States

American Porter |  9.00% ABV

Availability: Spring

(Beer added by: BeerSox on 08-03-2009)
Reviews by hu5om:
4.22/5  rDev -1.2%

thanks to BigTomZ for sharing this delicacy with me! split with newk340 in guiness glasses
a- jet black, thin khaki ring of foam
s-bourbon smokiness and darker malts. chocolate and caramel.
t-very smoky and fairly sweet. chocolate, caramel, toffee, and lingering vanilla smokiness. yum.
m-not that heavy on the palate, really. smoke lingers nicely, a bit viscous. slight, slight heat. what's the abv, because this is going down very easily?
d-i could drink numerous. a most excellent beer. too bad we can't get it in WI very easily. thanks again, Tom.

My favorite beer. So damn complex and drinkable, huge aroma and flavor. As good as any beer I've ever had. Caramel, toffee, brown sugar, molasses, dark northwest cherries, freshly picked blackberries, chocolate, vanilla, coconut, butterscotch, oak, and bourbon. Yea I said all that. One bottle I swear tasted a little coffee even. Beyond smooth, and drinks much bigger than the listed 9%. Must be some damn good barrels, and the base beer is also amazing. Reasonably priced and overall perfect every time. Yes, perfect.

4.28/5  rDev +0.2%

split with hu5om (who received this as an extra in a trade) in guiness glasses.

A: inky black pour with hints of brown, with a thin ring of tan foam around the edges.

S: exceptionally smoky, a slight bourbon burn as a mild after-aroma.

T: front heavy smoke flavors, nearly overwhelming the faint bourbon aftertaste that is noticeable as it slides down the throat. also a mixture of caramel, toffee, and vanilla lost in the abundant smokiness.

MF/D: quick sizzle of carbonation that fizzles on the tongue for a smooth swallow. tastes eerily similar to a stout, but isnt that what an imperial porter should be? leaves a subtle tingling sensation as it warms.

4.33/5  rDev +1.4%

Picked this and a few others up at the Grape and Gourmet in VA Beach while doing an art show with my folks. Great shop too by the way!

Appearance- Pours an opaque black out of the bottle. Very aggressive pour yields about an eighth inch of creamy brown head that shortly turns into a patchy sheet but otherwise sticks around. Mild amounts of lacing left as well while I drink.

Smell- Nose primarily consists of notes of roasted malt, along with lots of wood, vanilla, and bourbon integrated in a big way. Most all of the smells I expect from a good bourbon barrel beer.

Taste- Palate very similar in its emphasis on vanilla and wood right off the bat. Backed up and rounded out with more roasted malt notes, but I also get a lot of dark chocolate flavors coming through here as well. Big but well rounded.

Mouthfeel/Drinkability- Mouthfeel is substantial and creamy and drinkability is very solid for the style. I didn't have any trouble polishing off the remainder of my beer.

Overall, a very solid BB porter. I thought this was a vast improvement over Williamsburg Alewerk's base porter. Worth a try if you can get this beer.

4.25/5  rDev -0.5%

Nice bourbon presence with a deeper porter mouthfeel to help balance it out a bit. Slightly hot but not over powering. Makes me curious about the base beer as this is a fantastic BA Porter. First from Alewerks for me. Def bourbon forward but worth trying if you trend toward more bourbon heavy BA beers.

3.75/5  rDev -12.2%

3.75/5  rDev -12.2%

4.5/5  rDev +5.4%

Bomber into a Brooklyn tulip, between four friends on my balcony. One of the "Last Hurrah" bottles of the night, as my wife and I are moving to New York in exactly one week from Virginia.

As an aside, about two months ago I took a trip with my wife to Williamsburg. Old Williamsburg. And after we were done, we went to the shop, the place in the industrial park, and the guy who was there said it wasn't ready yet. It didn't have the labels. And yet so quickly, here it is. A taste would've been nice, especially from someone who's such a supporter, but alas.

Apparently this is the Rapadou sans caramelized sugar and in bourbon barrels for two months. Two months? Seems a little short to me. We'll see.

Appearance: Expected opaque. Nice mocha head and decent retention. So many of these dark beers end up being exactly the same that I keep yearning for the retention of something like Black Albert after having that. So many the same. This one's good, and like so many others, no different. Can't wait to get this rating over a good eventually.

Smell: Toasted creamy marshmallow, dark fruits, soft chocolate, a bit of coffee, and earthy woodiness. Balanced and good.

Taste: Marshmallow, mild bourbon, caramel, vanilla. Good through and through, but only two months? This should've been at least six, seemingly. Not enough time to soak up the bourbon and wood nuances. This could've been dynamite.

Mouthfeel: Thick and viscous. Frighteningly close to cloying, and yet not so.

Drinkability: Worth it. I like WBA a lot. This one makes me happy to say so. And yet I think it could've been one of those mindblowing brews if it would've been in the barrels a bit longer. This is coming from someone who doesn't know about the logistics, but I feel like it could've reached some awesome places with that time and care. Still, it's worth it, and I like it, and I'll continue to spend the cash on WBA, if I can find it again since I'm moving to New York in a week. If this is my last one, though, I'm cool with that too.

4.13/5  rDev -3.3%

2010 release, # 1730 (of how many? Don't know.)

Pours a golden-tan head, like a marshmallow toasted just right. Color is an extremely dark brown, edging into total blackness. Head doesn't stick around very long, which could mean higher alcohol. Leaves lots of lace splats and strings and splotches on the glass.

The aroma indeed offers a pretty big alcohol bite, although that could also be the very forward bourbon smell playing tricks. Although there's a little bit of roasted grain pushing through, this is basically a bourbon-dominant nose. As advertised, and good, but would be great to have the rest of the beer show itself. Maybe the flavor?

Oh yeah, no problem there. A big mass of gooey melted chocolate is what comes to mind first, while the whiskey and wood props it up and adds depth. It's like dunking a chocolate cake donut into a vat of chocolate fudge frosting then chasing it with a shot of fine bourbon...while sitting in a newly built log cabin (smell that wood!). What needs to happen in a beer like this is balance, and this totally achieves that. Dessert/sweet spice comes through subtly and carries into the finish. The alcohol is present but hardly overbearing. I'm guessing 8-9% range here.

Mouth is creamy and maybe even a little sticky, but never too thick. Does very well by the flavors, matching them nicely. Very smooth.

This is a big-flavored beer, and because the nature of the flavor includes pretty assertive sweet/chocolate, wood and bourbon/alcohol characteristics, it may be a little too bold to consider extremely drinkable, but I'm drinking it and liking it very much. On a hot summer day no less. One of this always-improving brewery's best so far...

Bourbon Barrel Porter from AleWerks Brewing Company