Bourbon Barrel Porter - AleWerks Brewing Company

Availability: Spring

Beer added by: BeerSox on 08-03-2009

Reviews by tard24:
3.5/5  rDev -16.5%

My favorite beer. So damn complex and drinkable, huge aroma and flavor. As good as any beer I've ever had. Caramel, toffee, brown sugar, molasses, dark northwest cherries, freshly picked blackberries, chocolate, vanilla, coconut, butterscotch, oak, and bourbon. Yea I said all that. One bottle I swear tasted a little coffee even. Beyond smooth, and drinks much bigger than the listed 9%. Must be some damn good barrels, and the base beer is also amazing. Reasonably priced and overall perfect every time. Yes, perfect. (520 characters)

4.34/5  rDev +3.6%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

4.25/5  rDev +1.4%

split with hu5om (who received this as an extra in a trade) in guiness glasses.

A: inky black pour with hints of brown, with a thin ring of tan foam around the edges.

S: exceptionally smoky, a slight bourbon burn as a mild after-aroma.

T: front heavy smoke flavors, nearly overwhelming the faint bourbon aftertaste that is noticeable as it slides down the throat. also a mixture of caramel, toffee, and vanilla lost in the abundant smokiness.

MF/D: quick sizzle of carbonation that fizzles on the tongue for a smooth swallow. tastes eerily similar to a stout, but isnt that what an imperial porter should be? leaves a subtle tingling sensation as it warms. (660 characters)

4.16/5  rDev -0.7%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

Completely stunning. From start to finish, it is remarkable. (61 characters)

4.37/5  rDev +4.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

4.32/5  rDev +3.1%

Picked this and a few others up at the Grape and Gourmet in VA Beach while doing an art show with my folks. Great shop too by the way!

Appearance- Pours an opaque black out of the bottle. Very aggressive pour yields about an eighth inch of creamy brown head that shortly turns into a patchy sheet but otherwise sticks around. Mild amounts of lacing left as well while I drink.

Smell- Nose primarily consists of notes of roasted malt, along with lots of wood, vanilla, and bourbon integrated in a big way. Most all of the smells I expect from a good bourbon barrel beer.

Taste- Palate very similar in its emphasis on vanilla and wood right off the bat. Backed up and rounded out with more roasted malt notes, but I also get a lot of dark chocolate flavors coming through here as well. Big but well rounded.

Mouthfeel/Drinkability- Mouthfeel is substantial and creamy and drinkability is very solid for the style. I didn't have any trouble polishing off the remainder of my beer.

Overall, a very solid BB porter. I thought this was a vast improvement over Williamsburg Alewerk's base porter. Worth a try if you can get this beer. (1,133 characters)

4.25/5  rDev +1.4%

Nice bourbon presence with a deeper porter mouthfeel to help balance it out a bit. Slightly hot but not over powering. Makes me curious about the base beer as this is a fantastic BA Porter. First from Alewerks for me. Def bourbon forward but worth trying if you trend toward more bourbon heavy BA beers. (304 characters)

3.75/5  rDev -10.5%

3.75/5  rDev -10.5%

4.5/5  rDev +7.4%

Bomber into a Brooklyn tulip, between four friends on my balcony. One of the "Last Hurrah" bottles of the night, as my wife and I are moving to New York in exactly one week from Virginia.

As an aside, about two months ago I took a trip with my wife to Williamsburg. Old Williamsburg. And after we were done, we went to the shop, the place in the industrial park, and the guy who was there said it wasn't ready yet. It didn't have the labels. And yet so quickly, here it is. A taste would've been nice, especially from someone who's such a supporter, but alas.

Apparently this is the Rapadou sans caramelized sugar and in bourbon barrels for two months. Two months? Seems a little short to me. We'll see.

Appearance: Expected opaque. Nice mocha head and decent retention. So many of these dark beers end up being exactly the same that I keep yearning for the retention of something like Black Albert after having that. So many the same. This one's good, and like so many others, no different. Can't wait to get this rating over a good eventually.

Smell: Toasted creamy marshmallow, dark fruits, soft chocolate, a bit of coffee, and earthy woodiness. Balanced and good.

Taste: Marshmallow, mild bourbon, caramel, vanilla. Good through and through, but only two months? This should've been at least six, seemingly. Not enough time to soak up the bourbon and wood nuances. This could've been dynamite.

Mouthfeel: Thick and viscous. Frighteningly close to cloying, and yet not so.

Drinkability: Worth it. I like WBA a lot. This one makes me happy to say so. And yet I think it could've been one of those mindblowing brews if it would've been in the barrels a bit longer. This is coming from someone who doesn't know about the logistics, but I feel like it could've reached some awesome places with that time and care. Still, it's worth it, and I like it, and I'll continue to spend the cash on WBA, if I can find it again since I'm moving to New York in a week. If this is my last one, though, I'm cool with that too. (2,025 characters)

Bourbon Barrel Porter from AleWerks Brewing Company